• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
I guess it being more isn't too surprising given the different title. If it was just playable shadow in the original Generations it'd be relegated to a "New Funky Mode" type blurb on the box.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm alone on this, but I would love if the narrative got a complete overhaul. I was so disappointed with how hollow the handling of Sonic crossing paths with old events and characters felt. There was so much potential for Sonic returning to scenes like the battle with Perfect Chaos, interacting with Tikal, reflecting on that time, or with the boss battle against Shadow, etc. We mostly got a stone-faced Sonic and maybe 20 seconds of a fancy arrival, but nothing more.

I think Sonic Team was still feeling shame from the "NO CUTSCENES, NO FRIENDS, I JUST WANT PLAY" crowd, because it really felt like they deliberately did the minimum narrative required. In my eyes, a celebration of the Sonic games meant reflecting back on the touchstone moments with older characters or stories, and the original Generations fell really short of that.

Not expecting much obviously, a new story may be too much work- but it would be nice to see them brush up this barren aspect of the original game. Maybe more playable characters too.

This is real, and bigger than what most people think.

There's much more than just adding Shadow as a playable character.
Okay well now I'm not so hopeless on my wish above.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
If this is all new stuff I'm a lot more sceptical, because Forces and Frontiers are absolute disgraces when it comes to the boost gameplay (and well everything else in Forces case).

I don't particularly like Generation's gameplay, but I pray it'll be at least as good as that.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I think it is kinda valid to worry about the gameplay considering where the franchise is right now. This really throws a wrench in where I was expecting us to be headed but hopefully it's just a deviation for this.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The intro for the game has also been leaked

bruh.gif

idkwhatiexpected.gif

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Still the coolest walk/run cycle in gaming.
1000%. Shadow is a cool character design.

I'd love if we get some new stages. Radical Highway was in the 3DS version, so they've got the soundtrack made already. Westopolos from Shadow the Hedgehog. Maybe White Acropolis from Sonic 06.

I miss when Shadow got his own stages.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
1000%. Shadow is a cool character design.

I'd love if we get some new stages. Radical Highway was in the 3DS version, so they've got the soundtrack made already. Westopolos from Shadow the Hedgehog. Maybe White Acropolis from Sonic 06.

I miss when Shadow got his own stages.
Speaking of the 3DS version of Generations... man what a disappointment that was.

You could've easily had it so that the console version represented the console games while the handheld version represented the handheld games. There were even 3 proper eras you could've divided them into with Game Gear/GBA/DS. It was set up perfectly for that!

Instead we just get the #2 option for several console games with only Water Palace from Sonic Rush being bizarrely thrown into the mix as table scraps for what could've been.

What a wasted opportunity.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Surely they plan to release this on a Nintendo console (like they do every Sonic game). I'm curious if it will be Switch or Switch 2.

I guess it comes down to when this game is planned to release.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the 3DS version of Generations... man what a disappointment that was.

You could've easily had it so that the console version represented the console games while the handheld version represented the handheld games. There were even 3 proper eras you could've divided them into with Game Gear/GBA/DS. It was set up perfectly for that!

Instead we just get the #2 option for several console games with only Water Palace from Sonic Rush being bizarrely thrown into the mix as table scraps for what could've been.

To be fair that was likely a budget bottleneck. I know the 3DS title is all original assets, but they're still coming from the same core of visual development from the lead platforms and soundtrack budget that probably couldn't go any further than a couple of exclusive stage themes.

Not that I don't agree.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018

There's also just not enough difference between classic and modern Sonic in the 3DS version, especially since Classic gets the homing attack midway through the campaign, making them identical other than one having a spin dash and one having a boost.

I also think quite a few of the picks are more interesting than the ones that got in (I like Emerald Coast better than Speed Highway, and like Tropical Eesort way more than Planet Wisp).

Plus, as you said, the one random Rush stage, otherwise with levels from mainline Sonic game.

