• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This could easily be the opening sequence for Kenobi ASWS
But then the movie-only audience miss out on all the build-up that really makes that encounter feel special. They have no real rivalry in The Phantom Menace. It all happens in The Clone Wars.

I'm probably in the minority but I don't think he should feature in Obi-Wan's film.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maul will not work in an Obi-Wan movie. Lucasfilm ought to take the hard stance of "canon means canon" - if you want to see how their story plays out, watch Rebels.

I'm glad they are respecting that so far.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Maul will not work in an Obi-Wan movie. Lucasfilm ought to take the hard stance of "canon means canon" - if you want to see how their story plays out, watch Rebels.

I'm glad they are respecting that so far.
Dc7kF8jVMAIDGTE.jpg

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its weird looking at the BO thread and this one after lol.

Everyone is trashing Solo in the BO thread while this thread is a lot more positive than I expected after the TLJ thread.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
But then the movie-only audience miss out on all the build-up that really makes that encounter feel special. They have no real rivalry in The Phantom Menace. It all happens in The Clone Wars.

I'm probably in the minority but I don't think he should feature in Obi-Wan's film.

But it would be a cool way to show old man Obi in action, Maul would serve the same purpose Baron Strucker did in Age of Ultron

His death could spark a bigger issue for Obi-Wan, like his gang going out of control without leadership

For hardcore fans, it would be an iconic scene brought to life, for casuals it would stand on Rule of Cool alone, their dialogue is amazing even without the real context

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I don't know the general consensus yet but I actually really loved it. Genuinely pleasantly surprised by it. The Hologram moment had me jaw agape. There was a moment were Han became very arrogant in the middle of the film we're i saw glimmers of Harrison shine through too.

Overall, after all the bad wrap this movie had, it was way better than I thought it was going to be. Sure, it has some wonkey acting at times. But the references to old games, shows and books really made this feel like a connected Star Wars movie. The story was really nice too, with some interesting twists and turns.

I really enjoyed it. If they do a direct follow up I wouldn't mind seeing Ron Howard come back because I felt he handled his well.

A beefier and older Ray Park makes him look even more badass too
So it was Ray Park playing him but was it Sam returning to voice him from CW/Rebels? It sounded like Sam's Maul.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know the general consensus yet but I actually really loved it. Genuinely pleasantly surprised by it. The Maul moment had me jaw agape. There was a moment were Han became very arrogant in the middle of the film we're i saw glimmers of Harrison shine through too.

Overall, after all the bad wrap this movie had, it was way better than I thought it was going to be. Sure, it has some wonkey acting at times. But the references to old games, shows and books really made this feel like a connected Star Wars movie. The story was really nice too, with some interesting twists and turns.

I really enjoyed it. If they do a direct follow up I wouldn't mind seeing Ron Howard come back because I felt he handled his well.

I can't wait.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
They'd have to change things pretty significantly. If not for Ezra, Maul doesn't find Obi-Wan. His death is the end of a journey that was set up in The Clone Wars.

The movie can simply begin right as they're about to duel. By that point, Ezra was already riding away. Of course, they could always go the extra mile and show him anyways. The general audience would probably just assume that he and Chopper are some random travelers that got mixed up in all this.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The movie can simply begin right as they're about to duel. By that point, Ezra was already riding away. Of course, they could always go the extra mile and show him anyways. The general audience would probably just assume that he and Chopper are some random travelers that got mixed up in all this.
But as I said in my post at the top of the page, the movie-only audience have no context about their relationship or the encounters they've had since The Phantom Menace. It would be a duel for the sake of a duel. I just don't see the point.

Here's Maul again...oh wait, he's dead. Again.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Was it just me or were there a TON of old EU references in that film?

- Teras Kasi (lol)
- Aurra Sing
- Lando talked about visiting Oseon, and a temple on Sharu
Aurra Sing is both in the Prequels and Clone Wars.

I have to finally watch Rebels. Ordered the first season today :)

I really hope both the TV shows and (newer) comics/novells stay canon because I am catching up on that stuff and actually enjoying it a lot. Never was into comics, but the Star Wars stuff is really cool so far. I am not sure if I will ever read the books, but who knows.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I understand.

I think there is a lot in there to please fans of the original triology in that it captures a lot of what was fascinating and fun about Star Wars in the first place. What it gets right in that regard imho: Adventure and kind of a profoundly archaic storyline, design blends in with the OT incredibly well (from aliens to spaceships and sets it feels the most Star Wars since the original Star Wars imho), just badass characters including those unnamed Aliens that are just there without any need for explanation. BEST bar scenes ever.

Also I for one really enjoyed what they did with the existing characters. Han, Chewie and Lando worked really well for me. It adds and doesn't take away from them. Also acted very well imho. Shoot me but Young Han is better than Old Han at least.

There are also quite a few literal references which I thought were all executed well.
Stuff like Han shoots first, "I know", "I have a really good feeling about this" to name a few.
i don't feel any of that was cheap or awkward, which it could have easily been.

