• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should Marvel do

• Recast Shuri

Votes: 99 14.0%
  • Recast T'challa and Fire Letitia

Votes: 228 32.3%
  • M'Baku Black Panther

Votes: 103 14.6%
  • Cancel it then Soft Reboot it down the line

Votes: 76 10.8%
  • Bring back Michael B. Jordan

Votes: 199 28.2%

• Total voters

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017

With the current controversy with Letitia Wright I was wondering what would be the best course of action for this franchise, like the future of this franchise was already in a questionable position with the passing of Chadwick and now we have the new face of it being a outspoken Shithead

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer we recast T'Challa and Shuri and just keep going. If we can't do that, just make the Panther mantle shared between Okoye, Nakia and M'Baku.

I do not want to see Killmonger again.

EdenOfTheEast

Banned
Jul 1, 2020
Not feeling this rush to cancel some good black actors because of some dumb shit they say - Hope she learns a lesson doe

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
She was known to be anti-vax before filming ever started. If they wanted to fire her because of it, they would have.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
At this point they're probably going to play it through.

If I were running the show I'd recast T'Challa and run a plot line that eventually ended with Shuri taking on the mantle.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I would prefer we recast T'Challa and Shuri and just keep going. If we can't do that, just make the Panther mantle shared between Okoye, Nakia and M'Baku.

I do not want to see Killmonger again.

I feel recasting the main character would be bad given how iconic he was and his status with his actor no longer with us. What do you do for future merch or references?? Reference the old or current actor playing him? :S

Recasting Shuri feels way easier than getting rid of Chadwick Bosman (and I'm specifically using his name there).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel recasting the main character would be bad given how iconic he was and his status with his actor no longer with us. What do you do for future merch or references?? Reference the old or current actor playing him? :S

Recasting Shuri feels way easier than getting rid of Chadwick Bosman (and I'm specifically using his name there).

I adore Chadwick, and obviously I don't make that decision lightly, but I think T'Challa is too important of a character to just erase.

There's really no winning play here, though. Any option they choose is going to result in some pain, and I expect Disney to do absolutely nothing. They'll just let Wright's TERF and anti-vax bullshit slide. I wish I could expect them to do better.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wakanda is too advanced to be a monarchy anyway. Just say they were overthrown off screen and start with M'Baku's inauguration as Prime Minister.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
They're already making it. I️ doubt it matters what we think.
Based on the last thread I️ doubt they're gonna make shuri BP so I️ assume there's gonna be a few BPs running around

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Going to trust in Coogler and Feige and see how the film turns out. Expectations are low.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
None of the options presented are going to happen. They're going to release it as is. Reconsider for future if she's actually bring negative publicity to the movie.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Huh? What IS there "to do" about BP? The movie is in production and filming already, w/e they're doing is done and decided.

I'm fine with them seemingly making this a 2 hander with Shuri and Riri.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Why does there have to be a sequel? I thought the movie was great and stands on it's own.

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area
Knowing that they've already settled on putting t'challa to rest, I'm on team Michael Jordan. Whether that be time or multiverse shenanigans. Heroes aren't perfect and villains can become one and seek redemption. Iron man caused more damage than killmonger ever could 🤷🏽‍♂️

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Wright is not even close to toxic enough with the general public to be dropped. Like Chris Pratt.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I adore Chadwick, and obviously I don't make that decision lightly, but I think T'Challa is too important of a character to just erase.

There's really no winning play here, though. Any option they choose is going to result in some pain, and I expect Disney to do absolutely nothing. They'll just let Wright's TERF and anti-vax bullshit slide. I wish I could expect them to do better.

Yeah, that's definitely not wrong either

Basquiat

alt account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
We choosing the next person to Stan before the OG's even been cancelled now. Things move fast nowadays.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
You dont "recast" T'Challa. Instead, they should introduce someone new in Black Panther 2, that will eventually take the mantle of Black Panther. Have BP2 be about Wakanda after losing its King, and the struggle that that creates. Then Shuri and everyone else gets to shine for a film, while setting up the next person to take over as the Black Panther.

It can be a fresh start and I dont see Shuri lasting.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
The move I liked, other than recasting, was M'Baku becoming the new Black Panther. He was literally inches away from becoming Black Panther in the first film with the royal family's blessing even, so it made all the sense in the world.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Maybe controversial opinion but Michael B Jordan does nothing for me. Killmonger was boring, he showed no range in that movie.
His acting was very spotty. He also has 1/3 of Boseman's charisma and screen presence so it would be a major downgrade.
I dont know who you could even cast for T'Challa, so I would just make M'Baku the Black Panther or Okoye.
Letitia can go.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Why is Nakia never a real part of these conversations? She's already a badass agent who in act one was already pushing for Wakanda to help more people. She, Okoye, and M'baku leading Wakanda in a possibly tense coalition would be really cool to me.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't really understand the point of a "what should be done" discussion or this poll when we don't even have a trailer for the movie and some of the options aren't even possible at this point.

The film is halfway through filming.

They are not cancelling it. And they are not recasting T'Challa. It is time to let the recast idea go.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I don't really understand the point of a "what should be done" discussion or this poll when we don't even have a trailer for the movie and some of the options aren't even possible at this point.

The film is halfway through filming.

They are not cancelling it. And they are not recasting T'Challa. It is time to let the recast idea go.

FYI, the screenplay has been rewritten multiple times while filiming.

ew.com

Angela Bassett says there have been 5 versions of the 'Black Panther' sequel script

'Black Panther' star Angela Bassett says there have been 'about five incarnations' of the sequel script with another on the way.

It seems even the fillmmakers are not 100% certain about the direction for BP2.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Pipedream thread tbh but recast tchalla and booting Shuri would be the best.

It's all in motion now anyways. Just gotta deal with what they're doing now or choose not to watch it either

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
FYI, the screenplay has been rewritten multiple times while filiming.

ew.com

Angela Bassett says there have been 5 versions of the 'Black Panther' sequel script

'Black Panther' star Angela Bassett says there have been 'about five incarnations' of the sequel script with another on the way.

It seems even the fillmmakers are not 100% certain about the direction for BP2.

What? No. That article is from July 8. Filming for the movie had only started a few days prior to that.

It hasn't been "rewritten multiple times while filming." She is referring to the multiple versions of the script that existed prior to the start of production.

There are edits to scripts all the time during filming, of course. But they're now over three months into a six month shoot. The script is not being rewritten and they absolutely know the direction at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how the comics work but the original film hyped up an idea of superhero versions of each tribe leader depicting each animal. I know it's called Black Panther, but I'd love to see the other animal outfits and attributes no matter how Tokusatsu-like that is lol. It would help give M'Baku a leading role without replacing T'Challa's spot 1:1 (though a new BP would still be needed).