Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I'll put this to the test. In my mind Sonic's still one of the greats.
Sonic games I like/love:

Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic 1 Master System
Sonic CD
Sonic Spinball (yes, really)
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Advance
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure
Sonic Colours
Sonic Colours DS
Sonic Generations
Sonic Mania
Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing
Sonic Racing Transformed
Tails Adventure

Then there's some games I've enjoyed but I'm more mixed on, like Sonic and the Secret Rings and Lost World. Unleashed is a game I also got a lot of enjoyment out of. The problem is that the amount of shit in that game sours the good parts. I also, and I kid you not, got a decent amount of enjoyment out of Sonic 06.

I love Sonic and I am not ashamed.

Oct 25, 2017
ok real talk, it's not as bad as in those threads but you'll still occasionally get assholes parachuting into threads about the good Sonic games, appreciating its music etc. trolling about DeviantArt fan art and shit.

Sonic Mania threads in particular were super bad about this, people out of the loop just taking the opportunity to shit on the game constantly because it was a new Sonic game.

fwiw I think Era is better about this than its predecessor was.
I mean yeah, you'll get a handful of troll posts exclaiming "SONIC WAS NEVER GUD lel" or pull up the infamous "Elise kissing Sonic" picture, but almost all major franchises suffer from similar noise. Just yesterday there were legitimate posts citing FFXV as an actual two out of ten. Report the assholes. Challenge them. They do the same shit in Spyro/Crash threads, Sonic is no exception.

But no one should be ashamed of being a Sonic fan because of people on the internet, they should be ashamed of how Sega/SonicTeam have consistently vomited over such a valuable IP.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
It just looks like a higher budget, made-for-TV kids' movie. You've got some 90s nostalgia thrown in for the parents, but it has not been given the budget to prioritise their demographic like Detective Pikachu.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I mean yeah, you'll get a handful of troll posts exclaiming "SONIC WAS NEVER GUD lel" or pull up the infamous "Elise kissing Sonic" picture, but almost all major franchises suffer from similar noise. Just yesterday there were legitimate posts citing FFXV as an actual two out of ten. Report the assholes. Challenge them. They do the same shit in Spyro/Crash threads, Sonic is no exception.

But no one should be ashamed of being a Sonic fan because of people on the internet, they should be ashamed of how Sega/SonicTeam have consistently vomited over such a valuable IP.
Summed up better than I could put it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Sonic games I like/love:

Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic 1 Master System
Sonic CD
Sonic Spinball (yes, really)
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Advance
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure
Sonic Colours
Sonic Colours DS
Sonic Generations
Sonic Mania
Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing
Sonic Racing Transformed
Tails Adventure

Then there's some games I've enjoyed but I'm more mixed on, like Sonic and the Secret Rings and Lost World. Unleashed is a game I also got a lot of enjoyment out of. The problem is that the amount of shit in that game sours the good parts. I also, and I kid you not, got a decent amount of enjoyment out of Sonic 06.

I love Sonic and I am not ashamed.

You have great taste. Thank you for sharing the love:)

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no.

I chuckled at the "yes, but it's not my child" bit.

...But then they ruined it by having the people comment on it.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
I legit can't say if people here and there saying this is not too bad are serious or not.

I mean, opinions and all, but even neglecting the horrible man-hog design, heck even if you don't know one single thing about Sonic, every single second of the trailer screams C-tier movie, no actually C-tier movie FROM THE 90's, straight into Super Mario Bros. territory.

I mean, I can maybe see it ending up a "so bad it's kinda good" flick out of pure cheesiness in the best case scenario, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

Oct 28, 2017
I legit can't say if people here and there saying this is not too bad are serious or not.

I mean, opinions and all, but even neglecting the horrible man-hog design, heck even if you don't know one single thing about Sonic, every single second of the trailer screams C-tier movie, no actually C-tier movie FROM THE 90's, straight into Super Mario Bros. territory.

I mean, I can maybe see it ending up a "so bad it's kinda good" flick out of pure cheesiness in the best case scenario, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I dunno. Movie looks fun to me. Not taking itself too seriously. Robotnik seems cool. There's really not a lot to hate for me. Sonic's design is bad but other than that I really don't hate anything about it at this point. But my expectations were at zero.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Honestly if they give Robotnik Carrey equal screen time to sonic and make it as much his movie this could turn out really good on him alone, they definitely got an actor who can pull it off

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Lol at Sonic's design. Can't believe they went like: Yeah, looks good, that's the design we are going with. LMAO!

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
First trailer I couldn't even finish watching. That's an achievement, I suppose. As is this being the second-worst thing to happen to Gangsta's Paradise.

First place goes to this, for the record:

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best outcomes of this trailer is that the Gangsta's Paradise music video on Youtube is being flooded with Sonic comments.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow... how many eyeballs did this pass without one of them saying "Yeah, no... let's just cancel this project...?"

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing. I am so very, very excited to see this movie. We were never going to get anything great, so an utter train wreck is the best possible result. Guys, this movie is going to be a ton of fun to watch with friends.

Jan 10, 2018
The movie can still be okay, but the trailer is really bad.

1. All what they tell us about Sonic, the titular character, is that:
1. He is fast
2. He quips(bad but still)
3. He loses hair (awful lot of time invested in it, without giving any good reason to care)
4. He saves the world(why him? Why should we care? From whom or what?)

2. James Marsden is in it. That is all what I can say about his character.

3. That other woman is in it. I don't even know if she is a main character.

4. They actually spent the most amount to establish Jim Carreys Eggman. One of the reason he works.

5. Unironic use of Gangstas Paradise.

Now compare it to Detective Pikachu.
They established a emotional core and stake with Justice Smith being frustrated and in search of his dad. The introduction of Pikachu is handled with a sense of wonder (Pikachu talks) and humour(Pikachu talks!). And they hinted a big adventure.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'm still extremely confused as to why Sonic looks like a dude in a suit. That's what makes it incredibly weird and gross to look at. Not sure wtf they were thinking with that move.

A normal (game-like) Sonic model with the furr/quills would still look much better than this mess. Shame, considering that they nailed Robotnik (even if it's sequel bait that will never happen) too.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
How was it known gangstas paradise was the song? Due to a leak of the trailer?

Any links to that original info drop? I just find this insane, not good way.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
There must be something very wrong with me, because aside from how Sonic looks, I thought the trailer was actually pretty decent. Casting Carrey as Robotnik was a great move, he looks great in it.

I'm actually sort of unironically looking forward to this movie now.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, sonic looks bad design wise but the film itself doesn't look as terrible as everyone is making it seem.
No one expected a video game movie about a super speed hedgehog to be an academy nominee and this movie looks fun enough especially with Carrey as Robotnik

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
I've done a complete 180. I'll never fully like this design for Sonic but apart from the 'teeth' scene I'm pretty ok with how he looks, sitting in the car and in the action scene taking on the tank. I'm also on board for a Robotnik origin story.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, Jim Carrey looks like a delight, and the scene where Sonic plays with the missiles was pretty cool, at least conceptually.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
So my understanding is they gave him more of a humanoid form to fit in the real world it's an interesting idea perhaps it will be a fun watch.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised there are so many people feeling what we have seen of Jim Carey's performance. It looks like a bad impression of 90's era Carey. Once again, I'm definitely HARD in. However, you people need to accept that this is going to be a crime against humanity. A delightful, glorious, hideous crime.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Seems right around the quality level it should be for Sonic the hedgehog unfortunately. Blue furball can't catch a break.