Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah it's kinda frustrating they have not gotten 2D physics right ever for Sonic.

Worst part is that I feel they made actual attempts. There's even spots where you could roll and slingshot off a platform with momentum. But it's so unusable because sonic will randomly uncurl, or trying to roll will stop you dead in your tracks, or just the momentum not working. It's been a sour point for me since Generations (and even then, the spindash for classic sonic compensated a lot at least in that game).

it's even MORE frustrating when you see it totally works no problem in the open world with drop dash >:V so I know THEY know how it works :p

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Honestly I think the 2D physics is intentional to make it easier to react to stuff. They don't want to let you actually go fast. Giving people the freedom to fuck up probably doesn't go over well with play testers.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why this is such a huge hangup? There aren't even that many cutscenes, and even when there are they seldom exceed one minute in length. I understand you want negative 100 story in your platformers period, but even the original Mario had unskippable "your princess is in another castle!" cinematics. An unskippable Sage cutscene here or there seems trivial. Just seems like an odd thing to obsess about in 2022.

the rest of the cutscenes are skippable, so it's weird when something isn't. it's like when, when the entire game doesn't have a qte until the second major boss fight and then it 1-hit kills you if you fail and have to start over from the get-the-emerald part. the lack of consistency is frustrating.

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I feel like I'm doing the fifth island dirty. I found Big's fishing spot, maxed out my tokens, and bought every key and gear I could. When I returned to the island, six emerald vaults unlocked.

In regards to the cyberspace levels, some of the S rank goals feel near impossible. I saw someone call out 1-2. It's weird that other 1-x stages were relatively easy to beat the time, yet the second is a pain.

Though since I'm playing on Switch, there's no achievements to get, so my motivation to work on them all is pretty low.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the first level boss - 😂 dear god it was so so shit and yet so epic. What even is this game.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
QUOTE="Shadoken, post: 96661164, member: 1140"]
Why do the 2D Cyber space levels feel so weird. Like you are slower than normal ?

I wish we just got the Open world controls into cyber space. The controls for that feel so good.
[/QUOTE]
The bad 2d controls is a holdover from it being built of forces which was built from lost world.
Now they could change it as much as they did the 3d control considering 3d sonic can run in a circle and do a million fluid things that never be possible in forces and lost elfld bit they just did not

Ofcourse better yet get rid of 2d sections in 3d games entirely

OP
OP
BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Almost done with Island 3 and just wanted to sing its praises. I love the aesthetics and music here, as well as the hilly terrain that's especially fun to run around on. Didn't have an issue with the 2D parts, especially since I was often finding ways to go around them (and some were quite elaborate). Also, I was not expecting this place to look so nice the first time the weather cleared up. Love that it's a very brief thing, too.

Worst part was the bridge minigame, which just seemed kind of weird and arbitrary, especially since Sonic would be able to reach the other side normally if not for an invisible wall. The dreaded pinball minigame though? Beat it first try and didn't lose any balls- I found that holding the bumpers up was a reliable way to keep from losing any, although maybe I just got lucky.

Oct 25, 2017
the rest of the cutscenes are skippable, so it's weird when something isn't. it's like when, when the entire game doesn't have a qte until the second major boss fight and then it 1-hit kills you if you fail and have to start over from the get-the-emerald part. the lack of consistency is frustrating.
Some unskippable cutscenes exist purely to mask loading. It's no shock if the unskippable ones are the ones where a completely new setpiece is engaged that needs to be loaded in while it plays, like the Titan chases. Would you rather be staring at black screen for 30 seconds instead of a contextual piece of animation that links you to the next piece of gameplay you're about to jump into?

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the controls in cyberspace are mostly shit while jumping. It's as if it simply doesn't respect the direction you're holding, like it's a resident evil game that knows the cameras going to be switching on a whim? Something fucky is going on anyway - seems ok if you just walk sonic in a circle

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm doing the fifth island dirty. I found Big's fishing spot, maxed out my tokens, and bought every key and gear I could. When I returned to the island, six emerald vaults unlocked.

