Status
Not open for further replies.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It really sucks.

I can appreciate that they foster new IP. That's a good thing, but one of the big reasons why their Smash brothers clone did so poorly, among other things, is that Sony has refused to foster a broad range of long term IP outside of some tentpoles--God War, GT, and Ratchet.
True and it seems like Japan studio gets hits pretty hard in particular. Sad when their stuff was such a driving force on PS1/PS2/PSP imo (Ape Escape, Parappa/Lammy, Xai, IQ, Arc the Lad, Wildarms, Popolocrois, Alundra/Dual Hearts, SkyGunner, LocoRoco, Patapon, etc, etc).

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
25cbcbe2554a60c6cd2cb708546216c0.jpg

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Talkin' about bugsnax?
yo!

it's Bugsnax

as much as i like ape escape, i don't understand people's love for it as a franchise. Only the original is consider good, all its sequel fails to live up to its premise. And the original game was created to showcase the original dualshock controller, nothing more. It's fun for what is it, using the right stick to swing the net to catch those apes but it simply doesn't have the gameplay longevity to make it a franchise. It's the charm of the original that people remembers, not really the gameplay (at least anecdotally).
we talking about Ape Escape or Star Fox?
got em

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True and it seems like Japan studio gets hits pretty hard in particular. Sad when their stuff was such a driving force on PS1/PS2/PSP imo (Ape Escape, Parappa/Lammy, Xai, IQ, Arc the Lad, Wildarms, Popolocrois, Alundra/Dual Hearts, SkyGunner, LocoRoco, Patapon, etc, etc).

Worth mentioning, I know with PaRappa the Rapper, from what Rodney Alan Greenblat told me awhile back (not sure if I still have his emails, and really scared to look at 15 year old me how I worded some things looking back at that, what he told me awhile back), his company now controls it. So even if Sony wants to do anything (they'd likely still own aspects, such as the game code and stuff), they need his approvals for it. Though, given the PSP Emulated Port, I doubt it'd be that much of an issue, honestly.

PoPoLoCrois's situation is also a little odd, since it's unclear if Sony still has some level of control over it or not. They were heavily involved with the IP up until fairly recently. Though, on that note, it was still pretty damn telling when Sony authorized the game on the 3DS (when they had the Vita).

Still, there's a lot of weird things going on with the Japanese IP side of things for a few titles, but they have a lot there shouldn't have any potential issues. So it's frustrating to see nothing happen with a lot of their legacy stuff, especially Ape Escape since it's one of the games I have very fond memories of. They were supposed to do a mobile game for Arc the Lad and Wild Arms, and yet...

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It always hurts seeing all the characters that didn't make it in. Then seeing things that did like New Dante or Big Daddy....

I would love to see a second go at the game. But to find the right team, provide enough time for development, adequate funding for the licensing characters and general costs. Alongside providing solid gameplay, a solid richful cast that mix well together, well designed UI, online gameplay and potentially a meaningful story mode?

... I'm not saying its impossible, but to create anything on par with Smash and to be a good game on its own just seems like a lot of stress for any team without proper support.

Asapphire541

Oct 19, 2018
Its sucks that a game from the ps3 is getting a full on remake while classic ips in ps2 era and earlier get treated like shit by Sony

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Nope, already called my uncle at Nintendo, the sequel is cancelled. Shame because apparently it has the same roster as Ultimate but with Goku, Twintelle, Masterchief and Knack, the latter is surely a big blow to everyone out there. The blood of losing Knack for Smash bros, is in your hands.
Actually, if Knack gets taken down with the ship, maybe its for the best

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I've been thinking about this today. This could lead into some shitty TGS moment "did you see our Social media posts? Oh the Ape Escaped? Oh no, who will get it back? You? How?' Leads into a Ape Escape trailer

Oct 27, 2017
Asking out of curiosity: Is the Ape Escape series a way bigger deal in the US than here in Europe? I can't remember that series ever being much of a thing here back in the day, much like how Twisted Metal seems to have been a bigger deal in the US than it was here.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017

We didn't even get this.
Sometimes I wonder if maybe Konami is the reason given the Mesal Gear Solid mini-game. They didn't bring the Ape Escape mini-game for MGS3 HD, but that was probably due to also being on 360.

