• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's is your opinion about Mass Effect 2 launch trailer?

• It's the very best trailer I've ever seen!

Votes: 28 12.4%
  • It's the very best launch trailer I've ever seen!

Votes: 16 7.1%
  • It's among the very best trailers I've ever seen!

Votes: 72 32.0%
  • I wouldn't put it among the best, but close. It's excellent.

Votes: 24 10.7%
  • It's a good trailer, but nothing special.

Votes: 63 28.0%
  • I don't think it's a good trailer.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • It's a terrible trailer.

Votes: 9 4.0%

• Total voters

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

It's just perfect. The quiet beginning, the dialogue, the music, the scenes they picked.... everything.

The trailer completely encapsulates what ME2 is about. You can feel the game while watching it. You can know what it's about and know the impact it can have. In terms of Launch Trailer, you can't do any better than that.

I remember gametrailers made a list of the best 100 trailers a long time ago, and this got second place in the user vote, so I'm not alone is loving it. And I've seen many people since mentioning it as a top tier trailer. What do you think about it?

Anyway, happy birthday Mass Effect 2, the most special game in my life.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I actually preferred the cinematic Distress Call trailer for ME1, but ME2's was also pretty good.

foxdvd

Oct 30, 2017
Is this the trailer they played during the super bowl? I remember a friend who played GRAW all the time and refused to try anything new, asking me about the game because of that trailer.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It's a good AAA game trailer but there isn't really anything super special about it. Just feels like the same kind of thing you see for big action films to me

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely better than that BOTW trailer that random Era member keeps propping up as the greatest of all time lol

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The music elevates the trailer to new heights.

A good track can make a trailer 10x better.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I still think "fight for the lost" was such a corny phrase. There's something about the way this game is lit that makes me so uncomfortable. It has this cold, irradiated feel. I know that was intentional. It's very well done.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Everything about ME2 is just top notch. From marketing to release and game

nah, the main plot sucked massively and was a huge letdown coming from the excellent ME1's narrative.

Also, planet scanning, chest-high walls, and the mission end screen that took you out of the game

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
I used to love mass effect back in the day. I loved looking at all 3 launch trailers for mass effect 1, 2 and 3 back to back.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Kinda strange looking back now, never seen the trailer despite playing all 3 games few years ago.

Looks great btw.

Oct 29, 2017
Back then I liked it.

Now it's just pretentious, cheesy and overall not good.

Any trailer with this kind of dialogue is bad IMO. They never age well.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think the BoTW is better

The ME2 one is cut well, but the music is so cliche and overdone that it ruins it completely for me

I have no nostalgia for this time though and only got around to the ME Trilogy in 2017. I actually made a thread chronicling my first playthough of 1-3 early on in this forums life

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
I agree. Mass Effect 2 (and Deus Ex: Human Revolution) are by far the best two game trailers made to date.

One thing I think they do well is use mostly in-game footage. They're not over-the-top CGI (like the AC:Revelations trailer earlier in this thread).

They manage to capture the tone and player feeling in the game, with the game itself, without spoiling it.

Mass Effect 2 has an overwhelming tone of optimism, overcoming the odds, teamwork, and heroism, and the trailer just nails it. Deus Ex: Human Revolution nails the tone of fighting, intrigue, rising to the challenge.

I think a lot of CGI trailers just try to go "look at this badass. In this game, you will be badass."

Lots of games make me feel like a badass. I don't think that's unique anymore.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima and to a lesser extent Nomura still make the best trailers and there's a HUUUUUUUUUUGE gulf between Kojima and whatever gets posted in this thread. Closest we had was The Sword of Destiny trailer and that was 6 years ago.

Jul 26, 2018
White male human accompanied with a hot white female human saves the galaxy... the kind of things I would never realize 10 years ago, but now that I've had my eyes opened I cannot unsee anymore.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Sorry.

The MGS2 E3 2000 trailer was stunning on its own dramatic merits. But also the tech bewildered everyone who saw it and once they realized it was in-engine people went bonkers. Despite being 18 months out, the hype after people downloaded that video (along with other E3 2000 footage) effectively killed the Dreamcast.

Also many other Kojima, R*, and even Gran Turismo trailers.

Last edited:

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
While I don't really like the game all that much, the trailer is fantastic.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Can't decide between BotW and ME2 launch trailers. One of those two is the best.
Deus Ex HR and AC Revelations trailers that are posted above are also excellent

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the CG one of Shepard and Grunt fighting a giant Thresher Maw a bit more, but it's pretty good.

I'll echo that the BotW trailer remains the best I've personally ever seen, and one of the few to elicit an actual genuine reaction out of me.

BlackBoyFly

Oct 12, 2020
Agreed OP. Can't tell you how many times I viewed the launch trailer. The only video game trailers that come even close imo are the MGSV ones.

I also really enjoyed the Star Wars The Old Republic trailers and the Halo 3 commercials, tho those didn't feature any actual game footage.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Something about ME2 and scouring the galaxy to assemble a team of the best for a suicide mission just scratches an itch for me like few games have. Throw in a shady group like Cerebus and visting places like Omega and it ticked all the boxes even more.

Can't wait to replay the series.