• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eeeeeeeh, I get that it's supposed to be funny but a lot of those views aren't "woke" at all and seem like a conservative view of what being woke is. Seeing that the comments are mostly conservative folks saying "man they nailed the hypocrisy of the left" doesn't inspire much confidence in the messaging of this video either.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That was great.

Y'all need to learn to laugh at the absurdity of shit.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Eeeeeeeh, I get that it's supposed to be funny but a lot of those views aren't "woke" at all and seem like a conservative view of what being woke is. Seeing that the comments are mostly conservative folks saying "man they nailed the hypocrisy of the left" doesn't inspire much confidence in the messaging of this video either.
I mean, I don't see it as "all woke people are like this", but just an exaggeration of the times some people do manage to come full circle while trying to help which is a site to see.

Like in my case, a former manager making a racial gaf during a meeting. Didn't notice or care personally, but then I get single out to receive the apology along with a "I don't see race speech". Like, that kind of thing is why I found this funny.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I would have said the "woke" guy doesn't exist until I moved to a famously progressive, mostly white west coast city.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
This video fucking sucks. But it did garner the praise of The Federalist which described it as a "hilarious viral video which calls out hypocrisy in 'woke' movement" which is always a good sign....

It's a fucking bullshit strawman that is used, by racists, to discredit the left.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
This video has been making rounds in right wing circles and they all love it along with centrists... it's almost like it's made specifically to dunk on the left

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This video has been making rounds in right wing circles and they all love it along with centrists... it's almost like it's made specifically to dunk on the left

Yeah, I tried to look at the original profile of the dude who made it and I think he's not conservative, considering he has a clip discouraging people from going outside and spreading the virus but I have neither the passion nor time to delve further.

www.youtube.com

Ryan Long

I'm a comedian New Video Every Monday + Standup & Sketches other days to or whatever

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks OP, now I'm prepared for when my father-in-law sends me this to own the libs.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017

Close enough. I will say that moving from the east coast to the west coast, I did pick up a lot more on concepts of privilege, inherent bias, and the idea of being anti-racist. Those ideas weren't prevalent when I lived back east. It just feels incredibly uptight compared to a place like Miami where you have multiple cultures mingling and integrating together. Like a bunch of white people making rules about how to talk to minorities instead of just acting like a normal person.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I know a "woke" dude just like the one on the video (from Portland, of course) lmao
He's less woke and more sleeping with eyes drawn on his eyelids. I don't know what kind of pasty white echo chamber you need to be in to develop those kind of views, but luckily they're not the norm
Thankfully this is mostly just a strawman type woke dude who doesn't typically exist

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
The video is very critical of specific "woke" ideological points (some I've heard, some I really have never heard), while giving racist ideology a complete pass

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I tried to look at the original profile of the dude who made it and I think he's not conservative, considering he has a clip discouraging people from going outside and spreading the virus but I have neither the passion nor time to delve further.

www.youtube.com

Ryan Long

I'm a comedian New Video Every Monday + Standup & Sketches other days to or whatever

Centrists love saying caring about racial oppression is just as bad as racism itself. Racists love saying the left is just as racist for caring about non white races. The only people who don't find something to agree with in this video are actual people on the left that somehow think that maybe thinking minorities shouldn't be oppressed and murdered isn't as bad as actually oppressing and murdering minorities. It's a bullshit argument that is either actively right wing or feeds into the right wing.

Oct 29, 2017
This is one of those videos where thinking it's funny and accurate actually says more about you than it says about the group being made fun of (in this case, the left).

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely a satire to be made for fair-weather allies scraping for convenient woke points only to flake when it really matters, but uh, this aint it.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

www.youtube.com

Ryan Long

Tried some other videos, not really funny and i think it's probably trying to be centrist humour or something.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was just going to be a topic on the idea in general, which is something I can honestly get behind based on shit I've run into the last couple years. Like, I could write a whole paragraph on how this is essentially why TERFs are a thing, for example.

Instead there's....this.

I got a leftist making fun of leftists vibe from it, but maybe I'm wrong.

Sorry, but nah, dude, ain't seeing it. Woke Guy says X, Racist Guy recontextualizes X to emphasize it as pro-white or anti-color, Woke Guy goes "eh sure I guess". Repeat through the rest of the vid. It doesn't come off as a satire of people dunking on lefties, it just looks like...people dunking on lefties.

Oct 27, 2017
No shame in misinterpreting things, OP.

(And I know it's against ToS to comment without fully parsing the full context, but) As a black dude, i refuse to watch a video of two white dudes mocking "woke" culture, as if it's not driven by PoC.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
Yes, at times 'overly-woke' people say idiotic things that aren't helpful but I've certainly never heard a leftist say "interracial relationships are bad" and "black people should only shop at black businesses" whereas I have definitely heard racists say those things. It equates them as equally bad in this absurd made-up scenario so that centrists can pat themselves on the back for being the only sane people in the room and the far right can share it for it the memes.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I actually do think this is pretty funny, but the "real" woke guy is very clearly a strawman so the racist guy can setup punchlines.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is one of those videos where thinking it's funny and accurate actually says more about you than it says about the group being made fun of (in this case, the left).
But that's just it, it's okay to think something is funny but not accurate at the same time. I laugh at absurd stuff all the time. People that take this shit seriously boggles my mind.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was genuinely funny. I know a lot of people like the "woke" example irl
and some on ERA

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get the issue some of you have with it, but then some of you are implying that making fun of leftists is a bad thing which is just confusing or the one person that said the video gives racism a pass.

Like, I feel weird about sharing it now, some of the takes are weird.

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, one of the jokes was specifically based on Biden's breakfast club interview, but what does that say about me exactly?
Most of the things said aren't even progressive/left/leftist at all, the "woke" guy is essentially a caricature of what centrists and the right think the left is like. Thinking it's accurate probably shows that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of those who stand by you (well, if you're left anyway). It's not funny because it's preaching to the right in this case, even if unintentional.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the things said aren't even progressive/left/leftist at all, the "woke" guy is essentially a caricature of what centrists and the right think the left is like. Thinking it's accurate probably shows that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of those who stand by you (well, if you're left anyway). It's not funny because it's preaching to the right in this case, even if unintentional.
Did I post this and go "man they really nailed leftists".

Was this not my second post.

I mean, I don't see it as "all woke people are like this", but just an exaggeration of the times some people do manage to come full circle while trying to help which is a site to see.

I'm willing to accept that my interpretation of this is wrong, but I made it clear why I showed it in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
This video is basically tailor-made for the friends most of you clearly have to uncritically laugh at and go "got em" so that's cool I guess?

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get the issue some of you have with it, but then some of you are implying that making fun of leftists is a bad thing which is just confusing or the one person that said the video gives racism a pass.

Like, I feel weird about sharing it now, some of the takes are weird.
Self reflection is tough for some people, even if it comes from a place of satire/comedy.

To me it seems pretty obvious to be the left dunking on the left

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In before the thread lock. Won't generate a good discussion I think.

Edit: Watched it again, I think the video makes some points, ironically people on the right will see it as owning the libs even though that means they're supporting the racist character, and people on the left will see it as trying to discredit leftist talking points, even though some of those talking points can have issues themselves.

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Self reflection is tough for some people, even if it comes from a place of satire/comedy.

To me it seems pretty obvious to be the left dunking on the left
186.png

Status
Not open for further replies.