• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
BR with building , there's a BR no build mode, there's a Lego mode, there's a rock band mode, there's a racing mode and don't even get started on the creative side of things.I wouldn't be surprised if they built a movie theater where you can rent movies with v-bucks and invite your friends . We are almost at the point where Fortnite will be whatever you want it to be.

Sep 29, 2019
It's become its own "Roblox" thing. It's a game hub with many other games inside it built utilizing the game's simplified engine/tools, pretty much. There's the official modes, like STW and BR, the other experiences, like LEGO and the racing thing, and there's the user-made experiences. It's actually pretty smart and fun.

Oct 30, 2017
i am old but fortnite zero build is a super fun BR shooter that just happens to have basically the entirety of pop culture as playable characters. what more do you need!

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
For 99% of people 99% of the time it's "just" a BR shooter with a lot of skins and events from other IPs.

The rest is imo highly exaggerated to make it this everything game.

Edit: Admittedly I haven't been keeping up with the game for months, so if the custom modes got a lot more popular and higher quality, I could be off base. All of that felt very perfunctory and unpopular based on waiting times when I was still actively playing.

Last edited:

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
It helps that those games are popular for idling for battle pass rewards.

I'm just salty that my preferred gamemode 'rocket racing' has me waiting minutes for races on occasion.

This might just be me but I think they nerfed the Lego idle xp a month or so ago. I used to let the game sit there overnight and come back to 25 *s but now it just kicks me with maybe 5 stars if that.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
For 99% of people 99% of the time it's "just" a BR shooter with a lot of skins and events from other IPs.

The rest is imo highly exaggerated to make it this everything game.

Edit: Admittedly I haven't been keeping up with the game for months, so if the custom modes got a lot more popular and higher quality, I could be off base. All of that felt very perfunctory and unpopular based on waiting times when I was still actively playing.
I don't know about Rocket Racing but the other modes are very popular and high quality. Rock Band is adding 8 songs every week

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
i am old but fortnite zero build is a super fun BR shooter that just happens to have basically the entirety of pop culture as playable characters. what more do you need!

I'm old too. If you told me I'd have a fun and constantly evolving shooter game when I was a teenager in the 90s, I'd already be down.

But if you told me I'd also get to play Spider-man and Gambit and Rogue and a Ghostbuster, while dancing to CREAM or Jump Around, I'd be so confused but not ready to wait 20 years for it to happen.

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
This might just be me but I think they nerfed the Lego idle xp a month or so ago. I used to let the game sit there overnight and come back to 25 *s but now it just kicks me with maybe 5 stars if that.

They added some basic idle prevention stuff so it auto kicks you if you aren't moving. You can use rubber bands on a controller or a 'bounce house' in sandbox mode to still gain 5 levels per day.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP, if you have Founder status then not only is your account worth a lot but you also likely have an unused friend code that is worth a lot. Just fyi!

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
It's a billboard

How so? My account is also founder but I just kinda don't care for the game

Most of the value come from the Save the World mode (part of the initial concept for Fortnite which is PvE) where some of the daily missions award V-Bucks. Which adds up to a LOT over time (around 5K v-bucks a year if you play religiously).

Edit: for that mode you also get exclusive skins that won't ever be available again so you get the extra cachet. Such a shame Epic abandoned that game mode because with a coat of fresh paint and some streamlined UX it's an absolute addictive riot and I'm sinking way too much time in it. The odd part is that everyone still playing this at high level is clearly a heavy spender with the latest skins as soon as they release as well but I can see why they'd struggle to monetize it as easily as BR. It's also the game mode where I've met some of the nicest and most wholesome people I've ever played with online, similar to Helldivers.

So yes a friend code is very valuable and you should hit me up with it in my DMs, please like, and subscribe and I'll see you guys in the next one without further ado, fade to unlicensed music resembling famous popular track on top of after effects motion graphics fuck yeah.

—————

Edit 2: lots of posts nailed it Fortnite at this point is very much a platform indeed (Roblox or PK XD) where the core experiences provided by Epic mainly revolve around:
- battle royale modes
- festival (music)
- rocket racing
- possibly FPS Overwatch competitor down the road

But you can access a ton of community-made, sometimes very creative experiments including tycoons or farming or murder mysteries the same way you'd be browsing Netflix shows. It's genuinely impressive how creative people can be and how this leads to small profitable studios existing entirely within that platform (you get a paid based on user engagement on your content).

