Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I have the Beam below the television and want to enhance the setup but my girlfriend doesn't want any speakers behind the sofa in the living room, which is understandable as that would put them in the middle of the room.

There's little point to left and right speakers in addition to a Beam is there? And is a Sub worthwhile with just a Beam?

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I have the Beam below the television and want to enhance the setup but my girlfriend doesn't want any speakers behind the sofa in the living room, which is understandable as that would put them in the middle of the room.

There's little point to left and right speakers in addition to a Beam is there? And is a Sub worthwhile with just a Beam?

A sub is essential with the Beam. It adds a necessary layer of depth and punch to the sound. But I felt I still needed to add something to the Beam in the room, so I picked up a pair of the Ikea Symfonisk picture frame speakers to use as surrounds, and that did the trick:

www.ikea.com

SYMFONISK picture frame w Sonos Wi-Fi speaker, black/smart - IKEA

SYMFONISK picture frame w Sonos Wi-Fi speaker, black/smart WiFi speaker and a picture frame in one makes the sound blend into the home. Choose from various interchangeable fronts, hang SYMFONISK on the wall or put it on the floor. Then enjoy fantastic sound – a collaboration between IKEA and Sonos!

Now I'm looking to swap the Beam out with the Arc, and move that Beam to another smaller room. For my use (home theater), an Arc is probably a better fit.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I was already ready to buy the Sub Mini instead of the satellites, but after the last few posts I'm not so sure anymore.

We got the Ikea Sonos speakers for the rear surrounds. They work well and are affordable. The sub mini is also more than enough for our space (pretty standard sized living room imo). We have a downstairs neighbor, so I can't imagine ever needing the full sub. We keep the sub mini at like 20/100 volume.

I live in an apartment building and I too have downstairs neighbors. The big sub would definitely be overkill, but the Sub Mini should be fine, I think. The walls, ceiling and floor seem to be isolated well, so I don't think I would disturb my neighbors with the sub. I'm not gonna blast music at full volume or anything like that.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I was already ready to buy the Sub Mini instead of the satellites, but after the last few posts I'm not so sure anymore.

I live in an apartment building and I too have downstairs neighbors. The big sub would definitely be overkill, but the Sub Mini should be fine, I think. The walls, ceiling and floor seem to be isolated well, so I don't think I would disturb my neighbors with the sub. I'm not gonna blast music at full volume or anything like that.
Like I said, do a tests of both and return within the return window.

Sound is very subjective as we're seeing here.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I had this experience too. With my old Ones I had it at +4. With the Era 300's I have it at a whopping +12 now. But once I got though a couple rounds of Truplay and finding the right placement for my room I was pretty impressed. I definitely felt like I was more so in a "bubble" of sound. I didn't really super hear the Atmos much with just the Arc prior, but with the Era 300s it's much more noticeable. Movies such a Top Gun Maverick you can hear the plan spinning around you when he spins in the plane. I can hear Tie Fighters flying overheard in Force Awakens, etc.

Now are they $900 amazing? Not really. But they are a definite upgrade from ones though imo.

Just like the Arc, almost guaranteed we'll see lots of updates to make it better. Lots of people were unhappy with the Arc as well when it first came out until a few updates in. That doesn't make it much better though now, and I agree they should have maybe done a bit more testing prior.

In terms of the center tweeter, apparently there were focus group tests where people said having it off sounded better overall. And for movies I don't really notice it. I hear sound "all around me" when watching movies; much more so then prior with my ones. Of course this is all a YMMV thing. And like I mentioned, I think they're definitely upgrades, just maybe not worth a $900 for a pair right now.
Are you having any dropping issues? Mine drops out occasionally and it's driving me fucking nuts.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017

BTW we use the *other* Ikea speakers https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/symfonisk-sonos-wifi-bookshelf-speaker-white-smart-gen-2-40506597/ like half the price of the other one linked in here. No idea what they sound like in isolation, but they work well as surrounds. Iirc reviews say they're of similar audio quality as the base Sonos speakers but won't get as loud, which again is fine for us.

