Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
To my fellow soberera buddies, how do you cope with cravings when they strike? This worries me somewhat, as I live in a small town, with three pubs and an early morning off-license all within just a quarter of a mile of where I live. Caving in a moment of weakness would be all too easy, and advice on how to manage it when it strikes would be much appreciated.
I have always found it helpful to create new "rituals". For me things like first water and a variety of Herbal teas help. Instant miso soup had also been useful. The hard part is being realistic about the fact that they will never replace the fun of drinking.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
The hard part is being realistic about the fact that they will never replace the fun of drinking.

There's no right or wrong way to do sobriety, but this is not a thought shared by all in recovery. Using led to such hell for me and it took me a while to realize it but it ended being fun a long time after I started.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Been sober from alcohol for about 6 months and its fucking great. I did break my streak the other day by drinking a bit of four loko because of sex stuff but now i feel like i really dont need it since i was able to stop myself after a few sips and im going to continue to not drink at all.
Alcohol defeated, now i should probably try defeating weed but i dont know if i need to but i probably need to

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I've been discharged. My x-rays came back safe, although I have to avoid some of my other vices, like soda and spicy food, for a few weeks while my intestinal lining repairs.

More importantly, I feel the best I have in ages. When I've made home attempts at detox by myself, I've always felt terrible. But I suspect the IV drip has helped me feel physically renewed in a way that a slow home detox just cant. The staff were really nice and supportive too, which helped me stay in the ward despite boredom.

Now I have follow up sessions with counsellors as of monday, and best of all, I have a four day head start in having no alcohol in my system. Like, at all!

To my fellow soberera buddies, how do you cope with cravings when they strike? This worries me somewhat, as I live in a small town, with three pubs and an early morning off-license all within just a quarter of a mile of where I live. Caving in a moment of weakness would be all too easy, and advice on how to manage it when it strikes would be much appreciated.

I'll be honest, if it weren't for my wife I'd still be an active drunk. It was straining our marriage too much 3 years ago. Having the incentive to save our marriage and the accountability of a breathilizer at home made it impossible to secretly use. That said I wanted to stop, sobriety won't happen solely because of others. You must want it, but often you need help.

It sucked. Cravings were intense the first month and stayed until about month 4 I think. After that, maybe once in a few months I get the crazy idea that drinking would somehow solve whatever I was stressing about. Meditation helps a lot here.

Working AA steps (not religious groups) helped me to identify my primary character defects and intercept resentments as they're forming. I'm a much more level headed person than I was before I started drinking and just was OCD.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
What's up fam. So, my wife and I just completed over 30 days of quitting booze and it's the best we've felt in years. My wife was a moderate drinker and nowhere on the level I was at. I used to finish my workday and immediately hit a bar here in NYC (this was before covid obviously) where I created a really horrible / toxic habit of drinking 7 days a week. This was going on in some capacity spanning the last 20 years. Over the course of being booze free for the last 30 days, my mood severely changed overall for the better. I've been sleeping way better. My work has taken another big leap up recently and not drinking has only helped to support it even more. I spend way more time with my son and really being "present" with him and not daydreaming about when my next beer was. I've been coupling this with jogging and lifting weights and it's been a huge game changer in terms of my overall physical appearance too. My skin doesn't have that bloated / washed out look anymore and I'm getting back a more natural "glow" (as my wife likes to say).

Videogames was one of my biggest triggers since I used to love gaming and having a few beers so I had to take a break during this time. I still love reading up on games and watching some Twitch streams of Nice Wigg playing Apex but I haven't touched my Xbox in over 30 days as well. Truthfully, I don't really miss it since I'm so focused / obsessed with this wellness path we jumped on.

One thing I wanted to mention to those of you who get a daily urge to drink. There's a term called The Witching Hour with drinkers and this is the timeframe from 4pm-8pm when cravings will really be hard. You gotta realize that it's really just low blood sugar that's hitting you and as long as you eat something - ANYTHING - it will really help to get through those cravings. For me, I would eat almonds or a little bit of candy like a Gobstopper or Jolly Rancher since the sugar can help overcome the urge. After a few weeks of doing this, that witching hour won't seem as hard and you can start to ween yourself off candy / snacking.

