• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Sony says PlayStation 5 sales will prove whether its quiet promotion of its next-gen console will beat rival Microsoft. Sony has remained relatively quiet about its PlayStation 5 plans, revealing some specs, a logo, and a controller but no full console reveal or potential games just yet.

In an investor call earlier today, Sony CFO Hiroki Totoki fielded a question from an analyst around the lack of PS5 promotion versus the Xbox Series X and whether the company is failing to keep up with Microsoft's push

Sony might not have revealed full details just yet, but it's clearly already confident about its next-gen plans. "We consider things strategically but doing our best," said Totoki, reports Bloomberg's Takashi Mochizuki. "As for pass or fail, I would wait for PS5 sales to make that judgement."

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/13/...s-xbox-series-x-comparison-next-gen-promotion

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it'll sell well and they're showing investor confidence. This isn't a PR snippet, it's talking to the people that are shareholders and reassuring them of future success.

No wars here!

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Theyre going to unload a bunch of games on us that have been cooking for years. It will again sell like hotcakes.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Context of the article and the answer is this tweet:

Honestly feel like the question being asked is whether the marketing team of Sony is doing well with putting the word out on PS5, to which Totoki says he will wait for the sales to say if they passed or failed.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This was before UE5 PS5 demo which alone made insane marketing splash.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
It's not exactly what he said

There is a strategy and a choice of marketing currently and whether or not it passes or fails, he will judge that after sales of PS5

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Saying that doesn't ease investor minds, but whatever. They are going to have the big the reveal soon anyway.

Destin715

May 14, 2020
If the PS5 sells better that doesn't necessarily mean the marketing strategy was better. PS has some huge momentum going into this gen, and if Xbox gains some serious ground Sony should evaluate that as a loss. (No disrespect to Xbox, they've been doing some good things lately).

Personally I don't get the marketing strategy at all. I know it didn't unfold how they wanted it to, but this is worse than I expected. Im sure the next few months will be great, but up until now? Jeez.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Honestly feel like the question being asked is whether the marketing team of Sony is doing well with putting the word out on PS5, to which Totoki says he will wait for the sales to say if they passed or failed.

This.

The context of Totoki's response was this:

1. Sony's silence/difference in marketing promotion of next-gen compared to MS has a strategic consideration to it.
2. Whether or not that choice of a strategic and execution difference is a passing or failing grade for the SIE team will be judged on the sales performance of PS5. If it does well, it justifies and affirms that SIE made the right choice. If not, then it was potentially a marketing mistake to not follow the same execution as MS.

remntSTAR

Oct 29, 2017
USA
No one will remember the lack of marketing when every game site in the world is bombarded with Horizon 2, GoW2, Spider-Man 2, etc. Games ultimately sell consoles, not tweets.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
A lot of People i know are way too hyped up for the PS5. They don't care if the XBOX SX is more powerful or not, they love the brand PlayStation and will buy it no matter what. I even know people that skipped the entire PS4 generation and are now coming back with the PS5. I think Sony knows that the Ps5 will be sold like hotcakes, as long as the price is bearable.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If the PS5 sells better that doesn't necessarily mean the marketing strategy was better. PS has some huge momentum going into this gen, and if Xbox gains some serious ground Sony should evaluate that as a loss. (No disrespect to Xbox, they've been doing some good things lately).

Personally I don't get the marketing strategy at all. I know it didn't unfold how they wanted it to, but this is worse than I expected. Im sure the next few months will be great, but up until now? Jeez.
Why does it really matter? If they have a big event in june with a bunch of games and showing what the ps5 is, they didn't need to show things nearly a year before launch.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
XUpJW4v_d.webp

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I already know some people are going to disregard the part where Sony said whether it will "pass or fail" and jump to ARROGANT Sony is back!

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Arrogan....
Wait.

:p

Even with major fuck ups and horrible God awful advertisements in the first half of the generation, the PS3 still sold a buttload.

People are thirsty af for the ps5. Honestly can't see it NOT selling gangbusters.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017

It allows the lull between reveal and launch to be smaller. Once they reveal it, people won't really care that they had to wait. But if they reveal too early, people will be hyped earlier on but their hype can fade as they still have to wait for the system to release.

Also, they don't wanna overshadow the two games that are still to release.

Destin715

May 14, 2020
Why does it really matter? If they have a big event in june with a bunch of games and showing what the ps5 is, they didn't need to show things nearly a year before launch.

Just looking at trends, it's scary. PS4 was announced early in 2013. They were confident, beat Xbox by 3 months. It is now May and they have barely spoken a word. I'm not saying they aren't confident, and I'm not saying the PS5 will be a disappointment (I don't believe in either scenario), but if either or both of those statements WERE true this is the marketing strategy that would be unfolding.

Nov 13, 2017
While the Xbox Series X had a head start and announced some amazing features like the smart delivery system, there has been moments where they've had events that shown games not exciting enough for the console. MS have been going for the approach of bringing their console into the limelight often and pushing it, and that might bring fatigue.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Just looking at trends, it's scary. PS4 was announced early in 2013. They were confident, beat Xbox by 3 months. It is now May and they have barely spoken a word. I'm not saying they aren't confident, and I'm not saying the PS5 will be a disappointment (I don't believe in either scenario), but if either or both of those statements WERE true this is the marketing strategy that would be unfolding.
Yea but things have changed a lot, even in those 7 years. Social media has exploded. Not the exact same, but look at the switch reveal period. Sony can have their big event in june, and trailers and videos explode on youtube and social media. That's all it takes now. They don't need a full year tour of it.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
People need to remember that the thirst and desperation for news on PS5 on this board isn't representative of the wider public.

I work with plenty of people who are excited for the PS5 but not a single one of them is even aware of this idea that Microsoft has some kind of upper hand.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
What exactly has Sony done wrong here anyway? The only thing they've done differently to Microsoft is they haven't revealed the Console, which tbf isn't that big of a deal. We can safely assume it's going to follow the same form factor and style of other PS consoles, and fall in line with Sony's general approach to design (I think it'll be all black, or mostly all black. I doubt it'll be like those white renders). Yes I'd like to see it, but I'm not frothing at the mouth like some are, especially the media outlets and YouTubers.

We've seen a game that will be released on the PS5 (Godfall, next gen only), we know its specs (Cerney's deep-dive), the DualSens controller, we've seen *actual* next gen gameplay (even if it was 'just' a demo).

Sony's approach has been calm and measured, maybe even Japanese-like (or even German-like). Microsoft has been loud, shouted "hype" a few times, and even stumbled a bit with their recent Inside XBOX event. Sony hasn't had the need to be like Microsoft because they're in a much more commanding position going into the next generation.

This sort-of crusade against Sony's approach is getting really tedious.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

This.

I already know some people are going to disregard the part where Sony said whether it will "pass or fail" and jump to ARROGANT Sony is back!
100%. They got to get in their hot take before they even read the actual answer from Sony.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah, all that matters is the information we have at the time these consoles release. Everything up until that point will be forgotten.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"We consider things strategically but doing our best,"

Not good enough. You're not getting most sales from Era or game enthusiasts. Market the damn console to the masses. Both consoles release at the same time and Microsoft is already beating you with the powerful console message. Which is simple and effective to the general consumer.

It's like Sony is reading too much Era.