• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hey there.

Back in the day, there was this game called "Fortnite", which was a co-op game which was a sort of Hero defense. I bought it near release, but bounced of pretty quickly because I thought even the early stages took too long. I think I only beat 3 or 4 stages and it already bored me. It didn't help that after one day of playing I was on vacation and my friends continued without me, so when I came back I was at stage 2 and they were at like stage 20 or something.

Anyway, I ignored the game for the time being and somewhat regretted buying it.

Some time later, Fortnite added their Battle Royale mode and became free to play. It was apparently pretty good, I gave it another go with friends, but I am not the biggest PvP player anyways and also realized that Battle Royale games just aren't for me. So I ignored the game again.

Which brings me to today...

I actually have no idea what exactly "Fortnite" IS nowdays.
I know that the Save the World co-op mode still exists but I assume it was abandoned in favor of the Battle Royale mode.
I know that the Battle Royale mode is still their main mode. But the game also has all these cross media promotions and adds new characters which makes said Battle Royale mode completely wild? Balance adieu? Or is there a "normal" Battle Royale mode and the one where everything goes? Being able to just fly with Son Goku when other people are on the ground building sounds completely broken?
I also know Fortnite added some other modes, like the current Rockband Festival which seems to be a Rythm Game akin to Guitar hero and the Lego Minecraft mode.
I also know Fortnite added a sort of "World Editor", I would compare to something like Little Big Planet or Dreams, because I saw videos of people making Co-Op bosses inside Fortnite.

However, even with all that in mind, I still don't know what that "game" exactly is nowadays. Is it still a battle royale game with other stuff just tacked onto, like the original Save the World mode? So basically something like Warcraft 3 custom maps vs. normal Ladde games? Or is it something completely different nowdays?

Someone explain, I am old and while I will probably never play it again, I would like to understand what the cool kids play nowdays.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
It's a platform, with various experiences built into it like Battle Royale, Rocket Racing, Festival, and countless others that people create.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Fortnite is basically a meta-game that has multiple games within it. It's a platform unto its own, really.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I know that the Battle Royale mode is still their main mode. But the game also has all these cross media promotions and adds new characters which makes said Battle Royale mode completely wild? Balance adieu? Or is there a "normal" Battle Royale mode and the one where everything goes? Being able to just fly with Son Goku when other people are on the ground building sounds completely broken?
Skins are cosmetic only. They're constantly updating the game with new weapons and items, and that frequently involves the collaboration IPs but anyone can use them. Right now The Last Airbender collab is running so all types of bending are in the game but they're not locked to the Avatar skins.

Oct 25, 2017
WC 3 maps are a decent comparison, but if blizzard were also making unhinged crossovers in the regular game at the same time

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Hey there.

Back in the day, there was this game called "Fortnite", which was a co-op game which was a sort of Hero defense. I bought it near release, but bounced of pretty quickly because I thought even the early stages took too long. I think I only beat 3 or 4 stages and it already bored me. It didn't help that after one day of playing I was on vacation and my friends continued without me, so when I came back I was at stage 2 and they were at like stage 20 or something.

Anyway, I ignored the game for the time being and somewhat regretted buying it.

Some time later, Fortnite added their Battle Royale mode and became free to play. It was apparently pretty good, I gave it another go with friends, but I am not the biggest PvP player anyways and also realized that Battle Royale games just aren't for me. So I ignored the game again.

Which brings me to today...

I actually have no idea what exactly "Fortnite" IS nowdays.
I know that the Save the World co-op mode still exists but I assume it was abandoned in favor of the Battle Royale mode.
I also know Fortnite added some other modes, like the current Rockband Festival which seems to be a Rythm Game akin to Guitar hero and the Lego Minecraft mode.
I also know Fortnite added a sort of "World Editor", I would compare to something like Little Big Planet or Dreams, because I saw videos of people making Co-Op bosses inside Fortnite.

However, even with all that in mind, I still don't know what that "game" exactly is nowadays. Is it still a battle royale game with other stuff just tacked onto, like the original Save the World mode? So basically something like Warcraft 3 custom maps vs. normal Ladde games? Or is it something completely different nowdays?

Someone explain, I am old and while I will probably never play it again, I would like to understand what the cool kids play nowdays.
Fortnite is the Gold Saucer and the games/experiences inside it are all the minigames.

