• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Xandalan

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
If people know I recently watched an episode with a character called Luka. Which broke my heart I was curious how members in our community viewed its potential representation.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I started to watch Steins Gate for the first time like 5 years ago, but a certain scene with Okabe and Luka made me totally drop it. I think now that I know what to expect, I'd try to watch it again, but it won't take away the grossness of the scene.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
I enjoyed S;G a lot despite the problematic elements of Ruka. I've been working my way through S;G0 as well lately but it's slow going due to playing it on my deck, lol.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I devoured the show when it came out, but I did have a harder time getting through it more recently when I re-watched. The show's treatment of Ruka was definitely a part of that.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I watched it as it was airing back in 2011. There's parts of it that are really good but it's also steeped in late 2000s internet otaku culture, meaning there's also a lot of shit that really sucks. The way it handles Luka is one of those things.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I experienced it when it was new, and was pretty ignorant about the issues with Ruka. That was a long time ago, and I would have a very different experience if I saw it for the first time in 2024.

At the time, I was very into it and the VN, too. But that was then.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I played Steins;Gate: Elite. Which is based on the anime or something? Yeah, the stuff with Luka did make me rather uncomfortable. There's some other non-Luka stuff that I found off-putting, too.

Last edited:

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
First anime I watched after years of shunning the medium, still one of my favorites. 0 sucks though.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are people like myself who found Luka a relatable and admirable character but that just makes it all the worse when you understand the show's attitude toward her. I consider the show and VN a "favorite" but that comes with extremely mixed feelings

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
It was one of the last animes I've ever watched all the way through, and it was so good that it ruined anime for me, to be honest.

I will say this comes with being super iffy on that one characters portrayal and how they handled them.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
It's very good (one of the first anime's I ever watched). Having played the VN first it's very faithful to the game (or vice versa as I"m not sure which came first). Don't need to harp on the Ruka stuff as it's been said already.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's very good (one of the first anime's I ever watched). Having played the VN first it's very faithful to the game (or vice versa as I"m not sure which came first). Don't need to harp on the Ruka stuff as it's been said already.
The original Steins;Gate VN came first, but after the anime there was Steins;Gate Elite which remade the VN using anime footage.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Problems aside, I still consider it one of my goats. I watched it in a weekend years ago. Literally couldn't step away for more than an hour before watching another episode.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I am a Visual Novel purist when it comes to this stuff so get away from me you Anime peasants

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Loved it when it first aired but haven't been able to go back to it or 0. Just too much stuff that I can't tolerate anymore.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
It's one of my favorite anime series. It takes some time to get going but once it does it gets amazing

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Loved it when it was fresh but yeah, as I've become far less ignorant about real trans people, I've not been able to really go back.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I'm a huge fan of the entire Science Adventure series and have played all the mainline games, so yeah...

If people know I recently watched an episode with a character called Luka. Which broke my heart I was curious how members in our community viewed its potential representation.

I read a lengthy article from a trans person about Luka a while back, and it was a fascinating read. Based on what that person said, Luka isn't trans. I'm sure the writers wanted him to be, but he's not. He does represent, but not trans people. The explanation is slightly spoilery:

Luka is gay, not trans. He dresses like a woman not because he wants to but because he's been pressured into it by an abusive family (his father and big sister). And he doesn't really want to be a woman either, though he claims to. Instead, what he truly wants is to be in a romantic relationship with Okabe, who he is madly in love with. But he sees romance between men as something society (and himself, possibly) won't ever accept, so if turning himself into a woman is what he needs to do to win Okabe's love, he'll take it.

Basically, Luka does not feel like a woman trapped in a man's body, nor does he suffer from gender dysphoria. He is simply gay and struggles with his own homophobia, reaching for the "simple solution" when it is presented to him.

I absolutely do believe that the creators wanted Luka to be a story about a trans person, but they seem to have had little to no understanding of the concept before writing it. In general, the Science Adventure series has a problem with transphobia, especially visible in Occultic;Nine and Anonymous;Code.

Disclaimer: I'm neither gay nor trans, so I'm not exactly coming at this from a position of authority. The whole thing is somewhat open to interpretation, but the more I've seen and read of Steins;Gate, the more confident I feel in the stuff I wrote above.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watched the show, but played the VN.

The game is full of intense pandering to otaku fetishes. Although you can debate over whether characters like Luka are portrayed sympathetically, it is hard for me to get past the feeling that they are in the game to be objectified first, and that the actual character is an afterthought.

That extends to the catgirl maid, the airhead childhood friend, and the tsundere heroine.