• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I expect not a single fucking thing and will still get disappointed.

Nintendo has no clue what to do with legacy games.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
And it was developed by a completely different studio working on BOTW2. Some of the BOTW staff may have been on board as consultants for the story beats, but it was still mainly outsourced to Tecmo Koei / Omega Force.

I don't see why Tecmo Koei developing and releasing Age of Calamity would result in a completely different studio of EAD / Monolith to delay their work on BOTW2.

It would make more sense to blame COVID for slowing down development pipelines for BOTW2 and folks needing to work from home, but I don't think AoC's release coming from a completely different studio will have any bearing on BOTW2's release being delayed or not.
I didn't mean that AoC slowed down BOTW. What I meant was that 2020 had a Zelda project and there could be more planned and in development that what people are expecting and are rumored.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Want:
  • Complete remake of Ocarina and Majora in the BotW engine
  • 2D Zelda collection (LttP/LBW/Minish Cap)
  • Oracle games remade in LA engine
  • 3D all star collection of WWHD/TPHD/SSHD
  • BotW2

Will get:
  • BotW 2 trailer
  • WWHD and TPHD as separate $60 releases

...and I'll buy both 😑

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it is fair to compare the initial sales of TP to WW. WW was on GC and TP launched on GC and Wii. Many of the sales were because the Wii was huge.
Sure, launching on an appealing and successful console certainly helped TP (just like how being on the Switch helped BotW, put it on WiiU in 2014 and wouldn't have done jack shit for the thing, just like MK8 and 3D World), but I think it's a bit naive and myopic to contribute the bulk of TP's success to just being on the Wii. The game clearly struck a chord with people at a time where stuff like "Powerpuff Link" and Lord of the Rings was fresh on people's minds. Eiji Aonuma pretty much admitted that TP was course correction caused by WW's disappointing commercial performance and the criticism and desires from western fans (not that those people were the majority or anything, WW was critically acclaimed and many enjoyed even at the time, but they were clearly vocal enough to be noticed).

Jan 15, 2019
Lots of the criticisms of wind waker absolutely do hold up. We're just past the point where it's peak nostalgia for the kind of audience that would still talk about WW at all, especially on a place like resetera.

The initial uproar about the graphical style obviously don't hold any weight at all, but the games dungeons are relatively poor compared to both what came before and after, the ocean overworld is the blandest zelda has ever had bar the Sky in Skyward sword, and the game has so clearly had chunks of content including at least two dungeons cut to be pushed out for an earlier release to try and save the floundering gamecube.

No disagreement here. I understand it gaining appreciation over time for its art style but I also feel it has a lot of other flaws (which you mentioned) that don't age well over time. I've always held the quasi-unpopular opinion that Twilight Princess is the better game and it's not really a close race imo.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
A lot is nice. But to be honest, all i need is BotW 2, everything else is just additional icing on an already massively iced cake.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
Best case scenario
- BOTW 2 release
- Collection that has somewhat better legacy content than Mario's anniversary collection had
- Some kind of bigger surprise regarding top down -view Zelda

Worst case scenario
- No BOTW 2

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Lots of the criticisms of wind waker absolutely do hold up. We're just past the point where it's peak nostalgia for the kind of audience that would still talk about WW at all, especially on a place like resetera.

The initial uproar about the graphical style obviously don't hold any weight at all, but the games dungeons are relatively poor compared to both what came before and after, the ocean overworld is the blandest zelda has ever had bar the Sky in Skyward sword, and the game has so clearly had chunks of content including at least two dungeons cut to be pushed out for an earlier release to try and save the floundering gamecube.
Well, yeah, there is a lot with WW that can be criticised. It all has been ignored back then because of the artstyle.
I still prefere it to TP in many aspects. Lore/Artstyle/Characters/Ganondorf are all better, the music is better, and imho links movement and the items feel more satisfying in Wind Waker. The dungeons are a clear downfall, the sailing is a bit to barren, hint for sharts at the end was just padding. Overall i enjoy it just more than TP.

Nintendo has no clue what to do with legacy games.
Well they did earn a lot with legacy games over the last 20 years for not knowing what to do with them.
(But yeah, they could handle them a whole lot better, no doubt, especially from a consumer perspective)

Yeah, Nintendo are known for creating story and cutscenes later on in the development process.
"late" can mean a lot. its better to create them late since youre not hampered with decision while designing the gameplay,
but late can mean 1-2 years before release instead of planning them from the beginning.

