Drachen

May 3, 2021
It's honestly one of the best games from my childhood. I spent hundreds of hours raising chao and getting emblems with my friends over summer breaks. I know it's deeply flawed, but I can't help loving it.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't recall seeing a source, but I read something a while ago about why the voice clips in the cutscenes were broken. Supposedly the game was originally written in English, then it was translated into the Japanese, which is where they did the animations. Then they re-translated it into English and didn't account for the voice clips being different lengths, so the reactions are all still timed for the Japanese dub.

Dunno if it's true, but the game being translated into English despite already being in English to start with just feels right.
I'm not sure about the first part of your story, but the voice clips at different lengths part was indeed true.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, it tends to be looked back with rose tinted glasses because it was the only Sonic game from that 3D era that wasn't a complete dumpster fire. You can't argue that Adventure 2 gets too much shit when its sequels are Shadow & 2006: the poster children of awful franchise games

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
It doesn't get enough heat at all. It's so many peoples' first 3D sonic entry that it gets heralded for being their gateway to the series or the GCN library or whatever but playing it for the first time as an adult was just an exercise in frustration, and this is coming from someone that would go to bat for the shortcomings of Adventure 1 and Heroes. The Treasure and Shooting sections of the game are sheer downgrades from their Adventure 1 counterparts and there's even more of them than the original game. The music, aesthetics, and story do not carry the gameplay for me at all and I tried very hard to enjoy myself, but by the end of it I was just glad it was done.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
You died because you used the light speed move on the rings by pressing B

Sure, it's kind of jank it lets you do that on any ring, but all that jerky movement was explainable
If I remember correctly, the jank is actually that if you hold a direction when you press B, the game tends not to keep you on the intended track. That line of rings is supposed to swing you into the rail, but if you're holding a direction, it instead throws you underneath it and you die. You have to let go of the stick when you use it to reduce the chance of it glitching.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic needs to be as edgy as SA2 was at least most of the time don't @ me

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I actually really loved playing this game as a kid. It's kind of miserable now that I'm 15 years removed.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Chao Garden was my drug when I was a kid. Spent hundreds of hours raising those little fellas. Come on Sega, release a Chao Garden spinoff already. It baffles me they don't do that, considering how easy it would be to introduce microtransactions into that.

Although the game was one of my most played when I was younger, it was obvious K&R stages were the worst. At least Knuckles gave us Pumpkin Hill.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
One day we will get a sequel.

And it will be glorious.

Except for the shitty Sonic friends or Boost stages that Sega will inevitably throw in.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
You died because you used the light speed move on the rings by pressing B

Sure, it's kind of jank it lets you do that on any ring, but all that jerky movement was explainable

Those rings are meant to guide you onto those rails. If he had successfully done the move on the first ring, he would've matched onto the rail and started grinding automatically. Dude still needs to git gud, but the intent was sound.

Oct 30, 2017
I agree. WAY too much shit. I will still argue that it's one of the best Sonic games. I still replay it every year and it never loses its luster

Oct 26, 2018
Uhh I think you meant chao garden 2 battle. Sonic and friends were just a side mini game to get drives and animals for chaos. ( gimme a fuckin chao garden gacha sega!!!!!)

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Super fun game, but honestly without the chao garden I don't think i'd be nearly as interested

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Still one of my best memories in gaming, the ultimate definition of a flawed gem.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One day we will get a sequel.

And it will be glorious.

Except for the shitty Sonic friends or Boost stages that Sega will inevitably throw in.

Tails and Knuckles haven't been playable in a flagship Sonic game since 2006, excluding retro throwback Mania.

Free the Friends

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Escape from the city is covered in putrid shit. One cool level among awful and embarrassing levels, voice acting and story. Yall let your inner child speak with authority way too much. I get it that these are awful times to live in but nostalgia wont blissful ignorance of the past back.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Once you get good at the treasure hunting stages, they're actually pretty fun.

Never really had an issue with any as a kid - except the Rouge pyramid level with the beetle patrolling the area. That stage can fuck right off.