I've made a radical 180 on my opinion of this game over the past two-three years once they started moving away from the heavily skill-based OG mode (building at light speed is brutal skill threshold) and very much defend the game as best in business when it comes to running a successful live ops / GaaS, so much so That it has become a mystery to see studios fail to literally copy paste much of that winning formula. It gets a ton of - partially justified (lawsuits) - hate for its approach to marketing and psychological trickery of peer pressure and FOMO (the South Park view towards exploitative free games) towards younger audiences but there's an infinite amount of fun to be had on something that can remain entirely free as long as you don't get hooked on vanity items.

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a billboard

How so? My account is also founder but I just kinda don't care for the game
You'd have to sell your account(or extra code) through illegitimate means, of course, but as Founder's codes are always drying up, the codes and accounts are fetching higher and higher prices as time moves forward. A quick look-up on ebay and I see a Founder's code going for over $400. So even if you didn't want to sell the account itself you could check to see if you still had the friend referral code for Founder's status.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the value come from the Save the World mode (part of the initial concept for Fortnite which is PvE) where some of the daily missions award V-Bucks. Which adds up to a LOT over time (around 5K v-bucks a year if you play religiously).
5,000 a year? Lol, you clear 2,400 a month from the lowest daily value alone.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded it for my kid the other day and was overwhelmed with the terrible way things are able to be selected. It's just box after box of shit. Needs an overhaul.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Due to Founder's status and doing all the v-bucks missions I get I'm basically always sitting at around 20k v-bucks in my account, and I average buying maybe a skin or two each month.. it's pretty great.
I downloaded it for my kid the other day and was overwhelmed with the terrible way things are able to be selected. It's just box after box of shit. Needs an overhaul.
Yeah... for such a massive game that perpetually generates insane revenue they are somehow always making the UI worse and worse lol

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Founders I believe can gain v-bucks from save the world challenges, so in theory they don't have to pay additional money for most of the game's content.
Ah that makes sense. Yeah I think I'm gonna be looking to sell off then lol. I've never really been into anything but the STW side which I've not touched in a very long time

You'd have to sell your account(or extra code) through illegitimate means, of course, but as Founder's codes are always drying up, the codes and accounts are fetching higher and higher prices as time moves forward. A quick look-up on ebay and I see a Founder's code going for over $400. So even if you didn't want to sell the account itself you could check to see if you still had the friend referral code for Founder's status.
Oh fair enough. Yeah I'll probably look into selling then. How would I check for the friend referral code? I'll be honest it's been so long since I've touched the account that I wouldn't really know where to begin looking

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Due to Founder's status and doing all the v-bucks missions I get I'm basically always sitting at around 20k v-bucks in my account, and I average buying maybe a skin or two each month.. it's pretty great.

Yeah... for such a massive game that perpetually generates insane revenue they are somehow always making the UI worse and worse lol
It's like CoD. I'm just like "how are we here? How is this barfy menu the best we can do?"

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fair enough. Yeah I'll probably look into selling then. How would I check for the friend referral code? I'll be honest it's been so long since I've touched the account that I wouldn't really know where to begin looking
UHcFtuJ.png
Launch Fortnite and go into "Save the World" (it can now be found in the "By Epic" playlist section). By pressing start in the menus or during a match you should see these options and I believe there would be a section in here about Friend Codes if you still had one.
It's like CoD. I'm just like "how are we here? How is this barfy menu the best we can do?"
At least with FN it's totally a content-glut problem. Countless gametypes and user-made maps and they really haven't figured out how best to make it all easily accessible from a navigation perspective. Most people just want to load up Fortnite and jump into Battle Royale, but on our way there we're forced to look at an ocean of gametypes we'll never touch. Is that the same problem with CoD menus or are they just badly designed?

PatAndTheCat

Apr 1, 2024
Hey there.

Back in the day, there was this game called "Fortnite", which was a co-op game which was a sort of Hero defense. I bought it near release, but bounced of pretty quickly because I thought even the early stages took too long. I think I only beat 3 or 4 stages and it already bored me. It didn't help that after one day of playing I was on vacation and my friends continued without me, so when I came back I was at stage 2 and they were at like stage 20 or something.

Anyway, I ignored the game for the time being and somewhat regretted buying it.

Some time later, Fortnite added their Battle Royale mode and became free to play. It was apparently pretty good, I gave it another go with friends, but I am not the biggest PvP player anyways and also realized that Battle Royale games just aren't for me. So I ignored the game again.

