• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
asking this question really makes you realize how pointless human existence is

why am I even still alive, y'know?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3. Communism, where the means of production are collectively controlled and you can labor as you please without being beholden to any "employer", because they no longer exist as a class, and where you no longer have to work for a wage to get what you need because money has become pointless.
If I can labor as I please then why labor at all? If your boss called you right now and said "hey, you don't have to come in today. No it's not gonna affect your paycheck" and you work at a fuckin' Walmart are YOU gonna come in?

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Economic output cannot be tied up to your capacity to engage in an artificial system that conjures up useless jobs and relies on monopoly money that all goes to the rich.
So who are the poor bastards that have to labor to produce the shelter and sustenance that everyone else gets labor-free?

To put it another way, I'll glady work my "useless" job to get "monopoly" money so that I don't have to build my own house, sew my own clothes, filter my own water, and grow my own crops.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
End GOVERNMENT, end MARKETS, end MONEY. END exploitation and profit that is 99.9 percent of ALL economic activity.
And replace it with...?

Come on, guys. I get what you're aiming for and I'm not trying to knock your ideas of a perfect society but none of you seem to have plans beyond this that are actually feasible in a world with free will, because free will means you're free to choose, so people can choose to not help you out.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I can labor as I please then why labor at all? If your boss called you right now and said "hey, you don't have to come in today. No it's not gonna affect your paycheck" and you work at a fuckin' Walmart are YOU gonna come in?

You're conflating labor with work. Communism has nothing to do with "work". There is no "going to work" under communism, because the productive forces have been developed to such a degree that you don't need to.

Think of how automation is going to destroy millions of jobs, but now imagine that the means of production were collectively controlled instead of privately controlled. Now advance that a few centuries and hope the planet hasn't burned to death. That's communism.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I'm not really bullish on the automated future.

End GOVERNMENT, end MARKETS, end MONEY. END exploitation and profit that is 99.9 percent of ALL economic activity.

You first

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
No reason really. I am against having children too of course since you are producing fodder for capitalism and life is pointless regardless anyways
>tfw your political discourse is two breaths from the s word but you don't say it outright to avoid copping a ban

nice try OP

I'll remember you all in therapy

OP
OP
banshee150

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
And replace it with...?

Come on, guys. I get what you're aiming for and I'm not trying to knock your ideas of a perfect society but none of you seem to have plans beyond this that are actually feasible in a world with free will, because free will means you're free to choose, so people can choose to not help you out.
Then we need a benevolent dictator who knows better. If people want to elect Trump, get people off healthcare, persecute others, etc then they should be stripped of all voting rights.

Voting should be the reserve of those who want the best for humanity and the planet.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You're conflating labor with work. Communism has nothing to do with "work". There is no "going to work" under communism, because the productive forces have been developed to such a degree that you don't need to.

Think of how automation is going to destroy millions of jobs, but now imagine that the means of production were collectively controlled instead of privately controlled. Now advance that a few centuries and hope the planet hasn't burned to death. That's communism.

Yes, automation will destroy millions of jobs, but not the jobs of people whose job it is to improve/maintain that automation. And that requires GOING THE FUCK TO WORK TO DO LABOR. The only difference is now you're working to maintain the life of that asshole down the street who does nothing instead of the asshole giving you stuff to do it.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mostly enjoy what I do tho

OP
OP
banshee150

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
So who are the poor bastards that have to labor to produce the shelter and sustenance that everyone else gets labor-free?

To put it another way, I'll glady work my "useless" job to get "monopoly" money so that I don't have to build my own house, sew my own clothes, filter my own water, and grow my own crops.
Machines can already make houses.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Then we need a benevolent dictator who knows better. If people want to elect Trump, get people off healthcare, persecute others, etc then they should be stripped of all voting rights.

Voting should be the reserve of those who want the best for humanity and the planet.

Now were getting somewhere.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Never, because there are some jobs that cannot be replaced by a robot.

While cleaning my own toilets the other day I thought about how many "dirty" jobs are out there that can't really be automated. How do you replace CNAs in hospitals and all the filth and misery that they deal with? Or housekeepers, gardeners, garbagemen, road workers, plumbers, morticians, embalmers, or the people that drown cats and dogs at the pound for a living?

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017

"benevolent dictator"

Good lord I hope you're being facetious with this post.

Oct 25, 2017

Oh, my bad. I didn't realize this was a troll thread.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
While cleaning my own toilets the other day I thought about how many "dirty" jobs are out there that can't really be automated. How do you replace CNAs in hospitals and all the filth and misery that they deal with? Or housekeepers, gardeners, garbagemen, road workers, plumbers, morticians, embalmers, or the people that drown cats and dogs at the pound for a living?

I mean a bidet is already pretty close to having a robot wipe my ass for me.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I always like the machines/AI argument.

Don't you think that if there is a AI smart enough to automate our incredibly complicated supply chains it will tell people to move their ass to do something productive instead of doing nothing all day?

OP
OP
banshee150

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
User Banned (3 days): derogatory language
Replace dictator with an advanced AI if you will. If peoples views clash with rationality and whats best for mankind and human race, they shouldnt have a right to vote. Look at where it brought us. You have fucking Trump as the president and people threatening a civil war if he is impeached. These people are retarded.
In fact all right wingers are retarded

Oct 25, 2017
Replace dictator with an advanced AI if you will. If peoples views clash with rationality and whats best for mankind and human race, they shouldnt have a right to vote. Look at where it brought us. Yoi have fucking Trump as the president and people threatening a civil war if he is impeached. These people are retarded. I
Life is complicated and thinking you can just handwave a solution in to being is seriously myopic.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I always like the machines/AI argument.

Don't you think that if there is a AI smart enough to automate our incredibly complicated supply chains it will tell people to move their ass to do something productive instead of doing nothing all day?

to what end though? If the important work is being done, why have all these useless people employed at all?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

And you'll enforce this by hiring people with...? Because if you don't you're just forming an angry mob and hoping they'll do the right thing. Angry mobs NEVER do the right thing.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Over/under on how fast the benevolent dictator AI would start grinding 'undesirable' people up for their nutritional value.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Replace dictator with an advanced AI if you will. If peoples views clash with rationality and whats best for mankind and human race, they shouldnt have a right to vote. Look at where it brought us. You have fucking Trump as the president and people threatening a civil war if he is impeached. These people are retarded.
this is a difficult argument for the layman to make because it hinges on the assumption that you know what's best for mankind. you're literally just a collection of words on the internet

edit hoooly shit did I accidentally catch a ninja edit jfc

edit2 is there a way to confirm that a post has been edited?? mooooods

edit3 nevermind everyone, this apparently WAS the edit

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
As tempting as aimless slacking and meandering creative pursuits sound, I'd be lying if I said I didn't kinda thrive on the traditional structure of employment.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure, but you don't seem to be doing so well either. Take a break.