OP
OP
BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Even setting aside Live & Learn and Open Your Heart, I don't think any of the final boss themes of the modern era have had the same catharsis as I get out of What I'm Made Of and With Me. Both Perfect Dark Gaia and Solaris came the closest but just lack the same bite without the vocal performances.

I can't argue too much with With Me tbh. Still one of the best final boss themes in the series. I should make a thread about vocal final boss themes and see what wins.

That's the ENDING theme?! God damn, if they're letting that banger be for the ending, then how hard is the main theme going to slap??

They're flexing on us. We are not ready!

We've heard the instrumental in the Nintendo Direct trailer, and a vocal snippet of it in a Japanese commercial. It does indeed seem to go pretty hard.

I wonder if that's actually the main theme.

But people ! We now know what's winning Soundtrack of the Year !

Though I suppose Mario+Rabbids: Spark of Hope's sound team is also stacked.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
That song's really good. Totally right up my alley.
If there is one thing Sonic rarely fails, it's the soundtrack and it seems this is no exception!

bingy

Jun 24, 2021
Damn this is great. As if I couldn't be any more on board with this game. It's shaping up to be something.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Is this game gonna be good actually

XJls5o1.gif

Maybe

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
The ending to this game HAS to be fucking crazy for this song to be attached to it, either narratively, epic gameplay moment wise, or both. We're either getting the hypest, most uplifting moment in a Sonic game in a long time, or something incredibly bittersweet for the story to end off on, and then this song comes on.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
The ending to this game HAS to be fucking crazy for this song to be attached to it, either narratively, epic gameplay moment wise, or both. We're either getting the hypest, most uplifting moment in a Sonic game in a long time, or something incredibly bittersweet for the story to end off on, and then this song comes on.
ngl, I kinda want a super happy ending and then it cuts to this song just for the lolz

but i'm predicting SAGE becomes a good guy but realizes that to release everyone from the dream world she has to sacrifice herself

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
ngl, I kinda want a super happy ending and then it cuts to this song just for the lolz

but i'm predicting SAGE becomes a good guy but realizes that to release everyone from the dream world she has to sacrifice herself
You're probably not far off; iirc Ian specifically cited that characters mindsets change over the course of the game as a result of Sonic's actions; so it'll probably be something similar to the usual answer to the "is writing a static hero limiting compared to a constantly developing one?" question/argument that gets thrown around a lot towards the series now

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Oh, this will 100% be going in my main playlist. Very much my taste, though surprising for an ending song rather than a main theme!

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018

Given the premise, I don't see how they don't Link's Awakening this game in some way

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
This gif is honestly perfection. I still think the game will probably be only a 7-8/10 but this song is enough to finally get me on the hype train.
Nobody is expecting it out of this, not even me, but I've long stated I'd prefer they stick with the boost formula well enough that they reach a 9/10 before trying to take on the adventure or classics styles again; instead going all-out (and I mean all-out) in the story, presentation, atmosphere and adventure aspects to make up for the lack of gameplay depth. Just blow the socks off of people in terms of an adventure offered to people even remotely interested in that, but with a decently solid gameplay style, not revolutionary. Basically an SA2 of this generation.

Right now until I see the titan fights and how they might be incorporating the climbing, all I can have faith in for now is a 7-8/10 as well, but... 👀

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Sega were probably forced to make this announcement due to the timing of the album release but hopefully we'll be getting even more information in the Sonic Station Live tomorrow (about 9 hours from now).

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
The fact the hedgehog is bopping along to this song while naruto running all the while makes it 100 times better

Deleted member 10981

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2022
Stealing this thought from Twitter, but it definitely feels like they're upping their involvement in trying to make the game appeal to audiences in Japan.

Korone as ambassador and having a bunch of DLC and pre-order bonuses associated with her, the early commercials, and now getting One OK Rock.

Definitely interested in seeing how well it sells there given Sonic Forces only opened to 10k in 2017.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love One OK Rock and this is the thing that has gotten me excited for Sonic Frontiers lmao.

It absolutely fits the vibe Sonic has had in the Adventure days.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Sometimes I forget about details like Mania only being mid 80s on metacritic. Yeah nvm no way a 9/10 consensus is ever happening in our lifetimes lol; 7/8 at absolute best.

OP
OP
BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Nobody is expecting it out of this, not even me, but I've long stated I'd prefer they stick with the boost formula well enough that they reach a 9/10 before trying to take on the adventure or classics styles again; instead going all-out (and I mean all-out) in the story, presentation, atmosphere and adventure aspects to make up for the lack of gameplay depth. Just blow the socks off of people in terms of an adventure offered to people even remotely interested in that, but with a decently solid gameplay style, not revolutionary. Basically an SA2 of this generation.

Right now until I see the titan fights and how they might be incorporating the climbing, all I can have faith in for now is a 7-8/10 as well, but... 👀

I wouldn't go as far as that but I think this game's potential to reach mid 80s is based on story, presentation and how cool the Titan fights will be.