Which brings me to today...

I actually have no idea what exactly "Fortnite" IS nowdays.
I know that the Save the World co-op mode still exists but I assume it was abandoned in favor of the Battle Royale mode.
I know that the Battle Royale mode is still their main mode. But the game also has all these cross media promotions and adds new characters which makes said Battle Royale mode completely wild? Balance adieu? Or is there a "normal" Battle Royale mode and the one where everything goes? Being able to just fly with Son Goku when other people are on the ground building sounds completely broken?
I also know Fortnite added some other modes, like the current Rockband Festival which seems to be a Rythm Game akin to Guitar hero and the Lego Minecraft mode.
I also know Fortnite added a sort of "World Editor", I would compare to something like Little Big Planet or Dreams, because I saw videos of people making Co-Op bosses inside Fortnite.

However, even with all that in mind, I still don't know what that "game" exactly is nowadays. Is it still a battle royale game with other stuff just tacked onto, like the original Save the World mode? So basically something like Warcraft 3 custom maps vs. normal Ladde games? Or is it something completely different nowdays?

Someone explain, I am old and while I will probably never play it again, I would like to understand what the cool kids play nowdays.
Download and try it? It's free and the best game released this generation

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
At least with FN it's totally a content-glut problem. Countless gametypes and user-made maps and they really haven't figured out how best to make it all easily accessible from a navigation perspective. Most people just want to load up Fortnite and jump into Battle Royale, but on our way there we're forced to look at an ocean of gametypes we'll never touch. Is that the same problem with CoD menus or are they just badly designed?
It's not quite as bad in Cod (last I checked) but it is this rotation of modes and weirdly navigated pages instead of a simple menu which could then bust out into different modes you choose from. Yeah this is flashier...but it's a mess. And I get this weird fatigue just trying to suss out what is what as someone trying to find stuff that isn't battle royale for my kid.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm old too. If you told me I'd have a fun and constantly evolving shooter game when I was a teenager in the 90s, I'd already be down.

But if you told me I'd also get to play Spider-man and Gambit and Rogue and a Ghostbuster, while dancing to CREAM or Jump Around, I'd be so confused but not ready to wait 20 years for it to happen.

exactly! it's "everyone is here" quake 3 arena on a map the size of san andreas. imagine hating that

oty

Feb 28, 2023
i once shit on fortnite because it was "cool and edgy", but for real? that game deserves praise rofl

its insane what they did with it

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Now that Fortnite has all of these modes and features…how big is the install size?! Do all of those modes run on Switch and phones too?

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Well it depends on the season (previous one was about 100+ a day, now around 30-50). . But you are correct I miscalculated by a large margin by using the wrong "last year" data…
Oh, you were talking about the additional missions that sometimes pop up each day. The 25-40 depending on region. Yeah, that's all on top of the guaranteed 80 vbucks a day.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Something I've always wondered is how that is handled. Is it like unlimited access to IPs forever? Will content eventually have to be taken out of the game?
I might me misremembering but I saw a quote from Sweeney a few months ago, talking about how some highly coveted skins never comeback to the shop, and he said something like: "if it was up to us, the skins would comeback to the shop more regularly" or something like that.
So, I'm assuming that once the player owns the skin, doesn't matter the IP, it's theirs forever. BUT, everytime Epic wants to bring the skin to the shop again, they might have to re-negociate with the IP owner.
But maybe I'm just making up shit, Idk...

Jun 10, 2018
It's best to think of Fortnite as less of "a game with social platform elements" and more so as "a social platform with gaming elements".

Or, as others put it: it's proto-virtual reality.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Goku can't fly. During Dragon Ball stuff there is a Flying Nimbus item that launches you into the air and let's you glide back down, though. Anyone can use it.
Something they frustratingly refuse to sell again because people complained about it is the Nimbus glider. Yes, it was both a glider and an in game item so people lost their shit over it as if it makes a real difference. See someone on a cloud? SHOOT AT THEM. It was pretty easy to deal with.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
It's a dynamic platform that offers brands a way to connect with young consumers in new and exciting ways.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It's a toxic kindergarten game not even worth investing money in. sadly I got too implicated in it and I can't quit.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it's really got that FOMO going for it.
And then a new Deadpool movie comes with Wolverine in it and they can't re-release their skin because of this and thus miss getting more money because there's another 10M new players since the last time they appeared, haha.
Nah of course they'll make new version of those skins.

Bengraven