Weird package overall.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't play all of them, but I wasn't a fan, sadly. They were certainly better than the base game ones, where I disliked all but Sky Rail, but they still felt off. The visuals certainly put me off, I'll openly admit that, but it's mainly a mix of me not enjoying how boost Sonic controls in Frontiers, like why can't I either just use the main game physics or customize the boost physics too, and the fact that the fun only really comes into play when you start trying to break away from the level design by trying to skip things. With something like Unleashed or Generations, or hell the Adventure games, you can play the level as planned and have a good time, but with this DLC it's almost like they've designed it by placing all these precarious platforms and hazards, but are actually like "nah don't worry about all that, just boost dash past it". It just kinda feels like they turned the 'Unleashed playing in 3D in a 2D section' glitches into the intended way to tackle a level lol.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
So... Adventure era Sonic? Adventure gameplay?

... Adventure era voices for those versions of Sonic and Shadow?

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
If this is all new stuff I'm a lot more sceptical, because Forces and Frontiers are absolute disgraces when it comes to the boost gameplay (and well everything else in Forces case).

Frontiers' cyberspace stages being so thoroughly busted is exactly why I'm not getting my hopes up for the new content. And Sonic Generations was literally the only game that made me actively wish for paid DLC.

LMAO

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
New game, new story, new levels.

Alright i'm in; Shadow Generations as its own side of the game? Wonder if the new stages will be from the 3D games Shadow is playable in (Adventure 2, Heroes, his own game, 06, Black Knight, Forces?) or covering the games the original Generations couldn't / didn't.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I guess while I'm ranting about the 3DS version of Generations, here are the stages I would've chosen if it actually reached its full potential as a celebration of the handheld games.

GG Era
Green Hill Zone (Sonic 1) OR Green Hills Zone (Sonic 2)
Sleeping Egg Zone (Sonic Chaos)
Sunset Park Zone (Sonic Triple Trouble)
Rival fight against Fang the Sniper
Boss fight against Classic Eggman (in some mech I dunno)

Advance Era
Secret Base (Sonic Advance 1)
Music Park (Sonic Advance 2)
Route 99 OR Twinkle Snow (Sonic Advance 3)
Rival fight against Emerl (brawler fight? Or maybe Emerl copies Sonic's moves somehow)
Boss fight against Non-Aggression (maybe using the tag mechanic in Advance 3 in some way)

Rush Era
Water Palace (Sonic Rush, already in)
Haunted Ship (Sonic Rush Adventure)
Tropical Resort (Sonic Colors, already in)
Rival fight against Blaze
Boss fight against Nega Mother Wisp

...Now I'm just sad. *sigh*

Dec 8, 2023
I'm really interested in what purpose Shadow plays in this. (other than to promote Sonic 3 movie)

I should not get myself hyped, but if it were me, I'd imagine if it was some sort of alternative timeline story that occurs as a splinter reality during the Time Eater's havoc. One where Shadow was restoring the timeline, caught inside it, or something. Small level tweaks to Sonic's modern stages, new voice lines from Shadow. Could get a lot out of it with relatively low cost. Less than a "plus Bowser's Fury" situation, but enough to make you wanna dip your toes back in.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play all of them, but I wasn't a fan, sadly. They were certainly better than the base game ones, where I disliked all but Sky Rail, but they still felt off. The visuals certainly put me off, I'll openly admit that, but it's mainly a mix of me not enjoying how boost Sonic controls in Frontiers, like why can't I either just use the main game physics or customize the boost physics too, and the fact that the fun only really comes into play when you start trying to break away from the level design by trying to skip things. With something like Unleashed or Generations, or hell the Adventure games, you can play the level as planned and have a good time, but with this DLC it's almost like they've designed it by placing all these precarious platforms and hazards, but are actually like "nah don't worry about all that, just boost dash past it". It just kinda feels like they turned the 'Unleashed playing in 3D in a 2D section' glitches into the intended way to tackle a level lol.
Don't get me wrong, I'd delete boost style from Sonic in a heartbeat if I could. I'd love a return to organically designed, physics based open spaces like in SA1 stages any day. That said, if they're going to do boost, the DLC is probably the way I prefer it best, where you're encouraged to detach yourself off the beaten path and break the stages for shortcuts and secrets. It's pretty exhilarating to feel like Superman on a good run where you're literally flying in the air through stages at a breakneck speed.

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
I really, really hope any additional content is more effort than the recent games where extra "levels" are created by filling existing levels with ugly floating crates. Ideally we'd be getting a new set of 3 levels from games where Shadow had a large role, but I doubt we're going to be that lucky.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
A new Shadow game makes sense to capitalize on the hype of the upcoming movie. Hope it turns out good.