In regards to the cyberspace levels, some of the S rank goals feel near impossible. I saw someone call out 1-2. It's weird that other 1-x stages were relatively easy to beat the time, yet the second is a pain.

Though since I'm playing on Switch, there's no achievements to get, so my motivation to work on them all is pretty low.
The Fifth island has the best Cyberstages hands down, I wouldn't skip them!

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There aren't achievements for getting S ranks on every levels on other platforms either. Only one achievement/trophy for getting one S rank. The platinum trophy is one of the easiest I've ever seen, even easier than Spider-Man.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Big has such a menacing cryptid energy in this game.
You don't even know why he's here, how he got here. Yet he has the power to come and go from cyberspace.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Some unskippable cutscenes exist purely to mask loading. It's no shock if the unskippable ones are the ones where a completely new setpiece is engaged that needs to be loaded in while it plays, like the Titan chases. Would you rather be staring at black screen for 30 seconds instead of a contextual piece of animation that links you to the next piece of gameplay you're about to jump into?

it would be nice if they were consistent. other times there are loading screens, you're in a small combat zone and then the game loads in a cyberspace level with sonic already running. i don't know why these parts are different.

plus i'm playing a digital copy on ps5. i thought load times were a thing of the past. you lied to me sony. you said this was regular coffee.

Oct 25, 2017
i don't know why these parts are different.
Because arriving in the open world, a loading screen, then suddenly you're running from a titanic monster through an obstacle course with zero context would be pretty jarring for most of the audience.

I don't know, maybe this isn't the series for you? Sonic is intrinsically linked to character personalities, stories and lore. Not really the kind of games you play if you don't want stories or characters talking.
plus i'm playing a digital copy on ps5. i thought load times were a thing of the past.
Their engine was built to scale on consoles that don't have the convenience of SSD, so a third party game like this won't necessarily be able to tune for the advantages of the most powerful hardware for everything.

Sending my thoughts and prayers that you somehow survive the torture of having to watch 30 seconds of handcrafted animation.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
I have hundreds of skill points I can't use since I bought everything, but I'm still going for air tricks. Send help.

Also, has anybody else zoomed in the camera a little? I set mine to 30 and it feels perfect there. Playing on Switch handheld though.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Where does the "Sonic Team is made up of about 60 people" come from?
Iizuka himself, in an interview where he mention's Sonic Team's current size compared to the past:

https://soahcity.com/2021/09/29/pre...-sonic-vr-30th-anniversary-and-sonics-future/

Worth noting that this number does not reflect the full development team's size, though

View: https://twitter.com/BlazeHedgehog/status/1592316485619568641

View: https://twitter.com/ajmcgucken/status/1592332572247625728

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Because arriving in the open world, a loading screen, then suddenly you're running from a titanic monster through an obstacle course with zero context would be pretty jarring for most of the audience.

I don't know, maybe this isn't the series for you? Sonic is intrinsically linked to character personalities, stories and lore. Not really the kind of games you play if you don't want stories or characters talking.

well i don't think so. here's my experience with sonic:

90s: the four main genesis platformers
00s: the sonic advance trilogy, sonic rush games, the adventure games, secret rings, mega collection, gems collection
10s: the colors duo, the generations duo, the lost world duo, mania, and forces
20s: frontiers

it's a pretty solid continuum of 2d sonic gameplay that i like through about 2011. by the time it got to colors ds, it had been such a gradual shift from genesis to advance to rush to colors that colors ds felt like sonic really doing its own thing - but it didn't feel like this new idea that each new 3d sonic game was doing every single time after adventure 2. the biggest problem i have with the 3d games is that they're really inconsistent. that they have poorly-conceived stories and hokey writing is really secondary to my problems with all of those. if i've been left behind, it's because sonic team's been making bad games, not crappy stories (although they should really not have focused so much energy into... whatever the hell they were doing in those games let's be real).

but for the most part, the games have been generally trending towards good, from what i've played. i've stayed away from games that i knew would bother me on principle (black knight, 06, shadow, boom wii u).

still missed out on all the 8-bit games - i think the screen size would annoy me. same goes for pocket adventure, but i'm more keen to try that one out as it's the last sonic of the 90s and made by snk. didn't play heroes because it looked pretty mid.

