Oct 28, 2017
I am pretty buzzed right now. Not entirely drunk, but I am feeling good. Sometimes, I like to drink alone and get drunk. But I don't do it that often. I have always heard drinking alone is a sign you're an alcoholic. But I am certain I'm not. Is there anything wrong with it every once in a while?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like to calm down after work with a drink some nights. I don't see the issue with that.

Aug 30, 2020
It is definitely not a defining characteristic as I almost exclusively drink alone and I just had a >1 year gap without a drop of alcohol with no effort.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I don't know if I love the term alcoholic vs. not as a binary label. The question really should be "Is what you're doing healthy?" How often do you do this? Is it to avoid pain or responsibility? What happens if you stop doing it?

These are things we can't answer for you. However I do think if you're asking the question, you should pay attention to that question.

ashthedragon

Oct 28, 2017
If you're not having strong craving alcohol or cant control how much alcohol you drink, you're not an alcoholic

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
No, but it's probably a major factor in me eventually becoming one. Just be careful, it sneaks up on you over the years.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When it impares you life and your well above the recommended limit and you can't stop is where I define it.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Homer had a quote on the Simpsons when he quit drinking for an episode. Marge was giving him a quiz.

Marge: "Do you sometimes drink alone"

Homer: "Does the lord count?"

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds fine, OP. When you start drinking yourself to sleep, alone, and not liking the person you wake up with, that's a time to worry.

Actually, by then it's often too late.

Um, err on the side of caution.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I never ever drank alone not once since I assumed that I would just become so sad.

Two years of lockdown later and I picked up drinking from 10PM - 12 AM . Now it helps me forget how lonely things have gotten lately

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Nah i use to do that every weekend. It just depends on how much of it you do drink. A couple of beers or shots isn't going to kill you, but more might be concerning.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on why you're drinking & how much you're drinking, but for the most part, no.

If it's a few glasses every night to quiet your thoughts, maybe check in on yourself.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Lone drinking doesn't necessarily equal alcoholism - if you feel as if you need it - daily? That might be an issue. Otherwise drinking alone isn't indicative of alcoholism.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Many people have a glass or two of wine alone.

If you're getting blackout drunk alone or hiding your alcohol usage, those are warning signs
If you're not having strong craving alcohol or cant control how much alcohol you drink, you're not an alcoholic
No, but it's probably a major factor in me eventually becoming one. Just be careful, it sneaks up on you over the years.
All of these.

Is fine to drink on your own but it can lead to worse things.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once every couple of months... Yeah you aren't an alcoholic.

I used to frequently have a glass or two of whisky alone to relax. Not been doing it so much recently, just the beer with a meal 3-4 times a week

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
It's good your asking the question OP. Definitely good answers in this thread a lot of good resources out there to help if your concerned.

americanaddictioncenters.org

Am I an Alcoholic? Self-Evaluation Questionnaire

It is a common issue: People who are struggling with alcoholism often don’t recognize that there’s a problem.

www.alcohol.org

Am I an Alcoholic? Do I Have a Drinking Problem?

Learn about tests and assessments to help determine if you are an alcoholic. You ask yourself, am I an alcoholic, do I have a drinking problem, but what is considered an alcoholic and how do you know?

www.webmd.com

Is Anyone Really a ‘High-Functioning Alcoholic’?

How can you tell whether regular drinking is actually problem drinking? "High-functioning alcoholics" may not seem to need help at first. WebMD tells more.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Alcoholism is more of a reliance on alcohol rather than enjoyment of it. You drink because you need to, not cos you want to. You are fine.

Trick_GSF

Nov 2, 2017
Introverts and people that like having a few cans in their own company are not alcoholics. That stigma is such crap.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
I like drinking alone too and during in the pandemic that has increased since I dont meet my friends as much. Usually 2 soju bottles and a small can of beer is enough to help me in the good zone. All the while being on era, going on youtube and having a nice meal afterwards. Mine is mostly just to relax.

Despite that, I still manage to get my priorities done. So I think as long you know your limits and you dont "crave" it... it should be ok I guess. Although I realise I do need to limit it though, usually it's once a week , but it has increased to 2-3 times per week in a month.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
When I was still smoking weed, I preferred to light up alone after work, give my mind some time to reflect on the day.
So no OP, unless you get super shitfaced by yourself all the time this is actually pretty normal imo

We all want to enjoy our buzz in different ways, some prefer to be alone.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
An alcoholic is and addict. Addiction is defined by an unsurmountable longing for something and inability to control those urges unless it's quenched. The fact that you said it's not even something you do often clearly shows you can control the impulse and alcohol intake, so no, you're not addicted. Enjoy your beer/spirits!

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
i don't think drinking alone is inherently sad. I definitely drank more frequently than I should have during a portion of the pandemic, but even then it was more how often, not how much. I scaled it way back and now I'm more a "weekend only" guy.

That said, there's nothing like a good book, a quiet evening, and a nice glass of bourbon.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
There's certain criteria you have to meet to be considered an alcoholic, such as how negatively it impacts your life, how often you drink, tolerance, withdrawal, and so on. I'm sure you're ok.

Oct 25, 2017
If so Weekend ERA would be very disconcerting.

But alas, it's not. I live alone and once in a while enjoy a couple drinks / buzzed evening at home. As said, you are doing it because you want to, not need to, and not to any excess it seems.

(I do try to keep from doing it too frequently though as I do understand I have an addictive personality, it's really just a once in a blue moon sort of thing)

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Of course not lmao, do it if you want to. But if it comes to the point where you feel obligated to do it or you drink way too much then pump the brakes.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I did some of my best screen writing alone with a glass of gin or Scotch nightly for a couple months. It's a vibe and I love it

So no you're not an alcoholic

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Nah it doesn't but be careful OP. I started off that way but I drink way too much and it's almost exclusively alone. Just watch yourself, and take a step back if you're starting to question it. Slippery slope, to say the least.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
0ldM0rL