Canada
Sony let's do this:

- Buy kojima productions
- Buy the metal gear and silent hill licenses from konami
- $$$$$$$$$$$

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I'd like to see Sony acquiring a Japanese game studio specializing in JRPGs. I really crave a AAA JRPG series beside Final Fantasy (way too slow in their output), Dragon Quest (a bit too traditional for my tastes) and Xenoblade (sequels did imo not reach the quality of the original).

Apart from that I think Remedy, Bluepoint Games and Kojima Productions are not unlikely studio acquirements in the coming months/years.

I can't see why Sony isn't paying attention to whats happening with Nintendo and Monolith. I swear Nintendo bought that company for pennies, and so far, they've put out critically acclaimed games in both Xenoblade 1, and Xenoblade X, as well as massive success, Xenoblade 2, on top of Monolith now being part of Zelda development. They've grown massively under Nintendo and it started with what? the relatively unknown Baten Kaitos?

Sony should've went after companies like Nihon Falcom, Nippon Ichi, and all the likes and bet on them with a budget. They might go somewhere.

Wouldn't that also be very difficult since they are a successful company?

Depends on if you look at Kadokawa overall or the actual Kadokawa gaming and the other subsidiaries.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Sony, please don't acquire any JRPG studios. No one play those games, it would be a waste of money ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Fuck that "both sides" noise.

His fans are excited for his next project. Nothing wrong with that.

The haters are dreaming for him to fail so they can talk more shit. Now that is embarrassing.

If you hate someone or their works then fuck off and talk about stuff you do like.

This. It's beyond me why people waste their time on negativity. If a game isn't something I'd be interested in, I don't even bother going to its thread. Let alone, be a party pooper by posting how uninteresting it's to me.

I wager that much of the hate stems from exclusivity, and it would be milder if it was coming to all platforms.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
KojiPro still have to make a few games before Sony buy them and as they fully produced their first game, it doesn't make sense to buy them now. From Software doesn't make sense either as they are a fully multiplat developer: consoles and PC.

Gendesign would work but I don't think the CEO would want it as he already left Sony to be independent.

Remedy could make sense are their games are OK, but I think Sony have enough of those studios making TPS story driven games, particularly when they just bought Insomniac and they are also a multiplat studio.

For me there are 2 acquisitions that are totally logical in a way that people wouldn't bat an eyelid if Sony bought them:

Housemarque and Bluepoint Games.

Oct 29, 2017
I think that Remedy would be a good fit for Sony, and whilst they have made noise about wanting to remain independent I think that being associated with Sony in the gaming industry has a prestige of its own nowadays.
How often do we see 10+ millions sellers from exclusive titles? How many have we seen from Sony this gen? We then have Death Stranding and The Last of Us II which are all but guaranteed to reach the milestone. What independent studio is going to see sales figures like that and not want a piece of the pie?

In terms of likely acquisitions, Housemarque and Bluepoint are at the top of my list.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone loves to focus on Shu visiting Remedy, but his visit to HouseMarque is barely mentioned...

Y'all suck and I hope Sony is funding a new Resogun.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Remedy had Max Payne rights, Max Payne and Sony seems like dream match.

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
If SIE were to buy a Japanese developer, Level-5 would make sense. And I'm not just saying that because of my love for Dark Cloud. 😭

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone loves to focus on Shu visiting Remedy, but his visit to HouseMarque is barely mentioned...

Y'all suck and I hope Sony is funding a new Resogun.
It's believed Sony are funding their next project after the BR game they are doing, due to that, HM refer to it as their AAA project, so probably not Resogun 2.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
i agree
the history tell us the idea of acquisition Remedy make no sense
+
Sony never did acquisition for any Japanese studios ever
so if we will see another acquisitions it will be just western studios
Yep.

I don't see Sony acquire any Japanese studios ever. They have Japan Studio for a reason, a mother base for independent studios. External producers work with those studios + they have a Tokyo Studio inside Japan Studio. That's enough said Shawn Layden. Polyphony Digital is already that racing genre studio.

If authentic RPGs were made it will come out of Tokyo Studio and independent studios. Acquire a studio or create a new studio will only make things complicated for Japan Studio. We have From Software, MediaVision (132 people since April 2018 sounds more possible now) and Tokyo Studio to make authentic RPGs.