Their engine was built to scale on consoles that don't have the convenience of SSD, so a third party game like this won't necessarily be able to tune for the advantages of the most powerful hardware for everything.

Sending my thoughts and prayers that you somehow survive the torture of having to watch 30 seconds of handcrafted animation.

it's a bummer to be sure. i'll just get third-party stuff on switch going forward again.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Big has such a menacing cryptid energy in this game.
You don't even know why he's here, how he got here. Yet he has the power to come and go from cyberspace.

Big really was the absolute perfect character to use for Frontiers as one of the very few NPCs. Any other character in this situation would bring with them crazy questions and all that, but with Big it's just like…yeah, of course you're here. Sure. Of course you have the power to cross dimensions so you can fish. Him being missed in the main series was just the icing.

I have hundreds of skill points I can't use since I bought everything, but I'm still going for air tricks. Send help.

I'm pretty sure I'm at like 400 skill points now and I still go for tricks every time. Does somethin' to my brain.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Big really was the absolute perfect character to use for Frontiers as one of the very few NPCs. Any other character in this situation would bring with them crazy questions and all that, but with Big it's just like…yeah, of course you're here. Sure. Of course you have the power to cross dimensions so you can fish. Him being missed in the main series was just the icing.
Yeah, Big just... Existing wherever he chooses, whenever he chooses just feels so... Right for him as a character lol. If Sega were to ever come out and say that Big and Froggy were transdimensional beings who travel through time and space just to fish, I wouldn't bat an eye once.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ended up picking this up after getting increasingly curious and interested in it. I have to say.. as someone who has found Sonic games pretty contradictory (i.e. speed through a level, but also pick up collectibles), and not really getting on with the ones I've tried in the past for multiple reasons, (e.g. wanting to go one way, but the speed and momentum takes me another way to the point where I feel I'm not reallying playing the game and just watching Sonic blaze through the level), Frontiers I am at least enjoying and doesn't have a lot of the issues I've had with past sonic games and played enough to finish the first world, which is more than I can say for past Sonic games since... Sonic Heroes being the last Sonic I remember liking enough to play much of.
Can get the S ranks with a little effort, maybe another run or two to get the red rings, but as they're fairly short levels, I don't really mind. Maybe Neon White, which I've also been playing a lot recently, has trained me into doing multiple runs, one speed focused, one item finding focused, I think it works for short levels, but some levels for Sonic games in the past have been longer to the point where I don't think I'd stomach that idea as much.

It's certainly by no means perfect though. Combat is just.. there I'm finding. Just finished Giganto, which should have been an epic moment and still kinda was, but somewhat ruined that I kept running out of time and didn't understand how and what I was doing wrong. Then learnt I had to avoid being attacked and learnt about parrying, which I literally never had to do before now and wasn't warned. Giganto would also attack off camera JUST as I came back after being hit away which didn't help, so that was a shame to ruin that moment somewhat. Combat is what's mostly frustrating me atm, I also had some enemies that turned into cylinders, which I did know I had to do a quick cyclone to break it, but then as soon as I do, another attacks me just as I finish, don't know what I could have done there.
Had some platforming awkwardness too where Sonic just won't run up wall like I want, or sometimes even just drop through a wall, but not finding it as big of a problem as combat so far, thankfully not so much of it, other than for gangs of enemies, and bosses so far, and in levels just die with one hit so that's fine there.

Otherwise, so far I like just going round the world getting collectibles, solving mini puzzles, nice soundtrack and I'm looking forward to more bosses, but judging from the last, hoping they won't have quirks that ruin the moment. Weird to block fast travelling until all levels complete though? Or getting scrolls from fishing to fast travel to elders.
Feeling there's potential here for me anyway, but many Sonic's in the past have had that and been thrown in the trash to try something else, so guess we'll see what happens next time. They've done well to keep me playing this long anyway.

