• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
suJk3J.png

tumblr_nha5qajoTE1rheqrmo1_500.jpg

/s
It's ok-ish, I don't mind this much

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_nkmyz2nSav1tbue3fo1_500.gif

Hard to believe this is dynamic gameplay from a PS2 game, god damn

Jesus he looks like a mannequin.

BxqAESl.gif

Lmao his face and that fucking colossi has no animation in his arm/head.

Yeah it wasn't at all great but it was also a PS2 game. This is straight up unsettling. Plus they clearly made his face a certain way originally where in the remake its just as indistinct as it gets.
Yikes. Is the running animation always this stiff or is it just selective gif posting going on here? Judging by the gifs they've clearly had more focus on the surface of the graphics than the motion in this version.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Saw it briefly in the DF analysis a week or so ago and repulsed. Glad I wasn't the only one to notice.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. Is the running animation always this stiff or is it just selective gif posting going on here? Judging by the gifs they've clearly had more focus on the surface of the graphics than the motion in this version.

Super, super, super selective gif posting there.

The game looks phenomenal. The face is a bit off at times but it's a really minor quibble.

Wow and this game has gotten so much praise, I wonder why

Because it's great and most people don't give a shit about this minor rivet-counting stuff that you'd only notice if you're looking for it.

Oct 27, 2017
The animation ingame is excellent. Go and watch one of the countless review videos and see for yourself.

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine this kinda thing won't faze me at all during gameplay.

I can see it sticking out for cutscenes, but, I guarantee I wouldn't notice it in the gif you posted if you hadn't pointed it out.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_nkmyz2nSav1tbue3fo1_500.gif

Hard to believe this is dynamic gameplay from a PS2 game, god damn
Jesus he looks like a mannequin.

BxqAESl.gif

Lmao his face and that fucking colossi has no animation in his arm/head.

Yeah it wasn't at all great but it was also a PS2 game. This is straight up unsettling. Plus they clearly made his face a certain way originally where in the remake its just as indistinct as it gets.
Horrendous, This can't be from the final build... It's like they forgot to add in the proper face or something...
Why change the character so much when it was a great design before.
I don't understand why they would change the design so much when it was good before, a game of this importance deserved better. Really sad to see because i loved him as a character.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Wow and this game has gotten so much praise, I wonder why
Well, messed-up Wander face or not, this is still SotC running on modern hardware. It's deserving of high praise by default, being one of the best games ever made and all.

This little detail is likely to only bother obsessive fans of the original like myself.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
lol some of you are being silly with serious hyperbole

Yes, I do somewhat see what the OP is saying, but it's nowhere near a 100% dealbreaker. That's ridiculous.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
More than their revised, more "realistic" Wander (his body proportions are also more human-like and less exaggerated than before), it's the absolute vacant expression he has in-game that irks me. There's just something wrong with his idle face animation, he looks like mannequin with no life inside. And then there's him seemingly missing animation in the heat of the action. In the PS2 game you can see Wander has more labored expression in his face when you're running. His eyes widen slightly and his mouth opens to signify exertion. It's not much, but it's something. On PS4 it's the same blank face.

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
ps3 version for me, still. For shame Bluepoint, if you lack any decent character animators/modelers then get some, geez.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But they added coins and the face looks different!

I've never seen fans as pendantic as TeamICO fans. Truly bewildering to me as this is being heralded as one of the best remakes ever made yet still not enough.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.

To be fair, I think that animation is pretty much the same as the original when he is running with the sword out and he is probably far enough to not stumble and all. Dat face through

CHC

Oct 27, 2017

It's incredibly selective gif posting by a very small of group of hyper-nitpickers. I don't know how they have the energy but they do. Just watch footage of the game, watch the tech analysis videos, read the reviews. They did a damn good job with this remake.

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So the collectible coins, then Wander's face. What's next? Some people are cherry picking this game so much. Just enjoy the masterpiece, is just too good.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
More than their revised, more "realistic" Wander (his body proportions are also more human-like and less exaggerated than before), it's the absolute vacant expression he has in-game that irks me. There's just something wrong with his idle face animation, he looks like mannequin with no life inside. And then there's him seemingly missing animation in the heat of the action. In the PS2 game you can see Wander has more labored expression in his face when you're running. His eyes widen slightly and his mouth opens to signify exertion. It's not much, but it's something. On PS4 it's the same blank face.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the more manly, athletic stature and animations for Wander in this remake either, but I felt that was more nitpicky than highlighting the problems with his face. His face is legitimately distracting in how subpar it looks compared to everything else on screen in most situations.

Even if this wasn't a remake of a beloved game I'd still take issue with that face.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Styles come together for me over time. While I can see that it looks different from the original, I'm sure it'll gel.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

This is going to suck for me.

I always notice details like this.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
No, of course not. The people saying this had zero intention of purchasing the game in the first place.
Or maybe some people here love the game so much, more than almost any other game created, that they didn't want to see the main character changed so much and for the worse.
This game deserved better, it seems to have gotten great treatment everywhere else apart from his face.
I don't mind them adding small details elsewhere but changing the face so much is a very bad call.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm incredibly excited for the remake and I think it looks wonderful, but it's hard to argue his face hasn't been lost in translation.

Spoilers ahead!

Wander's face is pretty important to the thematics of the game. The base expression he wears suggest a darkness and a grim resolve (EDIT: in the gif above, it's really the eyebrows that drive this, but also the staring ahead as opposed to thoughtfully looking from side to side), kind of a broken character, even when he first arrives. Moreoever, Ueda and team went out of their way to emphasize the dynamics of his face over the course of the game, and the toll that the journey is taking on him as he descends further and further.

The new model seems to have none of that. It's just an innocent expression - really not unlike the one on the Ico cover, all jokes aside. The problem is, Ico is a VERY different character from Wander once you set the superficialities aside. That comparison is damning, and suggests that Bluepoint has missed the... well, point a bit here with his character model.

It is not game-breaking for me at all - but I do wish BP had stuck the landing on it a bit better. It's distracting in what otherwise looks to be an outstanding piece of work.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I think the real problem here is the skin shader on gameplay Wander's face. It's shiny like plastic or wax and lacks subsurface scattering. If the skin appeared softer and warmer it would look much better and more natural. The eye shaders look off too, but that is nothing new this generation... :/

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
actually agree, not a fan of how it looks. loved the original face too, what a shame. I dont think it will detract from the game for most people however, but it is an odd update.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
No, of course not. The people saying this had zero intention of purchasing the game in the first place.

I honestly feel like it's probably the opposite. If you have enough energy to make threads, pore over footage frame by frame, and create gifs for the express purpose of nitpicking every detail, the game is probably important enough to you that you're going to wind up purchasing the (very well received) remake of it, if for no other purpose than to justify that all your complaints were right....

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
But they added coins and the face looks different!

I've never seen fans as pendantic as TeamICO fans. Truly bewildering to me as this is being heralded as one of the best remakes ever made yet still not enough.
The remake is beautiful for sure but I find it misses the artistic mark in a number of areas. Wander's appearance is one of the most jarring examples but it goes beyond that with the art style and lighting not really resembling that of Team ICO. It's not just the PS2 original, The Last Guardian for instance looks radically different to this.

That being said the original game will always exist for those who want the original experience but with this being one of my favourite games the inconsistencies stand out. I'm still going to play it to death regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.