Votes: 88 19.6%
  • Spider-Man (PS4)

Votes: 361 80.4%

• Total voters

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
How could those two things elicit even remotely similar responses?

Aunt May was a damn saint who put everyone before herself.
Joker killed children.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm supposed to feel bad about a mass killer psychopath??

Peter meanwhile has nearly lost EVERYTHING, every adult role model for him is either dead or an insane villain.
Joker dies all the damn time. The last time Aunt May died it irreparably broke Peter's character.

Spider-Man, no contest.
Why are these pluses for Spider-Man when we haven't seen the impact yet and in City's case there's a whole half of the story dedicated to exploring the impact in the sequel?

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I honestly dont remember Arkham City hitting at all. Ask this again in a few months, maybe it's just cause Spider-Man is so new

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think both were done super well, but Spider-Man resonated with me especially because it speaks so much to Peter as a character, the strength he's able to maintain to do the right thing even at the highest costs, and just how terribly unfair the world is to him for all the good he does.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I haven't played Spider-Man, but if it's not terrible, it wins by default. Arkham City is every bad Batman story trope crammed into one game. If you want a good Batman video game story, read Zero Year by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are these pluses for Spider-Man when we haven't seen the impact yet and in City's case there's a whole half of the story dedicated to exploring the impact in the sequel?

The impact is personal for Peter. Even if nothing 'happens' its still the loss of a loved one.

Joker is someone a guard at Arkham should have accidentlaly discharged his gun on years ago.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Batman didnt got a tear out of my eyes so obviously Spider-Man.

Also one is the best Aunt ever and the other a psycho that Batman should have killed a long time ago.

Aunt May dying was some real emotional shit.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I...kinda cheered when Joker died? Am I supposed to feel sad for a billionaire vigilante losing his playmate?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure it's comparable.

Spider-Man hit you with Aunt May's death. She was a great woman who only wanted to help others. .
Spider-Man hit you with Peter and Otto's fallout which happened entirely in 1 game. You helped that man become a monster.
And to a much lesser degree, Spider-Man hit you, hell, Harry is hooked up to some tank due to a symbiote. He's "sick." I felt bad reading what happened to him after those Research Station missions.

Joker dying was sad but Aunt May and Otto are just a different level entirely. Joker did it to himself.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Couldnt even remember the end of Arkham city (as is the case with the stories in all the Arkham games in fact) so Spiderman wins by default. Lol

I will say though. Spiderman was the first game I've ever played that actually made me cry .The performance at the very end was really convincing.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot aunt May even died at the end of Spider-Man, I thought this was about Jokers death vs the death of the bromance between Doc Oc and Peter Parker. But yeah Jokers death was more of a shock imo, Aunt Mays death was predictable and forgettable imo.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
The ending to Spider-Man actually felt like a punch to the gut. Arkham City, while still good, wasn't really as impactful as it was really Joker screwing himself over.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
We were supposed to care about the joker dying? lol

Care about the greatest villain in comic history... yeah you probably should.

That said the emotional impact of the Spider-Man scene is the best I've seen in a comic game. Just brutal for Peter, the actors sold it, I couldn't believe they did it.

Arkham City was crazy as well, I was shocked through the whole credits sequence (amazing song by Hamill). They were allowed to tell the death of Joker story, sure it's not comic cannon but in a way it's the cartoons/games way of saying bye to Mark Hamill's iconic role, a legend. Incredible ending to a far better game.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Joker's death wasn't supposed to be a tear jerker, it was meant as a bitter sweet send off. As for what was better, Joker. May's death felt like a combination between Slott's schadenfreude with Peter and the writers just wanting to get rid of her since they seemed bored writing her.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Care about the greatest villain in comic history... yeah you probably should.

That said the emotional impact of the Spider-Man scene is the best I've seen in a comic game. Just brutal for Peter, the actors sold it, I couldn't believe they did it.

Arkham City was crazy as well, I was shocked through the whole credits sequence (amazing song by Hamill). They were allowed to tell the death of Joker story, sure it's not comic cannon but in a way it's the cartoons/games way of saying bye to Mark Hamill's iconic role, a legend. Incredible ending to a far better game.