chewy

May 7, 2024
Good lord the new app sucks. It doesn't look or function any better than the old app and Sonos Radio is completely broken. It just keeps asking me to authorize no matter how many ties I press it and every radio station I open gives me a "something went wrong" error. Also, that now playing tab at the bottom looks so bad.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Good lord the new app sucks. It doesn't look or function any better than the old app and Sonos Radio is completely broken. It just keeps asking me to authorize no matter how many ties I press it and every radio station I open gives me a "something went wrong" error. Also, that now playing tab at the bottom looks so bad.
Sounds like new software!

Jan 23, 2024
From what I've seen the alarm functionality is completely missing and if you have recurring alarms you can't even turn them off on the mobile app, you must use the desktop app.

This isn't even a an MVP release, this is a "fuck it, push it out" release.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't know this thread existed (or maybe I totally forgot). Just chiming in to say that I recently bought an Ark and 2 Era 300s for the rear speakers to make a "5.0" surround setup and honestly I've been kind of blown away. Even at low volumes it sounds fantastic for a small apartment living room setup. Cant recommend it enough if anyone is on the fence.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I finally made up my mind and ordered the Sub Mini two days ago.

And now I'm contemplating buying the Era 100 speakers as well.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
My Sub Mini hasn't even been delivered yet and I'm already having buyer's remorse. 🫠
I feel like the bass of my Beam 2 is good enough for me. It's not wall-shaking, obviously, but I don't actually want wall-shaking bass, so that's fine. Well, I guess I'll just have to wait until it arrives and see for myself whether I wanna keep it or not.

cptsmirnov

Sep 23, 2022
Really regret running Trueplay with the new app, it keeps failing and now my trueplay tuning from before the update is gone

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
My Sub Mini arrived. I've been trying to set it up for the last thirty minutes. The app found it immediately, but then warned that it couldn't reach it. Then it prompted me to install an update for the Sub. It still showed up as unconnected. The "Fix It" button didn't do anything. I tried to remove and re-add the WiFi connection, but the app crashed. It prompted me to install another update, but it fails to install. Now, my app is disconnected from the system. When I tap "Join an existing system", I get a success message, but it's still showing up as disconnected.

What a fucking mess.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
My Sub Mini arrived. I've been trying to set it up for the last thirty minutes. The app found it immediately, but then warned that it couldn't reach it. Then it prompted me to install an update for the Sub. It still showed up as unconnected. The "Fix It" button didn't do anything. I tried to remove and re-add the WiFi connection, but the app crashed. It prompted me to install another update, but it fails to install. Now, my app is disconnected from the system. When I tap "Join an existing system", I get a success message, but it's still showing up as disconnected.

What a fucking mess.
Yeah, the new app update really fucked a lot of stuff up.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Unlike my phone, my tablet does offer me to set up a new system. Worth trying, I guess? But it doesn't work. It's unable to find my soundbar.

I'm completely locked out of the system.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'm gonna use my sub mini as a fancy paperweight for a while and then return it. It's literally unusable.

BarcaTheGreat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not the thread to ask but asking since this is the thread related to Sonos so people be able to help me out:

Want to get a sound bar for my tv (Sony x90j), nothing too fancy. If I were to consider Sonos, where should I start? I see beam, arc, etc. Prefer to get a 2.1 system rather than using only one speaker. Any suggestions?

I know I shouldn't say this in a Sonos thread but price is bit of a factor.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not the thread to ask but asking since this is the thread related to Sonos so people be able to help me out:

Want to get a sound bar for my tv (Sony x90j), nothing too fancy. If I were to consider Sonos, where should I start? I see beam, arc, etc. Prefer to get a 2.1 system rather than using only one speaker. Any suggestions?