Oct 27, 2017
Been pretty much boozeless and off nicotine for two months. Saving up money for a new TV and a PS5 was more tempting than going out drinking anyway, as I prefer to just stay home alone. So I've saved up about $2200 in the last two months. With what I'm planning to save from my paycheck coming on Thursday that should be about $3300. And if I save up about $1000 every month going forwards instead of drinking... 🤔🤔

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Been pretty much boozeless and off nicotine for two months. Saving up money for a new TV and a PS5 was more tempting than going out drinking anyway, as I prefer to just stay home alone. So I've saved up about $2200 in the last two months. With what I'm planning to save from my paycheck coming on Thursday that should be about $3300. And if I save up about $1000 every month going forwards instead of drinking... 🤔🤔
How much were you spending on drinking before? Seeing how much you gain in your bank account is one of the mind blowers of not drinking imo. Couldn't believe how much I spent on booze.

Oct 27, 2017
How much were you spending on drinking before? Seeing how much you gain in your bank account is one of the mind blowers of not drinking imo. Couldn't believe how much I spent on booze.

Would vary from month to month, but some quick exchange rate maths tells me it could be between $220 to $544 per month (often because I'd get so hammered I'd end up paying for everyone's beers/drinks, haha). And when I quit drinking I didn't need cigarettes anymore either, and just quit snus too. So not drinking, not using any tobacco products and trying to hit the gym twice a week instead has been rather beneficial for my wallet, my health and my performance at work.

capybara-dive

Nov 1, 2017
I had been sober for just over a month but screwed up last night.. gave in to the little voice in my head saying I should go get a 12 pack and just have one or two. Yeah, right, we all know how that goes.

I kind of think I got triggered into wanting to drink because it had been a month so my internal monologue started to turn into "you didn't REALLY have a drinking problem"

feeling pretty stupid / ashamed of myself today, had to call in sick for my morning at work. but grateful this thread is here, reading people's success stories is so inspiring. I know I can do it

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I had been sober for just over a month but screwed up last night.. gave in to the little voice in my head saying I should go get a 12 pack and just have one or two. Yeah, right, we all know how that goes.

I kind of think I got triggered into wanting to drink because it had been a month so my internal monologue started to turn into "you didn't REALLY have a drinking problem"

feeling pretty stupid / ashamed of myself today, had to call in sick for my morning at work. but grateful this thread is here, reading people's success stories is so inspiring. I know I can do it
Yep. Remember this feeling. Remember how it feels to hurt your body with this poison, and how it feels to betray yourself psychologically, emotionally. You don't deserve that. You don't deserve to let alcohol keep hurting you. You can get over this!

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I've been discharged. My x-rays came back safe, although I have to avoid some of my other vices, like soda and spicy food, for a few weeks while my intestinal lining repairs.

More importantly, I feel the best I have in ages. When I've made home attempts at detox by myself, I've always felt terrible. But I suspect the IV drip has helped me feel physically renewed in a way that a slow home detox just cant. The staff were really nice and supportive too, which helped me stay in the ward despite boredom.

Now I have follow up sessions with counsellors as of monday, and best of all, I have a four day head start in having no alcohol in my system. Like, at all!

You have to be mindful of crossover addictions, but I found sugar helps a lot.

Alcohol is metabolized to sugar once your liver is done with it, and at least part of the physical craving you're experiencing will be satisfied by that. Having a treat, or something that you just enjoy eating when you get the cravings can help with the psychological part as well, and while it's not exactly healthy, you're still coming out way ahead just on calorie consumption than if you were drinkling like you were before.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
I just got a really lucky break and got a really good job and want to use this as an opportune time to try to get sober again. I've been on a bad bender for 2 months. I've had really good streaks of sobriety that have lasted for months and at one point years, but it gets harder every time. I think my mental health is a mess and I drink and do drugs to sort of self medicate, and maybe now that I will have health insurance again I should make seeing a psychiatrist a priority and try to get some non addictive medication. I can't sleep at night when I'm sober and I get drunk just to try to sleep and then I end up doing other things. But whenever I'm really drunk I always say I'm going to try to do something to change things and then I wake up and I don't feel like doing it anymore.

