• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
If you've noticed when playing some PS4 games you'll get a notification that says something along the lines of "you may encounter unexpected shit happening" and this always appears on the PS2 games I've noticed. I tried most things when I got my PS5 and all my PS2 games worked no problem, great. Fast forward to last week I got some hankering for some ape catchin', boot up Ape Escape 2 only to discover severe, as in most of the screen fucking up, graphical glitches.

8ZMLaxZ.jpeg

This has me worried because I don't exactly trust Sony to patch these problems out. My only hope I guess is that a firmware update will unfuck whatever has been fucked.

Sony still sells this on their store btw.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this has been known since launch and Sony has neglected the issues just as they neglect that they started selling PS2 gsmes on PS4.

Some games run way better though from what i read, like Jak X.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its unfortunately been an issue since the PS5 released and I've seen 0 feedback from Sony suggesting they'll ever fix it (they never fixed SOTC texture issues on the PS5 either, or Dead Nation crashing making it impossible to complete on PS5 - and those are from Sony owned studios as well).

Basically, I dont expect them to fix it. I think its pretty shitty that Sony first party/exclusive games have these issues...

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I still have Wild Arms 3 and Star Ocean 3 to play. Hope I don't have to hook my PS4 back up to play them. I was hoping to keep my PS4 on its current firmware in case I decided to jailbreak it at some point.

Edit: In case someone happens across this post from a random Google search, I played Star Ocean 3, and it worked mostly fine on PS5. The only issue I noticed is that in some indoor areas, like Sphere Company, there would be random triangles in the floor that would flicker. Can see the issue here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B6Yn25Ag8U

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Make sure you change the HDR setting to "only when supported". I've read forcing HDR on everything can cause glitches, and besides that turning off HDR made older games simply look better in my opinion.

Not sure it'll fix your specific issues OP, but worth a shot.

OP
OP
Katmeister

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
Make sure you change the HDR setting to "only when supported". I've read forcing HDR on everything can cause glitches, and besides that turning off HDR made older games simply look better in my opinion.

Not sure it'll fix your specific issues OP, but worth a shot.

My TV isn't 4K so HDR is off by default, so it's not that. I appreciate the suggestion though.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Its unfortunately been an issue since the PS5 released and I've seen 0 feedback from Sony suggesting they'll ever fix it (they never fixed SOTC texture issues on the PS5 either, or Dead Nation crashing making it impossible to complete on PS5 - and those are from Sony owned studios as well).

Basically, I dont expect them to fix it. I think its pretty shitty that Sony first party/exclusive games have these issues...
Yeah, it's pathetic especially for SoTC since BluePoint is a first party studio now, while for Dead Nation the porting was made by an external studio (Climax Studios), so Housemarque doesn't really have access on that version anyway.

Btw Dead Nation on PS4 can still be completed, you have to quit (or let the game crash) at the end of the mission and when you load the game again you will continue to the next mission. The major issue with this method is that you won't upload the record of the mission to the leaderboard at the end of the level, but the progress will be saved.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Once they sold you the game, Sony's support is over. They got your money, not being able to play what you bought it's not their problem.
Ask Jesus to help, it's probably more effective than asking Sony.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's pathetic especially for SoTC since BluePoint is a first party studio now, while for Dead Nation the porting was made by an external studio (Climax Studios), so Housemarque doesn't really have access on that version anyway.

Btw Dead Nation on PS4 can still be completed, you have to quit (or let the game crash) at the end of the mission and when you load the game again you will continue to the next mission. The major issue with this method is that you won't upload the record of the mission to the leaderboard at the end of the level, but the progress will be saved.
Yeah, the BP thing annoys me as in theory having the game patched to run at 60FPS/4K would be amazing, but we dont even get a texture fix ;( Im not hopeful for one either, which is why my SOTC disc is still in my PS4 Pro lol.

Good news on Dead Nation though. Its not a great solution, but at least its playable from beginning to end at least. Though I'll still stick to my PS4 to play it.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017

ffs :( I held off playing SOTC on PS4 because I wanted to play it a 60 fps... is it that bad?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Yeah, the BP thing annoys me as in theory having the game patched to run at 60FPS/4K would be amazing, but we dont even get a texture fix ;( Im not hopeful for one either, which is why my SOTC disc is still in my PS4 Pro lol.

Good news on Dead Nation though. Its not a great solution, but at least its playable from beginning to end at least. Though I'll still stick to my PS4 to play it.
Yeah, so many reasons to not let the PS4 (Pro) go, especially for those niche experience that are not compatible with PS5 (see P.T. and The Last Guardian VR).

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ffs :( I held off playing SOTC on PS4 because I wanted to play it a 60 fps... is it that bad?
Depends. I noticed it, some dont. Best to do a Youtube search to see the extent of the texture issues on the PS5 and make the choice for yourself.

