ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
The review embargo for Solo: A Star Wars Story is lifting today at 2pm Pacific/5pm Eastern. Not long after the Cannes premiere of the movie. Press in the US have already seen it and have reviews ready to go.

This is the earliest in the Disney era of Star Wars that a review embargo has been lifted (10 days). The Force Awakens, Rogue One, and The Last Jedi were all just a couple days before release due to keeping the plot under wraps.

That's not to say there's not a huge surprise in Solo, so don't post spoilers here.

Also, if you want to avoid spoilers; DO NOT read the Variety or Forbes reviews. They will spoil the big surprise just to be snarky jerks and get rage clicks on their review.

t1526418000z4.png

Last edited:

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Calling it now: It's between AotC and PM critically.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I don't really understand what could possibly be spoiled. We already know how it all ends up, lol.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking this will review right around where IW did. Mid 80's on RT with somewhere in the 7's for average rating sounds about right given the early impressions

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the look of a Han Solo movie before he becomes cool, but it's going to get good reviews if the press tweets last week are anything to go by

I'm going to guess a RT rating of 80% and an average rating of 6.5

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
in the 80s for me...

all the new star wars joints, regardless of personal opinions, have been received well

in fact, i'd even go as far as to say that it will be critically and commercially successful enough for a Solo 2 to at least be discussed (matey boy did sign a three picture deal (which i know could mean anything and saves disney future coins))

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Oh it will create meltdowns among some people for sure. Especially those who choose what they consider to be "canon".
Yeah but those kind of people were always going to nitpick, no matter what they do, 20% of the fan base are going to hate it.

I'd say it'll excite or at least intrigue most fans. I wasn't fond of TLJ, but this + Donald's Lando + a likely Obi Wan film has me reasonably happy again.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
How about, if you post NO SPOILERS in the thread title and the OP, and emphasize how there's a big surprise and direct people away from the places that will spoil it, you then don't also to proceed to talk around that spoiler. There are surely other Star Wars threads where you guys can hint to each other about how other people will react to what you already know. Christ.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You all should stop even talking around spoilers particularly the one you are all referring to.

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
How about, if you post NO SPOILERS in the thread title and the OP, and emphasize how there's a big surprise and direct people away from the places that will spoil it, you then don't also to proceed to talk around that spoiler. There are surely other Star Wars threads where you guys can hint to each other about how other people will react to what you already know. Christ.

If I didn't post the advanced warning about Variety and Forbes, then people would read their reviews and get spoiled.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I bet it will review well with critics. Then it will ignore some dumb detail from some dumb old EU book, include women in the film, and get blasted in the user scores.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet it will review well with critics. Then it will ignore some dumb detail from some dumb old EU book, include women in the film, and get blasted in the user scores.

Page 1 and we are already starting on claiming people who don't like certain Star Wars films is because it has women in them.

Nice.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Oh you made the review thread. Oh well! Guess I missed out again lol.

I've been having the worst week when it comes to making threads haha.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Wonder how Woody is, he wasn't talked about much in impressions but he stole the show in the trailers. He's usually pretty great.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing about this movie, and haven't kept up with marketing. I've seen the trailer but that's it. I know it's a story about Han Solo before Episode IV? Where exactly is it set on the timeline? The positive social impressions made me succumb and buy a ticket lol.