I never played Fortnite lol.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Save the World, the horde mode base defense game, is actually good and still going. I played the hell out of that. I also prefered Battle Royal when it released and had less going on, but it's still quite impressive what they've grown the game into.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's a platform. There are games made by Epic/their devs (Battle Royale, Rock Band etc.) and Creative, a engine where players can create games they want and publish for everyone

The special powers come and go depending on events and they aren't locked to skins, anyone can use them. Right now you can use Avatar bendings and they are much better than regular guns

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
I really don't see it as a videogame anymore, it's something more similar to a social app, where kids can show off with cosmetics and such. That being said, I think I played it twice in my life and I'm an old fart, so I might be extremely off :V

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
Being able to just fly with Son Goku when other people are on the ground building sounds completely broken?
Goku can't fly. During Dragon Ball stuff there is a Flying Nimbus item that launches you into the air and let's you glide back down, though. Anyone can use it.

OP
OP
Sölf

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The Roblox comparison doesn't help me, I never played that or know anyone who has. I only know youtube videos which make the game look like exploitation hell because of the Robucks... xD

Does the Battle Pass still only work mainly in the Battle Royale mode? Or could I earn everything by just playing the Rockband mode for example?

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
So.

The mode you played, the original is called Save the World. Originally that mode received Seasonal updates the same time as the free to play Battle Royale but that ended around Season 8. They added a few levels and modes but nothing substantial and it's almost a dead game, despite them charging you for it to this day. A couple years ago they allowed you to use your BR skins in that mode and since then they now give the game away with paid bundles with skins and quests.

BR added some limited time modes that were more casual friendly like 50 v 50, a "floor is lava" mode (which is super fun) and the most popular at the time Team Rumbles - which is essentially a team deathmatch game on the map with respawning. That mode eventually became permanent. BR went on for a couple years until season 10/X when it redid the map and called itself Chapter 2 season 1. Since then they will refresh the map and gameplay every year or so and call it the next Chapter. Since you've played they've added quite a bit - vehicles like cars and motorcycles and hoverboards, the ability to sprint, slide, mantle. They added a Zero Build mode a year or so ago that was so popular it also became permanent and is much more casual friendly.

Somewhere in chapter 1 they added their own create a level mode called…Creative. It was huge. To the point that now you see creative maps on the front page. Many of the most popular modes are doing similar things that Roblox does such as mini sim/tycoon games and "death run/parkour" maps.

All of this was when the joke about "Fortnite becoming Roblox" started.

A few months ago they announced, like due to how Creative continues to be incredibly popular among younger players, that they were adding new modes and they referred to Fortnite as a Platform now. When this happened they added LEGO Fortnite, Fortnite Festival (a music mode made by Harmonix that's basically Fortnite Rock Band), and Rocket Racing (a racing game using Rocket League cars and your Fortnite skins as the drivers).

So now Fortnite is a big platform. The days of the PVE mode that was announced when the game was announced is long sitting lingering with its only acknowledgement being the paid bundles that pop up in the shop every few months with a new skin. The Battle Royale mode is still massive and has changed quite a bit to be more dynamic and it's constantly updated still. And now because of the new modes you can buy LEGO sets and real music tracks like The Weeknd and Nine Inch Nails and Lady Gaga and Green Day in the item shop alongside allllll the skins and collab skins.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Does the Battle Pass still only work mainly in the Battle Royale mode? Or could I earn everything by just playing the Rockband mode for example?
You can earn battle pass exp in any of the modes, but it'll be harder to max it out if you're not playing BR. Exp earned in Festival (Rock Band) is just a flat amount every 15-30 minutes and it has a daily cap.

Risitas

May 13, 2022
It's a BR but you can shoot the AI to get better weapons

But it's also Roblox 2 outside of the BR

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yeah everything people are describing made me reach this conclusion

Roblox for older kids. Roblox Shippuuden. Anything along these lines
Not really because Roblox is unmoderated, unpolished and a free for all in terms of content. They also don't got teams like Harmonix and LEGO developing for it

The Roblox comparison doesn't help me, I never played that or know anyone who has. I only know youtube videos which make the game look like exploitation hell because of the Robucks... xD

I did 95% of the current pass in Rock Band and LEGO

Bengraven