• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's been a long time coming, but the level art for Genocide Cyber City has finally been released, along with an extra surprise*, revealed in this video.

View: https://youtu.be/RfJ4uEcJJtA?si=jm5pmcX8wpN2dTJ0

Animated Sand Shower Zone with its Winter variation finally revealed (both mockups, as they were never completed)
mXt566E.gif

Ukjvdr1.png

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long time coming, but the level art for Genocide Cyber City has finally been released, along with an extra surprise*, revealed in this video.

View: https://youtu.be/RfJ4uEcJJtA?si=jm5pmcX8wpN2dTJ0

Animated Sand Shower Zone with its Winter variation finally revealed (both mockups, as they were never completed)
mXt566E.gif

Ukjvdr1.png

Sonic 2 continues to be the game that keeps on giving. I love that we got to see concepts of what more of the cut levels would have been, its so fascinating to me.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on zone 9 of Superstars and I can't remember a game with such an inconsistent soundtrack. There're some great tracks, and then there are some "hello, security? Jun's got the Sonic 4 synthesizers out again!" tracks.

Sep 12, 2018
I'm so excited for the next Sonic I wish they had just went the frontiers direction after generations instead of the uninspired by the numbers games they gave us in the 2010s. For as bad games like shadow the hedgehog were it felt like there was ambition and creativity behind it. Lost world and forces were so blah. Frontiers feels like the devs are excited and inspired again. Superstars too outside of the horribly bland OST

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I think Lost World had a bunch of potential, but SEGA SEGA'd it and didn't just stick with 1 good idea, and they threw in a bunch of 2D stages that felt worse than S4 Ep 1. A full game of Lost World's new gameplay style would've been fantastic.

I'm on island 3 on Frontiers now, and I have feelings about this game. I'll have to do a lttp once I'm finished. All I'll say is that for the next game I hope they hook the people working on it up to small electric shock machines that will give them a little zap every time they stop working on the core Sonic gameplay and start on the creature herding, pillar rotating, putting balls into holes, pressing L1 and R1 to light up panels etc. gameplay.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
All I'll say is that for the next game I hope they hook the people working on it up to small electric shock machines that will give them a little zap every time they stop working on the core Sonic gameplay and start on the creature herding, pillar rotating, putting balls into holes, pressing L1 and R1 to light up panels etc. gameplay.
Co signed. Adore the over world exploration and platforming, even liked the stages despite their short length and inconsistent quality, but the story stuff where suddenly you have limited hits, stupid objectives, and that terrible mirror puzzle should have been skippable, its all abysmal.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
If they continue with the Open-Zone format as-is, I think the puzzles should remain. Not all of the same ones of course, and they should have a variety of rewards. One of the bigger issues was how simple many of them were. They didn't evolve in a meaningful or challenging way throughout the game and some were very frequent. Let some basic ones stay, add some new ones that better utilise Sonic's movesets, tie everything together with NPCs and sidequests/stories. Also keep the minigames. I like minigames.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
If they continue with the Open-Zone format as-is, I think the puzzles should remain. Not all of the same ones of course, and they should have a variety of rewards. One of the bigger issues was how simple many of them were. They didn't evolve in a meaningful or challenging way throughout the game and some were very frequent. Let some basic ones stay, add some new ones that better utilise Sonic's movesets, tie everything together with NPCs and sidequests/stories. Also keep the minigames. I like minigames.
My favourite minigame was the one where I had to parry 3 projectiles, so I just had to hold L1 and R1 for 15 seconds and then watch the frustratingly unskippable filling in the map animation. It added so much to the experience.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
Ok so I was curious and got Sonic Mania, watched that video in the other threads a while back about how to play Sonic and just went through Mania (which is my favorite now btw) and I am here addicted to all the Sonic games I just bought a lot of them off steam and some for my switch. Playing everyday for weeks straight. Beat several already and some fangames, I LOVE the fangames. So I can't believe I never didn't do this before and I have a huge appreciation and love of Sonic gameplay.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Ok so I was curious and got Sonic Mania, watched that video in the other threads a while back about how to play Sonic and just went through Mania (which is my favorite now btw) and I am here addicted to all the Sonic games I just bought a lot of them off steam and some for my switch. Playing everyday for weeks straight. Beat several already and some fangames, I LOVE the fangames. So I can't believe I never didn't do this before and I have a huge appreciation and love of Sonic gameplay.
Hello and welcome to the series. You enjoyed all the games you played then? Or have any lost you?

