• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
Took the kids today, pretty solid family movie + references / homages to the games were pretty well done.

The green Hill piano theme finally playing towards the end was the Cherry on top

Jim Carrey turning into the video game version of Dr robotnik at the end as well really tied it together

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.indiewire.com

‘Sonic’ Redesign Cost Paramount Nowhere Near the $35 Million That’s Been Rumored

A source close to production tells IndieWire the rumor the redesign cost $35 million is blown out of proportion.

Says it costed $5m
It also says this:
The source tells IndieWire that any rumor alleging the redesign made the "Sonic" VFX team suffer is far from true.
Which, well, I guess it's likely that the VFX team didn't do more than the usual horrifying amount of overtime. Even without the news that the VFX studio had to do a lot of overtime on the movie and was closed down before its release, it seems unlikely that this report was true.

Anyway, this more recent Hollywood Reporter article says the production budget was $81 million.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
It also says this:

Which, well, I guess it's likely that the VFX team didn't do more than the usual horrifying amount of overtime. Even without the news that the VFX studio had to do a lot of overtime on the movie and was closed down before its release, it seems unlikely that this report was true.

Anyway, this more recent Hollywood Reporter article says the production budget was $81 million.
The same studio has worked on other projects including CATS and The Lion King if I recall, so I doubt Sonic alone made that big of an impact, especially since most of the extra work would involve creating the new model, not re-animating.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same studio has worked on other projects including CATS and The Lion King if I recall, so I doubt Sonic alone made that big of an impact, especially since most of the extra work would involve creating the new model, not re-animating.
They did have to re-animate scenes that were already done, it's not like they could just use the animations they did for the old model on the new model. Though iirc there weren't that many scenes they finished animating regardless.

Point is, it's incredibly likely that they did suffer from crunch, because the VFX work on just about every movie includes crunch. From what I understand, the VFX industry is pretty fucked.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Let Pikachu die

Kill it, if you have to

Sheesh, well at least till they do a real pokemon movie. Something that doesn't involve Ash, but at least involves pokemon trainers. Ryan has plenty of work to fall back on, don't bring back Justice, not as a lead anyway.... DP was a great first step but i know pokemon fans who skipped out on it cause it looked uninteresting. Not sure how they would do a direct sequel anyway, if they do they definently need to take it outside of rhyme city...

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
They did have to re-animate scenes that were already done, it's not like they could just use the animations they did for the old model on the new model. Though iirc there weren't that many scenes they finished animating regardless.

Point is, it's incredibly likely that they did suffer from crunch, because the VFX work on just about every movie includes crunch. From what I understand, the VFX industry is pretty fucked.
Supposedly, the scenes in the trailer were basically all that they had done before the redesign.
Yeah, that's what I meant by the fact that reanimating wouldn't have been as big a part of the redesign. It's pretty standard for VFX work to be for trailers first. By the time of a first trailer, that's most likely all they have ready for any movie...and even without a major redesign those scenes could still be reworked for the final cut.

Basically, yeah, the industry is terrible. I simply meant that Sonic alone is hardly the only reason the company shut down.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
if they do they definently need to take it outside of rhyme city...

One nice looking location was expensive enough. I can't even imagine them attempting half as many as the average Pokemon game has. They would probably do a localized tournament if they even do go with battles which are kind of already hard to portray in a realistic style.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Sonic is really slowing down. Gunna be extremely close. Just looked it up on Box Office Mojo. It's not even gunna come close to DP's WW total, though.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I can see the coronavirus affecting domestic numbers as well, to be honest. If Sonic's numbers drop off a cliff this week I'm inclined to think it won't be because of anything the film did wrong.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I can see the coronavirus affecting domestic numbers as well, to be honest. If Sonic's numbers drop off a cliff this week I'm inclined to think it won't be because of anything the film did wrong.

Yeah there is already a Corona panic in EU too.

I don't think the suits at Paramount doubt for a second the release timing + the virus panic didn't cause things to slow down more than they would have.

Movie was doing solid for a while, this kind of drop don't typically happen all of a sudden.

It hasn't even come out in China yet due to the virus which is really hurting its numbers.

Not in japan either.
Lack of WW release + outbreak definitely hurt it.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
if that Deadline estimate holds yea, it will get back to a $10 million lead.

then Monday it will drop down to an ~$8 million lead.

then I don't see it ever gaining any ground, question will be how much it will fall behind. Will be close.

It just went back to about a $12m lead. It had a larger third weekend than Pikachu and How to Train Your Dragon 3.

It only has about $15.8m more to go now. It is a foregone conclusion after a weekend that big.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

It just went back to about a $12m lead. It had a larger third weekend than Pikachu and How to Train Your Dragon 3.

It only has about $15.8m more to go now. It is a foregone conclusion after a weekend that big.

tenor.gif

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Last friday both my wife and I got to watch it. It was quite enjoyable, very average and cliché-ridden but the pace was correct and ended up being okay, which is nice taking into account it's Sonic we are talking about.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Whoa, doing $ 7,7 million in its third saturday is quite impressive and way above the 5,1 Pikachu grossed in its third saturday.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Much better film than Pikachu so no wonder it's doing better. Far more funny and entertaining. Gem of a movie. Succeeds at everything it tries to be.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Much better film than Pikachu so no wonder it's doing better. Far more funny and entertaining. Gem of a movie. Succeeds at everything it tries to be.

