• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I had hard crashes on my PC three times in early access. Thought there was something wrong with my PC so I tested a few things and found no issue. Also no issue before or since. The game is a mess.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Powering down =/= Bricking.

First is reported on somewhat widely, but not before your post that Anthem actually bricks hardware.

Inappropriate power downs or any abnormal occurrences that causes such a thing could certainly brick a console. Any device that undergoes such strange stress can fail. Even I was nervous with the intense amount of cpu usage the game caused on my pc. I am told that's fine but ya I don't see that in any other game so it's not fine.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Inappropriate power downs or any abnormal occurrences that causes such a thing could certainly brick a console. Any device that undergoes such strange stress can fail. Even I was nervous with the intense amount of cpu usage the game caused on my pc. I am told that's fine but ya I don't see that in any other game so it's not fine.

You mean game capping out CPU to 100% on all cores? It seems to be a bug with Frostbite 3 engine as a whole, Battfield V also does it at times.

Game putting CPU under such heavy load while rare isn't HW damaging or killing type a deal if temperatures don't get out of hand. You will see performance issues in the game tho as CPU has no headroom left so some tasks may get backlogged, causing stutters etc.

Thing with it Anthem and BFV is that CPU seems to get "stuck" to 100% on all cores so matter scene, menu etc. it's 100%. That isn't common or normal behavior.

"No other game uses CPU over X % so game Y doing so is bad and game is fundamentally flawed" type of thinking remind me of people who freak the fuck out when they come across game or other software that actually uses RAM instead of hovering around something like 2 GB.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
The real PSA here is never buy digital games from Sony unless you are sure you are getting a quality product. Sony's policies around refunds are bad customer service at best.

Sorry Sony, I know Anthem isn't your fault, but your policies suck.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I have been enjoying my time with Anthem so wouldn't go as far as to ask for a refund however I have had a few scary crashes where I thought it had killed my PS4 Pro and it became completely unresponsive. The first time I thought it had shut my PS4 off but it would not restart with the controller or the buttons on the PS4. I left it "off" for 15 mins and then tried again but still nothing, in the end I had to kill the power at the plug and then turned it back on 5 mins later and it restarted but had to go through the whole process for inappropriate shutdown and rebuild the drive which was annoying as have a nearly full 2TB drive that took a good while to complete.

That has happened to me afew times now, probably 5 and I have no idea how to safely restart my PS4 from it or shut it down so worried one of these times it might actually brick it.

Had countless normal crashes where I can send the report to Sony with attached clip which I always do but these hard shutdown/lock up crashes are worrying.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
"No other game uses CPU over X % so game Y doing so is bad and game is fundamentally flawed" type of thinking remind me of people who freak the fuck out when they come across game or other software that actually uses RAM instead of hovering around something like 2 GB.

I'm not sure why you would be reminded of that but whatever. One could take the angle of "don't be worried as long as you have good fans but if you don't then that's on you." No the game shouldn't run a cpu like that end of story. Ps4s may not have the best cooling so a game that is so poorly optimized might cause a shutdown from overheating. It's still the games fault at the end of the day.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
I have been enjoying my time with Anthem so wouldn't go as far as to ask for a refund however I have had a few scary crashes where I thought it had killed my PS4 Pro and it became completely unresponsive. The first time I thought it had shut my PS4 off but it would not restart with the controller or the buttons on the PS4. I left it "off" for 15 mins and then tried again but still nothing, in the end I had to kill the power at the plug and then turned it back on 5 mins later and it restarted but had to go through the whole process for inappropriate shutdown and rebuild the drive which was annoying as have a nearly full 2TB drive that took a good while to complete.

That has happened to me afew times now, probably 5 and I have no idea how to safely restart my PS4 from it or shut it down so worried one of these times it might actually brick it.