Aki-at

Oct 25, 2017
Iizuka himself, in an interview where he mention's Sonic Team's current size compared to the past:

https://soahcity.com/2021/09/29/pre...-sonic-vr-30th-anniversary-and-sonics-future/

Worth noting that this number does not reflect the full development team's size, though

The 95 artists + 95 sound team inflates that number and seems to be counting people whose contribution might have been some pieces of art, one/two music track, singers etc

You take them away, you're left with 66 people in the development team, who probably were the "core" group. 40 odd programmers is roughly the same amount who were working on Sonic Forces iirc, but that designer figure is still pretty low for the content of the game and only 7 more from Forces, I think 5 more from Generations and Colours.

I would be dubious point Sonic Team anywhere past 100 and especially beyond 200... That makes them bigger than Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio or the PSO2 team, who are SEGA Japan's big dev teams.

OP
OP
BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Ended up picking this up after getting increasingly curious and interested in it. I have to say.. as someone who has found Sonic games pretty contradictory (i.e. speed through a level, but also pick up collectibles), and not really getting on with the ones I've tried in the past for multiple reasons, (e.g. wanting to go one way, but the speed and momentum takes me another way to the point where I feel I'm not reallying playing the game and just watching Sonic blaze through the level), Frontiers I am at least enjoying and doesn't have a lot of the issues I've had with past sonic games and played enough to finish the first world, which is more than I can say for past Sonic games since... Sonic Heroes being the last Sonic I remember liking enough to play much of.
Can get the S ranks with a little effort, maybe another run or two to get the red rings, but as they're fairly short levels, I don't really mind. Maybe Neon White, which I've also been playing a lot recently, has trained me into doing multiple runs, one speed focused, one item finding focused, I think it works for short levels, but some levels for Sonic games in the past have been longer to the point where I don't think I'd stomach that idea as much.

It's certainly by no means perfect though. Combat is just.. there I'm finding. Just finished Giganto, which should have been an epic moment and still kinda was, but somewhat ruined that I kept running out of time and didn't understand how and what I was doing wrong. Then learnt I had to avoid being attacked and learnt about parrying, which I literally never had to do before now and wasn't warned. Giganto would also attack off camera JUST as I came back after being hit away which didn't help, so that was a shame to ruin that moment somewhat. Combat is what's mostly frustrating me atm, I also had some enemies that turned into cylinders, which I did know I had to do a quick cyclone to break it, but then as soon as I do, another attacks me just as I finish, don't know what I could have done there.
Had some platforming awkwardness too where Sonic just won't run up wall like I want, or sometimes even just drop through a wall, but not finding it as big of a problem as combat so far, thankfully not so much of it, other than for gangs of enemies, and bosses so far, and in levels just die with one hit so that's fine there.

Otherwise, so far I like just going round the world getting collectibles, solving mini puzzles, nice soundtrack and I'm looking forward to more bosses, but judging from the last, hoping they won't have quirks that ruin the moment. Weird to block fast travelling until all levels complete though? Or getting scrolls from fishing to fast travel to elders.
Feeling there's potential here for me anyway, but many Sonic's in the past have had that and been thrown in the trash to try something else, so guess we'll see what happens next time. They've done well to keep me playing this long anyway.
Some tips:

- You can hold the parry indefinitely. If you're confused on a Titan fight, you likely have to parry.
- Before going into Titan fights, make sure to cyloop yourself up to the max ring count.
- When in doubt about how to interact with an enemy, use the cyloop.
- For parkour, boosting into the wall will make you boost wall run. Merely touching the wall without the boost will make you climb. One you're climbing, you can press the boost button to wall run. You can jump off the wall and boost back into it for a boosted wall run
- Sequence breaking and flowing with Sonic is the key to getting around the starfall islands for tokens.
- Sometimes, cyloop minibosses can allow you to hit them more, stopping them from reinitiating the boss cycle.

I hope you enjoy the following Titan fights because they're pretty epic in spite of the jank. Especially the second one!

