Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
This is a bit fascinating to watch. Specifically how long Sony is just kinda letting it ride, I'm genuinely surprised by that.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I read through this thread and I just don't understand how anyone can defend this shit. Like at all. How can you be allowed to purchase something, and something because it is a code no one will refund you and have it not work?

Like I don't give a shit if it will work in a months time or whatever, if i buy something I expect it to work or I want a refund.

If Sony had intentions of doing this why did they not remove all codes from stores and put out a press release with a date this would happen? If it's a big why is there no communication on this?

People give these things as gifts and I'm sure that people that are not clued in to gaming forums would have no fucking idea about any of this and feel like they have been burnt. Poor retail workers probably getting shit put on them and no one knows what's up. Seriously what a shit show

Hedgey

Oct 29, 2017
That's bullshit. If your Plus run out before next tuesday then you are out of luck of claiming May games because the service will launch in June (or good luck paying the full price for the year)! Just imagine this... And it's bloody FIFA 22. They should have AT THE VERY LEAST issued a PSA before.

I'm pretty sure if your subscription lapses you can buy another year.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017

People have stated that even though their sub has expired it still won't let them redeem.

It's an absolute shit show. They should have had a date planned months ago with retailers to pull cards and put a press release out for people to know that after x date until the new launch they wouldn't work.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My PS+ expires June 25.

Well timed and very cool. I feel blessed to be one of the first people to be permitted to purchase the new variety of services at full price.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
My PS+ expires June 25.

Well timed and very cool. I feel blessed to be one of the first people to be permitted to purchase the new variety of services at full price.
But the price of the service is unchanged?

EDIT: Actually, I read the tiers wrong it's not the same I think. This is awkward for sure lol

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
This is a bit fascinating to watch. Specifically how long Sony is just kinda letting it ride, I'm genuinely surprised by that.

A previous poster mentioned that Sony might want to let it go until Friday just before end of business- the typical dumping ground for bad news that might upset your customers. Which sounds about right to me.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Simple: To get more money out of gullible & uninformed people.
It really reeks of this, which is the same type of scammy contempt for the consumer that we saw when they left a $70 Horizon: FW on the PS Store even though the $60 version had a free upgrade. I bet some Sony executive is laughing to themself about all the gullible losers they were able to get to buy full-price PS+ codes and lock themselves into the PS ecosystem for years.

A previous poster mentioned that Sony might want to let it go until Friday just before end of business- the typical dumping ground for bad news that might upset your customers. Which sounds about right to me.
At this point, if Sony doesn't say anything by tomorrow, I'm starting to think they're going allow this to be a big 'fuck you' to their customers and just hope it blows over without any acknowledgement of the issue.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It really reeks of this, which is the same type of scammy contempt for the consumer that we saw when they left a $70 Horizon: FW on the PS Store even though the $60 version had a free upgrade. I bet some Sony executive is laughing to themself about all the gullible losers they were able to get to buy full-price PS+ codes and lock themselves into the PS ecosystem for years.

At this point, if Sony doesn't say anything by tomorrow, I'm starting to think they're going allow this to be a big 'fuck you' to their customers and just hope it blows over without any acknowledgement of the issue.

Don't forget the moment they got massive PS NOW subs from those who knew about the trick weeks ago, they suddenly decided to eradicate the majority of the long permanent and most important games to our big surprise, as the pretext to màe room for other games, yet by that they sliced the number of overall streamed games, in this case streamed onlyPS3 games which will make the premium tiers even less attractive by now. Do yeah, they got a flood of PS NOW subs secured, then blocked the access to it, and in no time they made PS NOW useless when they got more subs while when they barely had anyone using it they had more games. The irony. This scummier than other mischiefs they did before.

Edit: I forgot something I am still bitter at. The fact they offered many PS4 versions only of games through PS Plus and and did not offer their PS5 versions or blocked any upgrade from PS4 to PS5 version like with FF7F so many like me were forced not to claim he games but after months they decided to make the PS Plus version upgradable without any further notice the month they offered which angered those who were forced not to claim it. So it is always a loss when it comes to many PS Plus offers or deals or ideas.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
What would have been the plan for all those PS+ codes out in the wild anyway?

If they became Essential, you'd need to explain that, and even then, what happens if you have a Premium sub and try to extend it with an old Plus code after the change?

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
For those people the only option is to let the PSN autorenew the subscription paying full price (which is a no go for PS+) when you can get discounted cards anywhere.

Not saying people won't be able to get those games, it's just that they will be stuck with full price when much probably their cards will be unlocked again the following month.

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah, this shit is wack af. I still have some unused PS+ year codes too,. I fully expected to be able to redeem in the future but still its ridiculous

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Services like these hold a lot more value to platform holders than just the money they take in when the sub is purchased.
Nevermind that we're really not talking about all that much money lost for Sony if a relative handful of their most dedicated customers choose to take advantage of something like this...
...those users are now incentivized to stay with Playstation. To game on Playstation. To keep the platform and continue to invest their time and money into it. I mean it's the whole reason that services like this exist. You probably don't need me to tell you that and I don't mean to be condescending, I just don't really understand the notion that the money lost here (if Sony were to allow early adopters of the new service to take advantage in this way) would result in an obvious and merited compromise to Sony's output.
Sony's gone on record numerous times in its feeling on trying to directly compete with Game Pass or otherwise (in Sony's outlook) devalue its big games. I don't think it's too outlandish to think Sony isn't completely sold on operating a loss leader product right now, especially given how recently Sony's commented on its feelings about the sustainability of Game Pass. Sony has specifically said that something like this could impact the quality of its games, and it's not difficult to parse the fact that Sony's fears could be exacerbated by the fact that people are paying less than expected to gain access to the new services tiers than expected.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
Because you can simply redeem them as soon as your subscription ends. It's not like the code becomes worthless.
How in the hell can anyone defend this lol, wtf.

Sony obviously can't figure out how they want to handle current subscriptions to the new services. This isn't rocket science, something they should have nailed down a long time ago and communicated to everyone in a clear way. Preventing people from using codes they spent money on is gross and illegal.

Last edited:

FLX-II

Gargantuan Generousness Guaranteed
Oct 28, 2017
Just got myself a PS5 and a brand new account. What is the best way to get PS+? and PS+ Premium in the future?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Just got myself a PS5 and a brand new account. What is the best way to get PS+? and PS+ Premium in the future?
You can get one year of PS+ at a discount from one of the online sources, which converts to Essential. Premium you'd presumably have to pay whatever upgrade fee they have for it at the time.

sakkeke

Oct 16, 2021
Finland
Sony goes back & forth again & again when it comes to losing their marketshare & their fanbase ever since the PS3. Then they regain them back, then they start to lose it again.
Yes, the cycle that never ends. The fact that Sony hasn't still given any official message about the ongoing situations is horrible. The lack of communication is almost worst that a company (even a multi-billion company) can do to their customers, especially as we speak about the products (PS+ codes) which many have bought, but can't be used like earlier.

Just communicate, Sony! Don't do shady actions behind your customers' back and leave them confused and angry! It shouldn't be harder than that. Do what you will, but inform it clearly and beforehand.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
What would have been the plan for all those PS+ codes out in the wild anyway?

If they became Essential, you'd need to explain that, and even then, what happens if you have a Premium sub and try to extend it with an old Plus code after the change?
Probably bin them.

I personally wouldn't buy any cards for a service that is announced to be ending imminently but I've been burnt a lot in the past with gift cards etc for stores that are closing that aren't honoured.

HMV being the notable one.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
So I'm on the side that believes that the stacking block is intentional on the part of Sony. However, one curious thing I noticed is this. A month and a half ago I wasn't sure if my PS Now sub was set to auto-renew. I went to my web browser on my Mac and checked my Subscriptions Management on the Playstation Store and it didn't even list my PS Now, only PS Plus. Yesterday it started showing my PS Now on the Subscriptions Management list. So there is a small chance they are doing some sort of changes there that have caused this issue. But I still don't think so.

Confirmed Blocked - Conversion Rates to new Sub Tiers later this year

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
They updated the page. As we feared.
www.playstation.com

PlayStation®Plus | Hundreds of games to download and play, PlayStation classics, game trials and more

Join PlayStation Plus on an Essential, Extra or Premium membership plan and get hundreds of PS4 and PS5 games, online multiplayer, classics catalog, exclusive discounts and more.

I have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now 1-month, 3-month or 12-month membership voucher. What will happen if I redeem it before the new PlayStation Plus service launches?
  • If you are not a current member of the service the voucher is for, you can redeem your voucher using PS4, PS5, Web and Mobile App. Click here for instructions. If you join PlayStation Plus and still have an active membership when the new PlayStation Plus service launches, you will transition into PlayStation Plus Essential. If you join PlayStation Now and still have an active membership when the new PlayStation Plus service launches, you will automatically migrate to the PlayStation Plus Premium.
  • If you currently have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now membership, due to changes we are making to the service prior to launch, you won't be able to redeem a voucher code for that service until your existing membership expires and deactivates, or after the new PlayStation Plus service launches in your area, whichever happens first. Rest assured that your voucher code is still valid. See next question for further information.
I have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now 1-month, 3-month or 12-month membership voucher. What will happen if I redeem it after the new PlayStation Plus service launches?
If you do not have an active membership:

• The PlayStation Plus voucher you redeem will provide you access to PlayStation Plus Essential for the length of time denoted on your original voucher. For example, a one-month PlayStation Plus voucher will provide access to one month of PlayStation Plus Essential.
  • The PlayStation Now voucher you redeem will provide you access to PlayStation Plus Premium for the length of time equivalent to the monetary value of your original voucher. For example, a one-month PlayStation Now voucher will provide access to approximately 3 weeks of PlayStation Plus Premium. See conversion chart here for details.
If you are an existing customer:

• The PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now voucher you redeem will be converted to a length of time on your current PlayStation Plus membership plan equivalent to the monetary value of the voucher you are redeeming. For example, a 1-month PlayStation Plus voucher will provide access to approximately 3 weeks of PlayStation Plus Extra or approximately 2.5 weeks of PlayStation Plus Premium. See conversion chart here for details.
edited: to include omitted question.