Had countless normal crashes where I can send the report to Sony with attached clip which I always do but these hard shutdown/lock up crashes are worrying.
I had this happen one time (full power down, have to wait for the console to turn on again, rebuilding drive) but I was able to send an error report to Sony after it booted again. I hope it helps them/Bioware track down the issue because it really is scary...

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I had this happen one time (full power down, have to wait for the console to turn on again, rebuilding drive) but I was able to send an error report to Sony after it booted again. I hope it helps them/Bioware track down the issue because it really is scary...

So did your PS4 restart normally without having to kill the power after the hard crash? If so how long did you have to wait? I waited 15 mins but if I have to wait longer for it to restart itself without killing the power then that would be safer I guess.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
So did your PS4 restart normally without having to kill the power after the hard crash? If so how long did you have to wait? I waited 15 mins but if I have to wait longer for it to restart itself without killing the power then that would be safer I guess.
Yeah I had to wait for about 1 minute before the power button would finally respond again so compared to your situation that was relatively short. 15 minutes doesn't sound good :((....

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It might be unfair to say that Sony should've caught that during certification, but shouldn't they yank it from their online store until it's fixed?

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I understand that hard crashing is really not great, and pretty concerning. But this post has been blowing up, with articles starting to be written and spread online, yet nowhere does this poster mention how it's undeniably Anthem that's bricked his console. 'Some game' always ends up bricking people's bricked consoles by coincidence of what they were playing at the time.

I'm not saying Anthem didn't cause it - it very well may have, but I'd say the evidence (or lack of) is low right now.

It may very well be that the crash caused by Anthem is the last straw that finally broke his ps4.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It might be unfair to say that Sony should've caught that during certification, but shouldn't they yank it from their online store until it's fixed?
They should at least offer refunds, no questions asked. This issue is bad enough that even those who haven't experienced a problem might want a refund to avoid the issue. It's ridiculous that users have to perform a series of arcane rituals and jump through hoops to maybe possibly get lucky enough to get a refund.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

Dude, you have had 5 times of the occasion happening to you already, dont you think it's better to shelve the game right now just to be careful? I wouldn't tempt fate if I were you.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who gets the blue PlayStation screen all the time? Like I get hard crashes in Netflix, YouTube, and every five minutes in Fallout 76. It's not entirely surprising that a game like Anthem would have hard crashes too.
If it's the CE-34878-0 error, you should try with another HDD and a full software installation from scratch (not a backup). Then check first the games/apps that caused most crashes; if such problems persist, I'm afraid your unit is defective.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
I asked for a refund via chat, but was told that it wasn't their problem - that there is nothing they can do about it - and that maybe EA can offer a solution.

It is kind of mind-boggling to think that a non-physical game purchased from their store can not be refunded because their hands are somehow tied. Having purchased the majority of my PS software digitally, this is definitely making me reconsider that approach. I hate having to switch discs, but I can always use another platform for my multi-platform games going forward.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Good on Sony for issuing refunds for a broken product, but I wish publishers would go back to releasing their software in a finished state.

Without wanting to sound like an old man shouting at a cloud, I miss the days when you bought a disc and got a complete game!

I try and take a policy of buying games three months after launch, when they are patched and cheaper. But I get sucked into the hype and marketing quite often...I am weak!
Go back to? In the 80's the sequel to the hit Spectrum game Manic Miner was impossible to complete. They printed code in magazines that players had to enter after loading the game into RAM and before running it, to modify the code. That had to be done every time. In the 90's, Nintendo's DKC2 had a bug which could brick the game cart. And yes, actual bricking unlike what people keep talking about here. In the 00's, Metroid Prime had random crashes. It was fixed in later runs, but those who bought near launch were forever stuck with random crashes.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They refused to refund me because they refunded me once in the past years ago. I'm never buying digital again holy shit

Why I'm extra mad is I literally sent that thing you get when you have crashes, they have records of proof that my console has restarted

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, if this game bricks your console - who pays for your replacement? Surely, you're not out of pocket for that? Doubly glad I canceled my purchase of this game.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh... This seems super sketchy. How did it make it past certification? How did it even make it out of development in its current state?