Edit: Bonus tip. You can parry pretty much everything the titans throw at you and I recommend trying it out!

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'm at what I think is the last island and while my attack and defense are at lvl 70+, my rings and speed levels are barely at around 25. Do I really need to grind these all the way to 99? How even? I've been picking up every Koco I found and it feels impossible.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Big just... Existing wherever he chooses, whenever he chooses just feels so... Right for him as a character lol. If Sega were to ever come out and say that Big and Froggy were transdimensional beings who travel through time and space just to fish, I wouldn't bat an eye once.

Same.

I'm at what I think is the last island and while my attack and defense are at lvl 70+, my rings and speed levels are barely at around 25. Do I really need to grind these all the way to 99? How even? I've been picking up every Koco I found and it feels impossible.

No you don't. But if you want to the best way to do it by the last island is fishing. You can buy Kocos from Big. Because along with his cross dimensional travel, he's apparently kidnapping and selling Kocos for sporting purposes.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018

People have memed the "gun" attack as OP, but you can actually just shoot the cylinder guys from afar and they won't defend for some reason. They'll just all run at you, get shot at, and die. If that's too boring for you, Sonic's dashing B attack can one shot them and they won't defend that either for some reason.

Technically the rails are supposed to be a kind of fast travel, but they really only help bypass mountains/walls/pits. In world 1 there's not much of those but there are plenty in island 2 and 3.

And of course Sonic himself is a form of fast travel amirite

OP
OP
BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I'm gonna need to formalize my full thoughts on the game soon. I've been thinking about it a lot and I think Hoot 's take on Frontiers is on the money. The game really feels like a personal game to Sonic Team in a very unique way.

The more I'm musing on it, the more I have thoughts on the overall narrative
(incoming big artsy fartsy take)
I really have the feel that Frontiers's entire narrative is meant to be taken almost meta contextually, or at least that's how I end up absorbing it.
The overarching explicit plot is pretty meaningless. In fact, you don't really end up "resolving" anything towards the mysteries. Instead, it's a vehicle for an introspection of the main characters (and, in a sense, the franchise as a whole).

I also think about the overall game's presentation, with these overall melancholic tones, how we see a civilization of the past that has already failed with its fate already locked in place and there's nothing you can do about it, "but at least help them find peace". It's very much like we're looking at the failures of the past and, while we can only mourn, we must also go forward with that optimism. The cyberspace being fragments of Sonic's past also works into it.

This is even reinforced with all these memos and short conversation going over the entire history of Sonic, even to some of the most obscure stuff.

That point is pushed to its most obvious to me with the final boss and the credits song.
The final boss not being an actual someone or something, but just a "concept". Something that is there to basically threaten the existence of Sonic (both character and like...everything about him). And you ultimately beat it, not even through Super Sonic but something completely surprising, but also funnily as something that is also so damn Sega with an ikaruga clone. The final shot before you beat it is just Super Sonic blazing silently through space like a shooting star before obliterating The End that has been mocking us the entire time.

In the end, all the characters have new perspectives on the future and all want to move forward in new directions as you fly towards the sun.
You're first left to a bittersweet song with Eggman that caps off the melancholy.

And then, you get a song that is explicitly said to be a message from Sonic Team to the fans with lyrics such as

It's definitively not something I expect a lot of people liking (especially because it's not like it's been done the most elegantly), but the more I think about it and the more I really appreciate the core of Frontiers.

I know this is probably a bit silly, thinking all of this for a Sonic game. But I think that's why I felt the game was very "earnest", and was trying to piece together why that came across.

Oct 25, 2017

You still need programmers and miscellaneous staff contracted to do one-and-done localization, providing tools for porting and scaling, testing and QA across all platforms. I'll take a veteran producer's word over someone outside the actual development team that the core staff was around 60.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Technically the rails are supposed to be a kind of fast travel, but they really only help bypass mountains/walls/pits. In world 1 there's not much of those but there are plenty in island 2 and 3.

