• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
Speaking to NLab, Sony Interactive Entertainment denied increasing PlayStation 4 production to deal with the current PlayStation 5 shortage.

Denying recent reports, the video game and digital entertainment division of the Japanese company noted that it had no initial plans to end production of the PS4 last year. Highlighting that any further production and sales of the console were already planned in parallel with the rollout of the PS5. Sony also noted that its release schedule of the previous-gen and next-gen console follows the introduction of previous consoles.
www.yahoo.com

Sony Denies Increasing PS4 Production to Deal With PlayStation 5 Shortage

Speaking to NLab, Sony Interactive Entertainment denied increasing PlayStation 4 production to deal...

I never understood why production of an old console keeps going when a new one is introduced.
New games are still being made for older hardware, and in particular, Sony has at least three major first party titles coming to it this year. It's clear that the production volume is nowhere near the peak of what it used to be, but major releases still justify some supply.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

In 2019 ^

Will remain the engine of engagement and profitability for the next three years; so it doesn't seem unlikely like the article mentioned that they'd stop production as it was already planned to continue.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Cause sometimes they keep selling. I think PS2 sold a lot after PS3. Though with the capabilities and prices of the new consoles' capabilities and price there's less incentive I guess.

Again?
He was right about the Japanese PS5 allocation and right about Japan Studio, tho?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't the same problems affecting PS5 production affect PS4 production? How would they increase production of PS4s without severely diminishing production of PS5s? 🤔

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why production of an old console keeps going when a new one is introduced.
The PS4 is still selling for $299, so it is profitable and there are still major games coming to the platform this year. Plus, Sony always supports their previous gen platforms a few years after a new console is introduced, PS3 wasn't discontinued until 2017 for example.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Sony admit to this? Don't be naive and accept PR at face value.

This is not defend Takashi, but come on, guys. Do you believe anything a company puts out?
The whole thing didn't make sense to begin with. Sony has a track record of continuing old console production years into the new consoles life. Why would they discontinue their most successful console 12 months into the PS5 life? and it's not like this's his first fucking up a Sony news either.

I don't think Sony would go and lie about this considering you can get sued by investors when you can simply ignore it or release a vague statement at least.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The whole thing didn't make sense to begin with. Sony has a track record of continuing old console production years into the new consoles life. Why would they discontinue their most successful console 12 months into the PS5 life? and it's not like this's his first fucking up a Sony news either.

I don't think Sony would go and lie about this considering you can get sued by investors when you can simply ignore it or release a vague statement at least.
This is not that big of an issue to even be sued on. This is nothing.

And Takashi's statement was pretty matter a fact. Increasing production of their previous console is basically a non story. It's not controversial. We know there are supply chain issues as well.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Yes? You don't think happens in the F500 at all? It's rampant. Yes, it's illegal, but corporations get away with tons of shit like this.
If Sony's lying, I would think it would be pretty easy to investigate whether PS4 production has ramped up. Too many players in the supply chain for Sony to keep quiet.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
If Sony's lying, I would think it would be pretty easy to investigate whether PS4 production has ramped up. Too many players in the supply chain for Sony to keep quiet.
Who would investigate? Their consoles are made in heavily secured Chinese factories. Again, it's not a big deal at all. Suing investors for this?

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't the same problems affecting PS5 production affect PS4 production? How would they increase production of PS4s without severely diminishing production of PS5s? 🤔

Depends, thinking about the PS5 the motherboard and chips themselves may require better/higher quality components (think about the tempest engine chip, ram, Power delivery/VRMs, the SOC itself etc. ) and/or unique chips for which there are already constraints whereas for the PS4 these components may already be readily available and alternatives may exist in some way.
If there's one component in the product for which there exist a shortage of and its specifications that one (e.g. no alternatives), you can't finish it (PS5), whereas for the PS4 there may be more alternatives.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
"They can't make enough PS5s due to chip shortages, so they make more of a different console instead" never made much sense on a basic logical level

Yes? You don't think happens in the F500 at all? It's rampant. Yes, it's illegal, but corporations get away with tons of shit like this.

And Sony would gain.... what out of that?

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
He was, which is quite ironic considering some people have started their hate & discredit crusade about him precisely because of that article.
And I would say that is a bigger scoop than some silly increase production article. Which I do believe. There's demand for gaming still and the PS5 is still pretty pricey for the majority of the world and not to mention still supply constrained.

Sony has always had a long tail approach to hardware too. So increasing production, in an inflated and supply chain hindered climate is not some big controversial thing.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
MS should put out a release, with them expecting Sony to meet all of their obligations. /s

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
That would be a pretty dumb lie, i'm sure you could see those PS4s in stores somewhere, or even in the sale numbers.
Unless they produce them and bury them in the desert.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
"They can't make enough PS5s due to chip shortages, so they make more of a different console instead" never made much sense on a basic logical level

And Sony would gain.... what out of that?
Easy, counter the Takashi article. It's a reaction.

