Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/News/Press/202405/24-022E/

View: https://youtu.be/SZVKGKM6T-4?t=1870

A key takeaway from this is they're going big on utilising IP in other areas of their business.

PlayStation Next Gen Controller: (Concept)

GOOscM7WsAAoI2x

I've tried to leave most of the non-gaming stuff out, if you want to read about that stuff just go to the link and watch the video.

Expanding game IP including "Uncharted" into the area of Location-Based Entertainment (LBE).

GOOqpN5WcAAkD6X

"Marvel's Spider-Man 2" utilized machine learning, and applied original voice recognition software specialized for gaming. In certain languages, it enabled automatic synchronization of the timing of subtitles with each character's dialogue, significantly shortening the subtitling process.
GOOqzVmWYAAR-GJ

In the "live" entertainment of professional sports leagues in North America, Sony is working to expand the fan base by tracking the movements of real-life athletes and converting those movements into 3D animations in real-time.

GOOqsigWEAEMKEx

Playstation Networks Data Processing volumes have reached a level that places it among the top 10 consumer internet services worldwide

Screenshot-2024-05-23-142829.png

Developing engagement platform
  • Planning to develop an engagement platform for the Sony Group by deploying core functions based on the network infrastructure of PlayStation Network, which has established a robust network service, including accounts, payments, data infrastructure, and security, alongside the growing Crunchyroll service.
  • Moving forward, Sony aims to proceed with commonizing IDs for services across the Sony Group, and to use this engagement platform to support the development of new network services across the Group in areas such as mobility and LBE. In the future, Sony aims for it to be widely adopted across the entertainment industry as a common platform specialized for fan engagement.

GOOq70xW8AABgGy

Screenshot-2024-05-23-144124.png

"IP 360 extension": Expanding IP beyond specific boundaries
Screenshot-2024-05-23-141200.png

Contribution of partner IP expansion
The mobile RPG "Street Fighter™: Duel" published by Crunchyroll Games.
Leveraging "High Quality Scan Solution," which enables real objects to be converted into high-quality 3D models, to scan plastic Gundam models and display them in the "Gundam Metaverse."

Screenshot-2024-05-23-142009.png

Global expansion of maximizing the value of IP: Supporting creators with diverse cultural backgrounds and strong regional appeal
The "India Hero Project," an initiative to unearth and support promising game developers in India and help them bring compelling gaming experiences to the world. Currently, five game titles are under development.

Screenshot-2024-05-23-142430.png

Merchandising
Screenshot-2024-05-23-141608.png

Last edited:

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
That concept is just a dualsense with the middle removed and replaced with circle light bar and nothing else for no reason.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
"the digital, into realms untrodden, unimagined"

That ain't Cerny, that's full-on Kutaragi!

alexjimithing

Aug 20, 2019
I know I'm a parent because I see that controller....display....holograph thing and immediately imagine ten different ways my children could destroy it.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Generative AI Models/Characters, AI Translation/Dubbing, QA testing were similar topics discussed last year by MS

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Generative AI Models/Characters, AI Translation/Dubbing, QA testing were similar topics discussed last year by MS
As far as I can tell the "AI" mentioned in the OP is just about syncing the timing of the translation, it's not a generative model to create a translation on its own.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Totoki (I think it was him) literally says "AI is not a substitute for human creation."
Kenichiro Yoshida (Sony CEO) also said something similar in an interview a few months ago. He talked about how their focus with Machine Learning is on reducing the "mundane" work to focus on creativity, and that AI cannot replace the latter, the example in the OP fits with that nicely.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Lol - the investor question about Sony being a mature company and where growth is coming from. Right at the heart of Sony's lagging share price performance, and unfortunately, they didn't really have a good answer.

OP
OP
Bishop89

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Totoki (I think it was him) literally says "AI is not a substitute for human creation."
Sony updated the video in the OP so I'll have to hunt it down, but there was a very long Q&A session right after the main event where someone mentioned A.I and how it will be incorporated into their business.
It was timestamped at 1:17:20 if someone has the video lol.

Edit: Here is another video but there is an annoying person commenting over it.
Timestamped to his answer

View: https://youtu.be/CmzDeQvwpuY?t=2544

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wild to hear them talking about considering PSN the benchmark for account systems and security when it was only thirteen years ago that they had one of the largest security breaches in history that required the entire service to be completely shut down for nearly an entire month.

How times change…

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
All that PSN talk and intentions to expanding it to other parts of their business without addressing some big issues is kinda funny.

Moving forward, Sony aims to proceed with commonizing IDs for services across the Sony Group, and to use this engagement platform to support the development of new network services across the Group in areas such as mobility and LBE. In the future, Sony aims for it to be widely adopted across the entertainment industry as a common platform specialized for fan engagement.

For the love of God they don't even support standard set of countries that other digital distributors and streaming services support. Awful refund policy and customer support in general. Slow service improvement...

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
All that PSN talk and intentions to expanding it to other parts of their business without addressing some big issues is kinda funny.

For the love of God they don't even support standard set of countries that other digital distributors and streaming services support. Awful refund policy and customer support in general. Slow service improvement...
They kind of are when they say "aiming for it to be widely adopted across the entertainment industry".

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
They kind of are when they say "aiming for it to be widely adopted across the entertainment industry".

They are probably aiming to have bigger presence across the industry with music, video and gaming subscription/services. They already announced their mobile store/platform. But if core of all that is PSN without them fixing big issues that PSN already has that will be disaster.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
They are probably aiming to have bigger presence across the industry with music, video and gaming subscription/services. They already announced their mobile store/platform. But if core of all that is PSN without them fixing big issues that PSN already has that will be disaster.
I would hope that plans for big expansion would include things like you mentioned before, otherwise it is not going to work out well. Maybe that is why they put a separate CEO in charge of platforms for PS, cannot grow it properly without hardware, software, and services evolving at the same time.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
Yeah no I get that, was just trying to make a funny lol

Still, some gaming companies have previously stated their desire to use AI/ML to replace creative processes though. Sony not going that far(yet) is something at least.
Wasnt there a thing about speeding up the creation of 3d assets in this video? That feels like a creative process task. This goes back to an old post of mines about the definition of mundane/creative tasks but ehh.

They already announced their mobile store/platform
Did they or did they have a job list that included the word platform (can't remember if they used the word store) . That's two different things.