If there was an expansion in form of a newcomer it will most likely be someone who found his own company that Japan Studio has had long relationship with before. Japan is a different market where companies rather want to be independent than being owned by a corporate. It's not very often companies get acquired in Japan.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Yep.

I don't see Sony acquire any Japanese studios ever. They have Japan Studio for a reason, a mother base for independent studios. External producers work with those studios + they have a Tokyo Studio inside Japan Studio. That's enough said Shawn Layden. Polyphony Digital is already that racing genre studio.
I tend to agree.

Era posters also tell me that Japanese labour market laws make it nearly impossible to lay-off workers or close down studios in Japan, and I'd imagine that that lack of flexibility makes Japanese studio acquisitions very unappealing.

IMHO Japan Studio already punches below its weight for Sony, given its huge size.

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to agree.

Era posters also tell me that Japanese labour market laws make it nearly impossible to lay-off workers or close down studios in Japan, and I'd imagine that that lack of flexibility makes Japanese studio acquisitions very unappealing.

IMHO Japan Studio already punches below its weight for Sony, given its huge size.

I would really like see Japan make an AAA game with the same budget and support as the Western studios. I think it's kinda ridiculous that only locally owned and massive studio for Sony never gets a chance to elevate themselves. The talent is there.

PayaV87

Banned
Apr 15, 2018
Supermassive Games and Quantic Dream would fit Sony well, but both of them are seemingly distancing themselves from Sony now.

Jeez, Detroit and Until Dawn were to really great game, and I love to see these studios with big budget again.

Nov 21, 2017
Supermassive Games and Quantic Dream would fit Sony well, but both of them are seemingly distancing themselves from Sony now.

Jeez, Detroit and Until Dawn were to really great game, and I love to see these studios with big budget again.

Even with Man of Medan being Multiplatform, SuperMassive confirmed they are still working on a PlayStation Exclusive. Quantic Dram and SIE's partnership though is done.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even with Man of Medan being Multiplatform, SuperMassive confirmed they are still working on a PlayStation Exclusive. Quantic Dram and SIE's partnership though is done.
It's not just Man of Medan being multiplatform, it's only one game out of a number of multiplatform games SuperMassive are making that will make up the Dark Pictures Anthology series for the next several years.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017
It's not just Man of Medan being multiplatform, it's only one game out of a number of multiplatform games SuperMassive are making that will make up the Dark Anthology series for the next several years.
Still doesn't change the fact that SuperMassiveGames have confirmed they are working on a PlayStation exclusive. I don't see Sony acquiring them though.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still doesn't change the fact that SuperMassiveGames have confirmed they are working on a PlayStation exclusive. I don't see Sony acquiring them though.
I just don't see Supermassive having the bandwidth of working on the Dark Pictures Anthology multiplatform series of games and working on a Playstation exclusive.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't matter if you don't see it, all that matters is that Super Massive Games themselves confirmed it.

I've already read that. If you read what I wrote, at no point did I doubt that they confirmed it. It's just given how long term a project the Dark Pictures Anthology series is with the ambitious schedule of 2 games a year for at least 8 games, I have raised my doubts on them being able to work on another PS exclusive, at least on the same scale as Until Dawn. Perhaps these PS exclusives are smaller VR experiences like Until Dawn: Rush of Blood and Hidden Agenda.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to pick a studio that would fit well with Sony it would be Kojima Productions by far. It just makes so much sense, I guess Sony are looking to see how Death Stranding does first (no brainer I know!)

Nov 21, 2017
I've already read that. If you read what I wrote, at no point did I doubt that they confirmed it. It's just given how long term a project the Dark Pictures Anthology series is with the ambitious schedule of 2 games a year for at least 8 games, I have raised my doubts on them being able to work on another PS exclusive, at least on the same scale as Until Dawn. Perhaps these PS exclusives are smaller VR experiences like Until Dawn: Rush of Blood and Hidden Agenda.