I don't care about any villain dying. If anything I'm agitated by how often Batman should have killed him only for him to keep escaping. It's even more fitting since Joker technically killed himself.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I was tired of the Joker by the end of Arkham City, so I didn't really care much about his death.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously? Joker dying was shocking at most. Barely sad. Aunt May's scene was much heavier because of their relationship. We know just how much they mean to each other, and seeing Peter struggle to choose between Aunt May and New York was so damn heartbreaking. The entire Arkham series doesn't get anywhere close to the emotional moments of Spider-Man.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
No one gives a shit when any comic book character dies. They'll come back. Turning evil tends to (but not always) lasts longer.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Arkham City is my favorite game of all time.

It's not close. It's Spider-Man.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Spiderman.

Pete loses his 3rd dad and 2nd mom within like 10 minutes of each other. He does not have a good track record for parental figures.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How is this a question? Joker is a mass murderer who gets himself killed due to his own stupidity.

Aunt May sacrifices herself to save others, even knowing she's the last family Peter has.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely Spider-Man. The Arkham games do nowhere near the legwork building up the emotional connection that happens with Peter's relationships in Spider-Man. The scene where he has the vial of the antidote and is debating back and forth if he should just stick the needle in and save her is so well done.

Oct 25, 2017
Neither, I never finished Arkham City and I felt that Aunt May death was far too early as I barely got a sense of hers and Peter relationship or how she knew that he was Spider-Man and exploring that route.

Plus no-one really stays dead in comic books.
It's not that hard even with what they gave you in the story.

When Feast is on fire and they're calling Peter over and over, Spider-Man shows up.
When she's on her deathbed, what reason would Spider-Man possibly have to be there.

8 years of that kind of thing?

Oct 25, 2017
Dude it's Aunt May. Spider-man was weeping.
I didn't see any tears on Batman's cheek for the insane clown murderer that crippled his friend. And if I did it would be pretty fucked up.

Spider-man's moment hit way harder.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Arkham City to me is a very fun game but emotionally engaging it was not. I enjoyed being batman doing batman things but the narrative/writing never made me connect with Bruce's struggles on an emotional level. Spiderman did exactly that by providing me a look at the relationships he treasures and the little bit of normality he has going in his life.

Also what got me emotional isn't really May's death itself necessarily but that Peter did not only not make the choice to save her but I actually felt that he couldn't based on the person he is given the past he shoulders. There is a certain helplessness that I felt in that scene that got me. Something about tragedy that is preventable but at the same time also isn't.

Last edited:

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
Spider-Man. Not even a competition in my book.

The ending scene in Batman was nicely done and all but even if Joker's death actually properly stuck... eh...who cares.

Maybe it's because I'm not a huge comic fan, but the hodgepodge story of Arkham City was pretty underwhelming even at the time for me personally.

Spider-Man's ending was strong all around because they actually made Doc Ock an interesting and likeable character and then shit happens.

Plus Yuri Lowenthal sold the heck out of those lines during all of the ending. So even if Aunt May was your stereotypical goody two shoes candidate to be offed in order to impact the hero, it actually still worked for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed out loud when May died. So cliche and you could see it coming from a mile away. I also didn't give a fuck about her character. She literally has like ten minutes of screen time cutting up carrots and shit.

Joker was at least interesting and unexpected.
And taking care of sick people while she herself is coughing up blood. Keeping Feast running after Lee's arrest. But yeah, carrots. Hilarious.

Monster.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Aunt May's death didn't really made me sad, it felt rushed. Joker's dead didn't saddened me either, it was time. I like Arkham Assylum the best though.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that hard even with what they gave you in the story.

When Feast is on fire and they're calling Peter over and over, Spider-Man shows up.
When she's on her deathbed, what reason would Spider-Man possibly have to be there.

8 years of that kind of thing?

Seriously. You get the full idea of what their relationship is like from their very first phone conversation.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dude they killed Aunt May.

Aunt May

I have been reading Spider-Man for 30 years and they have never made this man suffer as much as they made him slog through this game. The next game better end with him being filthy rich with a harem or something.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man for sure. That ending got me in my feelings although both scenes have nothing to do with each other, but it reminded me of the following gif & that got me even harder.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
An older person who has devoted her life to helping the homeless, even in a time of crisis

Or

A homocidal manic who delights in tormenting innocent people, and shows no remorse or humanity

idk

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Seriously? Aunt May is like the sweetest old woman in fiction. The Joker has been sympathetic in the past but the Arkham version is not like that at all.