• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Looking at the OP (connector in the bottom) it seems to be just a USB pendrive.

Maybe it's a way to sell their games in a more compact or cheaper way than in these 100+ GB bluray for PS5.

It seems to have this hole that reminds me of the cards (not cartridges) they use to sell digital games, PS+ or PS credit. So maybe they want to have a way to sell retail games in a more compact way than in boxed discs.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Japan is all mobile/portable gaming now so I don't blame them, but I was betting in a streaming only device.

Oct 30, 2017
Would be sweet to see a unique cartridge and new cases for the PS5.

Portable gaming is still a profitable area that they need to take seriously considering the market size. But it would have to be a portable system that would allow you to take your PS5 games on the go without limiting the power and quality of the base PS5 console, otherwise its completely pointless.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I would do terrible things for a portable TLoU.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
I'm not sure where this idea that equivalent capacity flash storage is cheaper than optical media (mass-produced ROM) comes from.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Cartridges just make sense. If Sony can make em cheap then they'd be so much better than Blu Ray disks for home consoles. I'd love for them to pave the way for faster loading times and smaller consoles.

Not sure why you're surprised. The forum is a Nintendo hive. Obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe the level of discourse around here.
You haven't been paying much attention since this site opened if you think Nintendo is the standout preference here on Era. Reflecting the market situation rn, PlayStation has always been ERA's favorite machine, for better or worse, and if you haven't seen that, well, it's not hard to imagine why, lol. Talking about obnoxious when you used to waltz into crossplay threads just to say "lol nobody gives a FUCK about this"... doesn't leave you with much room to point fingers.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Cartridges just make sense. If Sony can make em cheap then they'd be so much better than Blu Ray disks for home consoles.

You're high as fuck.
Or you just haven't been paying much attention since this site opened if you think Nintendo is the standout preference here on Era.
Why would they be better than bluray? Bluray is cheaper, has more storage and the next ps will need a bluray drive for movies. Bluray sounds much better for them

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
PS5 is gonna be called PSV isn't it
It wont stay dead.
tenor.gif

Oct 30, 2017
Why would they be better than bluray? Bluray is cheaper, has more storage and the next ps will need a bluray drive for movies. Bluray sounds much better for them

Cartridges enable much faster load times and much smaller form factors. I forgot about movies though, lmao

Yeah movies is a good point. But Sony also didn't include a UHD Bluray in the pro, so... even though it seems unlikely they woiodnt include a disk drive, part of me wouldn't be surprised to see no optical drive if they chose cartridges.

Like people keep saying, the future is digital. We are also potentially getting streaming only consoles next gen as a second option and xbox is already releasing a discless console soon.

Was the max storage of UHD Blurays? Would a cartridge cost more to manufacture?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Games are typically installed on the hard drive so load times aren't that important. The next ps should have an ssd standard
that would be nice. I wrote off SSDs in consoles a long time ago bc we always just end up with slow cheap hdds in our consoles anyway, maybe we'll see that next generation.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously cartridges won't replace Blu Ray just because of this patent. Sony recently released 128GB BDXL which I think is far more likely to be used for next-gen games.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah movies is a good point. But Sony also didn't include a UHD Bluray in the pro, so... even though it seems unlikely they woiodnt include a disk drive, part of me wouldn't be surprised to see no optical drive if they chose cartridges.

Like people keep saying, the future is digital. We are also potentially getting streaming only consoles next gen as a second option and xbox is already releasing a discless console soon.

Was the max storage of UHD Blurays? Would a cartridge cost more to manufacture?
A uhd bluray should I expect cost a lot less than a cartridge. Switch cartridges are significantly more expensive than a standard bluray disc. A uhd bluray I would not expect to be much more expensive than a standard disc

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Why would that bother you? lol if you don't want it portable then keep it connected to your TV... How is choice a bad thing?

Because portable means it will be underpowered which means it will not be a generational leap. It also means the next generation VR devices will be worse of too because horsepower is super important there. I care more about these things then being able to play for a few minutes during commute. I suspect millions of people buy a playstation for that reason.

I do not care for Handheld gaming and gloing hybrid will have severe tradeoffs.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Because portable means it will be underpowered which means it will not be a generational leap. It also means the next generation VR devices will be worse of too because horsepower is super important there. I care more about these things then being able to play for a few minutes during commute. I suspect millions of people buy a playstation for that reason.

I do not care for Handheld gaming and gloing hybrid will have severe tradeoffs.
+1

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Games are typically installed on the hard drive so load times aren't that important. The next ps should have an ssd standard
Yeah, the only real advantages for solid state now are those that benefit portable devices (durability, footprint, energy draw, no moving parts). As long as you're making a stationary box that goes nowhere else you might as well use optical.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
This really doesn't need to mean anything relating to the PS line of product.

SIE has a patent out for the reconstruction of a 3D human.

https://patents.google.com/patent/G...e=Sony+Interactive+Entertainment+Inc&sort=new
btw, it's not just patent, they have implementation in Sony Xperia phones

though, it's indeed weird that they applied this patent under SIE name. That technology was developed by other Sony division.

edit: on second thought, by reading those docs, seems like it's much more complex system, not just AR.

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Oh look, another proprietary format Sony will try to force on the market...

Add it to the pile
3594683295_60d5780b1c.jpg

video-8-small.jpg

PS1_Original_1MB_Memory_Card.jpg

PS2_8MB_Memory_card.jpg

250px-Multicolor.JPG

3111Z1CYZGL._SX355_.jpg

41z4sHLAYYL.jpg

images

51pJbQPtndL._SX385_.jpg

pic_overview03.jpg
There were different brands of Mindiscs, both the discs themself and the players. I know that both JVC and Panasonic produced their own Minidisc player. It was not a proprietary format in the sense like PS1 and PS2 memory cards, that only had one usage for one device. Which memory solution were used by other in the PS1 and pre-PS2 era by the way?

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Not sure why you're surprised. The forum is a Nintendo hive. Obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe the level of discourse around here.

These kind of people are the worst and what I've learned is just to put them on ignore and not deal with them period. But that goes for any extreme side on this site so I would just see it as it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.