But in the time between when I typed that up and when I'm now posting it, I devised a new scenario that will force me to do something. My best friend who is a really good software engineer, at my request has programmed a sort of doomsday device where if I don't go see a psychiatrist and get a non addictive anxiety medication and send him proof that I did that, the program is going to upload a staged reputation destroying photo I just took to all social media outlets. If I do it, he disarms the program and it doesn't upload. I got the idea from a Nathan for You episode I just watched where they used the same ridiculous tactic to get people to lose weight. But I now have 2 weeks to actually take care of myself or I'm fucked, and don't have any other option. I know it's really stupid but I think it's actually going to work

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I just wanted to bump this thread as we come up to the holidays which I know can be tricky for a lot of people. I'm always available for PMs if anyone needs support.

I want to also throw it out there that this is a unique time to try out AA, NA, Al-Anon, Smart, or any type of meeting if you've ever been interested (just check that it is an "Open", not "Closed" meeting) while so many are on Zoom. So long as you don't disturb the meeting most are fine if you want to just log on a Zoom meeting with your video and audio off. It's cool to experience if only as a human experience or see what group therapy is like (so long as your intentions are in a good place of course).

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Bumping again for the same reasons Threadkular mentions. It's the holidays, it's getting cold outside, we're all stressed and cooped up, and alcohol is all around. Take care of yourselves, friends.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Came into this thread since I decided to quit drinking every single day. No drinking on weekdays, more specifically. I was telling myself I'd allow some seltzers on the weekend. It's my first week, day 4. It's easy enough when my partner is home all day and we're both working from home but it's really tough not to want to have a few on days when she goes into her workplace in the afternoon til late at night.

[...]
if I don't go see a psychiatrist and get a non addictive anxiety medication and send him proof that I did that, the program is going to upload a staged reputation destroying photo I just took to all social media outlets. If I do it, he disarms the program and it doesn't upload. I got the idea from a Nathan for You episode I just watched where they used the same ridiculous tactic to get people to lose weight. But I now have 2 weeks to actually take care of myself or I'm fucked, and don't have any other option. I know it's really stupid but I think it's actually going to work
Wow that is some brave stuff. Great motivator though haha. You can do it!

I want to also throw it out there that this is a unique time to try out AA, NA, Al-Anon, Smart, or any type of meeting if you've ever been interested (just check that it is an "Open", not "Closed" meeting) while so many are on Zoom. So long as you don't disturb the meeting most are fine if you want to just log on a Zoom meeting with your video and audio off. It's cool to experience if only as a human experience or see what group therapy is like (so long as your intentions are in a good place of course).
Do you know of any resources to find these Zoom meetings? Or just google my local AA? I'm curious, but don't know where to start, so I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Hope everyone is doing OK! Thinking of everyone out there and trying to go easy on myself as well.

My anxiety is very high (no surprise) but haven't used any of the substances from which I abstain thank goodness. I've been going a little harder on the caffeine and sugar... but progress not perfection. I've also had a lot of desire to take a peak on Facebook which I've been taking a break from (and getting lots of mental health benefits in doing so) but that would likely be nearly as bad for me as booze and drugs at this time.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I had to return to hospital over Christmas after a slew of bad news (My neighbor passing away, my gran's dementia progressing to the point she isnt there anymore and being admitted into a nursing home and my dad being paralyzed by a seventh stroke and catching covid and not being able to visit any of my family at all on Christmas due to the last second Tier 4 vivid restrictions that were introduced at the last second in the UK.) led to me hitting the bottle hard to numb it.

The local alcohol abuse services that have previously fobbed me off for months with excuses about "it takes time" to get funding for rehab and kept telling me to manage by myself finally listened about my inability to cope with stress points in my life, and I start the actual funding application with them next week. (It's four appointments over four weeks, which is a lot of hassle. But I get it, rehab isnt cheap, so they need to make sure I'm committed enough to get it on the NHS.)

