• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
These are some takeaways from the financial webcast that has just concluded.

twinfinite.net

Sony Has Secured Enough PS5 Chipsets to Achieve Fiscal Year Sales Target

Today, during Sony’s quarterly conference call for investors and analysts, chief financial officer Hiroki Totoki talked about the company's ability to
Asked about the ongoing semiconductor shortage, Totoki-san mentioned that the target of PS5 units to be shipped this year has been set and Sony has secured the number of chipsets necessary to achieve that target.
Earlier in the call they mentioned that they are still on target for 14.8 Million PS5s shipped in this financial year, leading to 22.6 Million shipped by March 31st 2022.

twinfinite.net

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and MLB The Show 21 Exceeded Expectations; Sony Comments on Acquisitions

During Sony’s quarterly conference call for investors, chief financial officer Hiroki Totoki talked about the PlayStation business.

Sales of first-party software decreased year-on-year during the quarter due to the comparison with The Last of Us Part II. That being said, sales of all games launched by Sony between April and June including Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and MLB The Show 21 exceeded the company's expectations.

In particular, MLB The Show 21 contributed "significantly" to sales and profits during the quarter thanks in part to strong DLC sales.

They have also talked briefly about accelerating acquisitions and how Nixxes will be used for both ports as well as supporting all of PlayStation Studios in a horizontal manner:

He also added that PlayStation Studios is accelerating investments to strengthen its production capabilities, mentioning the acquisition of Housemarque as an example and that seven of Sony's thirteen studios have been acquired.

Totoki-san also mentioned the acquisition of Nixxes, which has "excellent technology for porting game software between different platforms such as PC." Sony expects that "Nixxes will offer technological support to all of its studios in a horizontal manner."

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
hoping to be able to get one by mid 2022

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that giant thread about how Sony was taking an L from The Show being on Gamepass?

lol

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The nixxes thing makes sense, they seem to have the talent to be useful to both PS studios and PC.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Very happy if they're satisfied with Ratchet and Clank sales, that will probably motivate Sony to keep producing a healthy variety of games targetting different demographics.

Not everything needs to be Naughty Dog games.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Very happy if they're satisfied with Ratchet and Clank sales, that will probably motivate Sony to keep producing a healthy variety of games targetting different demographics.

???

If there's something Sony has done well is to have some variety in their lineup. Granted, not every game is a hit - and that's where they need more consistency - but they usually have something for everyone.

Oct 31, 2017
I knew they bought Nixxes for more than just porting games to PC. It would be a total waste if they were used only as a port studio. No reason they can't support Sony's first party studios, and this report proves it. Nice to see R&C and MLB The Show doing better than expectations.

ozumas

Born to be Wise and Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 15, 2020

This.
I LOVE ND games as much as the next guy but we need variety in games and I dont want Ratchet and clank dont getting new releases if It doesnt sell as well.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Great news.

Interesting to see that Sony was able to get all the chips they needed.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
???

If there's something Sony has done well is to have some variety in their lineup. Granted, not every game is a hit - and that's where they need more consistency - but they usually have something for everyone.

Imo the games they tend to market the most or with the highest budget tend to be aimed towards young adults instead of a wider demographic. And honestly with PS5 I think they're already on a better track than they ever were with PS4 in that regards.

Hopfully we also get a big budget Astrobot game which seems to have been hinted at recently.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool!
I wonder if the chip production is getting better, or Sony just moved specially fast (or expensive) to get them.

At any case, PS5 is obviously a beast.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru

They just released Miles Morales, Returnal, Ratchet and Demon's Souls… but yeah keep parroting that stuff. Hell even Astro was included as a freebie and that was a nice 3-4 hours long game.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
They just released Miles Morales, Returnal, Ratchet and Demon's Souls… but yeah keep parroting that stuff.
Sorry if I hit a nerve but two of the games you mentioned decidly target an older demographic than Ratchet and Clank which is what I meant. Should Have worded it better than Naughty Dog games.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Platform Warring
Wow, Gamepass apparently also helps sales on other platforms!

slight /s

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Sorry if I hit a nerve but two of the games you mentioned decidly target an older demographic than Ratchet and Clank which is what I meant. Should Have worded it better than Naughty Dog games.
No, you didn't hit a nerve, and wow. I'll leave it at that because this discussion is not worth having at 4 am. How does Miles Morales (the one that's selling hugely compared to the rest) target an older demographic?

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't there a bunch of people on Era trying to suggest that Ratchet & Clank under performed in a sales data thread recently? Shocking.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Weren't there a bunch of people on Era trying to suggest that Ratchet & Clank under performed in a sales data thread recently? Shocking.
Yeah, that was a wild thread and it kept going for hours for no reason. It was weird to see considering we knew it was the fastest selling RnC title despite the higher price point.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
No, you didn't hit a nerve, and wow. I'll leave it at that because this discussion is not worth having at 4 am. How does Miles Morales (the one that's selling hugely compared to the rest) target an older demographic?

By two games I meant Returnal and Demon's Souls, even Miles Morales which is obviously more accessible will still be more appreciated by an older audience generally.