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
Hello and welcome to the series. You enjoyed all the games you played then? Or have any lost you?
Yeah I'm pretty addicted to the 2D-ish Sonic gameplay, but I really REALLY starting to enjoy Project 06. I don't think any lost me but I wasn't super thrilled with Sonic CD, but once I finish it I should go and try to 100% it with all time gems.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I'm pretty addicted to the 2D-ish Sonic gameplay, but I really REALLY starting to enjoy Project 06. I don't think any lost me but I wasn't super thrilled with Sonic CD, but once I finish it I should go and try to 100% it with all time gems.
Alright, that's cool. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately in the eyes of many lol), there are a fair few 3D games unavailable on Steam and modern consoles- plus many handheld games.

And yeah, CD is very divisive. For some they absolutely love it as their favourite, for others it is a frustrating mess of level design. The special stages are okay, imo. You can really get tripped up by one or two though. And if you have Origins you can use those coins to retry.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished Frontiers, and I'm at the Amy bit now. I had all purchasable skills unlocked as Sonic by the end of island 2 and ended the game with like 206 excess skill points. Couldn't Sonic have just slipped some of those into Amy's pockets lmao?

The last section was shockingly underwhelming though. The final Titan was the most tame one in terms of difficulty and spectacle, and The End was a headscratcher of a design choice. I suppose I might've been overlevelled (71 attack), but like, is there anything in the base game that'd require 99 attack.

I also still don't understand what the point of upgrading ring capacity was. I think the most I lost in a boss fight was around 150-200, so why would I ever need to put it to 999 rings?

Overall though there's a really good game in Frontiers. They might not have put that game on the disc, but it's in there somewhere. I just hope that they try something equally ambitious for a sequel, rather than just doing a Frontiers 2, but there are some great features here that I hope they'll bring over.

Edit: Just got the spin dash with Knuckles. Why the heck did Sonic not have this?

Last edited:

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
IIRC the Sonic portions of the DLC grant you the spindash even if you didn't get the reward from the main game's updates.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I got it as Sonic in the DLC, but I'll have to look at the time trial stuff in the main game. They were like the one thing I ignored lol.

Also, I swear to god I'm gonna see how far I can throw a Dualsense in a minute. This 4th goddamn tower is honestly the worst section I've played in ANY Sonic game. I'd rather play 06 again than carry on with this stupid tower.

You know what I hope they add in the next game?
A goddamn shadow.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I finally did the Master Koco Trial...
Never again.

The difficulty jump from the base game to this DLC is probably the largest I can think of in a game. I honestly couldn't understand what was making hard mode different from just picking normal mode, but now I fully understand, jesus christ.

I did Titan 1 fairly slow (I'd managed it at 365 rings, but got it to 339 rings on my winning attempt), Titan 2 I got super duper lucky and managed to parry the tail swipe twice to keep me in the fight part of phase 2, so the triangle and circle prompt into QTE twice, and finished on 214 rings, and Titan 3 I messed up the first quick cyloop so had to manually do phase 1, but sorta caught it in a stunlock until 3/4 HP and managed to quick cyloop eventually to finish off the phase, then for phase 2 I choked and missed throwing the buzzsaw at it like 6 or 7 times lmao, but once I did I just used my second quick cyloop to finish it off, and ended it at 109 rings.

I'll try the final part tonight.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
God I'm just so addicted to playing Project 06 everyday, I finished just about every trial level with Sonic and I love it. It's just such a great fun 3D sonic game.

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Just got back from the Sonic Symphony in Seattle

Incredible. Every single person there was a fan, and everyone loved talking about the series.

I was so happy. 🥲

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
God I'm just so addicted to playing Project 06 everyday, I finished just about every trial level with Sonic and I love it. It's just such a great fun 3D sonic game.
Kinda crazy how good P-06 is considering the original game. It's pretty much all the same level design as the original too. If you like P-06, you might like the gameplay of Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 so give those a try as well. Oh, and there's this indie Sonic-like as well that has pretty fun gameplay:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnkZQvB3ZBw&pp=ygUPc3BhcmsgMyB0cmFpbGVy

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from the Sonic Symphony in Seattle

Incredible. Every single person there was a fan, and everyone loved talking about the series.

I was so happy. 🥲

I went to it in Atlanta on Dec 29th. A transcendent experience, quite literally one of, if not the best live show I've ever been to.

So glad you got to go Beef. And I could not recommend it more to rest of the folks here. Seriously if it comes to your town GO. You will regret it if you don't.