A solid low 8s would definitely be a W in Sonic's book. Haven't had a major 3D Sonic win since Gens.

I'd be very happy with that !

I'm sorry, only 7-8?

That's really good for sonic team in the last decade lol

To be fair, Lost World wasn't that bad. It was a 7/10. It's worse sin was its utter lack of tutorial to explain the controls.

Sometimes I forget about details like Mania only being mid 80s on metacritic. Yeah nvm no way a 9/10 consensus is ever happening in our lifetimes lol; 7/8 at absolute best.

Sonic Mania Plus stands at 91.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

As godly as Mania is it's hard to compare it's score potential to Frontiers. A new 3D Sonic game that truly is spectacular would almost certainly beat a new 2D Sonic game that was spectacular in score just because of the nature of the projects.

I haven't listened to this track cause I wanna save it for the game, but just had to give my two cents on that. Sounds like it's hittin the right notes from the impressions in here though.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
I wouldn't go as far as that but I think this game's potential to reach mid 80s is based on story, presentation and how cool the Titan fights will be.
Yeah it's all moreso in theory. Especially in comparison to the more recent rumors of them working on Adventure remakes before this was revealed, or the hopes for a Mania in 3D, which I had absolutely no faith in if they ever happened with the current Sonic team lol. I believe you're right on the mark, but I want to say the potential is still there if ST could pull it off just right, all-planets-aligning randomly style.
Sonic Mania Plus stands at 91.
True. Maybe the solution to earning high metacritic scores is just releasing them enough times that people who don't like the games just don't end up reviewing them again lol 😔
As godly as Mania is it's hard to compare it's score potential to Frontiers. A new 3D Sonic game that truly is spectacular would almost certainly beat a new 2D Sonic game that was spectacular in score just because of the nature of the projects.
Maybe? Idk I believe a well designed platformer with tons of depth to it akin to classics of old has a lot better of a chance at winning over those who just aren't into the idea of the series at all. Like if Sonic Adventure 2's appeal is similar to that of platinum games escalation over time, and Frontiers were to continue that but with far better writing, that would still leave all the people who don't even enjoy platinum game presentation to begin with potentially disenthused with the direction, while they pine for the games to be as simple as the 16 bit days again.

I've been hopeful that voice has gotten dimmer with time, but I will never expect a perfect 2D Sonic game, classic at that, to have less of a chance of escaping those voices than an over the top 3D action Sonic game. 's why I look at the 84-86s of Mania original and can't help but sigh lol

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Lyrical songs never really left Sonic didn't they. People talk like it's a comeback. However, it's only Lost World that really had no lyrical songs. Generations too, but even that had a new version of Open Your Heart.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's all moreso in theory. Especially in comparison to the more recent rumors of them working on Adventure remakes before this was revealed, or the hopes for a Mania in 3D, which I had absolutely no faith in if they ever happened with the current Sonic team lol. I believe you're right on the mark, but I want to say the potential is still there if ST could pull it off just right, all-planets-aligning randomly style.

True. Maybe the solution to earning high metacritic scores is just releasing them enough times that people who don't like the games just don't end up reviewing them again lol 😔

Maybe? Idk I believe a well designed platformer with tons of depth to it akin to classics of old has a lot better of a chance at winning over those who just aren't into the idea of the series at all. Like if Sonic Adventure 2's appeal is similar to that of platinum games escalation over time, and Frontiers were to continue that but with far better writing, that would still leave all the people who don't even enjoy platinum game presentation to begin with potentially disenthused with the direction, while they pine for the games to be as simple as the 16 bit days again.

I've been hopeful that voice has gotten dimmer with time, but I will never expect a perfect 2D Sonic game, classic at that, to have less of a chance of escaping those voices than an over the top 3D action Sonic game. 's why I look at the 84-86s of Mania original and can't help but sigh lol

Well I think that Sonic's a bit unique, as it's been the whole tale as old as time thing of them not truly translating his 2D roots into 3D properly. Not badly mind you every time, it's just not the same game overall.

Like a game like Mario Odyssey is going to have higher potential reviews than another NSMB, because Odyssey is truly Mario and truly taking him to the next level. Where as Sonic never really fully did that, so there's always been this stigma on if a 3D Sonic game can truly be spectacular in the ways the 2D ones can.

Please keep in mind, I love plenty of 3D Sonic games. I think Generations is genuinely fantastic. But it's still a very different experience from playing the 2D games in a lot of ways. I feel like from what I'm seeing from Frontiers more than ANY other 3D Sonic including Generations is that they do seem to finally be trying to truly translate what the 2D games did into a 3D space. I'm not sure if they'll fully accomplish it, but it's very exciting.

I will say though, Mania is so god damn good that it may have reached higher highs if more of it was original. But in a weird way…that could have been bad and sealed 3D Sonic'd fate on recovering. I think there's a reason Nintendo keeps the NSMB series more low-key than the 3D games. Because they want them to just do their job but not blow the 3D entries out of the water.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Though, might feel kind of partial spoiler for the ending, I like it.

758839733404172291.gif

Last edited: