Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Ray almost feels designed solely for Time Attacking, to be honest. He seems great for bypassing certain things (and retaining momentum while doing so seems to be the main learning curve he has) once you've completely mastered a route through a level, but outside of that, I can see him being a little boring.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
His ability doesn't seem to fit the stage designs at all. It's the Mario World problem of "cape competency = you skip over the meat of the actual game" but worse because there don't even seem to be notable payoffs in the levels that are designed to be found with it either.

Like someone else put it earlier, his design already comes across more like a template of a Sonic character than a fully designed Sonic character, so he has to lean on the gameplay to save him imo, and I don't really have any hopes for that either.
Right, makes sense

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
On the other side of the coin, Mighty straight up says fuck you to anything that isn't a crush death, drowning or some boss attacks and it's a total blast.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that I thought from the initial trailers that Mighty's unique quirks were gonna be half baked, and it turns out he's the game breaker, lovely.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I agree with what was said about the problem with the cape in Super Mario World, but Sonic levels are usually much denser. Outside of situations like Green Hill Zone, I think the player cannot really skip much of any levels by flying around with Ray.

Looking forward to flying around with Super Ray though. That seems crazy fun.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Some of the early logo concepts in the art book are really neat. The ones that have "Mania" written in the Mega Drive and Sega Genesis look pretty neat.

Overall, I think the final logo is better, though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have Sonic Mania Plus preordered for Switch but does it come with a physical cart?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I was watching an IGN vid of encore mode: can Mighty not be be hurt by spikes?
I'm sure I saw him sort of flip off them.

Deleted member 18113

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question, but if I buy vanilla Sonic Mania (download on Switch) today and tomorrow get dlc, I'll be saving 5 bucks?

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I already got Mania on PS4, PC, and Switch but now I'm buying Mania Plus (physical) on PS4 and getting it (digitally) on Switch and PC.

What am I doing with my life?

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It's pretty fun seeing what will and won't damage Mighty. For example, if he jumps into the spiked fists of the Death Egg robot (even in the middle of extending them), he bounces off of them as if they were regular spikes. And he can freely jump into the Press Garden mid-boss' sawblades while it's idling around. Doesn't make the battle easier or anything, but it's neat.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I hope so. That boss actually completely ruined that game for me on every replay I tried, so I definitely won't get the dlc if it's still the same.

Saw the retail version in store today, didn't realize it was coming out already. Hopefully I can look forward to it.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Well, I hope so. That boss actually completely ruined that game for me on every replay I tried, so I definitely won't get the dlc if it's still the same.

Saw the retail version in store today, didn't realize it was coming out already. Hopefully I can look forward to it.

A single minute-long boss ruins an entire game for you? What?

Like, it's certainly not a well executed boss, but it isn't that big of a hurdle.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
There hasn't been a boss that so completely ruined a game for me in 20 years of gaming, as that boss did on every retry of the game. He's singlehandedly the reason I completely deleted the game of my drive. It's funny because on the first playthrough of the game I got past him first try and thought nothing of him and loved my playthrough of the game, but every playthrough after he has made a point of showing how atrocious of a designed battle he is. Combine that with having to replay one of the most mediocre levels in the game just to get back to one of the worst boss battles I know and yeah, that single minute boss turns into a hour of agony and a game ruining boss in my book. I definitely made it a point to not redownload the game until that boss got changed for my own sanity.

I know I wasn't the only one that has complained about that boss, so I hope they actually listened to the feedback. I definitely heard about a different boss getting changed because it wasn't that good, so I hope they did it for this one as well.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I can definitely see how it might give someone trouble, but it's a pretty easy pattern to figure out and pretty simple if you play it safe. It's not a great boss by any stretch but it was never more than a small roadblock for me.

The boss that actually did get changed needed it far more, I think.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
A friend of mine had a lot of issues with the Oil Ocean Zone act 2 boss too. I think a big thing for her was how she would panic and go out of her way to attack it as fast as possible every time it came out. It is naturally one of the longest bosses so I can understand.