Last edited:

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
www.playstation.com

PlayStation®Plus | Hundreds of games to download and play, PlayStation classics, game trials and more

Join PlayStation Plus on an Essential, Extra or Premium membership plan and get hundreds of PS4 and PS5 games, online multiplayer, classics catalog, exclusive discounts and more.
youtu.be

Sad Trombone - Sound Effect (HD)

🎹 For more sound effects/music for your videos check out Artlist (Get 2 free extra months when you subscribe) - https://bit.ly/artlist2months🎵 Sign up for ...

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.playstation.com

I have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now 1-month, 3-month or 12-month membership voucher. What will happen if I redeem it before the new PlayStation Plus service launches?
  • If you are not a current member of the service the voucher is for, you can redeem your voucher using PS4, PS5, Web and Mobile App. Click here for instructions. If you join PlayStation Plus and still have an active membership when the new PlayStation Plus service launches, you will transition into PlayStation Plus Essential. If you join PlayStation Now and still have an active membership when the new PlayStation Plus service launches, you will automatically migrate to the PlayStation Plus Premium.
  • If you currently have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now membership, due to changes we are making to the service prior to launch, you won't be able to redeem a voucher code for that service until your existing membership expires and deactivates, or after the new PlayStation Plus service launches in your area, whichever happens first. Rest assured that your voucher code is still valid. See next question for further information.

• The PlayStation Plus voucher you redeem will provide you access to PlayStation Plus Essential for the length of time denoted on your original voucher. For example, a one-month PlayStation Plus voucher will provide access to one month of PlayStation Plus Essential.
  • The PlayStation Now voucher you redeem will provide you access to PlayStation Plus Premium for the length of time equivalent to the monetary value of your original voucher. For example, a one-month PlayStation Now voucher will provide access to approximately 3 weeks of PlayStation Plus Premium. See conversion chart here for details.

• The PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now voucher you redeem will be converted to a length of time on your current PlayStation Plus membership plan equivalent to the monetary value of the voucher you are redeeming. For example, a 1-month PlayStation Plus voucher will provide access to approximately 3 weeks of PlayStation Plus Extra or approximately 2.5 weeks of PlayStation Plus Premium. See conversion chart here for details.
Yeah, fuck Sony. It's an exclusive machine now. This should have been in the blog to begin with.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
sneaky greedy slimy fucks

Bait and switch.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017

This isn't useful for me, I don't think but to clarify, if anyone here is on monthly, they could cancel now, wait until it expires and then stack vouchers, right? Well, presumably at that point you can stack for a maximum of only the longest voucher you could find?

So, annoying, but maybe some people can get 12-18 months cheap.

GetDigitized

Oct 25, 2017
Now expires in July, plus at the start of June before premium launches. I'll be able to stack 1 year of plus to make it premium since its before premium launches right?

Also cannot believe Sony are actually pulling this shit. My plus hasn't lapsed since igc on ps3 but apparently it'll have to.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now expires in July, plus at the start of June before premium launches. I'll be able to stack 1 year of plus to make it premium since its before premium launches right?

Also cannot believe Sony are actually pulling this shit. My plus hasn't lapsed since igc on ps3 but apparently it'll have to.
Yeah you will be able to.

I don't understand how this will all end up being legal.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft is letting people convert to the top tier for $1, and Sony pulls this. Holy shit. I'm glad I stocked up on a few years for cheap last year.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol bozos

My PS+ is ending in august and they're putting in more work in stopping people trying to subscribe to their mystery service than trying to actually sell it to anyone.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
The conversion chart leads to a broken link

Lol

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
www.playstation.com

They deserve to get dragged for this. They should have communicated it before actually disabling anything and leaving paying customers fucked. They went about this in the worst way possible.

AngryPuppy

Oct 27, 2017
They couldn't have had that info in the original e-mail? I was never interested in PS Now, and only grabbed a couple of months to take advantage of the conversion on the slim off-chance there is something more appealing about the service down the line - and now the 12 month Plus subscription I bought is only good for 6 months? I'd rather it tack 12 months of Essential on at the tail end of my current sub rather than this, I couldn't complain about that - I'd just be getting what I paid for.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
While Microsoft is obviously doing better, I'm okay with this. Except they should have given this info before hand, and not 4 days later after pulling this shenanigans.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
It won't fly in many countries due to consumer protection laws.
They are exposing themselves to a class action case for sure.