Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
They should put one of the Frontiers cyber stages that is copied from Generations back into Shadow Generations as a new stage.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
lolwut
So why does he look like Sonic?
If it was ever canon, it's certainly decanonized by now, but the dialog in game can be taken as subtle hints that Sonic is actually the ultimate lifeform. There's also some backstory from the game's Japanese strategy guide that poses the question if Shadow was created on the Ark, or if he was created by Gerald at the GUN base where Eggman later uncovers him. There's some deliberate obfuscation by mention of an unrecovered capsule from the Ark. The tl;dr of the theory is that Sonic could have been the original creation on the Ark, and Shadow was made as a shadow of Sonic's image and implanted with false memories. It doesn't 100% make sense when looking critically at it, but is fun to ponder.
However, there was only one miscalculation in this operation: when this operation was carried out, Pr. Gerald had already almost completed the ultimate life form "Shadow" using another base body. When the GUN Special Forces raided the research institute, the fleeing Gerald entrusted it to his granddaughter Maria, and it is confirmed that an escape capsule was ejected toward the surface at that time. (The whereabouts of the capsule at that time are still unknown to this day.)

As a result, Gerald was subsequently captured by Special Forces and imprisoned on Prison Island, where he was eventually forced to continue his research on the ultimate life form, "Shadow," apparently under orders from GUN. Now that Shadow the Hedgehog is no more, there is no way to know whether the Shadow sealed on Prison Island was a replica created by Gerald or the real Shadow that was ejected toward the surface and recovered...
The rest is at the link, but that's the relevant part.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
They are remastering literally everything but Unleashed, someone at SEGA hates me 😭

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Now see that's the thing, of course Shadow would have a classic design

How do you think the aesthetic treated him during 3&K? He was just sleeping is all

View: https://twitter.com/teamsnowglobeco/status/1257834048228962304

But that's not how Sega treats it. Classic Sonic is how Sonic looked in the past. This thread is about a remaster of the game first cemented that Classic vs Modern is not just an artstyle difference since the whole game is about Classic and Modern teaming up. Can't put that genie back in the cryotube!
shadowwish.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just want a console version of Sonic Adventure 1 that isn't based on the shitty DX version.

Give me the Dreamcast version in widescreen, 60 FPS, and the unlockables in from the later versions. Basically the PC version with the BetterSADX mod but on console.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
But that's not how Sega treats it. Classic Sonic is how Sonic looked in the past. This thread is about a remaster of the game first cemented that Classic vs Modern is not just an artstyle difference since the whole game is about Classic and Modern teaming up. Can't put that genie back in the cryotube!
shadowwish.gif
And see that's why Generations secretly sucks

Screw Gens let the art style switch free like the wind once more

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Its been enough time that a new Era could get 3 games/levels. Lost World, Mania & Forces if we were conservative and Frontiers/Superstars were too new. If this happens, new Rival & Boss fights should be Classic Sonic's, OG Generations had Modern have more than Classic. But even this feels bit much.

...Although going by leaks, if this is more substantial than a port, they might just create Shadow stages for all 9 current levels, Act 3s one could say. But if this was case, that would also mean significant additions too.

I do feel like we are guaranteed token tie-in Animation & tie-in comic lol

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Its been enough time that a new Era could get 3 games/levels. Lost World, Mania & Forces if we were conservative and Frontiers/Superstars were too new. If this happens, new Rival & Boss fights should be Classic Sonic's, OG Generations had Modern have more than Classic. But even this feels bit much.

...Although going by leaks, if this is more substantial than a port, they might just create Shadow stages for all 9 current levels, Act 3s one could say. But if this was case, that would also mean significant additions too.

I do feel like we are guaranteed token tie-in Animation & tie-in comic lol
Now I want a modern Studiopolis level

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Heroes could honestly be a real good game if they remastered it. Fix the glitchy, slippery ass movement. Be able to turn off in-level dialog and wham. You just turned a 6/10 into an 8.5 right there.
The controls is the biggest thing they can touch up on, but the other major flaw it has is needing to play through the same game 4 separate times to unlock the final boss.

That needs to be adjusted somehow. It's too much to ask of the player.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
I just want a console version of Sonic Adventure 1 that isn't based on the shitty DX version.

Give me the Dreamcast version in widescreen, 60 FPS, and the unlockables in from the later versions. Basically the PC version with the BetterSADX mod but on console.
Fking seriously. I played BetterSADX and was shocked at how much of an upgrade it was over vanilla DX.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
If it was ever canon, it's certainly decanonized by now, but the dialog in game can be taken as subtle hints that Sonic is actually the ultimate lifeform. There's also some backstory from the game's Japanese strategy guide that poses the question if Shadow was created on the Ark, or if he was created by Gerald at the GUN base where Eggman later uncovers him. There's some deliberate obfuscation by mention of an unrecovered capsule from the Ark. The tl;dr of the theory is that Sonic could have been the original creation on the Ark, and Shadow was made as a shadow of Sonic's image and implanted with false memories. It doesn't 100% make sense when looking critically at it, but is fun to ponder.

The rest is at the link, but that's the relevant part.
None of that makes sense

orangebalt

Jan 3, 2020

I was a kid when I played DX, but I remember it being fun. I never played the Dreamcast version. What was so bad about it? I did like the DX models a lot more, but that's the only difference I know.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
This is a remaster though, not a straight port. Wasnt Colours remade in Unity? Either way, I never suggested that Generations would run well or be a simple port, I just dont see why Sega would bother without getting that Switch money, but as you say we'll see tomorrow.
You were right and it's worth saying so. Glad that this ended up being a bigger release than I expected, and Generations on Switch could be real cool.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You were right and it's worth saying so. Glad that this ended up being a bigger release than I expected, and Generations on Switch could be real cool.
Now my hope is for decent ports on day 1. While I love Sega, I am still slightly concerned they might fumble things so to speak! While I feel even if the Switch port isnt so good it'll still sell the best, I feel they really should put tons of effort into getting it as good as possible.

So here's hoping the whole thing turms out super good, maybe at a discount price because even though its excellent, its fairly short as well so Id rather not pay full price on it a second time!

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of the butchered Colors port, is there a legal reason why they could not have gone the emulated route like Mario Galaxy did on Switch?

Last edited:

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Speaking of the butchered Colors port, is there a legal reason why they could not have gone the emulated route like Mario Halaxy did on Switch?
I'm sure they just wanted to be able to advertise a handful of new features in the back of the box, and beef the graphics up ever so slightly to make it appear as current gen as possible for as cheap as possible

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure they just wanted to be able to advertise a handful of new features in the back of the box, and beef the graphics up ever so slightly to make it appear as current gen as possible for as cheap as possible

Well they failed. It does not look current gen at all. It just looks worse

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
shadowwish.gif
Dont know why people are so hung up on this specifically with a series that has played so fast & loose with the overall continuity that the very next time classic Sonic interacted with modern Sonic he was now "from another dimension" instead of the past. Like is anyone losing sleep that Sticks was mentioned in Frontiers despite being from another continuity? Was anyone super defensive of the "only male hedgehogs can turn super" mandate that only recently got overturned? Anyone particularly miffed that Sonic Superstars is in "the past" but introduces a bunch of chaos emerald powers the characters are apparently just ignoring in "future" games, including one thats basically chaos control? Sonic Team is so unbothered with keeping the moon from SA2 consistent that they handwave the numerous games where it appears full as "just having its other side turned to us" which isnt even how the moon physically works.

But having a chibi version of one of the most popular characters in the series running around in a 2d platformer is where we gotta draw the line cus tHe lOrE is suddenly super important & ironclad.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Generations being a dozen years old fucked me up. Really hoping this rerelease doesn't have a nasty catch attached but I'm hoping they rework not just the Shadow boss encounter but the final one with Time Eater
Yeah, I think Generations was the last Sonic game I've played too (besides a few minutes of Mania).

I remembered thinking it was a really good game that would probably be even better if I replayed the levels, but I never got around to it.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Dont know why people are so hung up on this specifically with a series that has played so fast & loose with the overall continuity that the very next time classic Sonic interacted with modern Sonic he was now "from another dimension" instead of the past. Like is anyone losing sleep that Sticks was mentioned in Frontiers despite being from another continuity? Was anyone super defensive of the "only male hedgehogs can turn super" mandate that only recently got overturned? Anyone particularly miffed that Sonic Superstars is in "the past" but introduces a bunch of chaos emerald powers the characters are apparently just ignoring in "future" games, including one thats basically chaos control? Sonic Team is so unbothered with keeping the moon from SA2 consistent that they handwave the numerous games where it appears full as "just having its other side turned to us" which isnt even how the moon physically works.

But having a chibi version of one of the most popular characters in the series running around in a 2d platformer is where we gotta draw the line cus tHe lOrE is suddenly super important & ironclad.
Sega is hung up on it now. After the disaster that was Sonic Forces' story and realizing fans do care they hired a lore manager to get the mess they made under control.

The story of this new game has nothing to do with Shadow exploring the classic era. It's about him revisiting his past, and they don't have to worry about it because he looked the same in the past as he does now.

Superstars got a bit weird with the super mandate again. After Origins kept Super Tails, Super Knuckles, and introduced Super Amy (still without giving them real transformations) they clarified in Superstars that they aren't actually "Super" but just have super powers.
superstars-re-confirms-that-only-sonic-likes-have-true-v0-30wxqf8925xb1.jpg

Which is dumb as fuck since they gave Trip a real Super form.

They explained in a podcast that the emerald powers in Superstars are caused by Northstar Island.

Last edited:

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017

Sonic Team crossed the bridge themselves by making Classic Sonic a younger Sonic (even though they should be close to the same age). Even if fans weren't so concerned with keeping the bed how they made it, Sonic Team themselves are clearly very invested in that continuity. Forces was a big mistake that they walked back (and depending on who you ask, a completely fake misunderstanding but that's a different can of worms).

The 'Only male hedgehogs' thing is both very misunderstood and even completely upheld by Origins/Superstars, not the opposite. And even though it isn't in the game itself, there is apparently a concrete lore reason as to why the Emerald powers only occur on the North Star Islands behind the scenes (along with apparently a lot of background story and lore).

The truth is that Sega are very much trying to keep things consistent now more than ever. Recently there have been and will continue to be bumps in the road regarding that as they work back from the beginning to reassess everything but they are currently in a transitional period that will take time before rippling out into the wider series. They could obviously throw it all out again but right now this is how things are.

Jarchafiend

Apr 24, 2021
lolwut
So why does he look like Sonic?
There's a fairly popular theory that Gerald Robotnik based Shadow off of the Super Sonic mural featured in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, hence his quills looking exactly the same as Super Sonic's from that era. Another big part of that theory is that the Biolizard was based off of the Perfect Chaos mural from Sonic Adventure 1.

Kim-Jordan

Feb 4, 2024
Hey, I don't know if Black Doom's voice actor gonna be?
Also, Sonic X Shadow Generations is Sonic Generations Ultimate, right?

Tails' Voice Actor should be Colleen Ann O'Shaughnessey
Knuckles' Voice Actor should be Dave Mitchell
Blaze's Voice Actor should be Erica Lindbeck
Silver's Voce Actor should be Bryce Papenbrook

Last edited: