• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
say goodbye to any competition because it's pretty much gonna be funi on their own and sentai by the side

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this is bad or good, but maybe it means I'll finally get to see the first season of Free! dubbed haha

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
VERY disappointing.

One company in hold of two of the biggest seasonal simulcast services in the entire world is not good, especially when its previous service, funimation sucked balls and didn't provide services out side of the US and very few other countries.

Netflix, HiDive and rest have small catalogs as compared to these two and barely get simulcasted anime.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
So much for competition I guess, guess I'll see what happens with them considering I'm subbed to both Crunchyroll and Funimation.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what happened to Netflix if the anime streaming industry is now a monopoly

Oct 25, 2017
say goodbye to any competition because it's pretty much gonna be funi on their own and sentai by the side
So much for competition I guess, guess I'll see what happens with them considering I'm subbed to both Crunchyroll and Funimation.
Both apps were trash fires in their own ways with a lot of crossover of the same content, just one side dubbed, one side subbed, I don't see how their competition was really helping anything, unless I'm missing something.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While VRV is probably dead, at least 90% of anime will be under the same subscription. Unless they plan to still separate Funi and Crunchy, which would be stupid.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Both apps were trash fires in their own ways with a lot of crossover of the same content, just one side dubbed, one side subbed, I don't see how their competition was really helping anything, unless I'm missing something.
Yeah, I don't really get it either. It seemed like it was just splitting the anime community for paid apps which is bad because it's so easy to pirate anime (assuming they merge them then otherwise what is the point).

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Now merge funi and cr into one service.

Edit: They are!
So what happens to those of us who are currently greeted by this on funimation?

i1SIPMj.png

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what happened to Netflix if the anime streaming industry is now a monopoly
nothing stopping them from bankrolling some animes. plenty of works that can be done and sony can't make them all. i will say that this is bad news for the animation studios since they will lose leverage since they can't have multiple companies bidding for their new shows.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funimation is complete shit in the UK so this is probably gonna suck for me. Actually kinda glad now JoJo is going to Netflix.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I can stop paying for both now….hopefully. Funimation had a really nice selection of older animes (with their post show movies included) so I paid for both this whole time.

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
i'd say that's the end goal though, yes?

Yes.

With the addition of Crunchyroll, we have an unprecedented opportunity to serve anime fans like never before and deliver the anime experience across any platform they choose, from theatrical, events, home entertainment, games, streaming, linear TV -- everywhere and every way fans want to experience their anime. Our goal is to create a unified anime subscription experience as soon as possible."

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
i'd say that's the end goal though, yes?
Yes but there's no date.

"Our goal is to create a unified anime subscription experience as soon as possible."

Sony’s Funimation Global Group Completes Acquisition of Crunchyroll from AT&T | Sony Pictures Entertainment

CULVER CITY, CA AND DALLAS, TX, August 9, 2021 — Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. (SPE) and AT&T Inc.* (NYSE:T) today announced that SPE has completed its acquisition of AT&T’s Crunchyroll anime business through Funimation Global Group, LLC. Funimation is a joint venture between SPE and Sony...

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018

Pretty much this. HiDive and Amazon Prime were the only real services that had a big differences catalog wise from Crunchyroll/Funi.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've disliked both Crunchyroll and Funimation's mobile apps, so I hope Crunchymation/Funiroll's UI is better. pls sony

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah can't wait for them to combine the subscriptions into one and lower increase the price.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I mean I dislike the anime licensing scene is basically a monopoly now because it's effectively down to just Netflix and Sony.

As far as merging of services goes, Crunchyroll's web player is lightyears better than Funimation's, but I feel like Funimation's updated console apps are also way better than Crunchyroll's lol

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
I hope that this merger will make more titles available for non-English users of Crunchyroll. That would be one silver lining to this.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm subbed to Crunchyroll but not Funimation, it was annoying when some shows were not licenced to the UK despite being on the services. I'm hoping they just get everything they've got out to all regions without having to do some workaround with VPNs or whatever.

Sony damn well better invest in the service to make it worth everyone's while.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
as I sub to both I do wonder if they will combine them into one sub or keep both brands separate.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Netflix and Amazon are only ones who can compete with Sony on the anime front.

But they don't seem too interested in that market

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Make no mistake, this is undoubtedly bad.
Yeah, I figured the more I thought about it. Funimation is not the most well-run company out there, this reduces the amount of competition out there, people will absolutely lose their job with this merger, more bad translations probably incoming because they won't have to pay competitive rates for good quality work…

The only real competition out there now is Netflix and Amazon :| and they are all trash anyways. Crunchyroll wasn't fantastic either, but it felt like the last bastion in terms of being a service for fans by people who genuinely like anime.

Nagito

Oct 25, 2017
The windy city
"Crunchyroll adds tremendous value to Sony's existing anime businesses, including Funimation and our terrific partners at Aniplex and Sony Music Entertainment Japan," said Tony Vinciquerra, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. "With Crunchyroll and Funimation, we are committed to creating the ultimate anime experience for fans and presenting a unique opportunity for our key partners, publishers, and the immensely talented creators to continue to deliver their masterful content to audiences around the world. With the addition of Crunchyroll, we have an unprecedented opportunity to serve anime fans like never before and deliver the anime experience across any platform they choose, from theatrical, events, home entertainment, games, streaming, linear TV -- everywhere and every way fans want to experience their anime. Our goal is to create a unified anime subscription experience as soon as possible."
Looks like it'll be unifying