• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MajorGripex

Oct 25, 2017
WRuUWOV.png

kabEWzw.png

oKsytY4.gif

Update 1:

-Some possible shenanigans with the voting...
- Or maybe it's just divisive...

This kinda caught my eye. I'm still planning on watching it with my family during the Christmas break but without getting into spoilers anyone care to crack a guess why this is? What gripes do people have with this movie because I'm getting the sense there is a mini-backlash amongst Star Wars fans.

Last edited:

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
RT audience score is so nothing.

In stuff like CinemaScore and PostTrak, which are post-viewing audience surveys that historically are more reliable for a film's prospects, it's scoring incredibly high.

I don't think this is ultimately gonna mean anything. It seems like from general audiences it will have very good WoM.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
This thread will probably turn out to be a flamewar and you wont know which side youre on or the significance to any opinions til you watch the film. But the film is quite different and upset a lot of fans because of it for a number of reasons. Whether or not its bad is up to the individual. Critical reception obviously doesnt feel the same way.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand some people not liking it but it is not worse than Phantom Menace. That movie is horrible.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect on its way to making up the roughly 1.1 million vote deficit the troll responses will be drowned out.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I wasn't planning on seeing this till it came to blu ray but I'm so curious as to what's the problem. Some folks here explained it to me but i think i wanna see it for myself. Good thing im not that into Star Wars.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I didn't enjoy alot of what happened in the movie but its nowhere NEAR the trash that is the PT. WOW.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People on 4chan and the like are review bombing the film, from what I've heard.

Not to say that there aren't those with legitimate complaints, but the negativity seems vastly overblown online compared to what I've seen IRL.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are significant structural, pacing, and writing problems, IMO.

A lot of very questionable decisions were made during the creative process.

It's better than TPM though.

Trying to think of a film where I had similar criticisms - best example might be something like Age of Ultron. It has storytelling problems at a fundamental level.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And deservedly so (cue the hate incoming).

The film is well acted and directed, but the script is just an incredible letdown on every level. Phantom Menace was bad too, but the Duel of the Fates redeems it for me....while there is nothing redeeming in TLJ.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's two camps:

1. People don't like it because it takes a lot of the established mysteries of the last film and discards them in irreverent ways (I personally liked this and thought they were the freshest parts of the film)
2. People don't like it because it's got weird, bad pacing, stilted humor, and a lot of scenes/characters that fall flat (I fall into this camp even though it's an enjoyable film)

Ignore the first, maybe listen to the second, but I think that's more a situation of what you prefer out of your movies.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't surprise me. Part of me thinks The Phantom Menace was better, I mean at the very least it's a quarter of an hour shorter.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Refunding my tickets.

But really, it's day one. Let's see the rating after 1.2 million votes.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's nonsense, it's WAY better than TPM.

People is angry because the movie didn't go the place they wanted to.

Oct 28, 2017
That's just a bunch of edgy contrarian revisionists saying that the prequels were good now that Disney is doing their thing.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
My entire audience loved it. Great film. 80% of the backlash is just weird film nerds not getting the fan fiction they thought up in their heads. Just like when a show doesn't ship the right couple and people send death threats. It's not a perfect film no film is but it's got damn great.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's because the internet is awful.

The average user rating is 3.3, which is clearly a complete joke and does not reflect the general audience. It reflects angry fanboys who were made that their personal fan fiction didn't come true.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen the movie and don't plan to for a while, and I have not been paying attention to the production or hype surrounding the movie. Is this potentially some coordinated attack on the movie by losers on the web who don't like Rey or women or something Luke/Rey or anything like that? Or is it just a response to the movie itself?

nick shaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
its not prequel bad, but its not OT good. same quality as rogue one but for very different reasons. hard to enjoy in general for a layperson, there will be lots of discussions of its length and how silly it is

Skyroar

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good movie with some flaws.

But it's also a good movie that deliberately crashes fans expectations.

Deleted member 22422

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Phantom Menace has a beautiful simplicity and clarity in comparison. TLJ has some good moments but it's painfully convoluted and fan fiction-esque.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Movie in my view as a fan for over 30 years is that it is the best in the entire franchise.

I picture Simpsons Comic Book Man when I see the hilarious complaints about "BUT MUH ORIGINAL TRILOGY HEROES".

People just have a problem with the story being about Rey, it is baffling.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SW has the worst fandom ever. TLJ is the best SW movie besides Empire.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah..for me its boring...it should be 90 minutes movie. I watched it twice because my kids want to see it (my first watch is with my wife), and on my second show i fell a sleep on the first 30 ninutes :( .
My kids kind of like it but they dont have a clue what happened with the story they think its kind of confusing..they enjoy the action though.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen the movie and don't plan to for a while, and I have not been paying attention to the production or hype surrounding the movie. Is this potentially some coordinated attack on the movie by losers on the web who don't like Rey or women or something Luke/Rey or anything like that? Or is it just a response to the movie itself?
We know FOR A FACT that is the case.

4chan (a forum dominated by crazy alt right types) is publicly pushing its users to torpedo the films ratings on user ratings sites like RT and IMDB.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Unfuckable hate nerds are organized and like to shit on things they feel have ripped the status of nerd away from them. This especially goes for 'nerd' things that hit the main stream like star wars, the big band theory. I'm not saying that this movie is good, it's just been a thing for a while.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nonsense, it's WAY better than TPM.

People is angry because the movie didn't go the place they wanted to.

That's kind of accurate, if "the place I wanted it to go" refers to a strong central storyline and subplots that work well and add to it.

I couldn't care less about fan-fiction writers being disappointed. The movie has severe plotting issues.

Would I have preferred the story to go to different places? Sure. But I also wouldn't care that it wasn't what I imagined if the movie still worked well on a fundamental storytelling level.

Skyroar

Oct 27, 2017
Movie in my view as a fan for over 30 years is that it is the best in the entire franchise.

I picture Simpsons Comic Book Man when I see the hilarious complaints about "BUT MUH ORIGINAL TRILOGY HEROES".

People just have a problem with the story being about Rey, it is baffling.
No, people are mad because they were expecting oranges, but got apples. It's not that apples are an inherently inferior food, but it just didn't serve the fans needs.

In time, people will learn to appreciate it more.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Did RT even exist when PM was out I'm sure it would be at a 2 if that film launched today

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

The movie to a certain extent is a deconstruction of fan expectations. I was people watching the audience leave afterwards, and the younger kids seemed to *love* it, but the older audience (30-50) were not happy at all and I heard a few "What the hell?" comments on the way out.

Dark Horizons had a good comment on it:

Here is a series built on formula, classic models of good vs. evil, and themes of legacy – one that embraces nostalgia in the way "Star Trek" embraces diversity. But whereas both 'Force Awakens' and 'Rogue One' so heavily anchored themselves with nostalgia you could argue they were creatively drowned by it, 'Last Jedi' breaks free at points – deliberately deconstructing hero worship, offering unexpectedly subversive takes on existing characters, throwing in some experimental comedy, and boasting a few genuine surprises.

My personal opinion: the series is moving past nostalgia. Fans don't want to let go.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally its a bunch of butthurt old nerds and anti-feminist types at places at 4chan. Pay them no mind.

Film is better than TFA at every single technical level.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Thought people were saying there is an effort by some pissed fans to being down the score. The disparity in the normal RT score should tip you off.