• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Amazing system! I really thought they couldn't top the ps2 but they did.

EDIT: It was also their best looking system!

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'd imagine that we'll get fewer cross-gen games going forward as Sony begins to phase out the PS4.

Dec 2, 2020
Looks like it will be third best ever once Switch overtakes it by the end of the year.

PS4 is right up there as the best ever when it comes to exclusive games.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
Hardware shipments are one thing, but when it comes to revenue made PS4 is by far their best console gen.
This is a textbook example of a console gen where everything aligned for Sony. Good console, good library, no major fuck-ups or external events impacting the market.
The same cannot be said for the PS5 already. The shortages, disruption of the supply line, and upcoming recession may impact the hard-earned momentum.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I guess those reports of them upping shipments were wrong earlier this year if they aren't even showing up in reports anymore.

RIP to the Knack Machine.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Did MS ever report xbox one numbers? Any rough comparison? I'm seeing random bits of info re regional sales of series consoles again from them now that they are better again.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, game for game, this might actually be my favorite console of all time. It might even top the PS2, if. Or then it's close, followed by the PS1 and SNES. A massive step up from the PS3 generation, which totally sucked in retrospect.

Switch is great too and is up there imo.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 my favorite console since the 360 what a ride of memes,games, and entertainment.

It's still early as fuck, but I'm not sure my PS5 will hit those highs of the ps4 FOR ME.Hopefully we can see less cross-gen games now though.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
2dn Best PlayStation for me, but I think first in some time. (Maybe Third, I'm loving too much nostalgia of 1 and 2 too)

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that before the PS4 came out, people were coming out of the woodwork saying that consoles were dead & it would be mobile only going forward. Funny how that worked out.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Respect, those are damn solid numbers.

I wish my Pro was quieter, but still, this is the gen that got me back into consoles after being very let down by PS360 and sticking with PC that gen.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
what an absolute failure of a system, can't even beat the Vita

Screenshot-2022-08-10-at-16-48-18-List-of-best-selling-game-consoles-Wikipedia.png

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I remember the talk around 2013 was, "Consoles are dead, smartphones will eat their lunch".

After 2013, there's been two consoles with above 100 million sales. The PS4 and the Switch.

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
It feels crazy to stop reporting HW numbers when there are still AAA first party games coming to the console, but market realities and all, I suppose.

Speaking of, it's a bit of a shame the PS4 had its legs cut short so dramatically by the chip shortage and the almost sole focus on PS5, if only because it felt like this system still had a few more sales left in it.