I keep reading this but it's 7 points lower than Detective Pikachu on Metacritic, and 5 points lower on RT.

(Haven't seen it yet so I'm just intrigued as to why everyone keep saying it's a better movie excepted movie critics.)

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
I keep reading this but it's 7 points lower than Detective Pikachu on Metacritic, and 5 points lower on RT.

(Haven't seen it yet so I'm just intrigued as to why everyone keep saying it's a better movie excepted movie critics.)

Sometimes films just resonate more with audiences than critics. Sonic has a 93% Audience rating on RT while Pikachu has a 79% from a similar number of reviews (~16000). I think it has a higher Cinemascore rating too.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Sometimes films just resonate more with audiences than critics. Sonic has a 93% Audience rating on RT while Pikachu has a 79% from a similar number of reviews (~16000). I think it has a higher Cinemascore rating too.
Yeah, most of the negative critics I saw were just weird in their critic. They didn't give it the context of what it was...a family and kids flick...and instead were looking at it like it was supposed to be some sort of high art film project. Somebody went so far as ask why they didn't get deep into Dr. Robotnik's involvement in the military-industrial complex...yeah, that's always kind of been an undertone of the series, but it's not exactly something that's put to the forefront, especially in a kids flick. lol

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly Sonic is doing way better outside of the US than I expected it to without China. That's the biggest surprise as far as I'm concerned.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean Sanic is the biggest franchise in the world?

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Just pointing out that it could have legs as horrible as BvS from this point on and still beat Pikachu.

Ah I get ya.

But Batman vs Superman ended up earning 5-6 times in the US what it earned it's opening weekend

Sonic isn't going to earn 5-6 times it's opening weekend haul, not is it going to earn 5-6 times this last weekend haul...Sonic wishes it it Batman vs Superman legs!

yea even comparing to Lego Movie 2 (which opened around the same time)...after its 3rd weekend it went on to earn another $22 million in Feb/March....so yea Sonic should be able to do that at this point (unless it really craters spectacularly next weekend)

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020

no. Just the US.

and really, only because Sonic didn't open during when the highest grossing movie ever was still in theaters :P

Pikachu opening weekend had Endgame still earning like $70 million in 2nd place...Sonic had...the photograph and birds of prey? Lol

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Ah I get ya.

But Batman vs Superman ended up earning 5-6 times in the US what it earned it's opening weekend

Sonic isn't going to earn 5-6 times it's opening weekend haul, not is it going to earn 5-6 times this last weekend haul...Sonic wishes it it Batman vs Superman legs!

yea even comparing to Lego Movie 2 (which opened around the same time)...after its 3rd weekend it went on to earn another $22 million in Feb/March....so yea Sonic should be able to do that at this point (unless it really craters spectacularly next weekend)
$166m OW, $330m total

The total was 1.9x the opening weekend

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

Definitely has way more brand recognition than people on Era would have you believe.

no. Just the US.

and really, only because Sonic didn't open during when the highest grossing movie ever was still in theaters :P

Pikachu opening weekend had Endgame still earning like $70 million in 2nd place...Sonic had...the photograph and birds of prey? Lol

Are we still sticking with this Sonic isn't big worldwide narrative?
Japan =/= worldwide. Sega consoles and Sonic were very popular worldwide outside of Japan. Maybe even more than Nintendo.

There are many factors that are going to affect the Sonic movie's worldwide numbers.

And yea ofc Endgame was there. Thats what happens when you release in summer. You get the big hitters but you also get far more people going to the movies. So its a fair trade off.

Oh damn. Yea, it's beating DP.

I don't think it will since all movies seem to be doing poorly in most Asian countries. Nobody wants to risk getting sick. You got stuff like the olympics

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the Mega Drive bigger than the SNES in South America and the UK? It wouldn't just be the U.S. that's into Sonic.

It's pretty clear that even I, a guy who really likes Sonic, underestimated how many people like Sonic. That IP is as relevant as ever. We always think of the core platformers, but then you think of the racing games, the other spinoffs, the F2P stuff on mobile, the cartoons, the comic books...

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the Mega Drive bigger than the SNES in South America and the UK? It wouldn't just be the U.S. that's into Sonic.

It's pretty clear that even I, a guy who really likes Sonic, underestimated how many people like Sonic. That IP is as relevant as ever. We always think of the core platformers, but then you think of the racing games, the other spinoffs, the F2P stuff on mobile, the cartoons, the comic books...

In many 3rd world countries such as India. Nintendo never really bothered releasing their consoles. Sega on the other hand had a much bigger push. So if you wanted a video game you either bought the Megadrive or one of those fake 8bit clones. They even had distributors for the Dreamcast. While you had to rely on shady grey market importers to buy hugely successful systems like the Gameboy.

Thats why Sony and PS is such a big deal worldwide. They already had a huge presence with their electronics and they were able to use that distribution for Playstation too.

Ofc none of this has huge payoffs since sales in these countries usually don't lead to much. Games are mostly pirated or sold at very low prices with delayed releases. Probably why Nintendo never really bothered all that much. Selling 20% more consoles in just Japan probably has a much bigger sales impact than many countries put together.