I have to paddle back on the surprises. There is at least one though and I absolutely loved it.
Especially speaking as someone who hasn't watched any of the cartoon stuff like I assume most of the viewers. To me the coolest villain ever was dead, plain and simple
Seems like not everyone is similarly enthusiastic about it.

All in all it was a really enjoyable film.

This was more or less my takeaway.

I sure was. I thought she was really great, compared to her other roles in the last few years
EDIT: also Teräs Käsi being canon is hilarious. The scene got a couple of good laughts here in Finland when they said it out loud, it was so out of place hearing it but cool at the same time

When I mentioned Teräs Käsi got a shoutout in the film in the review, I had folks who didn't believe me. ;)

How come we don't have a review thread with aggregated score on the thread title?

There is a review thread, but it's just linked dropped in the thread. There is no collection of reviews/scores in the OP. Might be something for the OP to add here to the OT?

The funny thing about the Teras Kasi reference is that the visual dictionary for TLJ says that's what Snoke's guards use, and I thought it was just a funny easter egg buried in supplemental material. Hearing the term in a movie was so unexpected.

Teräs Käsi was a video game first.

The crystal skull in Dryden' s room was an indy Easter egg right? We've had the holy grail in Rebels and a C3P0/R2 in Lost Ark so I'm guessing so

The Indy easter eggs in Solo are:
Keep a lookout when Han is wandering around the gangster's yacht in the film. The Sankara Stones from "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," the fertility idol from "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and the Holy Grail are all on display as trophies.

http://worthplaying.com/article/2018/5/18/reviews/108814/

It's a bit different. I mean we've seen how Maul's story ends. Before his cameo, I wasn't expecting him to feature prominently in a TV show or book for a while if at all.

It was an extremely surprising cameo - especially for those who don't follow the animated shows haha.

I saw the film before the spoiler leaked, and seeing it happen on screen was like seeing
Red Skull show up.

Everyone is trashing Solo in the BO thread while this thread is a lot more positive than I expected after the TLJ thread.

I suspect most who have seen it will have a more positive outlook.

So it was Ray Park playing him but was it Sam returning to voice him from CW/Rebels? It sounded like Sam's Maul.

Park only did the body. The voice was done by another actor who's name I can't recall offhand.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I enjoyed it, it was good fun. Dialogue was a wee bit clunky at times. They didn't outright say "As you already know....*exposition dump*", but they skirted that line a few times at the start.
The Darth Maul thing......ugh. Chopped in half, fall down a huge shaft, just a minor inconvenience apparently. I know it happened in the cartoon stuff, that doesn't make it any less goofy. I admit, if we get to see Ray Park do his thing again, that might be cool. But in the movies he was an absolute nothing of a character, so seeing him here might have been surprising, but I was more just thinking "I can't believe they did that shit" than any kind of excitement. And he just had to pop his light sabre, didn't he? Almost went a full movie without one...and they just had to crowbar one in there.
Apart from that, it was a good time. Some great visuals in there. Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover were both great, and had great chemistry too. Would love to see a buddy smuggler Star Wars flick featuring them both. Paul Bettany could've been a cool villain if he had a bit more screen time, but he made good use of the time he had. Woody Harrelson was good too. Emilia Clarke was fine...if a bit too smiley when she should be playing conflicted a bit more. She was probably the weakest of the main cast.
I hope it does well. Haven't been disappointed by any of the new Star Wars movies yet. Did we need a Solo movie? Not really, doesn't stop it being a good, entertaining film with good performances. All the complaining about Ehrenreich....unfounded, imo.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the general consensus yet but I actually really loved it. Genuinely pleasantly surprised by it. The Hologram moment had me jaw agape. There was a moment were Han became very arrogant in the middle of the film we're i saw glimmers of Harrison shine through too.

Yes, Witwer did the VO.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So for those who have seen it, were there any scenes where it seemed obvious that L&M were behind the camera rather than Ron Howard? We know he reshot 70% of the movie but we don't know what 30% he left as-is. That's still a sizeable chunk.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover were both great, and had great chemistry too. Would love to see a buddy smuggler Star Wars flick featuring them both.
Agreed, their scenes together were great, with the highlight being Lando's reaction after Han 'lands' the Falcon. Both of them left me wanting more.
So for those who have seen it, were there any scenes where it seemed obvious that L&M were behind the camera rather than Ron Howard? We know he reshot 70% of the movie but we don't know what 30% he left as-is. That's still a sizeable chunk.
Some of the early scenes on Corellia must make up some of it. Lord and Miller shot quite a bit of footage at Fawley Power Station for the speeder chase and it looks like they used it. Other than that I wouldn't like to say.

Last edited:

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Honestly, it's not something I ever picked up on I have to say

I would love to know exactly what was and wasn't though

Nov 11, 2017
I don't think Maul reveal means they will follow the cartoons exactly. If there is a sequel and he is the main villain, surely he would be killed in that film?

