Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that Halo Hololens demo? Well, the Army is using hololens and the tech:
The HoloLens system was incorporated into a platform known as the Augmented Immersive Team Trainer that lets Marines plan missions and conduct "what-if" simulations while looking at a real-world terrain.

The wargaming software, which is called Interactive Tactical Decision Game, or I-TDG, can overlay a view of the environment with virtual objects ranging from ground vehicles and aircraft to explosions and other battlefield effects.

That's eerily similar to what we heard about at E3, though the video didn't show much:
Arc.png

I ended up getting curious about whatever small connection there was and looked some things up. I've always heard games like CoD/Battlefield/America's Army/etc be used as examples of the military-entertainment complex so i'm really shocked at just how much effort was put into using Halo as a recruitment tool.

the army experience center spent $12 million on some arcade in north philly (they had the lowest enrollment rate at that time) aimed to get young people interested in the army, weird but they have games like america's army, but this stood out:
After checking in at the front desk, hordes of young men race toward the three rows of Xboxes, playing tournament games of Halo, America's Army and Madden, as well as to the Apache and Black Hawk attack helicopter and Humvee combat simulators."

whatever, not too strange. it eventually closed and they chalked it up as an experiment.

but then i found out that the army experience center actually came after the "Virtual Army Experience" which was essentially a traveling road show that allowed civilians to experience combat. not only were you required to give all info to participate but they tracked you while you were inside the experience:
Moments before attendees entered the tent, Army personnel registered them, scanned their driver's license photos, and took down their age and contact information in the span of 90 seconds to two minutes. Welcoming 46 attendees at a time into the VAE, the Army surveyed visitors on their personal interests and goals as well as educational levels and when they might be making decisions about their careers. Then staffers fed the deluge of data into a networked, GPS-enabled series of scanners and handheld computers connected to RFID badges (aka "Blue Force Trackers") issued to every prospect that tracked their movements in the 150-by-130-foot area. "That was when we started our reconnaissance," Wardynski says.

But that recon was much more involved than a simple observe-and-report approach. Supplied and programmed by Carrollton, TX-based Fish Software Inc., the Blue Force Trackers, named for the RFID-based system the military uses to track its own soldiers and equipment in combat, broadcast data as far as 200 feet away to the Army personnel waiting inside. Programmed by Huntsville, AL-headquartered U.S. Army Software Engineering Directorate, Aviation and Missile Research, Development and Engineering Center, the VAE's central server learned from the badges' sensors how close visitors were to the on-site recruiters. The server then relayed attendees' location and information to nearby recruiters' handheld PCs. After staffers interacted with a prospect, they updated his or her propensity to enlist — a calculation based on the attendee's stated goals and interests, current educational status, whether the attendee is considering the armed forces as a career, and if the attendee expressed an interest in Army programs that help pay for college. That updated information was then communicated back to the central server, which crunched the data and automatically re-ranked the visitors based on the likelihood of future enlistment.

which was also around the time of the army strong campaign and right before Halo 3's release.

As great as the Believe campaign is, I thought it was weird that the Army won awards for it.
During the toughest recruiting environment in U.S. history, the goal was to bring Army service into young adults' consideration by intercepting their passion for gaming through the media sponsorship of the Halo 3 Xbox Live Tournament. Extending this sponsorship to multimedia touch points allowed a fully immersive soldier experience, helping prospects understand what it means to serve and inspire them to experience further at goarmy.com. The program shattered all expectations for click-throughs and downloads and generated nearly double leads' projections.

The Army also sponsored the first Halo 3 Xbox Live tournament and set up 3 basic training challenges up to the tournament (sniper school, heavy weapons, vehicles) in return for Microsoft allowing them to have their own blade on the dashboard to advertise it and the army:
To further ensure that players are trained to the top of their games, the Army is also hosting a Branded Destination Experience site on Xbox LIVE. When the program begins, gamers will be able to access the site via their Xbox LIVE dashboard, gaining access to a Tips and Tricks section containing several videos and dedicated to providing the best combat strategies and advice experts have to offer.

Strengthen your skills. Prepare for the Halo 3 Championships March 2008 with this series of Basic Combat Training Camps: Sniper School, Heavy Weapons, and Vehicle Training. Each training excercise will help give you the skills and strength to succeed in the Championship.

