Some random person is walking next to you at the same speed as you. Now what?

• Speed up

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • Slow down

Votes: 183 36.0%
  • Keep walking at the same speed

Votes: 62 12.2%
  • Strike up a conversation with the stranger

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • CHAOS

Votes: 142 28.0%

• Total voters

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Imagine you're taking a leisurely stroll downtown. You turn the corner and suddenly end up next to some random person who walks at the exact same speed as you do. How awkward!

Now, what are you going to do to get out of this situation?

wvan13

Oct 25, 2017
I slow down until they're very clearly past me then I continue on at a slower pace. I do this same thing if I "feel" someone walking behind me.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Speed up, because I'm not going to get stuck behind them so I'll speed off as best I can.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Create distance using any plausible excuse. My usual go to is just pretending I've got a notification on your phone to pause a bit

Not gonna be speeding up though, that's just weird....or me being too lazy to race random strangers lol

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
If somebody's walking at my normal walking speed, they're tall and so out of respect for their spine and heart I'll keep walking at the same speed

OP
OP
retroman

retroman

Oct 31, 2017

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
We lock eyes and I imagine how I'm going to fight this predator off. Lots of people know martial arts these days so I'd assume he'd know BJJ or kickboxing or karate. How experienced? Idk that's hard to say as I observe his posture and make an educated guess. There is now no escape for either of us, the combat has begun.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I walk pretty damn fast, even on leisurely strolls, so if someone is randomly walking as fast as I am and I notice, they're going to notice too.

Which means we got a conversation starter and I have a walking buddy until one of us gets to where we need to be. Just like a driving buddy on road trips.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
I feel seen OP, glad to know it's not just me that finds this awkward. Usually I try to increase my pace but if they catch up again I just take out the good old phone and grow some distance.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I'll generally slow down a bit, check my phone and stop for a few seconds unless I'm in a rush. I don't like walking a few paces ahead or behind people, so a slight speed up/slow down to me is as uncomfortable as walking together with a stranger. If I have somewhere to be or I'm in a rush I'll just keep walking alongside them and ignore them.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
I walk about twice as fast as most people so if they are matching speed they are probably exercising or running late. Either way that's got nothing to do with so I keep in trucking. If I turn a corner or break line of site I'm jet boosting the fuck outta there

Dec 11, 2019
I'm usually walking at top speed anyway, so my options are limited. I would probably try walking at the same speed, just to see if the other person adjusts their stride.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I generally walk really fast, so slowing down is the only option that feels viable.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Extra issue - you find a plausible reason to slow down only to catch up with them at the crossing.
Can you convincingly slow down again without it seeming like you're following them?

OP
OP
retroman

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Extra issue - you find a plausible reason to slow down only to catch up with them at the crossing.
Can you convincingly slow down again without it seeming like you're following them?
Yeah, that's a tough one.

Here's another annoying situation: you increase your pace and overtake the person, only to come to a halt at a zebra crossing due to a red light. In the meantime, the person catches up with you so the whole process has to start over again. Madness.

Jul 4, 2018
tumblr_pcfwftJ5Kp1rvqdnso1_400.gifv

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
The answer should be obvious. You stop and immediately bend down to tie your shoes, narrowly avoiding the sword that would've cut off your head.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Probably just turn my head and stare until they leave my personal space or ask if I can help them with something in an annoyed tone. Unless it was like NYC or something. That's just due to human traffic.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Depending on the speed, if we're moving at a slow pace, I'll speed up, if we're moving at a faster pace I'll slow down.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I find it way more awkward when I'm trying to overtake someone and they're walking only like 0.000001mph slower than me so it takes forever lmao. JUST LET ME PAST.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
In summer I'd slow down, because I'm not gonna sweat even more than I already am because of some random dude.

In winter I'd speed up to see who's faster.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Slow down and then do a barrel roll

If the person tries to copy me , kick them in their attempt of the barrel roll ...and

CHAOS