The fast travel rails also give you way more opportunities to "rail launch". Meaning you boost on an upward incline of a rail and jump at generally around the peak. It launches Sonic really high with a ton of momentum that can shoot you across the map.

I was doubtful at first of it's usefulness but when you use it correctly it's awesome. It feels like the equivalent of launching up an upward incline with a lot of momentum in the classic games to reach new areas. I think it'll end up being essential for speed runs.

Look at 3 mins here for an example.

View: https://youtu.be/Z-SqayTnIlI?t=180

Aki-at

Oct 25, 2017
Too be honest considering what Froggy ate in Sonic Adventure I'm sure Big holds onto the most powerful McGuffin known to man.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Some tips:

- You can hold the parry indefinitely. If you're confused on a Titan fight, you likely have to parry.
- Before going into Titan fights, make sure to cyloop yourself up to the max ring count.
- When in doubt about how to interact with an enemy, use the cyloop.
- For parkour, boosting into the wall will make you boost wall run. Merely touching the wall without the boost will make you climb. One you're climbing, you can press the boost button to wall run. You can jump off the wall and boost back into it for a boosted wall run
- Sequence breaking and flowing with Sonic is the key to getting around the starfall islands for tokens.
- Sometimes, cyloop minibosses can allow you to hit them more, stopping them from reinitiating the boss cycle.

I hope you enjoy the following Titan fights because they're pretty epic in spite of the jank. Especially the second one!

Edit: Bonus tip. You can parry pretty much everything the titans throw at you and I recommend trying it out!

People have memed the "gun" attack as OP, but you can actually just shoot the cylinder guys from afar and they won't defend for some reason. They'll just all run at you, get shot at, and die. If that's too boring for you, Sonic's dashing B attack can one shot them and they won't defend that either for some reason.

Thanks for the tips! Can you parry when he does the grab and bite attack or laser attacks? I was holding parry for both of those but they still landed, only really worked for me against his punches.

I also noticed I couldn't always cyloop during giganti, is there a reason why not? Sometimes it triggered, mostly it didn't. This was when I was just pressing Y.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DAM SON

I'll get on it ASAP then. Thanks.
I purchased 2500 kokos from Big on the final island lmao

Also, has anybody else zoomed in the camera a little? I set mine to 30 and it feels perfect there. Playing on Switch handheld though.
Yeah I zoomed in too, around 25 or 30, I don't remember. It feels better too me (and I usually never change that in other games). Also yeah, can't help doing tricks even though I've had everything maxed out for ages.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Thanks for the tips! Can you parry when he does the grab and bite attack or laser attacks? I was holding parry for both of those but they still landed, only really worked for me against his punches.

I also noticed I couldn't always cyloop during giganti, is there a reason why not? Sometimes it triggered, mostly it didn't. This was when I was just pressing Y.
You can't parry the laser but iirc you can parry the crush and bite.

As for the cyloop, do you mean the general cyloop function, or the cyloop combo? You should always be able to cyloop as far as I know, but the combo requires you fill the meter on the right.

Oct 28, 2017
I purchased 2500 kokos from Big on the final island lmao
I'm glad that's the case, got worried about the limit on the earlier fishing spots.

Jesus, that Wyrven boss had me livid
I'm pretty sure I died 4-5 times at the instakill QTEs because I was trying to remember how it worked (what I get for taking long breaks from the game). Then I died one more time because I was an inch off the circle.

OP
OP
BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018

You can parry the grab. The laser attack is pure QTE though. Cylooping the titan is a bit jank. The best way to do it is building up the quickloop meter and just using that. Otherwise, I recommend drawing the cyloop circle right in front of them instead of around them as their hitbox is usually big enough that it works.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that's the case, got worried about the limit on the earlier fishing spots.
Yeah I was surprised too. I kept waiting for them to be out of stock but it never happened.
Though I wish I could turn off the permanent blue blur speed upgrade. Not that I don't like it, but once you have the speed maxed out you're always locked into it. I'd like to have the choice, so if I had known I think I would have stopped at lvl 98.