I was somewhat worried that it was all going to be cancelled because if the new national lockdown, but I got a phone call confirming its going ahead. So I should be getting professional help in a clean environment as early as April.

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I had a booze slipup last week. I didn't even really enjoy the experience and I felt like crap the next day. I'm so annoyed with myself. At least it was a good reminder why I hate myself when I'm drinking.

Oct 27, 2017
This past (almost) year has also felt frozen in time. No AA or leaving the house, but also no progress towards any of these goals.

Life is good though. Four and a half years without alcohol. Hope everyone is holding up well.

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
I hope everyone here is doing good and if not reach out for some help.

I'm on my 49th day of sobriety and in the middle of working the 4th step. I went to a sober living/first step house on 11/24 because I relapsed pretty badly, especially after the pandemic started. Went back to Xanax, got really bad with Kratom (which is a horrible substance) and then even got back into drinking again. I also have quit weed for the first time which was one of my most addictive habits and the drug I have been craving the most even in my sobriety right now. I know if I go down that route again it will lead to trouble.

If there is any advice I can give it is to find a local Alcoholics Anonymous group/meeting, find a sponsor and work the steps. Buy yourself a Big Book and read pages 1-103. I got sober about 5 years ago going to rehab and I was pretty gungho about meetings periodically but I never got a sponsor or worked the steps. It is absolutely great if you are staying sober and are in this thread and realize that your have a problem. But until you start working the steps with a sponsor the odds are you will relapse again. I know the Zoom meetings aren't as ideal as in person but stick with them as best as you can. I found one meeting that I go to where everyone is required to wear a mask and there is lots of room so everyone keeps more than 6 ft. distance.

I wish you all the best and I will try to post more in here and keep up with y'all.

Just hit Day 17 of being clean myself. I haven't been drinking ginger beer, but I have been pounding large bottles of kombucha. It's sugar free, and relatively good for you, but it's a pretty expensive habit to maintain. Although, having said that, it's still cheaper than my alcohol addiction!

I'm still struggling to find ways to occupy myself during the day. I guess I'm still in that stage where I'm in a state of limbo, where I haven't figured out how to fill the time or energy I spent on drinking. I'm occupying my mind with slowly piecing my flat together, and I'm making up for lost time by going to college and getting the grades that I don't have. (So long as Covid doesn't fuck me over anyway. That would be just my luck.) But there's still just so much downtime to try and fill.

I picked up a Warhammer 40k starter kit a while back, but never actually started it, so I may try my hand at it at some point this week, see if I take to it at all.

Kombucha has alcohol in it even if it is such a low amount. If you're drinking the hard 3% Kombucha you are drinking alcohol through and through. Drink Probiotic drinks and clean your stomach and system out.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Kombucha has alcohol in it even if it is such a low amount. If you're drinking the hard 3% Kombucha you are drinking alcohol through and through. Drink Probiotic drinks and clean your stomach and system out.

From what I understand, the stuff I was drinking had the same level of alcohol in it as a fresh banana. Existent levels, but badically negligible.

Here in the UK, you can't sell anything over 0.5% as a soft drink, and even when under, if it had strong alcohol content in the brewing process then it still has to be labelled as an alcohol free hard drink. The kombucha I was drinking was sold next to Pepsi in the soft drink aisle.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
From what I understand, the stuff I was drinking had the same level of alcohol in it as a fresh banana. Existent levels, but badically negligible.

Here in the UK, you can't sell anything over 0.5% as a soft drink, and even when under, if it had strong alcohol content in the brewing process then it still has to be labelled as an alcohol free hard drink. The kombucha I was drinking was sold next to Pepsi in the soft drink aisle.

So Kombucha can have alcohol in it. I usually see 0.5% alcohol which is the same as a lot of non-alcoholic beer. I've admittedly never seen 3% myself (which is on the level of some light beers).