Why do you guys just blindly trust corporate PR?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Depends, thinking about the PS5 the motherboard and chips themselves may require better/higher quality components (think about the tempest engine chip, ram, Power delivery/VRMs, the SOC itself etc. ) and/or unique chips for which there are already constraints whereas for the PS4 these components may already be readily available and alternatives may exist in some way.
If there's one component in the product for which there exist a shortage of and its specifications that one (e.g. no alternatives), you can't finish it (PS5), whereas for the PS4 there may be more alternatives.

Hmm, yeah, makes sense.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Ok but what would Sony gain by countering that article?
Easy. Counter investor preception that increased PS4 production is somehow hurting PS5 production, which could be the assumption.

Remember, increasing production is about percentages in mass manufacturing. A simple 5 percent increase may not be much in terms of actual raw units.

Why do you trust an article without anything supporting it?
Sony said it's not true, move on.
Because increased PS4 production makes sense in this climate. However, I don't see it as a controversial scoop. Seems like standard operating procedure in a supply tight maket.

Why are you so bound to defend Sony here? It's a company. Not your friend.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 having low yields mere months before release and Sony having to cut their production severely? Not going to talk about him doubling down on his BS story about a switch pro every year only for it to turn wrong every time.
This is not that big of an issue to even be sued on. This is nothing.

And Takashi's statement was pretty matter a fact. Increasing production of their previous console is basically a non story. It's not controversial. We know there are supply chain issues as well.
It's not a matter of fact, not when the company dispute a news coming from a guy with a spotty track record. And if the company lied, it can be sued regardless of whether it's a big or small issue as long as there's money to be made. Why would Sony deny such a trivial matter?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Easy. Counter investor preception that increased PS4 production is somehow hurting PS5 production, which could be the assumption.

Remember, increasing production is about percentages in mass manufacturing. A simple 5 percent increase may not be much in terms of actual raw units.
Would investors really be worried about a million PS4s being produced? Thats nothing in the scheme of things and an expected number regardless.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Would investors really be worried about a million PS4s being produced? Thats nothing in the scheme of things and an expected number regardless.
Everything is about perception. Especially now as MS bought AB. Sony PR is a delicate situation.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
This has.... absolutely nothing to do with that. You are way overthinking this.
Not at all. We can agree to disagree.

Bloomberg is not damn random blogger. It's a paper read by the business and investor class. They had to say something.

So no, I'm not gonna believe any company that reacts to internal scoops in big and reputable publications.

That's just my stance. Sony, Apple, anyone. And yes, I do like Sony and have owned every platform, even the PSPGo lol.

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
Because increased PS4 production makes sense in this climate. However, I don't see it as a controversial scoop. Seems like standard operating procedure in a supply tight maket.

Why are you so bound to defend Sony here? It's a company. Not your friend.
Step 1: accuse a big corporation of doing something by making wild assumptions
Step 2: big corporation denies it
Step 3: you can't trust big corporations!

There is nothing to discuss is, there is no scoop or anything else.
Also why are you getting personal? Please stop because it's pretty sad.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

Exactly, why the hell would Sony lie to shareholders about that lol. "Sorry shareholders, we aren't increasing production of our most profitable hardware of all time" isn't exactly good news to them

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Step 1: accuse a big corporation of doing something by making wild assumptions
Step 2: big corporation denies it
Step 3: you can't trust big corporations!

There is nothing to discuss is, there is no scoop or anything else.
Also why are you getting personal? Please stop because it's pretty sad.
Not personal. I just don't get this obsession with Takashi here. He's a reporter. Espeically with Sony stuff. It comes as a very fanboyish to me.

He reports. He may get things right. May get things wrong. that's the life a scoops reporter. But just because Sony puts a statement refuting it doesn't mean Takashi is 100 percent wrong.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
It was never really a huge increase if I remember correctly anyway, they were saying 1 million?

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Why would Sony admit to this? Don't be naive and accept PR at face value.

This is not defend Takashi, but come on, guys. Do you believe anything a company puts out?

Sony never stopped the production of their old gen console 1 year after launching their new console.

There is no reason to believe that they ever planned to stop PS4 production last year.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Given how good the PS5's backwards compatibility is with the PS4 I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to market the PS4 as a cheaper PlayStation. Get the price way down. $199, heck $99 (make a super slim with some cheap eMMC storage, no optical drive). Get people tied into digital games and subscriptions.