MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
tenor.gif

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how they are predicting 2020 to be their fourth biggest year even with a console launch

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
If we assume $50 from every PS+ sub (which is generous considering discounts and not everyone is subbing for a full year) then PS Now is generating 50% as much as PS+?

either ton of people of people are subbing for a full year using monthly subs increasing the average (which doesn't make sense) or PS Now is much bigger than anyone expected (which makes even less sense).

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what internal roadmap Sony have for the PS4, weren't they expecting to support it for 10years or something? Wonder when it will wind down production post-PS5 launch...

ps3ud0 8)

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
This is their latest qaurter results which are down YoY. Sony still had an incredible year.

PS4 Has Shipped 110.4 Million Units

"Results for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2020 Sales decreased 333.3 billion yen (14%) year-on-year to 1 trillion 977.6 billion yen (a 12% decrease on a constant currency basis).

This significant decrease was primarily due to a decrease in PlayStation 4 ("PS4") hardware sales and game software sales, as well as the impact of foreign exchange rates, partially offset by an increase in sales for PlayStation®Plus ("PS Plus").

Operating income decreased 72.7 billion yen year-on-year to 238.4 billion yen. This significant decrease was primarily due to the impact of the above-mentioned decrease in game software sales and the negative impact of foreign exchange rates, partially offset by the above-mentioned increase in sales for PS Plus and cost reductions.

During the current fiscal year, there was a 12.2 billion yen negative impact from foreign exchange rate fluctuations.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Wow, nice numbers...and OP, amazing chart game you have.

It was interesting for me to see that PS1-PS3 all sold around 100 million or more. So much has been made about PS4 being such a crazy popular system, but looking at that shouldn't we have just expected it to sell more than it's predecessors? With those numbers in mind, globally I would think that next gen will track much the same. End of Gen, PS5 should have between 100 and 120 million +/- sales.

Jun 23, 2019
The main point will be if they really need to undercut MS. I don't think they do.

That kind of attitude is dangerous thinking. Let's say MS uses that legendary warchest to sell XSX at $399 and Sony sells PS5 at $499. Yes, PS5 will sell out at that price, but what happens in the next quarter when those sales stabilize and now you are the higher priced console with the "weaker" specs? MS would be drooling to be in such a situation. Sony is not dumb. They realize $399 was a boon for them last gen. I expect them to either match or go to $449.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That kind of attitude is dangerous thinking. Let's say MS uses that legendary warchest to sell XSX at $399 and Sony sells PS5 at $499. Yes, PS5 will sell out at that price, but what happens in the next quarter when those sales stabilize and now you are the higher priced console with the "weaker" specs? MS would be drooling to be in such a situation. Sony is not dumb. They realize $399 was a boon for them last gen. I expect them to either match or go to $449.
There is a very little chance XSX is at $400 imo. I would love that to spur competition, but MS has set expectations for their hardware at $500, and the Bill of Materials for XSX is gonna be too high to sell at $400. XB1 was at $500, X1X was $500, XSX will be $500.

PS5 at its specs I expect will land at $450, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was $500 either.

Kuma

alt account
Banned
Apr 15, 2020

XSX is not gonna be $399 lmao

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

I would love to see the marketing team try to justify the Lockhart when Series X is $399 lol. If anything, Lockhart will be the one at $399 if they can't push lower

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
The billions MS loses this way would be way more better invested in things like xCloud, since they are already in the subscription direction. One thing is wanting to be competitive in price, try to price match Sony, the other is burning billions to undercut Sony when MS focus seems to be services.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Damn still ahead of PS2.
Unfortunately this gen is shorter so it probably won't overtake PS2 Ltd but who knows

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I would love to see the marketing team try to justify the Lockhart when Series X is $399 lol. If anything, Lockhart will be the one at $399 if they can't push lower
I love how you and others are so determined to suggest Series X will be higher priced than the PS5 and Lockhart could never be $299.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
The Microsoft warchest is a myth. Ever since Microsoft entered the videogame market we heard about how they would overhelm everybody thanks to their billions. And here we are today.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I love how you and others are so determined to suggest Series X will be higher priced than the PS5 and Lockhart could never be $299.

Who would buy a $299 4tflop console that launches on the same day as a $399 12tflop console that plays the same games? I don't claim to have clairvoyance about pricing, but MS isnt the only console manufacturer that knows how to price aggressively. Matter of fact, MS hasn't priced its hardware aggressively at launch in many years, so...

