• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 29, 2022
FTDCezXXoAMrv7g

Via irwebmeeting and pushsquare

Speaking as part of a corporate strategy meeting, Sony bigwig Kenichiro Yoshida has hinted that the company's acquisition of Bungie represents a "major step forward in becoming more multiplatform". As previously announced, the Destiny developer will retain its independence adjacent to PlayStation Studios, meaning that its games will continue to launch on all viable platforms – including Xbox, PC, and mobile.

Yoshida also touched briefly on PlayStation's emerging PC business, explaining that the company aims to "provide access to our games to as many users as possible" and it'll be "rolling out" more PlayStation Studios titles onto storefronts like Steam and the Epic Games Store in the future. Releases like God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn have already proven incredibly successful on PC, and Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection is the next project confirmed to be making the transition.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Money isn't in the hardware it's in the software.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Makes sense for when they acquire Square and Capcom /s

Honestly going multiplatform makes sense nowadays. Everything is so interconnected, and now it's a lot more common to own two to three gaming platforms you move between instead of just one.

Software will always be the big driver for sales, not hardware.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
gaming really changed in the last 7 years.

MS going full PC starting from 2016
Cross-play adoption
Sony expanding to PC as well starting from 2020.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
They said this when they announced the acquisition too. It's a good move, more games for more people

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we'll be playing Ghost of Tsushima on PC by year's end. Just please Sucker Punch, get rid of the damn cutscene framerate cap that you for some reason added in the Director's Cut release

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I read stuff like this the more I'm impressed with how forward thinking Microsoft was with Game Pass.

It's not about the hardware any more at all. It's all about subscriptions, software and ecosystem.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
This doesn't mean Uncharted on Xbox, but at least opening things up for PC is a huge step. They have loads of work to do from an ecosystem perspective however. It makes no sense to ignore PC anymore with how the younger generation of consumers in Z and more have adopted the platform and how streaming has taken off.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Really exciting times ahead for gamers with only one platform. You see so many multiplatform games in these recent gens with ARMA Reforger being released for PC and Xbox just yesterday..

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So, no one should be too concerned about future aquisitions from Sony...

Not saying they will all be the same, but it's a greater chance more will be multi platform.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's not about the box, it's about selling software. There's a limit on how many people will buy a $400-500 box only for games (with the ubiquity of things like Chromecast and Fire Sticks, the streaming apps on console have lost value). Time to expand your market.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
This should make the FTC approval a slam dunk.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
He says this but Sony is still pretty inconsistent with their PC releases. I hope that improves soon, especially after them buying an immensely talented PC porting studio recently.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gaming really changed in the last 7 years.

MS going full PC starting from 2016
Cross-play adoption
Sony expanding to PC as well starting from 2020.
The technical parity between consoles and PC, along with the clear blue-ocean market size of PC, makes it really a no-brainer business wise. If anything I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this means the rest of the industry will strive to be a bit more multiplatform. All this exclusivity garbage is getting real old .

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When the money is in microtransactions, limiting the reach of your software is a negative. The console market used to be driven by selling consoles in order to extract that sweet 3rd party software license revenue, now that pales in comparison to microtranasction revenue cut.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Mentioned it in the other thread, but there's a very interesting answer in the Q+A session around the future of the game business, M&A, platform vs content, and how that may all evolve. Long story short, while the platform is important, Sony is doubling down on content investment to secure the business no matter what happens to the distribution landscape and is increasingly taking a 'communities of interest' approach rather than a mindset of one platform.

(A rough transcript of a rough translation!)

Question: From the beginning of this year, there has been various developments in the US game industry... the US entertainment industry is undergoing big change, and in response to that, has the position of the company - for example strengthening IP or strengthening DTC - has it changed in an accelerated fashion? Playstation platform is very solid and you have a big population behind this, and in the earnings call you talked about playing time being tracked, so how do you receive the change in the industry, and I'm repeating myself, by strengthening IP or strengthening platform? I don't think you have changed but what kind of risks need to be factored in, and what kind of timeline as well for that.

