• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced that it will change its organizational structure effective April 1, 2018, to further reinforce its business and operational strength to continue to spearhead and remain the leader in the constantly evolving business environment.

Effective April 1, sales and marketing divisions that currently exist within Sony Interactive Entertainment America (SIEA, Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIEE) and Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia (SIEJA) will report directly to Jim Ryan, Deputy President and Head of Global Sales and Marketing, SIE.

In order to ensure coordination between organizations and support functions that are overseen locally, John Kodera, President and CEO, SIE, and Jim Ryan will assume the role of executive in charge of regions, Kodera with responsibility for Americas and Japan Asia and Ryan for Europe. Current SIEJA President Atsushi Morita will report directly to Kodera to support management of cross-functional activities for the Japan Asia markets.

Increasingly, the value of interactive entertainment is differentiated by the broad spectrum and depth of experiences that it provides to customers. As such, SIE's mission to create and develop the most attractive and powerful first party titles has become more important than ever. To fulfill this purpose, also effective April 1, Shawn Layden, current Chairman of Worldwide Studios (WWS) and SIEA President, will concentrate his focus on WWS continuing to provide platform-defining content that helps drive the growth of SIE.

Additionally, in the global functions, Phil Rosenberg*4 has been appointed Head of Global Publisher and Developer Relations as of January 2018, and Hideaki Nishino*5 will assume the role of Head of Platform Planning and Management effective April 1.

http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2018/180301.html

(I was lazy and copied the PR)

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
This all sounds good, especially, the part about increasing first party focus.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
The more first party games Sony gives me, the happier I will become, so a greater focus is nothing but welcome.

Oct 25, 2017
Increased first party focus you say? Bring it! Wonder if that means studio acquisition,Studio from the ground up, or simply expansion on the studios they have for possible two game teams

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Increased first party focus apparently means less first party games in their eyes going by their recent decisions.

Oct 30, 2017
They know long-term success is to have a library of first party developers and IPs. It's the one of the main reasons why Nintendo are so successful.

Oct 25, 2017
no i'm talking about their partnerships with 3rd party devs, and how they're not partnering with them.
What like getting a third party to make a game and ip they own? That's kinda hard nowadays

They partner with supermassive,insomniac and bluepoint a lot. But getting first party exclusives like blood borne are gonna be rare

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those Sony changes don't inspire confidence to be honest. They might even make more money in the end but ehh, from a consumer standpoint I'm not looking forward to the next years (aside from what's already in production).

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds great.

The first party thing is awesome, but it's also key that the marketing part of the org gets better. More than a couple games have launched with pretty much no marketing and almost flopped.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
sales and marketing divisions that currently exist within Sony Interactive Entertainment America (SIEA, Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIEE) and Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia (SIEJA) will report directly to Jim Ryan, Deputy President and Head of Global Sales and Marketing, SIE.
hopefully this means disparities in content between different regional stores stop

it really sucks that certain games are not available in europe when they're available in america

Oct 27, 2017
Unifying all region communications for consistency across all markets, and gearing up more first party investment for the PS4 and upcoming 5. Nice!

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
What like getting a third party to make a game and up they own? That's kinda hard nowadays
Is it really? Or are they're purposely moving away from them, because they're the market leader, so they don't really give a shit anymore, which is why I hope MS becomes more competitive.
And it's not that hard when you have Level 5 saying that they'd make a Dark Cloud 3 if Sony would fund it. And also when you consider they're spending money on VR games, obviously it aint that hard.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
There is one studio in my mind that would be a perfect fit.
giphy.gif

But I'm aware that Insomniac wants to be independent.
Still you never know.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I dont think that happened at all with first party titles this gen. I believe all of them got global releases

Not for 3rd-party games though.

It remains a pain point for devs that they basically have to submit at least 4 versions of their game if they want to get a truly 'global' release of their game out on Japan Store, Asia Store, US Store and EU/UK Store.

Many indie games pretty much don't even bother with an Asian release.

Thadeus

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 30, 2017
Those Sony changes don't inspire confidence to be honest. They might even make more money in the end but ehh, from a consumer standpoint I'm not looking forward to the next years (aside from what's already in production).

It's ALL i want. I buy a PS for the games… I don't care (but i understand) what their competitor is with BC or some service. It's good and compelling games i want.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really? Or are they're purposely moving away from them, because they're the market leader, so they don't really give a shit anymore, which is why I hope MS becomes more competitive.
And it's not that hard when you have Level 5 saying that they'd make a Dark Cloud 3 if Sony would fund it. And also when you consider they're spending money on VR games, obviously it aint that hard.
Yes they're spending money on vr it's their own platform? What a odd thing to say. Yes it is hard this isn't the ps2 days yes they are market leader but the Xbox is way more of a prominent figure in gaming now and Nintendo came out swinging as well. The amount of resources they'd have to put in to Get a third party to make a game exclusive to them is way more than doing it themselves.

They can say they want to make a game all they want I'm sure jaffe wouldn't mind making twisted metal but is it viable in the market, will it sell are things they have to look at. In regards to level 5 specifically if ni no kuni 2 does well perhaps they will find dark cloud 3

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
More First party focus hopefully translates to more First party games. Not just big ones but smaller titles as well.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Phil Rosenberg has always been the "Third-Party Guy."

He was Adam Boyes's boss the entire time.

The difference was that he didn't appear on-stage and was not really a public personality.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
This does suggest some sort of first party expansion - since it is Shuhei Yoshida who generally looks after the existing studios, could it be that Shawn Layden is looking at supervising some sort of acquisition? Perhaps due to the longer dev cycle of current-gen (and presumably next-gen), they are looking to expand the output so that we don't see the drought of first party AAA system sellers from early 2014-2016.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
This is for you Shawn, free of charge, just make a new Colony Wars for PS4VR in order to "provide platform-defining content that helps drive the growth of SIE."

You're welcome!

;)

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Yes they're spending money on vr it's their own platform? What a odd thing to say. Yes it is hard this isn't the ps2 days yes they are market leader but the Xbox is way more of a prominent figure in gaming now and Nintendo came out swinging as well. The amount of resources they'd have to put in to Get a third party to make a game exclusive to them is way more than doing it themselves.
And why are you talking about VR like it's regular First Party or even First Party, which was the topic of this conversation? You're now talking about something completely different so I don't know why you are. Lol, you talk about resources, when in reality, it's just money and you're acting like they don't have that. I mean honestly, what even is your argument when your pretty much admitting there are less 3rd party exclusives, or really why you are even arguing it in the first place. I already know the difference between the PS2 era and PS4 era in terms of "resources", that's not what I'm arguing about so I don't know why you are.