In terms of whether to stay away from 0.5% Kombucha or near-beer, it's a personal thing. A strict AAer might give you one answer (non-alcoholic beer I've pretty much always heard not recommended), but that said my sponsor who has 4 years drinks Kombucha all the time. I just plain don't like the stuff so it's not an issue for me, and as for non-alcoholic beer I can see how that would be triggering (and is a tease) so I'm not going to mess with that (but if you can than whatever).

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, the amount of alcohol in Kombucha is miniscule in comparison to other alcoholic drinks, or hard kombucha, but still when your body and mind are healing it is better to stay off the kombucha. I love kombucha so this was hard for me to do. At the end of the day I am trying to heal my mind and body as quick as possible and getting any trace of alcohol out of my system.

When I go to Trader Joes or other grocery stores they usually have probiotic drinks right next to them by the same manufacturers usually. They're just as delicious and they have the added bonus of cleaning your stomach.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Still going strong! I have had a slip or two in the last few months, but no urges now.

Been going to the gym every other day, ringfit every day, projects at the house. I'm able to get so much done and feel great when I'm not destroying my body every night :3

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right thread anymore. I've decided to go back on the naltrexone again after falling into a spiral of drinking until I pass out every night and then feeling like shit every day (until I drink again).

Alcohol is also interfering with my weight loss goals. It's hard to lose weight when you can only eat 700 calories a day because the rest is dedicated to liquor.

Guess I just wanted to know if naltrexone has worked for anyone else and maybe find a supportive group. Sorry if this thread isn't where to be.

Divorced Dad

Banned
Feb 16, 2021
I've been sober now for almost 6 months. I had to do a month of inpatient rehab for anxiety, depression, and alcoholism but I'm doing much better now. I take naltrexone daily and am feeling much better. I still smoke pot and take edibles but I haven't had a drink since Sept 1st. I feel great and my life is better than ever despite my divorce.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure where else to post this. I've been struggling with alcohol for a few years now and I think it's finally my breaking point. Let me explain what's going on......

First, I've had a lot in 2020 and even this year as well. Like heavy drinking 5 days a week. Definitely more than I should.

But I feel like this has been culminating for a while. 2019 wasn't great for me either, but it just got worse, and now I'm at the point where I'm wondering exactly HOW long I've been drinking too heavily for. 2 years? 5 years? 10 years?

I'm 33/male, btw.

Anyway, I just had some blood work done at my doctor's and my liver enzymes were sky high. I'm horrified I have a scarred liver. I'm sure I at least have a fatty liver.

I had a "come-to-Jesus" moment mid February and drastically cut back on my drinking, but I'm thinking this is the moment that pushes me over the edge to stop completely.

I'm horrified right now. I have an ultrasound on March 12th where I they're going to scan my liver and check for any damage. Needless to say, the wait until then is going to be excruciating.

How worried should I be here? For context, in September 2019 at my last physical, my enzymes and liver functions were normal.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure where else to post this. I've been struggling with alcohol for a few years now and I think it's finally my breaking point. Let me explain what's going on......

First, I've had a lot in 2020 and even this year as well. Like heavy drinking 5 days a week. Definitely more than I should.

But I feel like this has been culminating for a while. 2019 wasn't great for me either, but it just got worse, and now I'm at the point where I'm wondering exactly HOW long I've been drinking too heavily for. 2 years? 5 years? 10 years?

I'm 33/male, btw.

Anyway, I just had some blood work done at my doctor's and my liver enzymes were sky high. I'm horrified I have a scarred liver. I'm sure I at least have a fatty liver.

I had a "come-to-Jesus" moment mid February and drastically cut back on my drinking, but I'm thinking this is the moment that pushes me over the edge to stop completely.

I'm horrified right now. I have an ultrasound on March 12th where I they're going to scan my liver and check for any damage. Needless to say, the wait until then is going to be excruciating.

How worried should I be here? For context, in September 2019 at my last physical, my enzymes and liver functions were normal.
Hey Zyrokai! Glad you're with us, and glad you were able to identify that you have a problem with drinking. We all come about to it in different ways, but the most important thing is understanding it's a problem, and valuing something above the drinking.

