Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Sure there is, just embed the (currently server side) system integrity check inside every new game executable. What ever new game is played on a compromised system, the system will lock up by triggering a fault state. This will require special permissions to some private fault state APIs naturally.
I think that would be worst, the point of the server side is that hacker cant see how it works without accessing the server (which not will be highly illegal), by putting said protocol into the games, its no longer illegal for teh hackers to look at it and reverse it.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that data is transferred from the source's Switch to other Switches when supposedly the images are all supposed to be from a predetermined list. You'd think for viewing another person's avatar, my console would just be given a "display 33.jpg" command and look up my local file, rather than get a copy of 33.jpg over the 'net.

You can take Mii images as an avatar, they're probably just using the same system for everything.

oic.

Oct 26, 2017
Good thing is that Nintendo could actually automate the bans, they just need to check every user's profile pic and check if it matches any of the pre-installed ones, and if not, they ban it.
But the mii avatars are pretty customizable. I think that's why this is possible at all. Mii avatars are posed and framed by the users

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
How can something like this even happen? Does Nintendo have some poor security or something?
It's been said a few times earlier in the thread but a developer illegally sold a Switch Dev Kit on eBay. Not sure if it's the same Dev Kit but a buyer proceeded to distribute the software & encryption keys from a Dev Kit on the internet.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Comment from another forum concerning the banwave that is currently happening on hackers Switch's that connect online.

"Lol. Just occurred to me 39 pages in and none of us know how Nintendo's doing it. But they did it in record time."

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would be cool if they ban every hacked console from getting online. You want your """homebrew""", stay offline. As a future paying online user, I want no fuckery around.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
It's been said a few times earlier in the thread but a developer illegally sold a Switch Dev Kit on eBay. Not sure if it's the same Dev Kit but a buyer proceeded to distribute the software & encryption keys from a Dev Kit on the internet.

What the fuck. Is there a way for Nintendo to track that Dev down? That is such a huge breach of trust with immense consequence.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Surely they must have been able to track down the dev kit? At least i hope they have a means to track down these kits. Oof.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
Oh that sucks for it to have been a Dev stolen dev kit would have been a better look for the industry but for a Dev to do this smh

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Is there a way for Nintendo to track that Dev down?
should not be hard to look for Dev Kits not online or on different IP addresses than the one they were before, is not like there is a myriad of dev kits on the wild, so finding the stupid enough to do it wont be hard. and yes, this is breach of contract and NDA so expect some lawsuit if not straight the Yakuza or Ninjas

Oh that sucks for it to have been a Dev stolen dev kit would have been a better look for the industry but for a Dev to do this smh
is not only who stole it but the buyer is on deep shit too ause he distributed the dev Menu, that is nintendo licensend software, not a reversed or homebrew so this is room for more legal actions. anyone involved in this is in for a surprise of the bad kind

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
God dam, both PS4 and switch now blown wide open!
yes and no, the current whole scene relay on a hardware exploit (blame of Nvidia) that is being phased out by a new System on a Chip that is coming out. remove that flaw and the whole scene is basically close to zero about how to breach the console as all the software holes were patched in 5.0.0
people dont even know how Nintendo is keeping track or where hidding the logs of the Switch, many have been banned after Installing home brew/ swapping back to "legal FW", playing online,

Basically they are bragging about going into a house cause a guest left the door open, when that door is closed they are out

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i suppose all they could do is ask ebay for the data of the user that sold the devkit..but i don't know if they have to or are willing to comply

They won't even need that. All menudevs are flagged differently, all they have to do (and they probably did already) is getting their hands on those publicily-available devkeys, identifying the devkit in question, look at who acquired it in the first place and send the yakuza there.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
They won't even need that. All menudevs are flagged differently, all they have to do (and they probably did already) is getting their hands on those publicily-available devkeys, identifying the devkit in question, look at who acquired it in the first place and send the yakuza there.
im actually surprised it has not make it to any of the vidya news outlets that someone fucking sold a Switch Dev Kit on Ebay

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
How about reading the thread before posting? You know, to make sure you know what you are taking about. Just common sense

Jesus calm down.

What I said is 100% valid given the content of the OP. If you don't understand it that's fine, but don't be a dick. The profile pictures are stored server side, and the Switch OS by default only allows selection from a predefined list. It's common sense that if some profile picture on the server isn't one from that list then it was done with this tool.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018
if it makes you feel better, likely neither are hackers, a disposable account now becomes a 20$ investment every time they feel like trolling,

technically they can pay for just a month as well, but that's still money down the drain when you get instabanned for going online with hacks like a fucking idiot

but also you have to buy a new switch to play online again, so i guess it's still expensive!

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'll revoke the ability to download any data from the CDN, that includes updates. Right now they are lenient, they can do whatever they want with server side authentication.

And, please, these meticulous offline only pirates are a dream. People make mistakes and people want to play online.
You completely ran in a direction I wasn't describing. Again I'm talking about getting the games and patches OFFLINE. Without touching Nintendo's servers. If they're not going to force people to go online to receive any patch, choosing to never ship physical games with patches or other content added down the line, then there's nothing they can do to stop that stuff from being distributed if its obtained physically.

You're trying to act as if you're an authority figure on the issue and you cant even wrap your head around all the ways games are obtained.