Easy. Lockhart will be cheaper than Switch lite.

Uhh the Switch Lite is $199

Let's return to reality to continue this discussion

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019

No chance the XSX is at $399.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
With the impressive software sales we can bury the excuse for games performing bad "because of Corona"

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing numbers. They're setting records even as the PS4 is heading out the door and without first party acting as a keystone. Looks like Sony is well prepared for the transition away from pure consoles sold to actually showing how productive the ecosystem is.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Damn, this is extremely impressive to be happening so late in the PS4's lifecycle. It also makes me wonder how close the PS4 will come to PS2 LTD sales if it's still selling like this.

Why doesn't sony give title sales anymore

:(

Yeah, that's a bit disappointing. I want to know if Spiderman hit 15 mil (or mio as some say) yet!

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Who would buy a $299 4tflop console that launches on the same day as a $399 12tflop console that plays the same games? I don't claim to have clairvoyance about pricing, but MS isnt the only console manufacturer that knows how to price aggressively. Matter of fact, MS hasn't priced its hardware aggressively at launch in many years, so...

For some reason, Lockhart and its price is not factored into this $399 Series X.

Some ppl expect MS to take a big loss on both their consoles?

Whoo boy.....lol

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
Sony probably wouldn't minding waiting another year to release the PS5. If it wasn't for the XSX they could easily hold off another year and still make great numbers.

No wonder why they're holding off on PS5 info, they don't want to cause any disturbance in the PS4.

Jun 23, 2019
There is a very little chance XSX is at $400 imo. I would love that to spur competition, but MS has set expectations for their hardware at $500, and the Bill of Materials for XSX is gonna be too high to sell at $400. XB1 was at $500, X1X was $500, XSX will be $500.

PS5 at its specs I expect will land at $450, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was $500 either.

I'm not saying that I believe the XSX will be at $399 myself. I wouldn't say that $499 is set in stone especially since Lockhart hasn't been formally introduced and could possibly be scrapped due to changing plans. MS being able to comfortably sell the XSX could cause that.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, Lockhart and its price is not factored into this $399 Series X.

Some ppl expect MS to take a big loss on both their consoles?

Whoo boy.....lol

Yeah I have said many times that I expect MS's "aggressive pricing" to be focused on Lockhart, there is no business sense in releasing a "budget box" and a "premium box" if you plan to run both boxes well below BoM. Normally you take the hit on the budget model and break even or profit from the premium model.

Anyone expecting a $399 XSX is setting themselves up for disappointment imo. Same for PS5, but then again Sony has a history at that price point, one box to price, and more incentive to push boxes than MS

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
the support, quality and longevity Sony gives to their home console is amazing and they deserve the recognition they have for such a fantastic job.

when you buy a Playstation you can rest assure that you'll get your money back for at least the next 7 years.

and when people ask why PlayStations sell so much, the answer is this easy: games.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil

Off topic, but... If Lockhart is indeed 1080p, it would be kind of redundant because PS4 is still around, probably cheaper, and most of the games would be cross-gen anyway. At this point I think MS should ask themselves and make it be a "reconstructed 4K" system while the XSX would be a "native 4K" one or just make it a PS Vita TV thing, just compatible with xCloud and Game Pass by $99. I think PS4 will be the main competitor to Lockhart, not the PS5. I'm just guessing, anyway.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Who knows, but the current sales trajectory doesn't bode well for selling another 40 million to reach PS2's record 150M.
A decline from almost 18M to 13.5M in one year. The Switch is currently at it's peak, the PS5 is around the corner, sales of the PS4 will only go down from here.

Price is key here, and in 2019 the PS4's price made it a tougher sell since people want a cheap console at this point. Releases are another factor. Days Gone and Death Stranding were big games, but they are nowhere near as big as FF7 Remake, The Last of Us: Part II and even Ghost of Tsushima is getting better traction being an open world samurai game. Then there are the 3rd party new IPs like Avengers, Cyberpunk 2077 and big sequels like AC and CoD. Early 2021 should still have big 3rd party releases planned too at the very least.

So what Im saying is that the PS4 still has a lot of software support and it can run those games way better than the PS3 could with games at the same point in its lifecycle, even more so with the PS4 Pro. Sony just needs to drop the price to keep it going and that alone will open up the PS4 to smaller markets around the world where it is still too expensive.