Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I hate it. That last ending sequence is weird and feels out of tone with almost everything else, even in a game like Odyssey that is jumping around everywhere in tone. The idea of possessing Bowser is so fucking cool but then playing as him is a total letdown because instead of being the giant super powerful villain you fight him as he's a slightly bigger character who anemically swipes at things and breathes fire in a very meh way. I wanted to ride in the clown car or smash through the floor ala Mario 3 or throw Mecha-koopas, or anything that Bowser is really known for doing, and you get none of it, it just feels like Mario could be doing the exact same motions with no real difference. The camera perspective doesn't provide this feeling and the total barren quality of those rocky environments provides no sense of scale or fragility to make Bowser feel like the super powerful monster he's always been. Even the T-Rex from the first kingdom feels bigger and more frightening, and he's a total letdown in his right too. It's a total monkey's paw moment where it feels like they wasted an opportunity to do something extremely cool and just put in a weird sequence of breaking stone pillars for no apparent reason in a sequence that doesn't connect to anything in the game or earlier in the series.

As a song Jump Up Superstar is an all time great because it strikes a good balance between the cheesy, over the top qualities of a vocal song in Mario while also managing to sound like a genuine love letter to the series, but this song is just cheesy and felt like it came out of nowhere with little buildup or followup. Also I distinctly remember thinking at the time how it was weird that Pauline was singing again and wondering if she was somehow trapped inside the moon too and we would save her along with Peach as well. The mixing of a diegetic song like JUSS and this felt off in that moment

Last edited:

StrmSrg

Oct 26, 2017
Louisiana
This song was super unexpected when I first got to the end, but I feel that it fit the ending better than it had any right to. Good choice.

But I don't think I like the song outside that context i.e. I won't seek it out to listen to.

Jump up Superstar is the much better overall song. So unabashedly joyful.