• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Full credit to Smitch for the finding.

Firesprite twisted metal game could be one of the hybrid playstation game
www.firesprite.com

Join Us

Work with talented people on amazing projects!

We are looking for a Principal Physics Programmer to join the early development of a new, AAA, Unreal 5 multiplayer action game.

This bold project aims to break new ground in multiplayer, blending gameplay mechanics in new ways and deeply embedding storytelling elements into a unique universe.

• Experience developing gameplay for VR would be useful.

Also a little more info about the game
www.firesprite.com

Join Us

As a Lead AI Programmer, you will be responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining state-of-the art AI behavioural systems and overall NPC Gameplay architecture. You will be working on next gen platforms and in areas such as but not limited to – AI, NPC behaviours, pathfinding, navigation, decision trees, choice systems.

• Experience of working with game-play mechanics concerning narrative, action or adventure games.

In joblisting for their multiplayer action game (twisted metal), they said it'll have vehicular combat and on foot combat

We are looking for a Principal Designer with a specialty in 3C's to join the early development of a new, AAA, Unreal 5 multiplayer action game. This bold project aims to break new ground, blending genre transcending gameplay mechanics around vehicular and on foot combat and deeply embedding them into a unique gameplay environment as part of a unique and vibrant universe. We're building an elite, diverse first-party team and this is your opportunity to help shape a future blockbuster!

www.firesprite.com

Join Us

Pc day 1
  • Knowledge of range of game services such as Steam and PSN back ends.

Last edited:

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony finds a way to make all their first party games vr compatible in some shape or form then that can be huge.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
That job listing doesn't confirm that it's coming to PC day 1. It is however likely as Hermen basically confirmed GaaS will be day 1.

VR is interesting though, as aren't Twisted Metal games typically third-person? I guess it could just be a first-person mode when you are in a car.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
cA6LSMf.gif

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
And to think I got criticised for saying in the rumour thread that Firesprite was rumoured to be working on Twisted Metal VR.

Oh well :-)

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
This is in the description of a designer role for this multiplayer game

In depth knowledge of character, camera and controls systems (ideally in multiplayer titles)

So it's either not twisted metal or they added character control ala destruction all star

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022

So it's either not twisted metal or they added character control ala destruction all star
Yeah in joblisting for their multiplayer action game (twisted metal), they said it'll have vehicular combat and on foot combat
We are looking for a Principal Designer with a specialty in 3C's to join the early development of a new, AAA, Unreal 5 multiplayer action game. This bold project aims to break new ground, blending genre transcending gameplay mechanics around vehicular and on foot combat and deeply embedding them into a unique gameplay environment as part of a unique and vibrant universe. We're building an elite, diverse first-party team and this is your opportunity to help shape a future blockbuster!
www.firesprite.com

Join Us

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
That job listing doesn't confirm that it's coming to PC day 1. It is however likely as Hermen basically confirmed GaaS will be day 1.

VR is interesting though, as aren't Twisted Metal games typically third-person? I guess it could just be a first-person mode when you are in a car.
The quote was you are referring to only said GAAS might be day and date.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
VR compatible Twisted Metal doesn't sound particularly compelling to me for the design implications it carries. One of my favorite parts of the last Twisted Metal was how ballistic and chaotic it was going fast and seeing vehicles flung around like it was the most "PS2-mentality" type game in terms of speed and physics. Enabling VR for that level of detail would probably be completely nauseating to experience so I'd have to imagine things will be toned down. Maybe they could get around it somehow for a VR setting though.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Not everything VR is or has to be 1st person :)

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah in joblisting for their multiplayer action game, they said it'll have vehicular combat and on foot combat
Ah makes sense that's clear enough. Maybe not surprising since it was supposed to be developed by Lucid who were behind destruction allstars, but it's interesting that it integrates narrative elements and NPC. Seems like a very fresh take on the series.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
VR compatible Twisted Metal doesn't sound particularly compelling to me for the design implications it carries. One of my favorite parts of the last Twisted Metal was how ballistic and chaotic it was going fast and seeing vehicles flung around like it was the most "PS2-mentality" type game in terms of speed and physics. Enabling VR for that level of detail would probably be completely nauseating to experience so I'd have to imagine things will be toned down. Maybe they could get around it somehow for a VR setting though.
I'm actually rrally interested with car combat game with eye tracking. I always have problem multitasling between driving the car and positioning car to aim weapon. With vr eye tracking, I imagine you can seamlessly drive and aim at the same time

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
sony might have some NICE gaas hits lined up. pc/console xplay Day One on twisted metal, tlou, horizon.... whew

my steam deck is so ready

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
Yeah in joblisting for their multiplayer action game (twisted metal), they said it'll have vehicular combat and on foot combat
www.firesprite.com

Join Us

Angie Can you add this to the OP since i think some people don't know about it

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
That wasn't actually what he said. He said it would be considered on a game by game basis. But never actually said 100%.

Also Firespite having VR for this would make sense considering they've already done VR development before.

Unlikely. Sony wants you on PSVR2.
It didn't say case by case for GaaS games but used the word 'might' so yeah not 100% if you take those word literally.

www.resetera.com

Herman Hulst - PlayStation GAAS to release day and date on PC, SP games "at least one year" after console release

https://twitter.com/GamerUPGaming/status/1577304954947178498?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1577304954947178498%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Deleted member 110527

Mar 11, 2022

A "character" can also be a vehicle as far as a developer is concerned, its just meant to be generic wording.

tbf, they were experimenting with on foot segments for what was the cancelled TW: Black 2, so it's not that far out of the question that would try that concept again, even with a different developer.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
GaaS/MP day one on PC it's the only way (looks at Destruction AllStars). I bet people will dig VR files on the PC version and create unofficial support for PSVR2 on PC.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
GaaS/MP day one on PC it's the only way (looks at Destruction AllStars). I bet people will dig VR files on the PC version and create unofficial support for PSVR2 on PC.

Per the person who made PSVR work on PC, PSVR2 might not get unofficial support:

You would be wasting your money, as there is no guarantee you could ever use it on a PC, and quite a good chance that you won't be able to. The original PSVR is (electronically) equivalent to a monitor and so it it is relatively simple to get a video signal up on it. Reading sensors etc. took a lot of reverse engineering, and at least a year from release before anyone figured that out. It then took a couple more years before it was usable as a PC VR headset. Tracking and controllers (using the original hardware) is still very much a work in progress, over 5 years from release. That is without Sony making any effort to prevent non PS4 users from using it.

Even if they haven't [encrypted headset data] it would take a lot of reverse engineering (read several years) just to get an image on the headset. Then there is the tracking, which would need to be developed, as there isn't a ready-made SLAM tracker available for Windows (assuming of course the camera protocol was reverse-engineered). Then the controllers etc. etc.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Very interesting.

If Sony finds a way to make all their first party games vr compatible in some shape or form then that can be huge.

This would literally be the killer app some have been asking for.

Hell, learning GT7 was developed with VR in mind from day one speaks volumes.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I'd give it a shot on PC if the price was right / F2P. If there is proper PCVR support, I definitely would be more inclined

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
If they're going VR support; I hope they support driving wheels too; TM would be so awesome. Hope it's not online only.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
That is one game I would not want to play in vr. I'm pretty sure it's the kind of game hat would get me vr sick (I can handle most vr except when I'm in a vehicle that is going crazy that I don't have control of. So far it's only been on land vehicles in elite dangerous I can't handle but I suspect twisted metal would have the same kind of movements that make me sick).

NineBall

May 22, 2022
Hell yes for a new Twisted Metal game. PS3 version was awesome and chaotic. New TM can be big success.