• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
If you're like me, you found out about a two or so months ago about Cracked's youtube channel and on that channel started binging hilarious shows like After Hours and a very good one called Some News. And then if you keep being like me, first of all, stop stalking me, secondly, you were probably wondering why their video output seemingly stopped a few months ago, following by remembering reading something about Cracked a while ago, followed by upon research realizing that the news about Cracked was that they had kicked most of their senior editorial staff, including the Some News guy, Cody Johnston.

Now, apparently he has started a Patreon channel and are once more releasing videos again under the name "Some More News".

And they are great:

The latest one in particular deals in it's opening segment with a certain individual who, to protect people from spoilers, I'll refer to as Fucker Calzone. It's pretty good. And I also may hate that man. A lot. And that's just the start of the episode.

I highly recommend this to anyone who's interested in comedic news commentary, give this show a chance to watch. Watch his old playlist as well, there is a ton of good stuff in there.

Last edited:

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
I happily backed this. Cody is a good dude, and these are great. Glad to find someone else into it!

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Will check this out! Slightly off-topic, but what does Swaim do these days?

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Cracked shutting down their video team and firing all the best talent was the biggest bullshit ever. I'm glad Cody is back. But I still miss After Hours so much and am mad they never even got to do the series finale they were filming before Cracked just stopped.

Oct 25, 2017
This just randomly showed up in my Youtube recommendations and I somehow missed this thread. I needed this. Glad Cody seems to be doing alright

OP
OP
Keasar

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
There are two podcasts now available with latest one having been released today where he and Katy Stoll, a fellow producer of the show, are discussing recent news. The first episode had some shoddy audio quality but they got new equipment for the second episode.

Sex Workers' Safety, Young Girls' Safety Around Joe Biden, James O'Keefe's Safety Around Jokes - Ep 1
Trump's Failed Attempts To Understand DACA, Hollywood's Failed Attempts To Accurately Reflect Their Values, America's Failed Attempts To Treat People Equally - Ep 2

They are quite interesting to listen to, I quite agree in the second episode on their opinion that Hollywood, while not a single hivemind entity, have a bit of a identity issue where the actors, producers and more try to advocate for sensible gun laws and reforms cause guns are bloody dangerous but they are also on the other hand still quite glorifying gun violence. As like in Bojack Horseman:
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Keasar

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Gonna keep posting this stuff here and treat this thread as the OT for this show. Hopefully more people find this cause it is great.

New episode focusing on Sean Hannity's hypocrisy, Trumps hypocritical war in Syria and more.

It's quite infuriating how FOX News in the US. really tries to force their propaganda on people without any consequence or repercussion, like, this is straight up lies. Love also how every example of Sean Hannity's "actual mob bosses" fits on Trump when Sean tried to defend Trump against the "mob boss" comments from Comey.

Last edited:

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Love the show. His was probably the show that hurt the most when cracked fired everyone. He might be better at this than John Oliver, and Cody writes everything himself

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Love the show. His was probably the show that hurt the most when cracked fired everyone. He might be better at this than John Oliver, and Cody writes everything himself
Cracked killing the video part of the site to go back to mostly print and firing all the talent is the shittiest thing ever and for like the stupidest bullshit reason. I watched their stuff every single day and loved all the people there. I'm glad Some News made its way back as it is sorely needed in this day and age, but After Hours was brilliant and deserved to live. Shame they can't get all the people back together there as it was at least 8 people as far as I can tell. (4 for writing and the 4 actors) I can only hope they all end up in something really cool that I stumble upon one day.

OP
OP
Keasar

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Listened to the podcast for the first time. It's was ok but felt unstructured
It is quite unstructured, but I kinda like it. Hearing them just talk a bit about the different subjects, their opinions on the matter and more. I also quite recommend the bonus segment of their latest episode where they have journalist Robert Evans on the show who is working a lot in the Middle East to cover the stories there. He put up quite a grand perspective of the things that occur there by going back in history to bring more context as to why shit is fucked in the area (hint: Colonialism).
https://podtail.com/sv/podcast/even-more-news/how-to-solve-all-middle-eastern-conflicts-this-tit/

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit! I was a huge fan of Cracked's video stuff and I had no idea this existed. Thank you OP for making this thread. I wish YouTube's recommendations would let me know stuff like this instead of throwing spoilers for whatever game I'm playing at me all the time.

OP
OP
Keasar

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
tenor.gif

New episode!

Kanye West! Candance Owens! PragerU-oh-these-assholes! Billionaries corrupting people and destroying fact based discourse through propaganda!

tumblr_m4qttwNMq11r6nkgzo1_500.gif

Godfuckingdamnit!

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
tenor.gif

New episode!

Kanye West! Candance Owens! PragerU-oh-these-assholes! Billionaries corrupting people and destroying fact based discourse through propaganda!

tumblr_m4qttwNMq11r6nkgzo1_500.gif

Godfuckingdamnit!

Thank Christ it's about time I saw someone take them to task, they've been flooding my youtube ads for months!

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly went down at Cracked? Know about a lot of them getting the boot but is there more to the story than that.

They got bought out and the company decided to just ax the whole video department and focus more on the freelance articles. So a good majority of the staff got let go because of that.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly went down at Cracked? Know about a lot of them getting the boot but is there more to the story than that.