Yoshida: Thank you for the good question, important question. Totoki-san can respond as well later on. First, thinking behind M&A, especially active in the game industry. As we think about M&A, by us investing, if it is games, for gamers or game creators, can we increase value for them, that is what we're thinking first. So rather than winning share, whether we can contribute or not, that is a key perspective. Sony is to become a brand that is loved by creators, that's what I said. I myself would say, platform is important. But primarily, communities of interest are going to be close to the motivation, so we are not really thinking as one platform. And background for that, as I said, with network, media is changing rapidly, and it will continue to change. If I'm to take some examples, AOL was there, and then portals - Yahoo was there - and then Google was separated, and then social in the form in Facebook, and then sound social, and maybe game social like Discord. So there'll be separations. And that is occurring, and we have to respond to those changes. Content does not change so much. Creativity from people does not change so much. So I would say, in the past, media chose contents but now, content and creators will be choosing the media. So we are changing the phases now. We are a company that becomes closer to creators. I don't know if I'm answering your question, but Totoki-san...

Totoki: I don't have much to add, but we have IP and DTC and we are having more weight on IP for investment. Why? Ability to create excellent content, however the world might change with network, distribution changes, but still ultimately, the attraction for content should be there, otherwise it's not viable as a business. So always, in order to increase capabilities what should we do? We should become closer to creators as Yoshida says, so we're pursuing what we can do to become closer to creators.

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of inevitable, With the move to streaming options eventually for a lot of stuff isolated platforms are not making much sense as far as being able to play a specific game. It's now up to the platform holders to create positive differentials as far as why their platform for the gaming platform do you want to use play games.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
For years now, i've been hearing that consoles were sold at a loss(at least early gen), software is main aspect of the busiess, it was the case in the past, it's even more today.

MS has been very upfront on this for a while, glad to see Sony following suit. Nintendo however will likely stay in their bubble.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
The writing is on the wall for dedicated consoles in a gen or two. There will be no point in a dedicated ground up box anymore unless it offers up something unique.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When the money is in microtransactions, limiting the reach of your software is a negative. The console market used to be driven by selling consoles in order to extract that sweet 3rd party software license revenue, now that pales in comparison to microtranasction revenue cut.

I'm asking this earnestly: Most of Sonys first party bread and butter games don't have significant microtransactions, right? There are things like GT sport which do, but they're by far a minority of the first party output. And I don't quite follow as to why anyone would give sony a cut of any sort of revenue if it's bought on some other non-playstation platform?

The writing is on the wall for dedicated consoles in a gen or two. There will be no point in a dedicated ground up box anymore unless it offers up something unique.

OK but... this would be cataclysmic for Sony as a developer, would it not? 86% of software sold on sony platforms (woo license fees) last year was third party, https://www.tweaktown.com/news/86142/playstation-stats-third-party-game-sales-dwarf-first/index.html
And a presumably similar amount of the microtransaction revenue. (Couldn't see hard numbers quickly on that). It would be extremely difficult for sony if that money were to stop going to them as a platform holder, surely?

Jul 2, 2021
www.resetera.com

Sony readies for metaverse revolution with cross-platform push News

Source article [it’s actually pretty darn good] : https://tribune.com.pk/story/2357115/sony-readies-for-metaverse-revolution-with-cross-platform-push Interesting that the only “ready player one” metaverse is the abomination on metas headsets. MS and Sony seem to both be more invested in...

And yeah, we know SIE is moving to multiplatform. That's why they are hiring lately for PlayStation PC and PlayStation Mobile.
For SIE it will be all about PS consoles, PC and Mobile.
Then you have Bungie (not a PS Studio but still under SIE) which will remain multiplatform.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I mean it's literally re-shaping the industry. It's going to constantly be a huge part of the conversation moving forward.
This has no correlation to them doing a more multiplatform strategy, and frankly even their strategy does not even closely mirror what gamepass is Aiming for other than literally just being some sub service. The whole industry has been re-evaluating things and its not due to some pressure from gamepass.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
For the first time since the introduction of console, a future where you do not need a console to game on a TV is in sight. This is why it makes sense for Sony to branch out of their console ecosystem. If streaming truly is the future, then Sony needs to create a situation in which their identity is tied to their software and not necessarily their hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
Continuing to put their games on PC, likely with a set schedule or day and date makes too much sense. I think it's been proven a lot of people just prefer consoles so it's not like you'll lose much of that userbase.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
They can't help themselves.

I don't know why you deleted the rest of that, I thought it was funny lol

This has no correlation to them doing a more multiplatform strategy, and frankly even their strategy does not even closely mirror what gamepass is Aiming for other than literally just being some sub service. The whole industry has been re-evaluating things and its not due to some pressure from gamepass.

Dude, trust me, it's best to just not bother with these people. Just let it go