Oct 27, 2017
I think this will happen:
  • Zelda OOT/MM Collection. Using Mario 64 emulator, not 3DS versions. $40. Summer 2021 (July)
  • Zelda WW/TP HD collection. Based off Cube/Wii emulators. I know. $40. Early fall (September)
  • Zelda SS HD DX. Most changes. Still uses Wii emulator. Option for traditional controls. $40. Holiday (Oct/Nov)
  • Zelda BoTW 2 trailer and release date announcement for March 2022, 5 year anniversary of Switch.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I think this will happen:
  • Zelda OOT/MM Collection. Using Mario 64 emulator, not 3DS versions. $40. Summer 2021 (July)
  • Zelda WW/TP HD collection. Based off Cube/Wii emulators. I know. $40. Early fall (September)
  • Zelda SS HD DX. Most changes. Still uses Wii emulator. Option for traditional controls. $40. Holiday (Oct/Nov)
  • Zelda BoTW 2 trailer and release date announcement for March 2022, 5 year anniversary of Switch.
None of those would be 60$ lol, easy full price.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition ported to Switch as another limited free release as per before.

donpiano

Nov 15, 2017
Some kind of HD collection similar to Mario 3D All-Stars, a release date announcement for BotW 2 (which I think will be in 2022), and a smaller scale project (hopefully a new full blown top-down game).

C.Tsubasa

Nov 8, 2017
Man c'mon, what about your family? You don't need to waste time getting harassed by us for vague teases about upcoming Nintendo releases, take it easy

am a member here and i can post what i think, for the love of god not everything is a hint.

If even this turns out to be a C.Tsubasa hinted that .. thing... than please mods just delete my account.

Oct 6, 2019
My prediction:
1- SS HD (with a possible Dlc)
2- Oracles of Seasons/Ages remakes
3- Botw2 (2021/2022 it depends on how covid-19 will affect this year)
and maybe the tv-series of Zelda

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

"Well, shit, Cap'n, that all you had to say!"

samuel_l_jackson_pulpfiction.jpg

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
It would be dope if Nintendo prepare to launch BoTW2 along with Switch Pro. Make it a special bundle or something.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
I would bet on a Zelda Skyward Sword remake, hopefully with drastically improved QOL features like faster text, being able to make Fi shut up, Pro Controller support etc.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
WWHD, TPHD, and SSHD for $60 each. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on eshop using the same emulation solution as Mario 64. And finally BotW2 launched with a limited-edition golden Switch... not Pro.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
Somehow I am of the opinion that the next Zelda comes out in March 2022 together with the new stronger Switch System.

In a way it celebrates 5 years of Nintendo Switch and 5 years of TLOZ BotW. At the same time it is in the 2021 fiscal year.
Other option is of course in fall/winter :).

Otherwise I think there will be a repeat of the Mario anniversary. Merchandise, Lego perhaps, Game and Watch.

Same will happen for Metroid but will be extended to 2022 for Metroid Prime 4 release as well. So I think we get the Trilogy this year or early 2022

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
am a member here and i can post what i think, for the love of god not everything is a hint.

If even this turns out to be a C.Tsubasa hinted that .. thing... than please mods just delete my account.
I missed having you around in discussing, so hopefully we can avoid analyzing everything you say.

But I know ERA. I don't think that's possible.

OP
OP
Multievolution
Jun 5, 2018

That's totally fair, I feel like it's in large part because of how Nintendo has been keeping their cards so close to their chest and because of how trusted you are that your every word is taken as having a secret meaning and that must be a right pain,

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Well what's the absolute bare minimum effort Nintendo could do to make money out of this?

Zelda all stars - twilight p, wind Waker - straight port of the HD vetdions, skyward sword - basic port no changes made at all

Some animal crossing event
A gold switch would be nice but let's make it £40 extra for no reason

And a green game and watch with og legend of zelda on it

OP
OP
Multievolution
Jun 5, 2018
Well what's the absolute bare minimum effort Nintendo could do to make money out of this?

Zelda all stars - twilight p, wind Waker - straight port of the HD vetdions, skyward sword - basic port no changes made at all

Some animal crossing event
A gold switch would be nice but let's make it £40 extra for no reason

Unless they release a sensor bar that works with the switch there's no way to release skyward sword on switch with no changes, expect at least that much.