MrPanic I checked out that boss in a video and it seemed to shoot bullets in a different way than I recalled (might be mistaken here). The big change now though is that dropped rings slowly sink in the oil now instead of immediately falling off of the screen. Hope that makes the game more enjoyable for ya!

trinitron

Oct 28, 2017
Switch version no longer has frame rate drops right? I saw someone mention that they didn't see the frame rate drops anymore, on pg43 or so of this thread?

Still trying to decide if I want to buy the physical copy on Switch or PS4 tomorrow!

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Switch version no longer has frame rate drops right? I saw someone mention that they didn't see the frame rate drops anymore, on pg43 or so of this thread?

Still trying to decide if I want to buy the physical copy on Switch or PS4 tomorrow!
The only drops were in the Special Stages which are have been smoothed out, though I think there's still a couple of very minor drops in the first special stage. Regular gameplay has always been a rock solid 60fps on all platforms.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine had a lot of issues with the Oil Ocean Zone act 2 boss too. I think a big thing for her was how she would panic and go out of her way to attack it as fast as possible every time it came out. It is naturally one of the longest bosses so I can understand.

MrPanic I checked out that boss in a video and it seemed to shoot bullets in a different way than I recalled (might be mistaken here). The big change now though is that dropped rings slowly sink in the oil now instead of immediately falling off of the screen. Hope that makes the game more enjoyable for ya!
Oh snap, that's actually a big change as the main problem is getting hit while trying to attack him, so actually being able to pick up rings while down there should be huge.

Faith restored, will pick up the dlc whenever it hits.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Well, I made the OT for the last main Sonic game and I am at least gonna be one of the people working on the ASR one, so I don't think it would be appropriate for me to hog an OT for this game, that and it's not primarily my cup of tea.

But someone SHOULD make one.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Well, I made the OT for the last main Sonic game and I am at least gonna be one of the people working on the ASR one, so I don't think it would be appropriate for me to hog an OT for this game, that and it's not primarily my cup of tea.

But someone SHOULD make one.
HotColdman was making it but bailed for computer problems. I figured someone would have stepped up by now but I guess not. Not sure if I can manage doing it right this second, but if nothing shows up today I will step in.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Blazehedgehog released his Sonic Mania review video.

I agreed with a good deal of his points but maybe not as strongly as him. Regardless, it's a good watch.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the patch is live on Steam. Verify cache if the update isn't already queued.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Does anyone know if you can continue in Encore when all your characters die, like reload your save and start the zone over(like in the normal mode)? I keep seeing you can earn continues but are those continues to start from a checkpoint or if you run out is it truly game over, start the entire game over. That would suck. I don't mind difficulty but the threat of having to start completely over is a bummer.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Does anyone know if you can continue in Encore when all your characters die, like reload your save and start the zone over(like in the normal mode)? I keep seeing you can earn continues but are those continues to start from a checkpoint or if you run out is it truly game over, start the entire game over. That would suck. I don't mind difficulty but the threat of having to start completely over is a bummer.
You can.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
You couldn't trust me with this OT, I'd make it Mighty Mania.

On that note, time to see if Plus is up in PAL land

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked the patch on switch to see if the Oil Ocean boss was indeed fixed. While the rings don't get stuck in the oil like someone said before, they made the boss battle just way easier than it was before. It only shoots the laser two times before the Eggman pops up (even tho the lasers weren't really the problem in the first place) and during the attack Eggman part the turrets seem to shoot in a pattern that makes it real hard to get hit by them. I probably preferred it if they made the rings more recoverable instead of making the whole boss battle easier since the boss itself wasn't actually hard in the first place, the primarily problem was it could get cheap shots on you while being stuck in oil and thus being often unable to recover a single ring.

But yeah, the turrets don't shoot towards you at all anymore, so at least the main problem with the boss got fixed. Perhaps a bit over-nerved, but at least he won't be ruining any runs anymore. Grabbed the dlc after confirming the boss change, looking forward to loving this game again.