It takes discipline, confidence, instinct, and most of all, training, to become one of Halo 3's sniper elite. Sniper School offers you training videos, an elite U.S. Army Theme Pack, exclusive Army Strong® Gamer Pictures and even great prizes! 1,250 players will each win 800 Microsoft Points (ARV $10) and one Grand Prize winner will also receive a limited addition, framed piece of commemorative Halo 3 artwork (ARV $385). Each day you play is another chance to win!

In honor of the first Basic Combat Training Camp: Sniper School, the U.S. Army is sponsoring an exclusive Free Gold Weekend on Jan. 19th & 20th. Download the Sniper School Registration Picture now to register. See xbox.com/usarmy for more information and full sweepstakes rules.

now i'm not saying this was all coordinated just because the army tested using Halo to recruit young adults or because Halo 3 had those us army zunes, but:
army-halo-3-integration-with-gaming-6-728.jpg

army-halo-3-integration-with-gaming-10-728.jpg

army-halo-3-integration-with-gaming-11-728.jpg

Source: https://www.slideshare.net/mccannny/army-halo-3-integration-with-gaming-1604165

and a presentation from the president of one of the marketing teams also talks about using games (direct reference to AA, Halo and Battlefield 2) as recruiting tools. Lots of talk about leveraging a killer game:
https://ams.aaaa.org/eweb/upload/webcasts/digital07/johnson.pdf

The head of 343 Industries also just left for a new position on the hololens team to widen its use as an education tool, which seemed like a weird coincidence. I also think it's funny they directly reference Halo when talking about future weapons:
https://www.army.mil/article/95316/...ncements_in_modern_warfare_weapons_technology

https://www.wired.com/2012/11/emp-grenades/

https://gizmodo.com/256147/covenant-beware-us-army-developing-plasma-shields

Stars and Stripes (acknowledged in an above slide) posted a pic of SOCOM's new exosuit:
image.jpg

and when China said we were making iron man suits, they used a cap from a Halo fan movie:
194saxhmvq3bbjpg.jpg

So even if it's not being used to recruit, i wonder what power it holds as propaganda/american exceptionalism. Does this bother you any; is there anything wrong with the army using these types of tools to recruit new soldiers?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Gamers that spend as much time as they do killing each other online make for enticing recruit material. This is both sad and terrifying, but also an unspoken truth.

The military isn't going to just come out and say, "Hey, Gamer Bros! You like killing faceless evil online? Join the army and do it for real!" The spirit of this marketing is still the same.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
This is fascinating yet strange but it makes sense for them to want to appeal towards people who play games to feel like team players, heroes, etc etc.

This also explains why there have been army ads plastered across the 360 and Xbox One dashboard for like a decade.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We played lots of Halo 3 in Afghanistan.

...then CoD4 came out. Then we played that. Pretty much just that.

OP
OP
Rembrandt

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Angry young male gamers are ripe for military service.

I expected Call of Duty, not Halo.

But Microsoft has a contract with the military so it kinda makes sense?

There's just a very weird connection to the actual army with Halo 3, though. You can honestly draw lines between the army's "stay strong campaign" and the real heroes thing with the action figures and everything about Halo 3's ad campaign. The whole "Believe" campaign, the memorial, the fake videos replicating the Army's, the diorama being explictly designed around war-torn Afghanistan neighborhoods, the army's ad campaign rolling out around the same time they use Halo to bring young people in.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Damn OP. I didn't realize there was that much of a rabbit hole to fall into.

Short of paintball/airsoft or hunting, there really aren't any other hobbies or skills that lend themselves to killing for the US other than videogames. I mean, physical fitness, sure, but a lot of shooters are "murder simulations" to grossly over-simplify it, so yeah, like others have said. Why not try it for real, and for money? Military!

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
Modern Warfare and Halo 3 came out months apart.

and the actual army is heavily featured in MW?

The smash success of previous Halos was known about, people didn't know Modern Warfare was going to become a phenomenon. You can say that it is weird that it's halo and not call of duty but Halo makes perfect sense as well. Most people who played Modern Warfare that I knew growing up were also heavily into Halo, it appeals to a lot of the same console fps crowd.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has long been complacent twords the US government. It's not a shock to me that they'd help with recruitment.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
It would be much cooler to be a spartan than a bog standard cod marine too bad the US Army isnt recruiting for that I would have to change citizenship.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I am reminded of this video

Some parts seems a bit of a reach to me but from what I gather, Halo fans REALLY like the military themes.

