• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icekilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought not having any reviews on launch day or close to release date meant that that bullshit was going down but SoT launched hours ago and no one seems to give a shit. Why is Rare getting a free pass for delayed reviews?

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
This has been answered countless times in the OT, but it's because reviewers weren't able to play until the servers went live at launch.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I thought not having any reviews on launch day or close to release date meant that that bullshit was going down but SoT launched hours ago and no one seems to give a shit. Why is Rare getting a free pass for delayed reviews?
It's an online multiplayer game and reviewers HAVE TO wait until multiplayer servers go up. This excuse doesn't exist in singleplayer games which is why those get more flack. We should see reviews going up over the next couple days.

/thread

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This has been answered a million times already. The reviewers just got the game with everyone else due to the games community being the main point of the game.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Live games often dont have reviews until reviewers themselves play on public servers. Theres nothing shady going on, its incredibly common for online multiplayer only titles to not have reviews until days or weeks after launch.

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
I guess they're getting a free pass because there was a lot a beta the past few weeks, maybe reviewers didn't have enough time with the full game it's kinda an MMO I don't know

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I remember the confidence people had when they announced the preview embargo and people thought it was the review embargo like that was at all realistic.

The game is a live game, and it's common for those to not have early copies as they want the reviewers to experience the actual game vs a slice they'd get with only other journalists playing / limiting the amount of encounters they would have which would hurt their perspective of the game.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Because that happens with these kind of games.
What if they reviewed the game before and said. Game works great, no server problems also.
And then launch day happens and the servers are down for 2 days? Would like to see what people say then also.

It doesn't even feel like the game came out

I just choked on my water.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
To be fair, the main game really isn't all that different than the full game except cosmetic items are far more pricier and there's hunting skelly quests on top of the ones in the beta. I'm actually surprised there haven't been any early reviews out this morning.

I'm sure we'll see them in the next few days.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
There's no review embargo dude, the servers opened yesterday, we will have reviews once the journalists play a meaningful time.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm so glad I'm getting this from gamefly because I still feel like this whole thing seems like nothing.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Eurogamer has a first impression. And nails how the game is gonna be recieved.

There will be those that hate Sea of Thieves, its limited questing, the unguided experience and the lack of progression-based gameplay rewards. Others, though, will relish the freedom. This is role-playing in its purest form, offering just enough tools to help you forge your own destiny across the ocean. Sea of Thieves' power to keep those stories interesting, of course, will depend on Rare's ability to meaningfully expand its world as the days and months pass by. If you're tired of games that tell someone else's tales though, and are ready to set sail for your own horizons, there's nothing else quite like Sea of Thieves right now.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-20-sea-of-thieves-is-sandbox-gaming-at-its-purest

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
probably a mix of wanting to get a feel for how the servers hold up and wanting to spend some time progressing through the game before providing a take.

it's impossible to deliver a quality review of an online-only game without experiencing it as everyone else does. some games give out early review codes, but having servers populated only with journalists wouldn't provide a realistic experience.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's number one on twitch, that's all the review you need.
MS and Rare struck gold with SoT, it's huge.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an always-online multiplayer game... I can't remember the last time one of those got a day one full review. At best, we usually get a "review in progress" for sites that got early access but still want to test live servers.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of these totally-not-a-MMO games. Not sure what there would be to review before it released.

j0hnniX

Oct 25, 2017
GA
It might have something to do with it being a Pirate game.. it's here to steal your money. Rrrrrrr.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017

I mean is it really though? Technically Fortnite has more viewers right now*, and SoT is still in the initial honeymoon period. That period being exaggerated on Twitch since streamers tend to flock to the latest release(s) to keep their channels "fresh".

I anticipate mixed reviews myself. The Eurogamer snippet provided by Theorry above summarizes it well. I personally feel the game will find a niche. Especially among RP streamers/viewers, and the younger demographic that love games like Minecraft.

*Edit: As I was writing this SoT overtook Fortnite hehe.

Lysistrata

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paradise Lost
Other than having some kind of simulated online setup for reviewers, there's not much else for them to do but wait until the full system is online.
A little patience, OP.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is completely standard with these kinds of games. It's the same reason we didn't have reviews of Destiny on launch day.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Judging by people's reactions the most recent Beta pretty much contained the full game, so they could've reviewed it from that.

I don't expect it to get high scores.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
inside Kraken's body.
f7b.gif

Yeah, if wishes were horses..

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I was kind of wondering this myself, so thanks for the answers in here.

Also, guys ... wapplew is role-playing a forum character, he's not looking for a serious response.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I can see reviews going something like this.

6/10 - Nice art style, fun Co-Op, not enough content at launch.

Like Destiny and all other online games, it will start off basic and grow over time (providing it retains enough players anyway)

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
You can't seriously expect good and thorough reviews of an online only game the day before it's released or gone live, or even the day of. Give people some time -- they didn't get to play it until everyone else did. Servers go live at a certain time.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018

It's the new hotness and it's barely ahead of Fortnite (209k vs 196k as of this moment). It might be the next Minecraft or it might be Destiny 2. We'll just have to wait and see.

Hardly a sure thing at this point and declaring MSFT has struck gold because of day 1 Twitch numbers is horribly shortsighted.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It's like Destiny, can't fully review it until end game is played. This has been the practice for these type of home console games since D1.

We will probably see "Reviews in Progress"

Status
Not open for further replies.