Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
www.gamesindustry.biz

Report: Sony forms new studio with ex-Deviation Games devs

Sony has reportedly formed a new studio made up of former Deviation Games employees.In a post on LinkedIn, former techn…

Sony has reportedly formed a new studio made up of former Deviation Games employees.

In a post on LinkedIn, former technical director Michael Anthony suggested that the studio is "working on an undisclosed IP".

"All the people I see working there that have signed up are top class developers," he wrote. "I hope that you can create a top class new IP with your studio that hopefully gives you all the time you need to create a quality product and not have to deal with the red tape of previous projects."

It would seem Deviation Games co-founder Jason Blundell is involved with the studio. As reported by VGC, former employee JC Farmer shared on social media last December that they landed a job as a junior game designer at PlayStation, adding that they work for Blundell.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a deviation from the usual loop: close studio -> fund the project of the studio formed by the closed studio

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Fund external project. See promise. Pull funding. Poach people. Fund internal project.

Just another day in the office.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Iirc there were reports of toxic studio culture at Deviation prior to their shuttering. Hopefully they left the bad eggs behind, but we'll have to see.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
Fund external project. See promise. Pull funding. Poach people. Fund internal project.

Just another day in the office.

Iirc there were reports of toxic studio culture at Deviation prior to their shuttering. Hopefully they left the bad eggs behind, but we'll have to see.
Exactly. Those were the rumors going around. And seeing as their project was cancelled and the studio had no history, it was probably the better idea to restart it without the baggage, but keeping a lot of the people doing the heavy work.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
HhYbZDi_d.webp

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Love this actually. Bad eggs out, no pay offs and the good employees keep their jobs.

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
To be honest I am not familiar with this studio, I am curious what Sony will have them make now.

Status
Not open for further replies.