OP
OP
Rembrandt

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The smash success of previous Halos was known about, people didn't know Modern Warfare was going to become a phenomenon. You can say that it is weird that it's halo and not call of duty but Halo makes perfect sense as well. Most people who played Modern Warfare that I knew growing up were also heavily into Halo, it appeals to a lot of the same console fps crowd.

Call of Duty 2 and 3 were big successes. People just didn't know 4's multiplayer would be revolutionary like that.

The series still seems like a better fit than Halo, especially since one of the ad companies they used for Halo 3 also represented Activision, iirc.

i'm assuming it's both subtlety and that Halo is just a story about the US miltary doing all this amazing shit; CoD is open to bad press, like it eventually ended up getting for being nationalistic.

All assumptions, though.

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty 2 and 3 were big successes. People just didn't know 4's multiplayer would be revolutionary like that.

The series still seems like a better fit than Halo, especially since one of the ad companies they used for Halo 3 also represented Activision, iirc.

i'm assuming it's both subtlety and that Halo is just a story about the US miltary doing all this amazing shit; CoD is open to bad press, like it eventually ended up getting for being nationalistic.

All assumptions, though.

Yeah I agree it is more subtle than advertising on a straight army game.

Oct 31, 2017
A few months back while watching TV, I saw a relatively new Marines ad and it just felt like a straight up homage/rip-off of Halo 3's "Believe" diorama ad. Was weird as hell.

While this topic may not necessarily be the place to mention this, I do personally think that the inherent competitive design of Halo PvP multiplayer is pretty much the closest embodiment of 'American Ideals/American Spirit' in the contemporary competitive multiplayer video game market. What do I mean? At the purest level, Halo multiplayer is about equitability among all players (all players in the game have exactly the same abilities and tools for usage) , while intuitively encouraging synergy between the individual and the team. In order to truly succeed at the highest levels of Halo multiplayer, players have to be both incredibly adept individual players while also being incredibly adept teammates/team players (mainly in the form of communication, both explicit and implicit, as well as synergizing movement and actions weighed accordingly against the individual's situation as well as that of their teammates at all times, in unison).

Halo 3 "Believe":

U.S. Marines Diorama Ad:

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's all sort of weird. I used to manage a couple of GameStop stores near the Florida panhandle area, which has a lot of military bases. Activision and EA frequently visited said bases. During certain midnight launches (Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, etc) we were asked to get military recruiters from local bases/offices to come out and promote the game (or themselves, I suppose). Never happened at my stores personally, but I always thought it was strange.

ctcatsby

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Man. The number of people here who believe the United States military *wants* reclusive individuals with emotional and social issues stemming from videogame consumption is frightening. Those are precisely the sort of people we want weeded out at MEPS and basic training. Nobody wants to share a FOB with some Ready Player One asshole whose main connection to reality is through first person shooters.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Man. The number of people here who believe the United States military *wants* reclusive individuals with emotional and social issues stemming from videogame consumption is frightening. Those are precisely the sort of people we want weeded out at MEPS and basic training. Nobody wants to share a FOB with some Ready Player One asshole whose main connection to reality is through first person shooters.

Ther is a place for everybody in the Military, unfortunately... Don't forget it's a microcosm of the Society, for the better and worse...

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

The point is to get the biggest pool of recruits to get the biggest possible number of qualified individuals.

That said, it's a bit extreme to think all gamers who bought into the military recruitment tool are that stereotype.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I agree with your conclusion in the latter half of your paragraph.

But I strongly disagree with your implication in the first half, that anyone who plays videogames is a recluse with emotional & social issues. That's far from true.

Majority of people who has played a video game are normal people.

Oct 25, 2017
Until this ever potentially becomes a thing in the future

COD bros would become the number 1 recruits

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It makes sense. The military theme has always been strong within the game and the books.

It also helps that future military tech seems to mirror where games like Halo went with their technology as far as TALOS suit, Ratnik 3, HULC suits etc etc..