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017

Yea - I noticed the same thing. The BO thread turned pretty toxic after some of the revised BO projections showed a low OW.

I think the reactions in this thread are more reasonable and they still have me pretty excited to see this tomorrow.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the actresses - either Thandy or Phoebe - also said most of her scenes weren't reshot, right?

I don't think Maul reveal means they will follow the cartoons exactly. If there is a sequel and he is the main villain, surely he would be killed in that film?

I don't know how "Here's a guy whose being alive makes no sense unless you watched this cartoon" could mean anything other than that they hold the cartoons to the same standard of canonicity.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They only killed him in Rebels last year. Why would they cancel that out already? Lucasfilm have been careful to try and make sure the films, TV shows, comics and books all work together without contradicting one another.
I think one of the actresses - either Thandy or Phoebe - also said most of her scenes weren't reshot, right?
That's true. Thandie did say that. All her scenes are on Mimban and Vandor.

Last edited:

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
I thought it started really rough but by the halfway point I was all in and really enjoyed the back end of the movie.

Nov 11, 2017

I don't know how "Here's a guy whose being alive makes no sense unless you watched this cartoon" could mean anything other than that they hold the cartoons to the same standard of canonicity.
I have never watched the cartoons and it made perfect sense to me. Maul survived.

It just seems like having a villain that we know won't get defeated in a sequel seems odd.

Nov 3, 2017
I have never watched the cartoons and it made perfect sense to me. Maul survived.

It just seems like having a villain that we know won't get defeated in a sequel seems odd.

There's really nothing stopping them from reimagining Maul's final duel in a live action movie. Like the cartoon would still be canon, there'll just also be a live action version of the same fight

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

"Defeated" doesn't necessarily means "die", yar? Maybe Han would just bring Maul's criminal empire down while he'd escape without dignity.

And even if Han seemingly killed him somehow, he still doesn't necessarily die. After all, he's cut in half in Episode I and look where that got us.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I actually really liked the movie. Better than Last Jedi for sure, not like that's hard. Fun action packed movie.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
So a friend of mine is telling me that she's set to watch it tonight but everyone keeps telling her that it sucks.

I couldn't care less about what they think. But she's worried now.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Swapped out my original tickets to go tonight instead of tomorrow. Honestly, a lot of the impressions in this thread have me really excited.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

That could describe Darth Vader from the original Star Wars. He went two whole movies before defeat in the third.
I know? And given its reputation, I found it funny that it's finally been canonized to such a degree.

Ah, from your comment, I thought you only knew about it from the TLJ/Snoke book reference. My bad.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was cool. Music especially was well used, action was nice esp the Kessel run, wanted a bit more Lando tho.
Emilia Clarke was whatever, I liked the rest of the cast, yes even not Ingruber.
They could have lingered a bit less for all the "origin parts" like the gun, his name, etc. Other than that it was done quickly and the movie managed to be about something else.

Also put me in the "fuck darth maul being alive" camp but now that it's actual cannon I'll shut up about it.

I'd easily rank it above rogue one. Maybe above ROTJ but I'd need to rewatch it to know.

lol'd at the han shot first tho, nice jab at the special edition bullshit

Last edited:

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
I hated episode VII and thought rouge one wasn't great (ep. VIII I didn't even want to see), but solo was fantastic.

hank_tree

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just out. It wasn't as bad as Rogue One but it was close. The middle section with Lando was decent and that's it really. Almost walked out at the start when they explained where Han Solo got his name....

Jesus fucking Christ give me strength.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Just out. It wasn't as bad as Rogue One but it was close. The middle section with Lando was decent and that's it really. Almost walked out at the start when they explained where Han Solo got his name....

Jesus fucking Christ give me strength.
Just wait until Boba Fett: A Star Wars Story where it's revealed Jango gave Boba his name because of a really great boba tea he had on a planet once when he was a child.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having admittedly been one of the doubters, I actually enjoyed it.

Pros:

- Han and Qi'Ra are totally believable, both actors put in a stand up job
- Chewbacca is just brilliant
- It gives a sense of scope and scale to the characters involved
- Final fight scene was pretty impressive
- Glover is perfect as Lando and the Falcon win was deserved, was well written.

Cons:

- Secondary characters are just there and disposable, which is unfortunate
- Liked L3 but the aggressiveness and robo-sexual aspect with Lando seemed a bit off?, "oh it works".
- The reveal of the marauders and the fact Han would fund the rebellion to a young girl/woman seems to go against his character and dialogue.
- Maul part was kinda pointless unless there is a sequel, not everyone likes or knows the animated series.
- Music at the end was kind of trying too many things.

hank_tree

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just wait until Boba Fett: A Star Wars Story where it's revealed Jango gave Boba his name because of a really great boba tea he had on a planet once when he was a child.

With James Mangold on Boba Fett, I wouldn't expect something that subtle.