In general... I can't advise you to "worry" about anything. You can't change the past, but you can change what you do from here on. That you're simply posting here is a good sign that you're willing to make that change.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Hey Zyrokai! Glad you're with us, and glad you were able to identify that you have a problem with drinking. We all come about to it in different ways, but the most important thing is understanding it's a problem, and valuing something above the drinking.

In general... I can't advise you to "worry" about anything. You can't change the past, but you can change what you do from here on. That you're simply posting here is a good sign that you're willing to make that change.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I guess that I'm just worried what this means from the standpoint of my liver. Is this, like, permanent damage? I think the wait more than anything is what's so nerve-wracking. It's the unknown, you know! I don't even know if it's damaged! Lol

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I guess that I'm just worried what this means from the standpoint of my liver. Is this, like, permanent damage? I think the wait more than anything is what's so nerve-wracking. It's the unknown, you know! I don't even know if it's damaged! Lol

I had some pretty bad numbers before I stopped, and in about six months they healed back to normal. I had been drinking a bit longer than you (and was about the same age, 32 when I got sober, about to turn 36 now). So I think you should be OK. :)

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I had some pretty bad numbers before I stopped, and in about six months they healed back to normal. I had been drinking a bit longer than you (and was about the same age, 32 when I got sober, about to turn 36 now). So I think you should be OK. :)

Thanks, this is encouraging.

My problem is that I don't really know how long I've been drinking "heavily". It snuck up on me, you know? I realized something needed to change sometime in 2020, but I just kept drinking anyway never thinking it could come to this. I'd say for sure that I was drinking far too much in 2018, 2019, and 2020, but before that, I'm not sure. I was certainly drinking a lot, but I don't know if it was danger levels. I've been drinking since I was 18, basically, but probably drinking a little too much starting in 2013. But from 2013-2017, I don't know if it was "danger levels" or not.

May I ask how long you were drinking heavily before you got the bad numbers? This will be the last time I ask something like this on here, I promise. I'm just nervous and I hate this wait until the 12th for the ultrasound.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, this is encouraging.

My problem is that I don't really know how long I've been drinking "heavily". It snuck up on me, you know? I realized something needed to change sometime in 2020, but I just kept drinking anyway never thinking it could come to this. I'd say for sure that I was drinking far too much in 2018, 2019, and 2020, but before that, I'm not sure. I was certainly drinking a lot, but I don't know if it was danger levels. I've been drinking since I was 18, basically, but probably drinking a little too much starting in 2013. But from 2013-2017, I don't know if it was "danger levels" or not.

May I ask how long you were drinking heavily before you got the bad numbers? This will be the last time I ask something like this on here, I promise. I'm just nervous and I hate this wait until the 12th for the ultrasound.

I mean, I was drinking about half of a fifth of a day for 2-3 years, then averaging a little under a fifth a day for a year during the worst of it? And I am a cancer survivor earlier in my life, so my body isn't particularly great BEFORE all this. :D

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Sober over still everyone! I did slip once and went to play pool with my friend at a bar and I ended up having wayyyy too much (which actually wasn't that much at all compared to previous). Felt like the ass the next 2 days which put a damper on my new addiction....running and hitting the gym.

I've ran about 60 miles so far in the last month, 2 months now of solid gym time as well, and 40 days of ringfit.

I feel great and never want to experience that again. Felt terrible having to put off running and exercise because I drank 2 days before.

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
Hello sober era, I'm struggling to come to terms with the fact I have a problem with cannabis. I'm in the UK so it's illegal here, I'd had some occasionally at parties when I was younger and didn't really enjoy it, but just over three years ago I got back from living in Canada where obviously it's legal and socially acceptable in public, and as I was lonely there struggling to make friends (and the friends I did make were hipsters who used recreationally) I had a lot of time on my hands. That said, I didn't use a huge amount over there but it's spiralled since I came back, at points I've been buying a Z a month which from the volume you can appreciate hasn't been used responsibly - getting high at work has been fairly common (both from home during lockdown as well as in the office before), and it's been affecting my performance as well as personal relationships (though I have other issues factoring into these as well). That's to say nothing of how much money I must have spent on it, easily a few thousand over three years

It's been getting worse over lockdown and especially since Christmas. I bought a kitchen safe to keep it in during the week and stop me using when I'm working but as soon as the timer ran down on it I'd use more than before and pretty much be high all weekend from 5pm on Friday when the safe opened, then it'd be the first thing I did in the mornings to the last thing on Sunday when/if I had the willpower to lock it up again. Even if I locked it up again I'd scrape down my dry herb vapes during the week (while I'm working) and vape the reclaim, which gives you a nasty headache.