....but freakin' hell, it's such a huge bummer neither the original or 3 (let alone any others) have gotten PSN re-releases, especially when the first game is a PSOne Classic in Japan.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
Man fuck Sony for real, from the Japan only games we didn't get(that psp one where you control monkeys is very fun) to the neglect this franchise has gotten these past 2 generations. Seriously wtf.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I think a major factor is that there aren't that many up and coming new dev teams in Japan to hire out for old IPs. As a long-time JRPG player though, I'd take Wild Arms back first and Media.Vision is actually still around to do it.

people discovering japanese gaming twitter accounts teasing everyone for jack shit is always funny

im so used to this
Pretty much this. Also, always a lot of jumping to conclusions based on badly translated Japanese articles and tweets before better translations come out. I'm used to it too, I still remember all the "we'll do it if people are interested" quotes from Japanese developers last gen.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Asking out of curiosity: Is the Ape Escape series a way bigger deal in the US than here in Europe? I can't remember that series ever being much of a thing here back in the day, much like how Twisted Metal seems to have been a bigger deal in the US than it was here.
I wouldn't know but back in my childhood people knew about Ape Escape during the PS2 era

I would see it being moved around when kids would let other kids borrow each others games

not as much as budokai or final fantasy or Devil May Cry but I'd see the games some times too or people would know about said game when mentioned

I don't think it was as big as Jak or Ratchet though

I think in Japan it is a way bigger deal. It had tons of collab commercials, marketing and even an anime.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was bigger in Japan too, pretty sure one of my first real exposures to it was in MGS3.
Definitely wasn't as big as Jak or Rachet (let alone something like FF) in the gaming stuff I was following back then, but plus it was a long time ago so I can't really gauge its popularity either.

Its sucks that a game from the ps3 is getting a full on remake while classic ips in ps2 era and earlier get treated like shit by Sony
I mean Demon's Souls is the founding game in one of the most breakout hardcore series of games right now, and as the early attempt at the series is a good candidate for updates and remake, and Bloodborne was a system seller with the hardcore early adopters and From is busy with other projects right now, so I don't really get the comparison, despite myself wanting Wild Arms back. Plus it'll be like a new game in the series to a lot of people who discovered it once Dark Souls came out.

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
So the 20th anniversary tweets turned out to be 'just' posting Ape Escape related arts/images...

No new console game, let alone a mobile...

Amazing, superb, ingenious, jaw-dropping, inspiring.

Let the person behind this idea run SIEJA, promote him/her and replace Nicolas Doucet altogether.

I'm sure their latest Japanese games & IPs will flourish under them.

/S

OP
OP
sn00zer

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Well I guess this mystery was solved. Thinking back Im guessing this got axed once whatever decision was made that resulted in Astrobot being the last Studio Japan game.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that you would start an account like this without a project already having been ready for announcement, or at least greenlit, truly boggles the mind. It's fucking Ape Escape, how does a game like that get stuck in development hell?

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
What a waste.

I'm glad that people like (and buy) Ratchet, TLoU, & GoW but Sony has so many other IPs that could be made into special experiences but they toss them aside.

Personally I am really only sold on TLoU as an ongoing series...not counting a Bloodborne sequel.

The other current & ongoing Sony IPs didn't really grab me.

But when I think back to the PS1 & PS2 eras I am astounded that so many IPs were abandoned.
Sure, you could say they didn't sell enough or they only really had one good entry in the series but I refuse to believe that the potential for success was tapped out after only one or two games.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I don't think there was any need to bump this topic.

The idea that you would start an account like this without a project already having been ready for announcement, or at least greenlit, truly boggles the mind. It's fucking Ape Escape, how does a game like that get stuck in development hell?
I assume they had something planned, and that changed.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Japan Studio died on June 23, 2020? Bloomberg said that the downfall was years in the making so it should have happened before this twitter account started.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The OST still goes so hard!

Edit: Wait this was not the thread I was trying to reply too! I'm so sorry!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.