• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
its-alive.jpg

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Right after Nintendo patched the 3Ds as well, the handheld war lives

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if only they put in as much effort into making games for it two years after launch as they are with patching exploits

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But why? It's an abandoned product, isn't it? Or is there some contract that forces them to do updates while games are being released for their device?

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
All just to counter the most recent 3.71 exploit. Seems a little petty to me, but what do I know.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
But why? It's an abandoned product, isn't it? Or is there some contract that forces them to do updates while games are being released for their device?
Kinda. I think they have stopped hardware production, and are soon to end physical games/cart production too. Theres still games coming out for it however, so its not completely abandoned yet. Some devices might see support to some degree for a while after production stops as well. Nintendo officially dropped support for the NES in 2007 for example. But yeah, there might be some contract saying that they have to protect against piracy attempts. Or maybe the security team feels obligated to do their work even at this stage in the device's life.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
As a developer I'm more impressed by their pipeline that allowed development, testing, and deployment of this fix the day after it was made public

Oct 28, 2017
As a developer I'm more impressed by their pipeline that allowed development, testing, and deployment of this fix the day after it was made public

fl0w said he knew about the exploits for a year, so its likely they did too and didn't want to bother pushing them until he publicised them, but who knows. Tinfoil hat time.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a dick move on Sony's part, yes, but remember what kind of things HENkaku can allow you to do. I can't blame Sony for trying to salvage as much as they can, even when there's not really much to salvage to begin with.

I'm perfectly fine with both my Vita 2000 and PSTV on 3.60. Spoofing works great, and I disabled AVLS and the pull-down lockscreen. Plus, VitaGrafx and overclocking. It's awesome.

I'm pretty sure everything related to HENkaku and h-encore is very well, and very publicly, documented by now.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Always weirded out by people saying it's a "dick move" or that this is evidence of hating the platform. You're messing with a machine with an active storefront. Of course they're gonna' do stuff.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Lol poor Vita, it's like it's waking up yelling "I'm free!" and Sony goes "Nope, back to sleep you go".

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Always weirded out by people saying it's a "dick move" or that this is evidence of hating the platform. You're messing with a machine with an active storefront. Of course they're gonna' do stuff.
Define "active".

Yes, I know what you mean but seriously, how much revenue can the Vita PSN be bringing in? I doubt it's enough to pay for even half the salary of the one or two guys on security patch duty

OP
OP
L.O.R.D

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
good news everyone

it still works

BTW, sony already knew about the patch months ago, and they updated the file 18 days ago, but kept it until he released the hack.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
time to put those tinfoil hats away, PS3 also got a firmware update today too and i'm guessing both of them got an update because of an upcoming law that goes into action in september for when you use a credit card to buy stuff online that requires you to enter an extra pin code