Could get refurbished

www.sonos.com

Beam: The Smart TV Soundbar with HDMI Input | Sonos

Bring crystal-clear, room-filling sound to your movies, TV, games, and streaming music. Turn a medium or large room into your smart home theater with three-dimensional sound from Dolby Atmos. Enjoy the comfort of voice control courtesy of Amazon Alexa. Experience the power and clarity that only...

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

What's your budget range? You can always build up a Sonos setup over time and you're paying for the ease and flexibility. There are certainly most likely better bang for your buck if budget is tight. Sonos however is good solid quality with good features and ease of setup. Think of it like how people pay a premium for Apple devices.

BarcaTheGreat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's your budget range? You can always build up a Sonos setup over time and you're paying for the ease and flexibility. There are certainly most likely better bang for your buck if budget is tight. Sonos however is good solid quality with good features and ease of setup. Think of it like how people pay a premium for Apple devices.
500 CAD... I can wait for sale, it's not urgent.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
Ooh, timing on this thread popping up as my Bose Solo 5 speaker died over the weekend and I'm looking at the Sonos Beam (Gen 2) as an upgrade, mostly for the Dolby Atmos support. My initial thinking is to get the Beam, then over the coming months slowly expand with a couple of Era 100 speakers for a surround sound effect, but I noticed the Sub Mini subwoofer and wondered if that's something that would be recommended to budget for too? The room I'd have it in is a small bedroom (4.5m x 3.5m) and so I figure maybe the soundbar and speakers would be enough.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Any small sound solutions for pc with atmos support? I know quality won't be great but I just want some surround sound/atmos effects and don't want headphones

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
500 CAD... I can wait for sale, it's not urgent.

With that budget you'll have to wait for a sale or a refurbished one directly from Sonos. Sonos does periodic sales at I believe around 20 to 25% off so if you're patient, look out for that.

Ooh, timing on this thread popping up as my Bose Solo 5 speaker died over the weekend and I'm looking at the Sonos Beam (Gen 2) as an upgrade, mostly for the Dolby Atmos support. My initial thinking is to get the Beam, then over the coming months slowly expand with a couple of Era 100 speakers for a surround sound effect, but I noticed the Sub Mini subwoofer and wondered if that's something that would be recommended to budget for too? The room I'd have it in is a small bedroom

You're not going to get good Atmos usage out of the Beam but it it is a solid surround sound setup when combined with the rear surround speakers. I find the Sub Mini to be a lot more anemic than I was expecting so it's probably worth considering the full sub instead. You can set the Sub level to fit to your liking but I'd imagine the regular sub will give it a more fuller sound. I say that from having used it in a bedroom setup.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
yay, another user experience of where did they move my cheese now?
as predicted. fucking crap. took me ten minutes of fucking with it to find "line in" as a source. actually found where i could rename my line in sources before i found where i could play them.

also pro tip: if you have more than 1 sonos, never, EVER plug more than 1 of them into your network via ethernet at a time.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
By the way, I did in fact buy the Era 100 speakers too. They're gonna get delivered tomorrow. Yay, more useless paperweights.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
The new app removing the ability to see volume level numbers completely removed my desire to ever purchase another Sonos speaker again. I don't care how great they sound, if I am in the dark on my TV and also on the app as to what volume the speakers are set at, well, that's simply not what I want from a speaker.
Is it too loud? Too quiet? Who the fuck knows, just change the volume every minute or two until you're ready to throw the speakers away.

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
I got a Sonos Beam Gen 2 and it sounds great.
Wondering is there general tips and tricks for it to make it sound best?
I find voices in some movies and stuff that I stream is very quiet while the background and music can be too loud.
General issue with streaming though I think right?
How can that be fixed?
Purchasing 2 other speakers? Or what do I need to do

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I got a Sonos Beam Gen 2 and it sounds great.
Wondering is there general tips and tricks for it to make it sound best?
I find voices in some movies and stuff that I stream is very quiet while the background and music can be too loud.
General issue with streaming though I think right?
How can that be fixed?
Purchasing 2 other speakers? Or what do I need to do
Forget about the two speakers for now, add a sub mini next.