Since it's illegal here picking up is always anxiety inducing, and my guy's drop off points have been getting further and further out which I'm guessing has to be due to police. Last time I picked up was especially stressful (new drop off even further out than usual, miscommunication about the spot meant I was there for far longer than I wanted to be), and the weed was also lower quality than it had been before, so I took that as my cue that enough is enough, and after "one last week" I locked the 20gs I had left along with my dry herb vapes up in the kitchen safe, maxed out the timer (10 days) and removed the batteries (the timer resets with the batteries out, so if I put them back in I've still got 10 days to pull myself together and take them out again). I know I should really get rid of it altogether but knowing it's there if things get too much is helpful.

I see a psychotherapist who knows I use - one point is that since my agreement with him said he won't see me if I'm stoned, I make sure i stop no less than four hours before a session, which isn't great but it's the longest I go without some days. That said he doesn't know how much I use because I'm too ashamed to tell him. Same goes for my girlfriend - she doesn't use but knows I do, though not how much... when I visit her I take lot of bathroom breaks. I live at home with my mum and if she knows anything she doesn't let on, but she knows I'm depressed and generally having a hard time. I have an appointment with my therapist tonight and never know where to start with him - I have a lot of worries and cannabis is only one of them, and it both helps and makes them worse.

So I'm nine days sober now, my last puff was Feb 27. I keep thinking I can have a dry March and let my kitchen safe open up at Easter bank holiday for a day, but deep down I know that's not a good idea. I've been way more productive over the last week than I have been since last summer when I managed to quit for two weeks on pure willpower, making headway with projects I've been putting off. Still have a lot of relationships I've neglected that I need to start rebuilding, but part of that is working out which ones are worth the energy. I've been running and playing guitar, trying not to game too much because it doesn't feel especially productive.

Ok it looks like I had a lot to get off my chest, like I said I don't have anyone I feel I can talk to so this is the first time I've even typed an admission that I have a problem.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Flabber good going friend. The further in time you get from it the less you'll feel that impulse to have a cheat day or the like.

I think the first notion of understanding and acceptance is appreciating that you can't have a moderate relationship with the substance. Allow that to be a point of pride in steadying your hand, not because of any weakness, but in the strength of being honest with yourself. I would try to get rid of the remainder in the safe honestly, to remove the most accessible means of it. Not picking up again is easier than trying to resist something with arm's reach when low. Perhaps put a note of self compassion in the safe so you can open it and find it when you are low. Might seem a little silly but it could help replace the existing connection with something more beneficial.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I would try to get rid of the remainder in the safe honestly, to remove the most accessible means of it. Not picking up again is easier than trying to resist something with arm's reach when low. Perhaps put a note of self compassion in the safe so you can open it and find it when you are low. Might seem a little silly but it could help replace the existing connection with something more beneficial.
Can't agree with this more. When I stopped drinking, I got rid of all the alcohol in my apartment. Literally poured bottles down the sink. And I pasted up notes to myself around the place, reminding myself of my commitment and what was at stake. In my case, my relationship, and my health. Sobriety isn't the end of something so much as the first step you take towards becoming a better, more unclouded version of yourself. Better to shut the door on that old version and point yourself towards the future.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Sobriety isn't the end of something so much as the first step you take towards becoming a better, more unclouded version of yourself. Better to shut the door on that old version and point yourself towards the future.

This is super good advice. When I did this I was finally able to be happy.

That said, I had a loooooooong grieving period and it took me time. I think I'm done grieving the substances but other stuff keeps coming up (which is good).