My only point is that I hope Sony sees the success of Ratchet and Clank as jumping off point to produce more games like Sackboy, Astrobot and give it equal marketing and budget as what they consider their "prestige games".

I wish you'd respond less agressively to what I thought was mild criticism..

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
Man I wish Nixxes would be used as some sort of emulation/BC team, something like the BC team on xbox

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

Sony only wanting Naughty Dog-level games was always a bad take anyway.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Sony only wanting Naughty Dog-level games was always a bad take anyway.
Yeah I realized I should have rephrased my sentiment better by saying that I felt like the games they produced tend to aim at an older demographic while Ratchet and Clank can reach a wider audience while still reaching the quality and polish you expect from a Sony first party title and I hope they find a good balance and variety in that regards going forward.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Returnal has a strong word of mouth effect going on. I think and hope that it will perform well in the long run.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
By two games I meant Returnal and Demon's Souls, even Miles Morales which is obviously more accessible will still be more appreciated by an older audience generally.

My only point is that I hope Sony sees the success of Ratchet and Clank as jumping off point to produce more games like Sackboy, Astrobot and give it equal marketing and budget as what they consider their "prestige games".

I wish you'd respond less agressively to what I thought was mild criticism..
Then you should've made that very clear in your first post, as it's impossible to discern with the "Naughty Dog games" line even if you mention targeting different demographics.
The "Sony/Naughty Dog template" meme is what one would understand you're referring to from your initial post, which as said by another user, is a terrible take to begin with.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Then you should've made that very clear in your first post, as it's impossible to discern with the "Naughty Dog games" line even if you mention targeting different demographics.
The "Sony/Naughty Dog template" meme is what one would understand you're referring to from your initial post, which as said by another user, is a terrible take to begin with.

Eh I still think your response was disproportionate in comparison to what I said but at least this was cleared up.

Sackboy, Astro's Playroom and Ratchet?

I already explained my stance better in this thread itself.
[h4][/h4]

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet exceeding expectations is good to see. Means we will hopefully have at least one more game this gen.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Earlier in the call they mentioned that they are still on target for 14.8 Million PS5s shipped in this financial year, leading to 22.6 Million shipped by March 31st 2022.

So Sony expects to sell other 12M until late March 2022. Is that right?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
*something something consolidation blah blah*

This is all good news. And OF COURSE Game Pass was good for Sony. I refuse to believe that Sony didn't know about Game Pass deal (though, it is not technically impossible). They may not have liked it for various reasons, but it made sense and they knew it.

All First Party games released in Q1 surpassed expectations, which would include Returnal
OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Okay, the replay is up, and I have verified the statement in the quoted.
discussed in 5 mintues
Sony did indeed confirm that all the games released in the last quarter surpassed expectations, which means Returnal did exceed their expectations as well.

Oct 30, 2017
Great news floating all around for Sony.

And happy to see the big success my favorite platforming franchise is achieving <3

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Okay, the replay is up, and I have verified the statement in the quoted.
discussed in 5 mintues
Sony did indeed confirm that all the games released in the last quarter surpassed expectations, which means Returnal did exceed their expectations as well.
Housemarque >>>>
Such a wonderful game, thoroughly enjoying my time with it, love the success.
Hoping for more content and something bigger after

That thread with multiple speculation saying otherwise seems like a joke now

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So....does this mean stock is about to improve?

Madness they are already at 10 million sold tho....despite everything else going on.

Absolute madness.

Remember that giant thread about how Sony was taking an L from The Show being on Gamepass?

lol

"But they are just a port studio"
Wow, Gamepass apparently also helps sales on other platforms!

slight /s

Exactly. Some wild times in here the past 2 years.
The nixxes thing makes sense, they seem to have the talent to be useful to both PS studios and PC.
With Herman tweeting how they helped with Killzone Shadow fall, you thought that would have been enough....

ArcheTenix

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 22, 2021
Them securing the necessary chips doesn't really offer much information. It could be they significantly revised down their shipping estimates relative to chip availability. Fundamentally, we don't know what their estimate was before and after finding out how many chips they could get, and whether this means supply of the console will improve throughout international markets.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
*something something consolidation blah blah*

This is all good news. And OF COURSE Game Pass was good for Sony. I refuse to believe that Sony didn't know about Game Pass deal (though, it is not technically impossible). They may not have liked it for various reasons, but it made sense and they knew it.

What exactly are you trying to say? Maybe you are quoting someone I have on ignore. Is this in reference to MLB? MLB had a record year last year as well.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Hopefully this is a good sign that the chip shortage will be getting better soon for everyone.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Them securing the necessary chips doesn't really offer much information. It could be they significantly revised down their shipping estimates relative to chip availability. Fundamentally, we don't know what their estimate was before and after finding out how many chips they could get, and whether this means supply of the console will improve throughout international markets.
They said in the same webcast that their target is unchanged from earlier this year where they stated 14.8M units is their shipment target for this fiscal

ArcheTenix

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 22, 2021
They said in the same webcast that their target is unchanged from earlier this year where they stated 14.8M units is their shipment target for this fiscal
Ah, okay. I'm not confident that amount will do much to replenish stock such that it's readily available. Guess I'll be waiting another year or so until I can get my hands on one.