Yeah, so many reasons to not let the PS4 (Pro) go, especially for those niche experience that are not compatible with PS5 (see P.T. and The Last Guardian VR).
Yeah, I managed to resurrect PT on my console thanks to the proxy trick so that's my Halloween sorted! Thankfully I dont own too many games on the PS4 that dont work properly on the PS5 but there's just enough to leave my Pro plugged in for the foreseeable future.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I played and Plat'd Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy on PS5 and thankfully both games ran fine.
Would have bought Ape Escape 2 but it's the English only version in Europe, sadly.

Last edited:

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Don't think this'll ever really get fixed. PlayStation's pretty much dropped their PS2-on-PS4(/5) initiative and unless this Spartacus stuff is true, I don't think they're going back to it.

Oct 26, 2017
Saudi Arabia
I still keep my PS4 hooked solely for PS2 games. Shame they didn't work perfectly on PS5.

Even for "working" games, my friend encounter a weird glitch in Dark Cloud that locked him from completing the game.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Sony still sells this on their store btw.

To be fair they don't sell this or any other PS4 games which have compatibility issues with PS5 BC directly on the PS5 store. You can only buy them from a PS4 or the web/mobile stores (where there is a warning of BC incompatibility).

I still update https://andshrew.github.io/supreme-enigma/ which tracks the PS5 BC compatibility status for all PS4 games, and there are occasionally still games in the bootable category which get updated to make them fully compatible. I think the last Sony game to get fixed was Little Big Planet 3. The Shadow of the Colossus texture issue often gets bought up but it isn't even recognised as being a game with BC issues according to Sony's own data.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Ape Escape is one of those hundred or several hundred games that give a warning when playing and actually is not on the PS store when on PS5. This isn't a PS2 issue this is a BC issue. Assassins Creed Syndicate for example also has this issue.

If you don't own it you will not be able to purchase it on the PS5. You will only see the PS Now version. On the web store you will see it but it will have a warning saying that you may have issues playing it on PS5.

OP
OP
Katmeister

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
Pretty sure Ape Escape is one of those hundred or several hundred games that give a warning when playing and actually is not on the PS store when on PS5. This isn't a PS2 issue this is a BC issue. Assassins Creed Syndicate for example also has this issue.

If you don't own it you will not be able to purchase it on the PS5. You will only see the PS Now version. On the web store you will see it but it will have a warning saying that you may have issues playing it on PS5.

If you read my post I said you get that warning on some PS4 games. lol
I also didn't say it was just a PS2 issue.

Had no idea you couldn't purchase the game on PS5 store, I searched it and it appeared in the store so that's why I thought it was still for sale. Which it is just not on the PS5 store.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
How are Resident Evil Code Veronica X and the GTA games (PS2 Classics, not the Definitive Edition)?

logash

Oct 27, 2017
If you read my post I said you get that warning on some PS4 games. lol
I also didn't say it was just a PS2 issue.

Had no idea you couldn't purchase the game on PS5 store, I searched it and it appeared in the store so that's why I thought it was still for sale. Which it is just not on the PS5 store.
It's an easy mistake to make since if you own it you will see it. The library and the store are so integrated that its hard to tell on PS.

Just to be clear, I'm not defending Sony or anything. Last year I started a mission to platinum every assassins creed game and I hit a brick wall when I got to syndicate. I was SoL cause I already got rid of my PS4 pro. I naively check to see if they improve BC after every firmware update lol. Probably just gonna play it on my Series X.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are Resident Evil Code Veronica X and the GTA games (PS2 Classics, not the Definitive Edition)?
The GTA games were awful on the PS4 so cant imagine its any better on PS5... they had some awful frame pacing so everything was even more of a juddery mess than it was on the original console releases.

OP
OP
Katmeister

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
It's an easy mistake to make since if you own it you will see it. The library and the store are so integrated that its hard to tell on PS.

Oh yeah I opened the store up on my PS5 and literally searched for it there and found it. I didn't just go to my library page so I thought it was actually listed on the store.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played any on the PS5, but I purchased and played Wild ARMS 3 on my PS4 and had an issue at the beginning of the game. In the first dungeon one of the chests was suspended up in the air and unreachable.

OP
OP
Katmeister

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
Though I'd update since the latest firmware update has been launched I tested Ape Escape 2. They fixed the graphical glitches... and introduced new one. Now it's mainly the UI bugs.

The stability giveth and the stability taketh away.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
If you have a jailbroken PS4 (FW 9.0) you can port your games with many fixes available by modding community, some fixes make games look like HD remasters even

Cana

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 27, 2021
They have a lotta graphical bugs on PS4 as well. Two player Destroy All Humans (while in the ship) produces a bug that ought to give someone a seizure