Sound of Metal touches on this how at first it's really tough to accept what you are going through (for us addicts/alcoholics) and it can take a while (or you never) let go of your old life, but the moments when you actually let it go and accept is the best thing for your well-being and long term happiness. It's not easy - I have my days when I fight back, but more so these days I accept I'm an addict.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
10 Days Sober!!!

This is actually way easier than I thought it would be so now I'm thinking I was just destructively drinking out of habit more than anything. Ugh.

I mean, I was drinking about half of a fifth of a day for 2-3 years, then averaging a little under a fifth a day for a year during the worst of it? And I am a cancer survivor earlier in my life, so my body isn't particularly great BEFORE all this. :D

Forgot to say thank you for responding! I'm going tomorrow for my ultrasound so hopefully I will be able I'll be able to give a happy report sometime next week :)

Divorced Dad

Banned
Feb 16, 2021
I've been sober now for 6 months after 25+ years of abusing alcohol. I did a 30 day inpatient rehab and then a 30 day outpaitent. I still smoke pot but that was never an issue.

Since quitting drinking, I've lost 15lbs of fat, gained tons of muscle and feel 1000% better. I sleep better, I eat better, I get to the gym 6 days a week, my work is going better, and my anxiety and depression are much better

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I've been sober now for 6 months after 25+ years of abusing alcohol. I did a 30 day inpatient rehab and then a 30 day outpaitent. I still smoke pot but that was never an issue.

Since quitting drinking, I've lost 15lbs of fat, gained tons of muscle and feel 1000% better. I sleep better, I eat better, I get to the gym 6 days a week, my work is going better, and my anxiety and depression are much better

That's awesome! I'm glad to hear you're getting tangible benefits from it that you're able to measure and acknowledge.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I've gone from drinking several times per week, always drinking on weekends, always drinking when at restaurants, etc. to basically having 1 to 2 alcoholic beverages maybe every few months or so. I think in 2020 I had all of 5 drinks and it was only during group video chats with friends, and even then I didn't really feel into it.

So I guess I'm 2+ years "extremely moderate" now, though I don't know how everyone here wants to define sober.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I've never been a huge drinker anyhow, but I've just found out that I'm going into forced sobriety because of unrelated liver issues (that's an ongoing discovery process because they don't even know what's up with my liver yet).

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
After my New Year's Eve relapse, I was really, really bummed out. But I just realized today I haven't drank a single drop of alcohol since! So all in all that means only one night where I drank since the beginning of November!

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Glad folks are hanging in there, even with some struggles. The amount of people showing on Zoom meetings is unreal - but I am hoping a lot of folks are gonna be able to feel a lot better about themselves / life in general. Keep hanging in there.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Just here to root you all on! I've never had any issues with alcohol, the wife and I never drink anymore, we used to at get togethers but we don't find it worth the calories anymore. Not only can it cause relationship issues, it interferes with my hobby, bodybuilding. Say no, everyone!

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
I had sobriety until two years ago where one night to relieve the stress of work turned into a two year bender. I was even more emboldened during the pandemic because I didn't have to drive in the morning. I knew just how much I needed to not have a hangover the next day but still get nice and fucked up every night of the week. Moving to a new city and new job seems to have made it worse. I called a buddy of mine from college just now. He started a small men's bible study with some other guys he knew from college. I wanted to let him know in advance before I opened up to the group later in the week. I feel a burden lifted but feel like another of sobriety has taken its place.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I had sobriety until two years ago where one night to relieve the stress of work turned into a two year bender. I was even more emboldened during the pandemic because I didn't have to drive in the morning. I knew just how much I needed to not have a hangover the next day but still get nice and fucked up every night of the week. Moving to a new city and new job seems to have made it worse. I called a buddy of mine from college just now. He started a small men's bible study with some other guys he knew from college. I wanted to let him know in advance before I opened up to the group later in the week. I feel a burden lifted but feel like another of sobriety has taken its place.

Welcome back Lexad! So glad you shared with us. Great things are coming for you.

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
16 months tomorrow alcohol free. Furthest I've ever gone in my adult life without a drink. At the same time it kinda feels like cheating since the health problems I'm dealing with now pretty much forced my hand.