And if you looked at my original comment to PayaV87 I was simply informing him/her Super Massive Games have not necassirally distanced themselves from SIE. Not once did bring up the scale of whatever the title would be or when it would come out. I know the studio is all hands on deck on that Anthology series. The PlayStation exclusive could be 5 years away for all we know. Was simply stating that unlike Quantic Dream Super Massive's Relationship with SIE isn't done. Also I agree with what you said this future exclusive is likely on the small end like the VR and PlayLink games they did for SIE.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And if you looked at my original comment to PayaV87 I was simply informing him/her Super Massive Games have not necassirally distanced themselves from SIE. Not once did bring up the scale of whatever the title would be or when it would come out. I know the studio is all hands on deck on that Anthology series. The PlayStation exclusive could be 5 years away for all we know. Was simply stating that unlike Quantic Dream Super Massive's Relationship with SIE isn't done. Also I agree with what you said this future exclusive is likely on the small end like the VR and PlayLink games they did for SIE.
Yeah, that's my fault. My bad. I just wanted to interject myself in your conversation in order to raise my doubts. LOL. Your point still stands about Supermassive still working with Sony.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
If I had to pick a studio that would fit well with Sony it would be Kojima Productions by far. It just makes so much sense, I guess Sony are looking to see how Death Stranding does first (no brainer I know!)
as i said in a previous post, getting kojima productions is not smart as its dependent on one name, if kojima decides to leave for whatever reason almost the whole value of the studio drops, its just much better to keep them with a close contract than outright acquiring them.

Nov 21, 2017
Yeah, that's my fault. My bad. I just wanted to interject myself in your conversation in order to raise my doubts. LOL. Your point still stands about Supermassive still working with Sony.

No problem we all good. I definitely agree the exclusive they are making for Sony is most likely a smaller scale VR or PlayLink style project though as Super Massive Games confirmed they don't want to spread themselves to thin on multiple projects like they did a few years ago and the bulk of the team is pretty much working on that Anthology series for the next few years.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Honest question. With Kojima turning 56, him being the main draw of the whole thing and games taking years to develop, isn't he a little old for Sony to acquire KojiPro now?

I mean sure, there's a lot of talent there, but they would probably have to overpay massively for an acquisition that has 2, 3 games max in the tank. Unless Kojima wants to work until he's 75 or 80 or something.

Oct 27, 2017
as i said in a previous post, getting kojima productions is not smart as its dependent on one name, if kojima decides to leave for whatever reason almost the whole value of the studio drops, its just much better to keep them with a close contract than outright acquiring them.

Why does everyone assume that Kojima doesn't have colleagues or protégés who could pick up the creative slack once he's ready to leave development?

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
If they got Remedy on top of Insomniac Sonys first party tech which is god tier will just be insane. Remedy and insomniac both have incredible in house tech that they use and develop I believe

Oct 25, 2017
Why does everyone assume that Kojima doesn't have colleagues or protégés who could pick up the creative slack once he's ready to leave development?

I don't understand it either. He is special, but it's not a one man show.

Honest question. With Kojima turning 56, him being the main draw of the whole thing and games taking years to develop, isn't he a little old for Sony to acquire KojiPro now?

I mean sure, there's a lot of talent there, but they would probably have to overpay massively for an acquisition that has 2, 3 games max in the tank. Unless Kojima wants to work until he's 75 or 80 or something.

Why not? People that actually love what they don't tend to retire until they can't really do it any more. I think he has a lot of ideas he didn't get to explore with Konami. I could see him going another 15 years.

That being said KojiPro is not really a priority acquisition IMO even though I may seem to advocate why it would a fine move.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
because that worked well for konami didnt it.
also a lot of his colleagues will leave with him most likely.

I'm not talking about Kojima leaving to form a new development company, I mean him having a successor who can be a creative lead at KojiPro in ten or fifteen years if/when he decides to step back from front line development and take on more of a producer/advisory/executive role.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Quite the opposite, he's at his prime creatively speaking , we go through the same creative enlightenment as we do in our 20s at this age. There's alot left for Kojima and I'm sure he's readying younger talent to make the studio a success long after he's gone.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'd say Kojima is seeing that. Sony would have "bought" his new company day 1 if the option was there. They sweteneed him instead, game engine, helping out with actors, studio, giving him freedom, etc. Kojima and Insomniac are the two studios Sony wouldn't wait to see how they do.. they'd just get them if a possibility was there.