FantasyFreak07

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it at the time, especially the Chao Garden. I doubt it holds up nowadays. The songs are still bangers, though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Escape from the city is covered in putrid shit. One cool level among awful and embarrassing levels, voice acting and story. Yall let your inner child speak with authority way too much. I get it that these are awful times to live in but nostalgia wont blissful ignorance of the past back.

Mmm yeah love it when some internet random speaks with unwarranted self importance over swaths of folks who like a video game.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

"You like old thing I don't like? NOSTALGIA! Your opinions are invalid! Literally the only explanation for liking this thing is that you are suffering from some sort of emotional deficiency (which could never be me, especially not right now). Face reality, which I define as not liking this thing you like!"

Your post is trash and so is your attitude.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I'm split down the middle on it to this day. As a whole I enjoy it, there's some things I love, some things I can't fucking stand.

If I want to play it these days there's a mod that adds its' levels to SA1. That's like the Unleashed mod for Generations but instead of those games it's for ones I like.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Its a good game

Shit has one of the best systems of 3d sonic movement ever and they never replicated or improved on it
This is embarrassing bro. You telling on yourself

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Tails and Knuckles haven't been playable in a flagship Sonic game since 2006, excluding retro throwback Mania.

Free the Friends
Lock those slowpokes up and throw away the key I say! They are like if Mario games forced you to play certain levels as a character who can't jump or if Warner finally made a Superman game and half the time you had to play as a Clark Kent.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It's greater than the sum of its parts (and some of its parts are outstanding). It has an audacious, idiotic sincerity and selfassured confidence in everything it does that I can't help but cheer on. It believes in itself 110%, and it never doubts for a moment that any of its creative decisions or leaps in logic require or benefit from explanation.

Does anyone here know of more games with a similar vibe? Because it has an energy that I haven't gotten from any game since.

EDIT: Also, I wish more games did stuff like the "camera cuts dramatically as a typewriter slowly and ominously punches in the letters of the opponent's name" thing that precedes every boss battle.

I don't think so. There are probably some obscure indie games that have the same vibe, but they're not actually fun to play like SA2 is. I guess this also kind of applies to other 3D Sonic games (I'd say it's especially applicable to Shadow), but none of them are as good.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I bought both Adventure games the second they became available on Xbox after never having owned a Dreamcast.

It was at that moment I realised exactly why we no longer had SEGA anymore...

Both games are two of the worst games from a major studio I've ever played.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I don't count that as Sonic 2006 was missing 80% of the Sonic Adventure experience, the Chao Garden.
Well if you want another Chao garden, that's a very different question. It's most prevalent in Adventure 2 but it's not tied exclusively to the adventure sub-series. The Chao garden was also in the GBA games and even the Adventure 1 garden is different from what people think of when they talk about it (aka they just want something like the Adventure 2 version).

The sad thing is that while the idea has merit, Sega viewed the Chao garden as a gimmick to promote the Dreamcast's VMU (and later got repurposed for the Gamecube & GBA). But since that interconnectivity is a thing of the past, so is the Chao Garden.

It's a shame because it seems like an obvious companion app for any console releases. But Sega is gonna Sega and the lack of gacha potential probably makes them not even consider the mobile potential.

We're not playing the silly game where arbitrarily bad Sonic games "don't count" while other bad ones do. It was a big console release, a 3D platformer, had lots of marketing and it even a spinoff game & tv show. It was as "mainline" as you can get.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
We're not playing the silly game where arbitrarily bad Sonic games "don't count" while other bad ones do. It was a big console release, a 3D platformer, had lots of marketing and it even a spinoff game & tv show. It was as "mainline" as you can get.
Um, this has nothing to do with it "not counting". It's literally a spinoff. It wasn't developed by Sonic Team and it doesn't even take place in the same universe as the mainline series.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Uuh.. no, it's actually is a spinoff. It spawned it's own sub-series even.

And it's not because it's a console game that it turns to be a mainline title. Secret Rings and Black Knight are also spinoff, and full blown console games.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I don't think so. There are probably some obscure indie games that have the same vibe, but they're not actually fun to play like SA2 is. I guess this also kind of applies to other 3D Sonic games (I'd say it's especially applicable to Shadow), but none of them are as good.
Shadow is hilarious and wonderful in some ways, but there's just too much wrong with the gameplay side to make it work.