View: https://twitter.com/ProfessorBeef/status/1743502906769469677

an idea that started as trailer music for a sonic generations mod lolol

The crowd sounds great, but I gotta say our crowd was NUTS even compared to this. Everyone was on their feet. Was so sick.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda crazy how good P-06 is considering the original game. It's pretty much all the same level design as the original too. If you like P-06, you might like the gameplay of Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 so give those a try as well. Oh, and there's this indie Sonic-like as well that has pretty fun gameplay:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnkZQvB3ZBw&pp=ygUPc3BhcmsgMyB0cmFpbGVy

Yep thankfully researching fangames and sonic-clones and I found these jester games, got all 3 during the winter sale along with almost all sonics so I'll get to those! I just want to finish the first spark game which is really good btw. Not sure if I like freedom planet 1 more though.

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The crowd sounds great, but I gotta say our crowd was NUTS even compared to this. Everyone was on their feet. Was so sick.
People lost their shit for Studiopolis, I couldn't believe it lol

It wasn't like the crowd was dead or anything, but the room practically exploded when those opening notes came on

Same thing whenever Shadow was on screen, people LOVE him

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People lost their shit for Studiopolis, I couldn't believe it lol

It wasn't like the crowd was dead or anything, but the room practically exploded when those opening notes came on

Same thing whenever Shadow was on screen, people LOVE him

They started the 2nd half right off with I Am All of Me and yeah everybody lost their fucking minds, my friend and I being absolutely in that group. Always Stan for Shadow. Always.

I know he's not in the best graces right now because of his work on Superstars, but man was it not so sick to see Jun do his thing live? The man fucking shredded.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
I know he's not in the best graces right now because of his work on Superstars, but man was it not so sick to see Jun do his thing live? The man fucking shredded.

superstars is one of my fav parts of the show actually

i think the show (and the 30th stream prior) was solidly in two camps of repertoire:

completely new orchestral arrangements of Sonic music
the vocal band stuff very close to the original versions, but with orchestral backing

the superstars segment symbolizes a new type of repertoire that's band stuff but a new arrangement specific to/premiered at the tour. i'd love for the tour to explore more of this kind of thing

seems to have been received really well too

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
superstars is one of my fav parts of the show actually

i think the show (and the 30th stream prior) was solidly in two camps of repertoire:

completely new orchestral arrangements of Sonic music
the vocal band stuff very close to the original versions, but with orchestral backing

the superstars segment symbolizes a new type of repertoire that's band stuff but a new arrangement specific to/premiered at the tour. i'd love for the tour to explore more of this kind of thing

seems to have been received really well too

The Superstars regiment of the show was FANTASTIC. And generally I agree with you. But it's hard to deny a lot of his work on Superstars was…well let's say missed the mark.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
apKrGGP.jpeg

Godly humans.

My friend and I are heavily considering traveling to NC for the show in March. It was just so good…we want to be back.

Jun looks so god damn happy bahahah.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
apKrGGP.jpeg

Godly humans.

My friend and I are heavily considering traveling to NC for the show in March. It was just so good…we want to be back.

Jun looks so god damn happy bahahah.

I would strongly consider going again if they came back to the UK this year. Regret not hanging around inside earlier or staying after as I didn't really get to meet anyone. Just stuck with a couple friends. Next time I would bring a better mask though.

Now I feel bad about pointing this out but Jun isn't in that pic. Just watched some videos of the Atlanta performance and he isn't in them either. I think you've mistaken Shota Nakama (plays and is producer for the show) for Jun. They play together when he's on in other shows. Keyboardist fills in some of his solos otherwise. Perhaps an even better reason to go again (If he's there)!

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would strongly consider going again if they came back to the UK this year. Regret not hanging around inside earlier or staying after as I didn't really get to meet anyone. Just stuck with a couple friends. Next time I would bring a better mask though.

Now I feel bad about pointing this out but Jun isn't in that pic. Just watched some videos of the Atlanta performance and he isn't in them either. I think you've mistaken Shota Nakama (plays and is producer for the show) for Jun. They play together when he's on in other shows. Keyboardist fills in some of his solos otherwise. Perhaps an even better reason to go again (If he's there)!

Damn, no thanks for the correction. I swear to god when he came out the introduced him as Jun. But maybe I was just so caught up in it I misheard something? Maybe they said playing for Jun or something. But I know they called him out when Shota came out.

I know him way more for his sound than his looks, so I just assumed that was him.