Cracked got purchased by E.W. Scripps back in April 2017, which led to long-time EiC Jack O'Brien leaving in July. Around that time, Michael Swaim stepped away to focus on dealing with alcoholism. Meanwhile, Scripps was looking to cut costs and used the YouTube Adpocalypse as cover to lay off anyone involved in video content back in December, leaving Cracked's editorial team as David Wong and a bunch of freelancers.

OP
OP
Keasar

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Thank Christ it's about time I saw someone take them to task, they've been flooding my youtube ads for months!
I saw once a Prager U video about communism, and while not entirely unreasonable how awful it is, they also started to say that it was worse than Naziism just because of the killcount and that is where I realized that Prager U was a bunch of bull.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I saw once a Prager U video about communism, and while not entirely unreasonable how awful it is, they also started to say that it was worse than Naziism just because of the killcount and that is where I realized that Prager U was a bunch of bull.
I've seen only one good PragerU video and that was one covering whether the civil war was fought over slavery. It was presented by the head of the dept of history at west point military academy. The answer: yes.

The basic flow of that video:
1. Many people have a hard time believing it because they don't want to think that the citizens of the southern states would fight and die for a morally repugnant institution -"There has to be some other reason," we are told.
2. "Well there wasn't. The evidence is clear and overwhelming that slavery was, by a wide margin, the single most important cause of the civil war."
3. Then it lays down the facts.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1. Many people have a hard time believing it because they don't want to think that the citizens of the southern states would fight and die for a morally repugnant institution -"There has to be some other reason," we are told.
I was thinking about this on my way home after watching Cody's video about Kanye. A lot of Southerners were used by slave owners to perpetuate the institution of slavery by being convinced that it will help them out. In reality, they were being sent to fight and die just so certain people can keep slaves. Slave owners and whites in power in general used racism in an attempt to make more money. This is essentially what is happening today. Billionaires are stoking white supremacy to bring more people to right and vote for politicians that would make it easier for the billionaires to make more money.

Nov 1, 2017
They got bought out and the company decided to just ax the whole video department and focus more on the freelance articles. So a good majority of the staff got let go because of that.
Cracked got purchased by E.W. Scripps back in April 2017, which led to long-time EiC Jack O'Brien leaving in July. Around that time, Michael Swaim stepped away to focus on dealing with alcoholism. Meanwhile, Scripps was looking to cut costs and used the YouTube Adpocalypse as cover to lay off anyone involved in video content back in December, leaving Cracked's editorial team as David Wong and a bunch of freelancers.

Thanks for the info. It's pretty sad this happened to them as I love their articles from the past, I remember around the time of Robin Williams death one article popped up that talked about how a lot of people that use humor tend to suffer from depression and it was their coping mechanism. That they even had a "secret" forum where their contributors could post on to get support from one another as more than a few suffered likewise.

OP
OP
Keasar

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Thanks for the info. It's pretty sad this happened to them as I love their articles from the past, I remember around the time of Robin Williams death one article popped up that talked about how a lot of people that use humor tend to suffer from depression and it was their coping mechanism. That they even had a "secret" forum where their contributors could post on to get support from one another as more than a few suffered likewise.
That one was quite an eye opener, the death of Robin had truly shocked me for how sudden and unexpected it felt. Still hurts even today. :(

Another one of my favourite articles is the one about the U.S.S William D. Porter destroyer shipand its hilarious hijinks during the short life it had. Cracked had a ton of great articles in the past. As for the video team, it sucks having also lost After Hours which I mentioned in the OP, quite interesting discussions around pop culture were to be had in that.

Holy shit, this dude is the next Jon Stewart. Awesome stuff.
If you wanna find another "next Jon Stewart", I highly recommend you check out Egypt's contribution to that title, Bassem Youssef. I posted about him and his movie Tickling Giants in the "documentaries you should watch"-thread and I cannot state it enough that this man deserve so much cred along with his crew for what he and they did in that environment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keasar

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
And here we go.

Wholeheartedly agree with his opening, Donald Trump was talking about people in general, the MS-13 thing was brought up as a small example by a sheriff who wanted to report people to ICE who didn't "meet the thresh hold". Fucking hell this is so disturbing...

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
And here we go.

Wholeheartedly agree with his opening, Donald Trump was talking about people in general, the MS-13 thing was brought up as a small example by a sheriff who wanted to report people to ICE who didn't "meet the thresh hold". Fucking hell this is so disturbing...

Amazing episode. The world needs more of this. Cody, I mean. Not fascism. We could do well with a little bit less of that.

Oct 25, 2017
And here we go.

I feel bad that he lost his job, and I think the first episode was bit rough, but these last couple of been really good, and I think they're better then they were when he was at Cracked

OP
OP
Keasar

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Had to make a pause before watching the whole episode, that was extremely depressing. The complete dehumanization of whole groups of people by men in charge of nations... Fuck...

OP
OP
Keasar

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
A new episode released yesterday, to add to all that the depressing shit.

....yaaaaay....

Made before the audio clip of the crying children got out.

I might soon pick up drinking cause this is tearing on me.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the best channel on YouTube currently. Hbomber and Contra are a bit too creative at times (lol) so even though I love those as well, Some More News resonates more consistently with me in execution.

OP
OP
Keasar

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Another great episode.
Another time to worry how people are moving towards the far right in blind stupidity. Tomorrow it's the day dedicated to the Swedish Democrats (the Far-Right party here) at the yearly political gathering week for the upcoming election. Not looking forward to seeing how many idiots fall for their bullshit.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
I thank God everyday for Cody's Showdy. His informative rants keep me sane. Glad he found some success after that whole cracked debacle.