Sega didn't develop it, it was refashioned into a supporting product for the cartoon midway thought development, and Sega forced the devs to make it exclusively for the Wii U even though the engine they were using didn't support it. I think it's fair to exclude it.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it gets enough shit. It is the first truly bad mainline Sonic game and the series never fully recovered. Only about 1/3 of it is passable at best. I think even Heroes was a better game and even that game was pretty terrible.

Two 3D platformers came out in 2002 on the Gamecube, and SA2 won hands down.

This post is a lie and you know it.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Finetune some of the controls and stage, remake it and holy fuck it might just become a Top 5 game for me. I still have a place for it in my heart, despite all of its jankiness.
It's honestly one of the best games from my childhood. I spent hundreds of hours raising chao and getting emblems with my friends over summer breaks. I know it's deeply flawed, but I can't help loving it.
SAME! Two whole summers I spent with a friend trying to get the A emblems and raising Chao. Loved this game so much back then!

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
It gets a pretty even split of praise and shit. It's a good game with (hilarious) edgy-ness and a stupid story with 1/3 of the game being good, 1/3 being meh, and 1/3 being okay, better once you've played it a few times. So I think that fits, as much as I love the game lol.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
The music

It's got it all going on: Rock, EDM, Electronic, Jazz, Rap, and butt rock.

The opening:

tumblr_oda336BFhe1s9fn3ko1_500.gif

Follow me, Set me Free, Trust me and we will escape from the city

The ending with that theme:

Even the mech stages and the smaller treasure hunting stages are a good time:

444572b318255db36cc130a5bc8d81e96bb2e9bar1-500-415_hq.gif

We are at Pumpkin Hill, you ready?

It's the most praised 3D Sonic by far, people are INSANELY nostalgic for it, demand for a remake is high and demand for a third game is even higher. It's also heavily memed and pretty much every meme is someone reminiscing about how much they love it.

Sonic Adventure 2 gets less shit than any other 3D Sonic.

But I'm with you. I've beaten it 9 times, I was obsessed with Chao, I LOVE the stupid Knucles raps and I have probably replayed City Escape more than 500 times.

Mostly for Chao farming. But also because I love it.

NOW PUT IT ON SWITCH.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Um, this has nothing to do with it "not counting". It's literally a spinoff. It wasn't developed by Sonic Team and it doesn't even take place in the same universe as the mainline series.
Uuh.. no, it's actually is a spinoff. It spawned it's own sub-series even.

And it's not because it's a console game that it turns to be a mainline title. Secret Rings and Black Knight are also spinoff, and full blown console games.
Shadow is hilarious and wonderful in some ways, but there's just too much wrong with the gameplay side to make it work.

Sega didn't develop it, it was refashioned into a supporting product for the cartoon midway thought development, and Sega forced the devs to make it exclusively for the Wii U even though the engine they were using didn't support it. I think it's fair to exclude it.
See, this is why I prefaced that this was an entirely silly & arbitrary discussion. You have to make up silly distinctions to have a reason to discount certain games. The franchise's very roots and even the game this very thread is about is based on having concurrent Sonic games developed in the west at the same time as in Japan with the main (and only sometimes called) "Sonic Team".

Also, Sega doesn't care about the interconnected Sonic universe and neither should you

But again, this arbitrary discussion has nothing to do with the roots of the discussion: the idea that Sonic's friends haven't been featured since Sonic 2006. Which is absurd. Not only have they been constantly featured, but they've also been playable in many games. The idea that the friends haven't been featured only works if you're specifically talking about them not being playable in the boost games only. Which is true. But even that is just Sega taking the "only the Sonic stages were good in Adventure" to its logically conclusion.

OP
OP

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
I don't think it gets enough shit. It is the first truly bad mainline Sonic game and the series never fully recovered. Only about 1/3 of it is passable at best. I think even Heroes was a better game and even that game was pretty terrible.

This post is a lie and you know it.

SA 2 didn't have 21 red coin missions, 240 blue coins (24 shines), Pachinko mission, poison river mission, etc.