Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
User banned (5 days): Antagonistic behavior towards other members, history of similar behavior
Love idiots trying to spin Sony selling more consoles in a year than they ever have as a negative thing.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's an extremely negative take on what is largely a very, very, very good financial report. Obviously it's all factual, but it's missing some crucial context I think, like the fact that original sales target was incredibly aggressive and PS5 had only just become readily available during the same period last year.

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
Q4 2022 was their record breaking quarter for PS HW so being just 29% down from that - and considering the current economy - it's quite a great result imo.

eww9b65.jpeg

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I thought they weren't going to release any major First Party game this FY?
How exactly are they going to sell 18 million PS5s?

GTAVI will obviously make the console explode in sales, but that's a FY25-26 game.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
To be fair, that comparable quarter was basically the second quarter where there was actual stock and was an absolutely huge Q4.

Selling 4.5M cosnoles in Q4 is high for their traditional figures.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
It's still an expensive console, maybe they should reconsider a price drop. I suppose that will come with the Pro but I wonder how many people will consider getting the Pro depending on how much it costs.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

GTAVI will obviously make the console explode in sales, but that's a FY25-26 game.
Maybe they'll finally officially drop the price.

That and a PS5 Pro will probably help pad the numbers a little bit.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
People need to look at the context of a 6.3m Q4 last year to a 4.5m Q3 this year. They are both massive Q4s.

Peak PS4 Q4 was 2.9m units.

Leancarp900

Feb 13, 2023
User Warned: Antagonizing Fellow Member
That's an extremely negative take on what is largely a very, very, very good financial report. Obviously it's all factual, but it's missing some crucial context I think, like the fact that original sales target was incredibly aggressive and PS5 had only just become readily available during the same period last year.

Yeah, but not unexpected from Tom Warren.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
What a weird way to frame this by Tom. These are excellent sales, a drop from the stratospheric height that Sony hit last year is to be expected.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda curious to see how they handle console pricing going forward. How high with the PS5 Pro be, and will the standard model get a discount?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This is still good, all things considered. They are coming down from the insane last year.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest news is we're likely gonna have a console gen where only Nintendo outsold its predecessor consoles

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
Last fiscal year they shipped 19.1M consoles, this fiscal year they shipped 20.8M consoles. Full year over year sales are up.

Q4 (January-March) is down year over year because in that time last year was when Sony solved the supply issue, so there was a lot of pent up demand.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, but not unexpected from Tom Warren.

It's a little frustrating, though, because there's already this misaligned narrative spreading that Sony's console business is failing in the same way as Microsoft's console business is. Obviously they both have issues, but one is not like the other.

This context-less portrayal of what are, admittedly, facts just further feeds a false narrative, because people won't look beyond the initial headline.

The results look terrible in this thread title, but that's not the actual reality.

dean718

Dec 9, 2022
This actually good sales and profit so I don't think tom warren understand this but I but I get why tom post this don't want to be ban so I will make my exit

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
My Statistics professor demands a meeting with Tom Warren. Is this the end of Tom Warren?

Tigerfan2019

Jun 14, 2020

PlayStation doesn't just rely on 1st party games to move consoles it's the go to console for 3rd party games

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Last fiscal year they shipped 19.1M consoles, this fiscal year they shipped 20.8M consoles. Full year over year sales are up.

Q4 (January-March) is down year over year because in that time last year was when Sony solved the supply issue, so there was a lot of pent up demand.
You'd think someone with a huge following on twitter would do a basic research, but eh. Engagement sells.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think the biggest news is we're likely gonna have a console gen where only Nintendo outsold its predecessor consoles
The PS5 and PS4 is a difference of like 800k at this point despite the PS5 being much harder to get and quite a bit more expensive and the PS5 will probably be around quite a bit longer I think, so less "likely" and more just a possibility at this stage.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
He's talking about Tom Warren lol. The tweet is correct but sounds much more negative than it actually is.

I'm talking about Tom and his post that led to this thread. It's no surprise at all to see him come at it with a negative spin

Oh, I guess it's not the best way to frame it. Was taken aback by the jump to insulting the guy over reporting on sales numbers.

But yeah, he should probably have a follow-up tweet that adds context, given that this doesn't tell the whole story.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Except those numbers show the opposite. Those are very good numbers.

They are good numbers but Sony had originally forecast 25 million then revised that down when it clearly wasn't possible and still missed the revised forecast. That's not good for Sony.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I expected horror this FY but PlayStation did pretty good, I seriously cannot see any bad news here considering where the industry is. They are only like 800k behind PS4 alligned and that is with keeping PS5's price the same.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Love idiots trying to spin Sony selling more consoles in a year than they ever have as a negative thing.

They missed last year's target.

They're down 29% Year-on-Year.

Sony set their own target, it's not like somebody imposed some overly aggressive target on them. This is Sony failing against their own measure, and doing even worse this year.

That's not spin, that's just reality.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
There's a huge number of games already out there for people who are only just getting round to picking up a PS5, you don't need to be looking ahead to some undetermined point in the future to enjoy some quality titles.

On top of that you've got 3rd party titles like CoD, FiFA, Madden, NBA, FF, Fortnite etc which are huge sellers that people want to play. Combine that with a system that has a large catalogue of PS only titles and it's not surprising to see it still sell incredible well even without anything on the horizon.