Had no idea it was this bad, I was going to pick it up on a price drop but now I'm not so sure lol.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
No dude. FQA is mandatory, but it is not a deep dive into the performance of your game. It is a very cursory look at how certain basic functionalities are implemented that impact specific elements of the average user's experience (and in the case of VR, their comfort) and ensuring that certain basic branding guidelines are adhered to. It is a short process that takes place over a couple of days, that follows a specific checklist of major use cases.

It is also completely free, unless you submit multiple times in excess of what is acceptable, which is an exceptional and rare situation.

It's not their job to make sure your online component works, or that your game doesn't hard crash 30 hours in. It's not intended to be a subsition for good internal QA, and they make that expressedly clear.

From what I know of the QA folks, they are very patient, they take their work seriously, and in my experience with them over the last couple of years, have been pretty cool. :)

Quoting this again to help with all of the people trying to blame the certification done by Sony.

I will say that the problems people are having getting their money back from Sony is one of the very real reasons I do not like digital games. The refund aspect needs to be comprehensive and at the very least consumer neutral (instead of consumer friendly).

Jonscrambler

Nov 13, 2017
Torrance,CA
You two and everyone else saying it is sony's fault because it went through cert really don't understand QA testing at all, like even in the slightest.

This game probably went through cert with no issues. Seeing as it doesn't crash every ps4, then something specific must be done to cause it, which means that it is a bug that was not found during QA work. Cert wouldn't do an in depth QA testing with every possible permutation of variables.

where did I say anything about cert or QA? a game can't be allowed to hard crash the whole console, it's the console's OS's job the shut down any games/apps before that happens

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Go back to? In the 80's the sequel to the hit Spectrum game Manic Miner was impossible to complete. They printed code in magazines that players had to enter after loading the game into RAM and before running it, to modify the code. That had to be done every time. In the 90's, Nintendo's DKC2 had a bug which could brick the game cart. And yes, actual bricking unlike what people keep talking about here. In the 00's, Metroid Prime had random crashes. It was fixed in later runs, but those who bought near launch were forever stuck with random crashes.

Yep, the 1st Print run of MSR on the DC had huge bugs, Outrun wouldn't even work on White Saturns, you then had issues with Panzer Dragoon Orta and GV not working in 480p on Crystal Xbox, to go along with some models of PS2's not working with MGS2

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I'm playing since the launch and today I had my first crash. I just had to turn on via power button. Really scary stuff.

It's a shame because I'm having a good time with the game. Guess I'll wait a patch.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Do you think Sony should keep the game available to buy from their store even though it could damage people's systems?
You think they should pull a game from the Store because 1 anonymous person online claimed without evidence that it bricked their system? Ummm, don't you think that would set a very dangerous precedent? In that future anyone could go online, write a sob story anonymously, and the game would be removed from the Store.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
This is definitely not the press that Bioware wants given the game's review scores.

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You think they should pull a game from the Store because 1 anonymous person online claimed without evidence that it bricked their system? Ummm, don't you think that would set a very dangerous precedent? In that future anyone could go online, write a sob story anonymously, and the game would be removed from the Store.
I thought the issue was more widespread than that

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even the Anthem scandals are less interesting that the fallout 76 ones lol, at least the nylon thing was funny

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Damn. Really? Thanks dude. Will relay this info our customer if a crash occurs in our software next time. The more you know.

Source: Lockheed

CrM5M0r.png
Oh, you would say that some sandboxed software crashing CAN adversely affect the rest of the system?

I'd love to know how, could you be bothered to elaborate.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
- I don't think Sony is to blame for the bug
- it doesn't sound like they are issuing many refunds at this point
- I do believe it's turning people's consoles off
- I'm skeptical it's bricking any consoles
- this isn't the PR story BW needs right now!